• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My 8 year old PC runs Elden Ring better than Sony's God of War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was with a deep feeling of anxiety that I booted up Elden ring this week, my PC is getting on you see. It was never the top of the range to begin with. I have a an i7 4770k and a 970.
I was expecting below 30fps almost unplayable. To my very pleasant surprise, apart from the opening area with the golden knight, the game runs at between 50 and 60fps at 1080p.
A month ago I started Sony's God of War on PC. This game runs like absolute trash. I have it set at 40fps lock because the frame pacing is insane. Even at 40fps the game dips to the 30s.
How does Sony get away with such bad optimization? People have had their knives out for Elden ring, but in my own experience GOW ran worse, had worse frame pacing issues and has less excuses. It is not an open world game. It uses the same generic enemies over and over again.. combat is locked in an arena 100% of the time.

I wont get into what I think of God Of War. Let's say I beat a few Valkyries and put it down. I will get back to it one day. I am still waiting for the main story to get good... I decided I was much better off spending my limited free time gitting gud.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
God Of War Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hinedorf

Banned
Elden Ring is a bit funky.... I've played for around 30 hours and the stuttering are totally random and highly inconsistent. I've had zero crashes throughout all of that time but did encounter 2-3 times where I totally locked up in some very intense situations.

Elden Ring is a bit funky.... I've played for around 30 hours and the stuttering are totally random and highly inconsistent. I've had zero crashes throughout all of that time but did encounter 2-3 times where I totally locked up in some very intense situations.
I had the same things. I also had GOW crash and be funky. GOW also makes my computer run like a jet engine.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nobody cares but there is a youtube video?
My point was that Elden ring runs fine but GOW runs like crap.

But your point isn’t a point because I just linked a YouTube video that tests it and it runs fine.

I had the same things. I also had GOW crash and be funky. GOW also makes my computer run like a jet engine.

Fuck kind of complaint is this?

So you created this thread just to smack?

Just me sharing an experience on two games I recently played. One is being attacked for poor optimization the other is not.. It isnt hard to understand.

Oh

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
My problem
I wont get into what I think of God Of War. Let's say I beat a few Valkyries and put it down. I will get back to it one day. I am still waiting for the main story to get good... I decided I was much better off spending my limited free time gitting gud.
My problem with modern God of war is my problem with almost every modern western adventure game these days. The characters won't shut the fuck up and a cinematic every 5 minutes. Same with hellblade, same with God of war, same with horizon, same with a plague tale etc etc. Do like botw/Nier/souls... Just let me play.

Guilty_AI

Elden ring doesn't really run poorly, it just doesn't scale properly with hardware. You can't go past 60 fps and game has terrible frame pacing regardless of what you do or your rig, not to mention the slowdowns in specific areas.

Last edited:
It was with a deep feeling of anxiety that I booted up Elden ring this week, my PC is getting on you see. It was never the top of the range to begin with. I have a an i7 4770k and a 970.
I was expecting below 30fps almost unplayable. To my very pleasant surprise, apart from the opening area with the golden knight, the game runs at between 50 and 60fps at 1080p.
A month ago I started Sony's God of War on PC. This game runs like absolute trash. I have it set at 40fps lock because the frame pacing is insane. Even at 40fps the game dips to the 30s.
How does Sony get away with such bad optimization? People have had their knives out for Elden ring, but in my own experience GOW ran worse, had worse frame pacing issues and has less excuses. It is not an open world game. It uses the same generic enemies over and over again.. combat is locked in an arena 100% of the time.

970?
pEGoNu0.gif

Itachi87

Opposite for me. God of war runs butter smooth and Elden Ring is a stuttering mess. I just stopped playing elden ring after an hour and won’t be picking it up until someone fixes that game. I have a 3080 with 3rd gen Ryzen 5900x for reference.

My problem

My problem with modern God of war is my problem with almost every modern western adventure game these days. The characters won't shut the fuck up and a cinematic every 5 minutes. Same with hellblade, same with God of war, same with horizon, same with a plague tale etc etc. Do like botw/Nier/souls... Just let me play.
I noticed that as well with most Western games. I think they do it because they know it seems like most modern gamers care more about story, writing and character development more than gameplay these days which I think is crazy.

VN1X

Banned
What is this thread?
It's like an infestation of braindead takes as of late. If it's not some random showerthought that popped into their heads its the poorly written or otherwise shoddy grammar ridden nonsense..

Just me sharing an experience on two games I recently played. One is being attacked for poor optimization the other is not.. It isnt hard to understand.
FqTnIFI.png

Guilty_AI

I noticed that as well with most Western games. I think they do it because they know it seems like most modern gamers care more about story, writing and character development more than gameplay these days which I think is crazy.
I'd be fine with it if these stories, writing and character development were at least good. Most stuff is on the level of fanfiction/generic webnovels.

Guilty_AI

Mine too. i5 6600k and 1070Ti.

Have no clue what the reviews talking about a great port were about.
A lot of people with ultra powerful rigs are used at running everything super butter smooth, and elden ring just doesn't even if you're on a rtx 3090. Consoles also have frame-pacing issues and can't keep consistent 60 fps.

Problem is, both console players and middle/low range pc players are just too used with these kinds of issues to find in themselves to complain, so we end up letting it go for the most part.
I mean, there are people who platinum Bloodborne with is sub 30fps along horrible stuttering/framepacing while 100% believing the game was running fine. Those people definitely aren't having a problem with Elden Ring.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Elden Ring suffers from shader compilation management, basically anytime something new is loaded, there will be stutter, in the DF video they stated it pretty clear, even the most power rig still stutter under even 720p with the lowest setting

Isn't that PC gaming in general tho? I mean there's so many variations in configuration that you can't expect everything to run like butter on your setup 🤷‍♂️ One game might run well while another doesn't, but then that might run well on a friend's rig and the one that runs well might constantly crash on another or work just as well.

I thought this was common knowledge within the PC community

Beechos

Im assuming elden ring still runs on the same old ass tech/engine as dark souls as opposed to gow which is a more modern engine with more modern hardware demands.

I see the playstation fan army attacking me just for pointing out a game from 2018 runs worse than a new game.
Maybe I should have compared a game like Devil may cry 5 to GOW. Dmc 5 runs at a locked 60 on my rig.
My point was GOW was a bad port that made me expect the worst for Elden ring.
My issues with GOW being not up to what I expected in game play and story has muddied the water with the rabid sony army.

I also got the impression that God of War is an unoptimized port. The people here whining because someone hasn't upgraded their GPU in a market with insane prices are some real weirdos.
Thank you. But it was my fault. I should not have complained about the quality of the "game" and just talked about optimization.

Not upgrading your PC for 8 years then complaining about performance is cringe
GOW is not a new game. Games from that same time period.. and even games releasing this year run better. I am sorry if I have confused this issue with my dislike for the game of GOW.

Papacheeks

Banned
Did you watch the video?
LOL it drops from 55 to 40 when spin the camera.

A 970 is from fucking 2014? It’s almost as old as a PS4 gen.

Seriously stop being a cheap fuck. Your pc is old as shit.

No wonder you are having issues.

Can we close this dumb ass thread? There’s so many threads on pc/performance fir both games.

God people like you should maybe research before you hit the post button.

Last edited:

Skifi28

GOW is not a new game. Games from that same time period.. and even games releasing this year run better. I am sorry if I have confused this issue with my dislike for the game of GOW.

Games are not optimised for old GPUs unfortunately. Back in the day a 750ti would get you better performance than a PS4, not so much these days. GoW might be an old game but the port itself is new targeting recent hardware while Elden Ring uses the same engine From has been using since DS3 on PC which came out almost 7 years ago. It stands to reason it's going to run better, you can't really use ancient GPUs to judge game optimization and that's coming from somebody with a 1060. Also GoW scales with hardware while Elden Ring has issues even with top of the line rigs.

Last edited:
From your post, it doesn't sound like your PC is having problems running the game.

More like you didn't enjoy GOW and blame it on the performance.
This is a fair comment. Though I would say spending 2 hours trying to get GOW to run OK probably didnt help. After all. The steam page for both games the recommend specs and minimum specs suggest that GOW should run fine and Elden ring should have issues.. but the opposite was true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom