• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My co-worker insulted me. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I will avoid the specifics, but in the meeting my co-worker was very condescending and called me lazy.
I stayed calm tried to get my points across but she was very argumentative and didn't listen to me. She was very unprofessional.

Anyway I am thinking of going to my boss and explaining what happened calmly and asking for advice. I will say I still like my coworker, want to work with her, but I am confused by the criticism.

Is this a smart strategy? Boss will ask what had I done to address the issue with worker and I will say I tried to talk to her for an hour and she was combative. I am afraid I will look as a complainer, though.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Honestly just focus on your job and move on. If it happens again speak with your immediate supervisor. If it’s still not addressed or continues happening go to HR. Only try talking to her if she’s hot.

ssringo

200.gif

VN1X

Banned
I will avoid the specifics, but in the meeting my co-worker was very condescending and called me lazy.
I stayed calm tried to get my points across but she was very argumentative and didn't listen to me. She was very unprofessional.

Anyway I am thinking of going to my boss and explaining what happened calmly and asking for advice. I will say I still like my coworker, want to work with her, but I am confused by the criticism.

Is this a smart strategy? Boss will ask what had I done to address the issue with worker and I will say I tried to talk to her for an hour and she was combative. I am afraid I will look as a complainer, though.
Be stoic and steadfast.

Ignore it like the #king you are and simply develop a grudge over time. Save up ammunition and strengthen your resolve. At some point... profit?

MDSLKTR

See if it was personal or if she's like that with everyone.
In my situation the first time I confronted her. Second time went to the boss with her. Now it's cool.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
See if it was personal or if she's like that with everyone.
In my situation the first time I confronted her. Second time went to the boss with her. Now it's cool.
What happened the first time? Did it get tense?

That's what I'm afraid of...

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
yeah, but I don't like getting publicly called out on it.
Since she's not wrong your intended move could back fire and make things worse. I say...

next-generation-21jump-street.gif

If she did a exaggerated statement in terms of your lazyness then admit that your are not the most productive guy around and ask her to not talk shit about you.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Just let it go and try to avoid having non-work-related conversations with this coworker. You don't have to like her, but you do have to be able to function together. If she can't do that and this becomes recurring, then report it. But one-off, it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If this was a 1 on 1 meeting and she called you lazy then let it go.

If this was in front of other people, call her out on it and tell her to take it private. Tell her its unprofessional.

Stop liking piece of shit people. What she did was completely wrong and should not have happened in a professional setting. Ghost, ice her, and have some fucking dignity. Going to your boss is not going to work. Deal with shit like this on the spot. You did well by not freaking out, but make sure she does not say that shit again in public.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
If this was a 1 on 1 meeting and she called you lazy then let it go.

If this was in front of other people, call her out on it and tell her to take it private. Tell her its unprofessional.

Stop liking piece of shit people. What she did was completely wrong and should not have happened in a professional setting. Ghost, ice her, and have some fucking dignity. Going to your boss is not going to work. Deal with shit like this on the spot. You did well by not freaking out, but make sure she does not say that shit again in public.
That's fire!

FreeHardtofindIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

MDSLKTR

What happened the first time? Did it get tense?

That's what I'm afraid of...
The first time no, the second time yes because nobody wants to be dragged to the boss office but I was fed up.
I would advise to be political about it and see if there's policies at your company about work place harmony. Oh and don't talk about your feelings but about the integrity of your work.
And like everyone is saying here: if it's the first time, let it go but clock it for next time.

Trunx81

Does your boss think you are lazy? Maybe you´re just a thorough worker.

Also, she took away important working time for complaining.

If you feel offended by this behaviour (and making a thread in a gaming forum asking for advice shows that you are), I would ask your boss about advice. Do it in person ("You got a minute?") and first of all ask upfront if he finds you lazy. If he denies, bring up the topic, but first without stating names or accusations. ("I have been called by a colleague this and that and felt really offended by it. Therefore I wanted to know a second opinion and as my superior, you are the best person to give me a statement about it. I also thought about what could have made my coworker make that statement and I am sure I can improve on this or that. But this is my superiors, so YOUR business to tell me that and not from a co-worker on the same level. Can I have your support on this topic?")

From the neck down, yes.
1862838_460s.jpg

yeah, but I don't like getting publicly called out on it.
It's about setting boundaries.
How dare someone call me lazy, even if I am?

Pahahaha! Sorry dude, but I immediately got flashbacks to a GTA V mission I remember:

Michael: What was that all about?
Castro: She thinks I got another woman on the side.
Michael: And do you?
Castro: That's not the point, she doesn't know that I have one!

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
OP just go thanks for letting me know. I’ll work harder from now on.

(Don’t work flat out just give a bit more)

Pejo

You're fired up right now, so taking some time to cool off is the most important thing to do. I'd say "have a wank" but that's probably not appropriate for your workplace.

Bosses might or might not help in this situation, but I always hesitate to go to bosses for anything short of direct harassment. If possible, try to smooth things over with the bitch, it'll be the better ending for everyone.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Go talk to them in person, and explain that if she thinks that she should say it in private, and then if it is a joke, those type of jokes damage careers. Do not get angry, be direct. If she does not receive it or is unwilling to talk about it, then you can elevate it to your boss. But go to her first.

Don's stare at her chest and look her in the eyes when talking to her. Also post her picture, so we can call her names.

Drake

I mean, I wish I had the balls that this woman has. I've worked with so many lazy co-workers over the years. She's probably tired of picking up your slack. And she called you out in a meeting in front of everyone? Good for her.

I will say though, props to OP for at least admitting his laziness.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I mean, I wish I had the balls that this woman has. I've worked with so many lazy co-workers over the years. She's probably tired of picking up your slack. And she called you out in a meeting in front of everyone? Good for her.

I will say though, props to OP for at least admitting his laziness.
Listen , instead of defending this woman, how about you go pump out another album? j/k

I'm not the only lazy person at the job, I just do it better than others.

Last edited:

Romulus

"Yeah Gloria I'm coming to you in private to address the lazy issue you have with me, because that's what professionals do."

"Professionals aren't lazy, Tom."

"Separate issues. I'll work on my speed if you work on you're condescending behavior in group meetings. Its counterproductive. Speak to me personally next time."

Kinda sucks that are lazy but that's the best response i see. The typical woman reaction is to deflect any constructive confrontation, so expect that.

Just fix the laziness.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just tell her you didn't appreciate the comment if she does it again and ask her to stop. If she doesn't take kindly to that THEN involve your boss.

Alebrije

Show your co worker the beneffits of being lazy...and how both of you can promote laziness over the office..Maybe this will get you a promotion on a few months

Last edited:

YCoCg

Did she lie?
HR that shit, bank on it, say you want an apology or you'll take it higher as you don't stand for slander, especially in front of the bosses.

Did she tell the truth?
Let it go, maybe cheekily say that you can afford to get your work done fast AND chill out because you're THAT good or something.

chromhound

Ask her what's her problem?

Seems like she's trying to throw you under the bus to get a promotion?

G-Bus

Banned
Communication solves a lot of these problems.

Maybe shes having a bad day/week and doesn't mean to sound like such a bitch.

Talk to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom