• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Fanboy market analysis of HD consoles... and then some

Status
Not open for further replies.
My contention has always been that WW X360 and PS3 hardware sales are crappy, but the X360 at least had the strong software sales to prop it up some.

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
My contention has always been that WW X360 and PS3 hardware sales are crappy, but the X360 at least had the strong software sales to prop it up some.
Worldwide, yes.

360 has fairly good American sales specifically though, it's really the one market we can claim a concrete HD console success story imo. PS3 in Europe actually isn't doing too badly either.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
MikeB said:
NES was considered to be part of the 8-bit generation. The NeoGeo was considered to be part of the 16-bit generation (although internally the 68000 was 32-bit).

The NeoGeo probably had the most impressive games of the by then available consoles. But consoles back then were totally looked at as kid toys (a bit like the Wii now, don't get me wrong it's a fun console for the whole family just like a Snes could be). Both the Sega Megadrive and Snes were specced as such, designed to be cheap, not cutting edge. The NeoGeo was better specced probably for arcade purposes, it cetainly wasn't a cutting edge console back then.

The 68000 series CPU had been used for many years in systems like the Amiga, Atari ST and Macintosh, its Z80 is from the 70s. Basically the overall specs weren't better for gaming than an Amiga 500, which was released years ealier. So with lightyears ahead I don't agree, I do agree however the console included more expensive components than the 16-bit consoles Sega and Nintendo launched.
No offense dude, but you really don't know what you are talking about. The Genesis/MD was a 68000 also, with a Z80 also. Yet the NeoGeo was WELL beyond the capabilities of the Genesis. You forgot to mention that it's 68K was clocked 50% faster than the then standard 8Mhz unit, or that it included a custom VDP capable of 4K colors and over 300 on screen sprites which were well beyond what the stock Amiga's Denise chip could handle. Audio was full FM with the ability to have 7 dedicated digital audio channels (Amiga could only muster 4 and sound blaster 2). Not only was it a cutting edge console, but it blew the doors off the PC which at the time was still only doing 256 color palletized 320x200 with two channel PCM audio.

I don't know what's going on in the thread, but clearly you just glanced at some specs on the Neo Geo and said "Hmm... it has a 68K and Z80. Must be the same as Amiga and Genesis." In reality the system was light years beyond them for 1990.

Blitzzz

manueldelalas said:
What numbers say PS3 is beating 360 month by month?

I don't have time to pull numbers and make pretty graphs but there are lots of sales-age threads on neogaf.... just look in the media create/npd/euro tracker(?) threads.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Blitzzz said:
I don't have time to pull numbers and make pretty graphs but there are lots of sales-age threads on neogaf.... just look in the media create/npd/euro tracker(?) threads.

What's the best source for Europe sales? because the best I found are the Nintendo charts, but some months are missing... November and December 07...

ymmv

Banned
acm2000 said:
< ... FFXIII, FFXIII versus, Killzone 2, GT5, God of War 3, Jak and Daxter, ICO 2 etc I'd imagine. ... >

those are the only 2009 titles there :lol

God of War is also a confirmed 2009 title. FF13, Jak & Daxter and ICO 2 in 2009 is speculation but personally I wouldn't be surprised if those titles do indeed come out next year. FF13 and ICO 2 will have been in development for a couple of years by now, it should be about time for 'em to be released.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Thread needs more Vidcons comics!

wiicomic13.jpg

wiicomic16.jpg

wiicomic26.jpg

wiicomic27.gif

wiicomic19.jpg

manueldelalas

Time Traveler

nib95

Banned
manueldelalas said:

In a more recent interview (believe it was at the recent Spanish GT day) he said the full game would come out 16 (?) months after Prologue, which still lines it up for an 09 summer release. I doubt the game will come out in 2010, though it's obviously a possibility.

Nomura claimed FFXIII would be coming to us late 08, so if it isn't 08, the likely assumption is that it will instead be an 09 title instead. These are all assumptions, in truth anything could happen.

Narcosis

jarrod said:
Give it up. You have a better chance of seeing FFXIII on Wii than mainline DQ on PS-anything.

Give what up? I never asserted the DQ game was coming to a Sony platform, I just said that IF it did PSP was more likely than PS3.

jarrod

Banned
nib95 said:
Nomura claimed FFXIII would be coming to us late 08, so if it isn't 08, the likely assumption is that it will instead be an 09 title instead. These are all assumptions, in truth anything could happen.
Where was this said? The only timeframe mentions I remember for FFXIII was Wada implying it wouldn't be 2008?

jarrod

Banned
Narcosis said:
Give what up? I never asserted the DQ game was coming to a Sony platform, I just said that IF it did PSP was more likely than PS3.
More likely is pretty loaded... but honestly, the likelihood is so miniscule (almost to the point of there being none) why even bother?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
nib95 said:
FFXIII, FFXIII versus, Killzone 2, GT5, God of War 3, Jak and Daxter, ICO 2 etc I'd imagine.

I don't think that's going to do it, but that's just me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pureauthor said:
I was about to say 'No, it really doesn't.' when I remembered which thread we're in.

Post away.
This thread is a nice example of the material the comic is based on to boot! :D

MikeB

Banned
I added some more figures to the original post:

Russia:

Hardware LTD shipments (end of March 2008):
PS3: 60.000
360: 50.000
(Wii: 50.000)

Source: kommersant.ru

South Korea (a country with a strong military connection with the US, end of March 2008):

XBox 360 launch: 24 February 2006
PS3 launch: 16 June 2007

360 over 150K
PS3 over 50K

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

Benelux (end of March 2008):

PS3 ~300K LTD
360 ~350 LTD

A Sony representative estimates the PS3 will overtake the 360 for the Benelux by September 2008). Source: Lesoir.be

If you prefer not to endure fanboy abuse, feel free to provide feedback, additional information and corrections privately.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
MikeB said:
If you prefer not to endure fanboy abuse, feel free to provide feedback, additional information and corrections privately.
To whom?

xbhaskarx

MikeB said:
I added some more figures to the original post:

South Korea (a country with a strong military connection with the US, end of March 2008):

XBox 360 launch: 24 February 2006
PS3 launch: 16 June 2007

360 over 150K
PS3 over 50K

:lol

MikeB

Banned
@ borghe

The Genesis/MD was a 68000 also, with a Z80 also. Yet the NeoGeo was WELL beyond the capabilities of the Genesis.

I stated the NeoGeo was better specced.

You forgot to mention that it's 68K was clocked 50% faster than the then standard 8Mhz unit, or that it included a custom VDP capable of 4K colors and over 300 on screen sprites which were well beyond what the stock Amiga's Denise chip could handle.

See above. Its 68000 CPU wasn't cutting edge. By 1990 the 68040 was truly a cutting edge CPU, which provided twice as much performance per clock than the 6830 which was introduced in 1987 (The Amiga 500 and desktop Amigas could be upgraded with such processors, later desktop systems also with PPC CPUs).

Not only was it a cutting edge console, but it blew the doors off the PC which at the time was still only doing 256 color palletized 320x200 with two channel PCM audio.

The PC sucked at games until the early 90s. Doom, released in 1993 was one of the first eyecatching games. During the 80s even C64 and even NES games were far more impressive.

I don't know what's going on in the thread, but clearly you just glanced at some specs on the Neo Geo and said "Hmm... it has a 68K and Z80. Must be the same as Amiga and Genesis." In reality the system was light years beyond them for 1990.

The Amiga 500 and NeoGeo weren't lightyears apart.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JwLGlt2F82M (Elfmania)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kvpm4t4A1o (Ruff 'n Tumble)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lX6YyyXEIFA (Disposable Hero)

MikeB

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

AFAIK at least a 100 thousand Americans live in South Korea. (about 150 thousand Americans live in Israel, such things may effect console sales) I followed a discussion on console sales and this was also brought forward as a factor.

MikeB said:
AFAIK at least a 100 thousand Americans live in South Korea. (about 150 thousand Americans live in Israel, such things may effect console sales) I followed a discussion on console sales and this was also brought forward as a factor.

How many Americans live in Germany? Or Japan? Or France? Or Spain? Or Canada?

jarrod

Banned
MikeB said:
It's estimated that 40,000 Americans live in Tokyo alone btw... get another conspiracy theory. :lol

edit~ found some figures here. It's non-military, private citizens though, so it doesn't reflect the military and it only lists major population centers, and it's pretty old (1999)...

KOREA
Seoul 30,000

JAPAN
Tokyo 45,000
Naha, Okinawa 3,415
Osaka-Kobe 13,484
Sapporo 2,756
Fukuoka 5,695

..and here's the figures for US military personel on both JP & SK (via Wiki)...

South Korea as of 2007
Army: 19,755
Navy: 274
Air Force: 8,815
Marines: 242
Total: 29,086

Japan as of 2007
Army: 1,965
Navy: 3,742
Air Force: 13,322
Marines: 14,424
Total: 33,453

... even 100k seems a bit too high for Korea though honestly.

MikeB

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
How many Americans live in Germany? Or Japan? Or France? Or Spain? Or Canada?

1) Canada less than 700K
2) Mexico ~350K
3) UK more than 200K
4) Israal 150K
5) Philippines or South Korea (over 100K)

In any case for the latest South Korean figures, during the period the PS3 sold 45K the 360 sold about 14K.

MikeB said:
1) Canada less than 700K
2) Mexico ~350K
3) UK more than 200K
4) Israal 150K
5) Philippines or South Korea (over 100K)

In any case for the latest South Korean figures, during the period the PS3 sold 45K the 360 sold about 14K.

I think you'll see as the Pocketbook Patriotism trend rises as we close in on the November Election, you'll see 360 sales emboldened in all those regions.

Feel free to use the information in that link in your further analysis. I'm guessing since it was just posted on May 18th, the global effects of the movement have not yet been seen in all market data.

Yet.

jarrod

Banned
MikeB said:
That'd be immediately following PS3 launch then, no? From Gamasutra's series of Korean interviews a month back, the general sentiment among developers at least seemed to be that Xbox 360 is the leading platform and has a much more enticing R&D environment (for obvious reasons).

Also, Nintendo sold 35k Wii in SK too just over 2 weeks (launched April 26th). Wii Sports sold 30k, Pangya and Zack&Wiki each sold 8k, FIFA sold 2k.

MikeB

Banned
jarrod said:
That'd be immediately following PS3 launch then, no?

No, apparently South Korea did not get many PS3 launch units.

has a much more enticing R&D environment (for obvious reasons).

Sorry you lost me there... It's not obvious to me what you are talking about.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinci said:
Barring the DS-bound DQ games being glitchy, horrific messes and selling less than a million each in Japan, the DQ series is going to be Nintendo friendly for the foreseeable future.

If and when S-E and Level 5 decide to launch FF XIII and WKS, it will be interesting to see how they sell based on their reasonably high expectations for games of such scale. If they underperform, where the hell do you think S-E and Level 5 will go next? It won't be PS3 again.

Its not like Level 5 is working out of pocket though. WKS is fully Sony funded. Their own games are being put on the DS

jarrod said:
Worldwide, yes.

360 has fairly good American sales specifically though, it's really the one market we can claim a concrete HD console success story imo. PS3 in Europe actually isn't doing too badly either.

And Japan? :lol

I wonder if Japan will ever get into HD gaming, I thought I read somewhere that they had the biggest HDTV penetration there....

Magik

Ponn01 said:
Hey, anyone here actually play videogames? Aren't they fun and cool?!

It's a lot more fun to argue on GAF over trivial things such as Consol Wars (TM) and to prove that one's system is morally superior than the other.

Cynar

Raist said:
Japan : "Micorosoftu ? The hell is this ? Is it food ?"
Europe : "We dun care 'bout teh 360 lulz" UK : "No wait, we do" Europe : "Fine but you eat shitty food and don't even use euro as currency" UK : "stfu"
USA : "we mus protek national products"

end thread, this is great :lol

soldat7

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think you'll see as the Pocketbook Patriotism trend rises as we close in on the November Election, you'll see 360 sales emboldened in all those regions.

Feel free to use the information in that link in your further analysis. I'm guessing since it was just posted on May 18th, the global effects of the movement have not yet been seen in all market data.

Yet.

I can't stop laughing. Best post I've read all day. :lol

jarrod

Banned
MikeB said:
No, apparently South Korea did not get many PS3 launch units.
Only 5k, going by your figures... what period do your sales cover actually?

MikeB said:
Sorry you lost me there... It's not obvious to me what you are talking about.
DirectX architecture, PC-like tools and development environment... it's likely the chief reason why 360's getting more Korean developer support than PS3 (besides installed base, though all consoles are so limited in that regard it likely doesn't matter much).

Davidion

Holy shit, we're figuring in ex-pats now!

Perhaps next month's global video game console sales will be determined by the ebb and flow of the air velocity of unladen swallows.

MikeB

Banned
FirstInHell said:
Guys, I think MikeB does not like the 360.

No more than any other consumer electronics product which breaks down well beyond industry standards. Although I always thought the PS3 would be a far more interesting product due to the Cell and general specifications In the past I spoke much more highly of the 360, I loved Rare's Kameo as a game (Nintendo like quality game combined with good quality cartoon-like visuals), that was my most favourite 360 game.

A console does not need to have cutting edge technology, but IMO it certainly needs to be relative worry free, especially if a company also targets kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom