• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My DS is starving! Pac Pix or Yoshi T&G?

gunstarhero

After coming back from E3, I've decided to give the little 2 screened freak a second chance. A lot of games impressed me (Sonic Rush, Advance Wars, some Operation game, Puyo Pop, etc.) and I'm so glad nobody met my bid when I put my DS on eBay.

Meteos and Kirby are coming soon, but I want something NOW - I think I've narrowed down my choice to Pac Pix or Yoshi.

Opinions? Basically looking for something thats fun to play - and has a little depth to it.

Help me here GAF. :D

Amir0x

Banned
belgurdo said:
One would think you'd want to feed your DS, not poison it

:lol

But I thought Yoshi T&G was decent. It's not a classic or anything, but it's fairly easy to pick up and play at any little gap you have during the day. I have not been able to pick up Pac Pix yet, so I can't comment on which is actually better.

gunstarhero

One would think you'd want to feed your DS, not poison it

Yea, yea, yea - unless you have a better suggestion, but I just don't see it. I have FTM and Driller already - and Mario 64 blows imo. Wario Touched may be another option for me...

Amir0x

Banned
gunstarhero said:

Yea, yea, yea - unless you have a better suggestion, but I just don't see it. I have FTM and Driller already - and Mario 64 blows imo. Wario Touched may be another options for me...

oh. Well, Wario Ware Touched! is better than Yoshi Touch N Go, that's for sure. If that's an option, it's a sure bet. OR, even better, feed your DS Wario Ware Twisted. That shit fucking owns Touched! and is one of the best games this year, imho

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Neither. Import Daigassou Band Brothers or wait for the domestic releases coming this summer.

If you like to hunt for high scores then by all means get Yoshi. It's far better than the turd Feel the Magic, so If you have the option I say make a little trade with your local game store.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Amir0x said:
I thought you suggested Kirby ;)

Initially, I only skimmed his first post. :lol

Also, if you can wait, Famicom Wars DS is coming out in June, so you could get that too.

Or

NINTENDAWGS.

jarrod

Banned
Well, since Puyo Fever impressed you at E3... what about that? Or pick up one of the many fantastic GBA games that came out this year (Minish Cap, Klonoa 2, Fire Emblem 2, etc)?

Barrage

Get Star Wars: Episode 3 for DS. It's a kickass beat-em-up with fun flying missions(the screenshots were misleading...it looks much better in motion.)

gunstarhero

Get Star Wars: Episode 3 for DS. It's a kickass beat-em-up with fun flying missions(the screenshots were misleading...it looks much better in motion.)

I'm a big SW fan - but I played this at e3 and was bored in 10 minutes. Not for me I guess.

Trading in FTM isn't a bad idea...

I've really enjoyed Episode III as well. The flight multiplayer / one player skirmishes with bots are good... the hack and slash side scroller segments are decent too. It does get repetative, but I think the same can be said of the console version. The more you power your character up, the more fun you can have dispensing enemies and the more enjoyable it is IMO.

I got Need for Speed Underground 2 on Friday as well. Haven't bought any extra cars yet, but the Nissan you start with is really starting to look good and I've applied my own decals etc. The graphics look much better on the 3" touchscreen than horribly stretched on my PC monitor too. The drag racing is a blast as always, and the things you can add to your cars/dash (aka touch screen) are a nice touch... the mini games are retarded, but a welcome option. If the next one allows me to race others online I'm definately sold.. cos this has been a good game so far. The only disappointing thing is that you can only have one player profile... so I either have to share the same profile with my brother(s), or we play through one at a time.

Yoshi's freaking awesome, though it's not for everybody. It only has 4 modes, all of which include a single randomly generated level. With that said, marathon mode is awesome and very addicting as long as you're ok with just trying to rack up high scores. I haven't played Pac-Pix, but apparently that is at least level-based so you might prefer that game. Also, importing Band Brothers will definitely be worth it since it's by far my favorite DS game and unfortunately, it doesn't look to be getting a US release.

joshschw

If you pay more then $10 for PacPix you will feel ripped off. So get Yoshi at least there is a little more to it.

But like a couple others suggested the Star Wars game is really fun.

I love Yoshi Touch & Go, it's the only game that I can truly pick up and play anytime (I have to be in the right mood for the others). It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're willing to work on your high score, it's really good.

The Wario Ware games are a lot easier to get into. You'll play Touched for hours trying to unlock everything. Once you're done, it does have some replay value, but probably only every once in a while.

123rl

Go for Yoshi. Pac Pix wasn't good at all, IMO. I bought it for £22, didn't like it so I sold it on a few days later for £20 - I still felt ripped off

oldskool

I've got to send a shout out to Yoshi, like many others in this thread. I've had this game for a month now and am still highly addicted to it. I liken it to tetris when I first played it on the original gameboy so many years ago. A game you can pick up and play at any time, and thoroughly enjoy. I get crazy thoughts like creating a cloud platform between two desks, or circling a person's nose on television and having it turn to a coin and disappearing. Kind of like how you would envision blocks in your head if you've ever been addicted to tetris. :lol

StRaNgE

Banned
Is pac pix out in the U.S. yet?

it's actually one of the games i am waiting on to buy a DS.

do sorta wish it was included with a larger game though.

Spencerr

Banned
gunstarhero said:
A lot of games impressed me (Sonic Rush, Advance Wars, some Operation game, Puyo Pop, etc.)

So buy it

Edit:

StRaNgE said:
Is pac pix out in the U.S. yet?

it's actually one of the games i am waiting on to buy a DS.

do sorta wish it was included with a larger game though.

It's out, it's alright.

I wish it was a year from now, when DS will be a monster of fun.

YOSHI T&G! Get it. Just don't go expecting a full fledged level based game. That it ain't.

It gets more playtime than Touched! or Pac Pix combined.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
touch and go is far and away better than pac pix. I just got pac pix and am not that happy with it. should have waited for pac n roll. Touch and go is awesome though. Kirby in 2 weeks....

Episode 3 was great. The flying levels too, they look exponentially better than the screenshots. The animation is smooth and gameplay is fun. Force powers mixed with hack and slash. Pretty neat bosses too. Star Wars fans won't be dissapointed.

Pick up Wario Ware Twisted!- it's an awesome, awesome game. I just got it two days ago and haven't been able to put it down.

Hero

I enjoyed Yoshi a lot more once I fully understood the mechanics of the game.

Don't be expecting another Yoshi's Island, as it's just really a deviation of a puzzle game at its core. I haven't played it in a while, but it is fun trying to beat your own high score. I just wish you didn't always have to do the initial part with Baby Mario all the time, as it gets repetitive. (Yes, I know you can choose midpoint, I meant every time you boot up the game :p)

Haven't tried Pac Pix. Puyo Pop is really fun, even moreso if you have friends who have DSes.

I've just bought Yoshi T&G (US version) and Kirby (JPN version) and both are really good.

Touch and Go is definately flawed in some aspects of its game play, but it's still quite satisfying once you get going. It's the classic problem with the DS in that it doesn't so much seem like a complete game, as a "really good tech demo".

Kirby on the other hand (apart from the fact I can't read the text) is excellent. Much more advanced gameplay, and a really smart little physics engine. Definately worth of purchase when it comes out in your native tongue (or if you're impatient import it).

Wollan

Yoshi is a waste of money imo. The game has 4 levels. 4! You got to love to beat records to truly appreciate but if you got Mario 64, you have like 36 varied mini games which has alot of records to beat. It is the perfect rental though.

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
I'd rather get poisoned than play Episode III again. That shit was awful. I can't fathom how that got the scores it did. I gave it a 4.8, and that was only because the scoring system we use averages the stuff together and the 7.0 I gave the music skewed it higher. Only EGM gave that thing the proper score it deserved.

Top Bottom