• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dad’s dog bit off my nose — now I have hair growing on my face

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A woman who lost the tip of her nose in a grisly dog attack is experiencing some hurdles in her recovery.

Trinity Rowles was attacked by her dad’s rescue dog in September of last year.

Rowles, 20, has had four surgeries so far and is due to get up to six more on her face. But one operation — a skin graft — left her with a big facial change.

The skin graft used skin from the top of her forehead and scalp, which means now Rowles has hair growing out of the skin of her reconstructed nose.

Her father’s Pitbull-Bulldog mix, named Irish, bit off the end of her nose, sunk his teeth into her arms and dragged her on the ground.

Rowles said the attack was “so out of character” for the dog.

NYPICHPDPICT000007512555.jpg
NYPICHPDPICT000007512586.jpg

“Irish was my dad’s rescue dog. He’d had him for about five years and he was like a great big teddy bear. He was so lovable and really soft. I would always go around and see him, and I even looked after him when my dad was out of town,” she said.

But while visiting her dad’s house on the day Irish attacked her, she and her dad had gotten into an argument, creating a “heated environment” which may have triggered the attack.

“These kinds of breeds are very emotional, and putting them in high conflict and emotional situations isn’t the best for them. Animals can only communicate in so many ways,” Rowles said.

When she started to walk away, Irish attacked. Rowles then started yelling that the dog was biting her nose.

Her dad put her in the fetal position and tried his best to protect her, but the dog kept on biting.

dog-nose-bite.jpg

“He then latched on to my arm and began playing tug of war with it as if my arm was a toy, and dragged her across the yard,” Rowles recalled. “Then suddenly, like the flick of a switch, Irish just walked away and sat at the porch stairs.”

Rowles’ dad and neighbors came to help as they called the police and an ambulance. While they waited for help to come, her dad brought Irish inside.

“When the police arrived, I remember I was getting put on to a stretcher and heard my dad shout ‘Just do it’ before the sound of gunshots being discharged,” Rowles said.

NYPICHPDPICT000007512557.jpg

The attack only lasted a few minutes, but she said it felt like the longest time of her life.

“During the attack, it was like I was in and out of reality. My fight or flight kicked in but still knew what was happening to me,” she shared. “I knew I was getting attacked and being bitten, but only to a certain extent. I could feel the pain but I had no idea about the extent of the injuries.”

Rowles was left with injuries to her face, ears, and arm. She lost a lot of blood from her arm, saying, “it was like a puddle in my hand.”

“I was taken to the hospital, and I don’t remember much after that. My mom met me there and she told me that the doctors were literally putting their hands inside my arms because of how extensive the wounds were,” she said.

NYPICHPDPICT000007512564.jpg

She was in the hospital for four days to start, but after going home for a couple of days, had to go back for nose reconstruction.

The aftermath of the incident has affected Rowles’ confidence and it’s been hard for her to deal with the physical changes to her face.

“I know what dogs are capable of now. I never properly thought about it before or what damage dogs can do,” she said.

Rowles has also been dealing with the attack’s mental impact.

“I don’t sleep well anymore because of my flashbacks and I have a really bad fear of dogs now too. I am on medication and go to therapy to help me deal with my PTSD,” she said.

NYPICHPDPICT000007512573.jpg

Reallink

Legitimately no idea how or why Pitbull's and their mixes aren't completely outlawed world wide, with minimum prison sentences of 10 years without parole for anyone caught breeding or smuggling them. Their violent attack statistics both to people and other animals are so astronomically lopsided it seems like satire, to the point the single breed is responsible for like 90%+ of deaths and serious injuries. Kill every single one of them as inhumanely as possible, they're genetically selected to be career criminals.

Last edited:

Winter John

I feel sorry for responsible pit bull owners who have raised their dogs right.Them animal shelters have a lot to answer for here. I know the majority of them are run by good people who want the best for the dogs, but it seems to me some of them will just hand these dogs over to whoever turns up. No background checks. No home visits. No training. It’s fair to say they’re pretty negligent.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I feel sorry for responsible pit bull owners who have raised their dogs right.Them animal shelters have a lot to answer for here. I know the majority of them are run by good people who want the best for the dogs, but it seems to me some of them will just hand these dogs over to whoever turns up. No background checks. No home visits. No training. It’s fair to say they’re pretty negligent.

Singling out pit bulls as especially needing to be raised right just highlights their predisposition to behavior problems.

Post in very bad taste.
That's what you getting for having a bunch of piercings up your nose along with a nose ring and a ugly ass putbull. She already looked ugly as sin, the dog decided to finish the job and make sure it stays that way. Good doggo, I approve.

EDIT - This is meant as a silly sarcastic joke post simply because I dislike nose piercings and can't stand pit bulls. Please stop taking things seriously.

Last edited:

Winter John

Singling out pit bulls as especially needing to be raised right just highlights their predisposition to behavior problems.
I don’t think they have a predisposition for going nuts. I reckon what makes them stand out from other breeds is their ability to cause serious damage when they do. There’s probably thousands of cases where prison dogs have bit their owners but it doesn’t get covered because they didn’t do much more than nip. The most aggressive dogs I’ve met are them little rat dogs. Nobody ever calls them things out

BlackTron

I don’t think they have a predisposition for going nuts. I reckon what makes them stand out from other breeds is their ability to cause serious damage when they do. There’s probably thousands of cases where prison dogs have bit their owners but it doesn’t get covered because they didn’t do much more than nip. The most aggressive dogs I’ve met are them little rat dogs. Nobody ever calls them things out

Interesting hypothesis.

VN1X

Banned
That's fascinating actually (the skin thing, not the dog attack).

Can they not just remove the hair sacks then? Sorry if that was alluded to in the article but I'm a busy man you know. I have Gold things to do. :messenger_relieved:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They should enlist those dogs in the military. Send them to fight wars.

“Unleash the hounds”, as a giant sea of storming Pitt bulls, Rottweilers, and other dangerous dogs go chasing after the enemy.

That’s better than killing them all.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Did the dog get killed when the police showed up or did it live?
Also, did the doctors not know this would happen based on where the skin came from?

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I know the dog needed to be put down and all but maybe they shouldn't have taken the skin graft from the dog if she didnt want hairy nose.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

having a pitbull is a completely irrational choice especially as a rescue. is having that breed particular breed going to be so much better than having a bulldog or boxer breed?

completely stupid and unfortunately that lady was pretty attractive is now permanently disfigured.

They're negligent you're delusional. What can you do 🤷 Every pitbull attack is a "bad owner" it's never the goddamn breed. But then every attack is "so out of character."

Can't be both or neither every fucking time. They're a shit breed bred for violence. They're a loaded gun with zero trigger discipline. They should simply be allowed to go extinct.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
They should enlist those dogs in the military. Send them to fight wars.

“Unleash the hounds”, as a giant sea of storming Pitt bulls, Rottweilers, and other dangerous dogs go chasing after the enemy.

That’s better than killing them all.
Dont loop Rottweilers in with shit pit bulls. Rotties are good dogs

Top Bottom