• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog died

Iaterain

My dog 11 year old Yorkshire, the most beautiful, smart and kind boy ever died today in my hands.
We drove to the emergency vet clinic at night because he stopped moving or reacting to anything. He got a medicine and we were told that he should be fine. He should have gotten a dropper every day for a week. We were also told that the only bad sign that we should be worry if he would start wheezing and we should drive back instantly if it happens. I was massaging his heart and talking to him all the time. I was hoping that he is like in deep sleep, not in pain but could feel our presence.

When we almost arrived home he started wheezing. We immediately drove back. He started to breath very quickly, after that his breath started to become shorter and shorter. He was straggling to catch an air. On the last moment he moved for the first time since the morning, he stretched out his head, turned his head to me, looked at me with his big eyes, opened his mouth and made loud very human like sound A and fall. His heart become very warm and wasn't beating any more...

My biggest fear since day one was to lose him. The thought that he could get lost, scared, searching us helplessly was driving me crazy and now I don't know where he is. Maybe our bond is broken and he doesn't exist anymore and it is like an infinity peace. Maybe he is somewhere else continuing the life experience in a different way. I just hope that he isn't scared, not in pain and know what to do.

I never cry but now I can't stop. I was so proud of him all his life. If I could turn back in time, I would spend so much more time with him. He was very loved and never alone, but I know that I could be so much better and closer to him than I was. It just the life made it feels like that our bond couldn't be any closer and we were always together anyway but now I understand how wrong I was. I feel like I was his greatest friend and teacher for the first half of his life. But the other half of his life I changed. I was taking our time together for granted. I didn't appreciate the moments that we had together as much as I should have. He was always with me or family. It felt like "good enough", but now I know that it wasn't enough and I could be a better friend and family to him. I should have spent all the time studying about his life and how to make him happier and stronger dog. Instead I wasted that time in the things that doesn't really matter.

I wish I was appreciating every minute of my life with my dog and nothing could interrupt it. Now those days feels priceless to me. How could I be so blessed and not understanding that.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I am so sorry for your loss. I had to have two dogs put down in June, 19 days apart so my grief is fairly fresh too. It has helped me to remind myself that both Heidi and Sam knew they were loved and they loved us in return. They had good homes and good lives. Grieving hurts so very much but eventually it will be bearable even though that probably is hard for you to believe right now. Just remember all the joy the dog brought to you and all the love you gave it in return.

Rival

Gold Member
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

I still tear up when I read this after my dog died 3 years ago.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Very sorry to hear that and condolences. Don't beat yourself up about it. You loved your dog and I am sure your dog felt that and you will remember him.

Rran

I'm sorry to hear that. I've gone through a few dogs in my lifetime and every time it's like a knife in the gut. Some non-pet owners don't understand how hard it is to lose a pet, but it stings.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
He was very loved and never alone,

Then you were a good owner and did right by him.

There's no point thinking that you could have done more, spent more time with him, done more for/with him... life doesn't work that way. If you can say that he was loved and that you spend great times with him, then you did right by him and should appreciate that like he undoubtedly did.

I'm sorry for your loss, but don't go beating yourself up. You loved him and were good to him - that's all a dog ever asks for.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Sorry to hear that, totally understand what you’re going through. When my dog died I was in tears. I grieved over them more than I have for any relatives that have passed away. Only time will heal your loss.

He was lucky to have a dad as caring as you. Try to remember the good times.

Not quite the same but had dogs with the ex and when we split she snuck to the house and took the dogs. I went through the same emotions you are and still cry the odd time even now a year later. The same feelings of guilt, did I walk with them enough, play with them enough and treat them enough. All that matters to your dog at the end of the day was that you loved them and I'm sure they loved you very much.

It will get easier with time try and not hold onto any guilt because reading your post it's clearly misplaced.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

It feels bad man and its tough to let go. Second guessing what you would do differently is moot just remember what he and you gained with the time you had together and the lessons you took from it all. The finality of death really hits home in these situations and you just have to think the time you had with him as one chapter of your life. Another chapter opens and the memories will remain. I find that best process for me in grief has been creating a grave and a memory photo album for the friend.

poodaddy

Gold Member
You did right OP. I can't say anything that'll make it better, just understand that I understand.

They're not animals, they're family. He loved you and goddamn you loved him, and that's all we can do. We have to cherish these moments with our furry family members, as their lives are criminally short for the amount of love, understanding, and empathy they show towards us in their time. I'm here for you brother, and I know it hurts. It's supposed to hurt, just let that be the norm for a bit.

I'll be thinking of you brother.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Lost my pup 3 years ago, still think about him everyday. He was only 4 but a shitty vet treatment ended up killing him while I was away on a trip. The pain never really goes but it does get duller. Hang in there man.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Your bond will always be with you. Cherish and celebrate their memory and good times, they last a lifetime.

Sorry about your loss OP. There's probably nothing I can say that will help ease your heartbreak -- only time and family/friends can do that.

But know that your dog lived a happy life surrounded by loved ones. Cherish the good memories.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
angel GIF

My dog 11 year old Yorkshire, the most beautiful, smart and kind boy ever died today in my hands.
We drove to the emergency vet clinic at night because he stopped moving or reacting to anything. He got a medicine and we were told that he should be fine. He should have gotten a dropper every day for a week. We were also told that the only bad sign that we should be worry if he would start wheezing and we should drive back instantly if it happens. I was massaging his heart and talking to him all the time. I was hoping that he is like in deep sleep, not in pain but could feel our presence.

When we almost arrived home he started wheezing. We immediately drove back. He started to breath very quickly, after that his breath started to become shorter and shorter. He was straggling to catch an air. On the last moment he moved for the first time since the morning, he stretched out his head, turned his head to me, looked at me with his big eyes, opened his mouth and made loud very human like sound A and fall. His heart become very warm and wasn't beating any more...

My biggest fear since day one was to lose him. The thought that he could get lost, scared, searching us helplessly was driving me crazy and now I don't know where he is. Maybe our bond is broken and he doesn't exist anymore and it is like an infinity peace. Maybe he is somewhere else continuing the life experience in a different way. I just hope that he isn't scared, not in pain and know what to do.

I never cry but now I can't stop. I was so proud of him all his life. If I could turn back in time, I would spend so much more time with him. He was very loved and never alone, but I know that I could be so much better and closer to him than I was. It just the life made it feels like that our bond couldn't be any closer and we were always together anyway but now I understand how wrong I was. I feel like I was his greatest friend and teacher for the first half of his life. But the other half of his life I changed. I was taking our time together for granted. I didn't appreciate the moments that we had together as much as I should have. He was always with me or family. It felt like "good enough", but now I know that it wasn't enough and I could be a better friend and family to him. I should have spent all the time studying about his life and how to make him happier and stronger dog. Instead I wasted that time in the things that doesn't really matter.

I wish I was appreciating every minute of my life with my dog and nothing could interrupt it. Now those days feels priceless to me. How could I be so blessed and not understanding that.

I never had any pets, but I am sure it can be heartbreaking to lose someonen you've had for a long time. Sorry to hear that man.

Also, no offense or anything but honestly sounds like the vet you went to who told you he should be fine didn't know jack shit and were responsible for his death. I would sue the fuck out of them. He probably could of lived. What they should of done is told you to stay an additional hour and see how his body reacts, that way they could of done something there and then.

Last edited:

Uhtred

I shed a tear reading this.

Please take comfort in knowing that he had an incredible life and thank God he was with you and your family.

So many dogs out there are unlucky and end up with the wrong people. The best gift or repayment you could give him, is when the time is right adopt another pet and give them a home full of love. You may not have the same bond you did with this one but do it for him in honor of him.

Iaterain

Thank you everyone who read about my dog and shared kind words, empathy and love. Knowing that there are so many people like you around the world warming my heart.

Top Bottom