• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Father Passed Away

ShadowNate

Sorry for your loss. Your dad is at peace now and I hope you find some consolation in that thought.
For now try to think short term, and not burden yourself with heavy questions. Just deal with the grief, take care of your mental health and if possible try to stay close to loved ones and people who will support you.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
My condolences. Having lost my dad all l can say is keep your mind busy through work and keep in regular communication with friends and family.

Wunray

You have my condolences, I know what that pain feels like as I lost my dad in 2021 and all I can say is to not be afraid to reach out to talk to others and to not be afraid to express your grief, don't let the emotions bottled up inside. If you need someone to talk to you can always shoot me a message and I am sure there are many on here that would lend an ear. I can tell you one other thing, what comes next is not going to be easy but you cannot give up.

Tough news mate. Take pride in the life you shared and the love and care you gave. Your dad did good. You did good. Rest and recharge a little where and when you can. I hope you at least return with some family to stay with them for a bit after the funeral mate. You can take time for yourself in the immediate future. Please ask family for help and take them up if acceptable.

A mentor years ago gave me the personal advice to live in the moment of grief in such times but as you climb out of that state always remember to reflect on it but not return to such a state. I try to live by that, live the now, reflect the memories and keep on moving with a wonderful everchanging journey behind and ahead. It keeps me in the light more than the dark.

I’m really sorry you lost your pops OP. I dread the day I have to bury my dad, it’s gonna be hard. I’m sure your dad was a good dude.

I lost my brother to cancer a few years ago. He was my best friend at the time, and it definitely got lonely in the period afterwards. But as time goes on, it got easier to deal with. Eventually I started meeting new people , including my now wife, and moved on with my life. I tell you this because I just want you to know things can and will get better. Grieve now, but keep moving forward.

bitbydeath

I'm really sorry for everything. I want my dad back. I want my dad back. Please come home.
Sorry for your loss.
Make sure you look after yourself. I’m sure your dad would want that for you. Make him proud and live your best life like he is always looking over your shoulder.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your condolences.

I have Dragon Quest XI on the way when I ordered it last week. I know the games are kind of cartoony so I'm hoping it's sort of light-hearted fun and kind of old school jrpg. That'll really help me get through the next couple of weeks until my uncle comes in to help me with stuff.

Pakoe

Gold Member
Sorry for your loss, stay strong brother. There are no words that can give the comfort you need, but know you made your dad proud by taking care of him when he needed it the most.

Catphish

As you saw on the other thread, my father was dying.

I woke up today around 5:37 a.m. and went to check on him and he wasn't breathing. I called the hospice nurse and he was pronounced dead at 6:24 a.m.

I have lived and taking care of my dad most of my life I have been with my dad pretty much all my life and now I am completely alone. I have relatives in other states but I have no brothers or sisters as I am an only child and no family that lives here in this city.

My mother passed away from cancer when I was in my early twenties.

I will have family coming in for the funeral which should be in about 2 or 3 weeks. I am keeping in contact with people everyday.

I am extremely lonely and scared and devastated. My little wiener dog. My dad's little weenie dog doesn't know what's going on. The funeral home took him away and the dog will go outside waiting to see when he's going to come home. It's beyond heartbreaking to me.

I'm lost and I don't know what to do even with some people trying to help me. It's not going to be the same here without my dad. His bedroom door is now closed and I'm going to be sleeping in the living room with the dog. The dog used to sleep in his room, underneath the bed and sometimes beside him.. she thinks he's coming back.

I know he's not and I'm not ready for what's to come next.
My deepest sympathies, Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura

All I have to offer you is the assurance that you're not alone. Many others have been where you are. It's an unfortunate part of life. I lost both of my parents to cancer, just as they were about to enjoy retirement. It fucking sucks.

It may not seem like it, but you'll get through this. The hole will never fully close, but it will get easier as time passes. Lean on the people you have. Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk.

It's gonna be alright. Hang in there. :messenger_heart:

As you saw on the other thread, my father was dying.

I woke up today around 5:37 a.m. and went to check on him and he wasn't breathing. I called the hospice nurse and he was pronounced dead at 6:24 a.m.

I have lived and taking care of my dad most of my life I have been with my dad pretty much all my life and now I am completely alone. I have relatives in other states but I have no brothers or sisters as I am an only child and no family that lives here in this city.

My mother passed away from cancer when I was in my early twenties.

I will have family coming in for the funeral which should be in about 2 or 3 weeks. I am keeping in contact with people everyday.

I am extremely lonely and scared and devastated. My little wiener dog. My dad's little weenie dog doesn't know what's going on. The funeral home took him away and the dog will go outside waiting to see when he's going to come home. It's beyond heartbreaking to me.

I'm lost and I don't know what to do even with some people trying to help me. It's not going to be the same here without my dad. His bedroom door is now closed and I'm going to be sleeping in the living room with the dog. The dog used to sleep in his room, underneath the bed and sometimes beside him.. she thinks he's coming back.

I know he's not and I'm not ready for what's to come next.
Sorry for your loss my dude. Just remember to use your past to become a better and stronger person instead of being sad or upset about it.

Live in the today, set mini goals and accomplish them. Find something you enjoy and want to dedicate your life too and focus on that. This will take time to heal, but that's how it is. Whatever you do, do not get sidetracked by stupid shit like drugs or alcohol to cure the sadness. You'll spiral into trap and end up hurting yourself. Hang out with friends or something, or play some social MMOs like World of Warcraft or even Sea of Thieves if you prefer to have some fun silly moments on your pirate adventures.

Either way, stay strong.

Last edited:

Amiga

My condolences.

A part of your life has moved on. It's time to evolve as a person and grow a new life around you. It is your turn to be the parent. consider moving to a new state if you want. look to finding a mate that shares your values and is committed to starting a family.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sorry for your loss. I lost my father as well before his time should have ended. It's awful. It's something nobody can really prepare you for. Just take it a day at a time. Stay busy with things if you can.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How's it going with the living arrangements? Will you get to stay for a while? Maybe that's not what you want to think about right now, but we want to know that you'll land on your feet (which I'm certain you will)!

My deepest sympathies, Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura

All I have to offer you is the assurance that you're not alone. Many others have been where you are. It's an unfortunate part of life. I lost both of my parents to cancer, just as they were about to enjoy retirement. It fucking sucks.

It may not seem like it, but you'll get through this. The hole will never fully close, but it will get easier as time passes. Lean on the people you have. Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk.

It's gonna be alright. Hang in there. :messenger_heart:
I'm so sorry. I lost my mother to cancer when I was in my early twenties.

How's it going with the living arrangements? Will you get to stay for a while? Maybe that's not what you want to think about right now, but we want to know that you'll land on your feet (which I'm certain you will)!
That's really up in the air right now but I'm thinking of moving away from this city and to a city where there's family around.

In fact, that was one of my cousins ideas and I think it's a good idea. I don't think I'm going to be able to last here without family anymore.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's really up in the air right now but I'm thinking of moving away from this city and to a city where there's family around.

In fact, that was one of my cousins ideas and I think it's a good idea. I don't think I'm going to be able to last here without family anymore.

Sounds like a good idea if there's nothing really keeping you where you are right now.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to get to all of your replies. My online presence is very limited on all social media and everything else considering how I feel right now.

I've just been watching a lot of television and I have Dragon Quest XI coming in the mail tomorrow and hoping that will occupy my time and keep my mind off things for now.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm sorry I haven't been able to get to all of your replies. My online presence is very limited on all social media and everything else considering how I feel right now.

I've just been watching a lot of television and I have Dragon Quest XI coming in the mail tomorrow and hoping that will occupy my time and keep my mind off things for now.
If you'd like an additional recommendation or two after DQXI, I really felt like Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 Royal were great for getting rid of loneliness imho.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
RIP and focus your energy on how you will manage without him. Mourning will always be there.

I lost both my parents like you. First my mom to cancer then my dad later to alcoholism.

I have learned the hard way that people just don't really give a shit at the end of the day, not even any of my so-called friends.

In fact, it seems people just want to make me feel worse. Even my psychiatrist said something to me which caused me to feel worse than before speaking with her. I never did like her but holy shit did she ever give me a reason to really hate her now.

I have no family or friends in the city now and I just want out. There's nothing here but painful memories.

This just sucks and I would not wish it upon any of you or even any of my enemies. I hope you never have to go through this, losing a close family member and then being all alone.

Damn, I tried to console someone on Twitter just now and they snapped at me and unfollowed me and said I'm getting on their nerves.

It's like everything I do or say just makes things worse.

Even here I'm having a hard time replying to people with certain things.

This is why I can't get into grief groups or anything else involving strangers. And why I should be avoiding social media during this time like I was until today.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Damn, I tried to console someone on Twitter just now and they snapped at me and unfollowed me and said I'm getting on their nerves.

It's like everything I do or say just makes things worse.

Even here I'm having a hard time replying to people with certain things.

This is why I can't get into grief groups or anything else involving strangers. And why I should be avoiding social media during this time like I was until today.
Historically, have you always had trouble with person to person communication? It's easy for me to say, but in these trying times of high emotion, try to understand that it will be harder than usual to properly convey thoughts and feelings without striking a nerve or being on edge yourself. Just take it slowly and don't give up hope.

Historically, have you always had trouble with person to person communication? It's easy for me to say, but in these trying times of high emotion, try to understand that it will be harder than usual to properly convey thoughts and feelings without striking a nerve or being on edge yourself. Just take it slowly and don't give up hope.
Yes I do.

nush

Gold Member
I have learned the hard way that people just don't really give a shit at the end of the day, not even any of my so-called friends.

In fact, it seems people just want to make me feel worse. Even my psychiatrist said something to me which caused me to feel worse than before speaking with her. I never did like her but holy shit did she ever give me a reason to really hate her now.

I have no family or friends in the city now and I just want out. There's nothing here but painful memories.

This just sucks and I would not wish it upon any of you or even any of my enemies. I hope you never have to go through this, losing a close family member and then being all alone.

If you're seeing a psychiatrist you know, maybe you're not taking the best reading of any social situation? If your only taking the worst reading of everything, people don't want to be around that it's not a them problem. Get off GAF, go play more Dragon Quest.

If you're seeing a psychiatrist you know, maybe you're not taking the best reading of any social situation? If your only taking the worst reading of everything, people don't want to be around that it's not a them problem. Get off GAF, go play more Dragon Quest.
I barely been on this forum except for today and yes, I am the problem.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Im so sorry for your loss, my dad passed away two years ago due to a surgery that went wrong, the first days my brain still thought he was there, because we work on his office

i still feel like he's missing. but we all can move forward, treasure the life he gave you, the memories you have with your parents, and remember the good times, i know my dad wouldn't have liked to see us sad so that's what keeps me going, and good frienships, i hope you recover friend and find a little peace within yourself

I have a friend who I've been friends with since the '90s who called me last night. Both his parents passed away a while back. Since then he's been living with his brother for about 18 years.

A few days ago his brother went to the store, collapsed and died an hour later.

Like me, my friend no longer has family who lives here in the city. I spoke to him last night and everything he's feeling is 100% what I'm feeling. Loneliness, hopeless and scared.

Because of my situation I was able to relate to what happened with him and I feel really bad for him right now. I'm going to be checking up on him on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom