• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Fanboy market analysis of HD consoles... and then some

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldat7

MikeB said:
Overall the PS3 was designed for the future. Thus the hardware isn't profitable yet for Sony and Sony needed to sell less than the Nintendo Wii to not get into financial problems.
It can, but I am sure it wasn't their aim to outsell the 360 its first year on the market. This would have been very bad for the company financially.

Right! It was much better for those PS3s to sit on store shelves. :lol

I don't understand how one could be so enraptured with a single video game company to spin numbers and twist facts like a paid PR agent.

MikeB

Banned
charlequin said:
Yes. And now, for extra points, here's a bonus question!

When the PSP and PS2 launched, Sony....

a) made a profit on the sale of their hardware
b) sold the hardware at a loss

Now, based on the answer to this question, can you guess why "Sony didn't want to sell a lot of hardware" is a specious claim?

I would go for b.

Because, the PS3 includes far more cutting edge technology than the PS2 did for its time of release.

One report claimed the PS3 components to be worth $850 around launch, add marketing, R&D, support, localization, PSN server running, assembly, etc related costs. Retail price only $600 (which includes retailer profits), I remember a Square Enix representative stating that they were surprised (correction: he was shocked) the PS3 wouldn't cost more. The PS3 was very expensive for Sony.

itxaka

Defeatist
MikeB said:
Because, the PS3 includes far more cutting edge technology than the PS2 did for its time of release.

"The PS3 is measured in MEGabytes"

Seriously man, just stop. Wait for MGS4, play it and expect the next NPD and Media-create to give you ot take from you your reasonings.

Dirtbag

MikeB said:
IMO it is already paying off for Sony as a company. They won the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray format war, a prolonged format war would have costed Sony dearly. The PS3 may also have sparked some additional Sony HDTV sales, in general Sony nearly tripled their profits for the previous fiscal year.

Rumours are
that the PS3 isn't losing Sony much money anymore, they anticipate a gaming division profit for this year. To compensate for all the R&D done on the PS3 the years before the PS3's release and to cover launch costs (not deducting Blu-Ray, HDTV sales and PS2 related gains), it will take a while. Maybe up to 2 years, but from a 10 year plan point of view that seems more than OK.

You can't keep doing this, this is leading to the undoing of your OP. You can't start a thread with facts and numbers and then turn it into a speculative thread and expect people to not get a little suspicous of the facts you presented.

MikeB said:
One report claimed the PS3 components to be worth $850 around launch

Good, you're doing great!

Now, another followup question. Given the economics of the console market, does changing the relative ranking amongst systems:

a) become easier as the generation wears on
b) remain equally difficult
c) become harder as the generation wears on

Once you answer this one, maybe you can explain why "purposely" creating an unnecessarily expensive system and pushing off its sales to a much later date in the generation would be a good plan.

Pug

Mike B, this abhorrence you have for anything 360/MS related seeps out of your posts with such vitriol, its actually frightening. How anyone can get that obsessed with regard to console sales is beyond me. Good games are on every platform and will continue to be on every platform regardless of sales data, you may or may not wish to believe. One thing I do know, hiding behind console preferences due to blind brand loyalty or hatred means you miss out on quality games, sorry I couldn’t give a flying feck what the sales figures are, just give me the games.

MikeB

Banned
itxaka said:
"The PS3 is measured in MEGabytes"

10s of gigabytes with regard to storage. It's a console which does not require to run a bulky inefficient host operating system such as Windows or MacOS X in the background.

The NeoGeo 130 Kb RAM at a time when PCs had many megabytes of RAM. NeoGeo games were still far superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom