• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My favorite thing about the current gen consoles is not the graphics...

Hard disagree here.

Most games have used the features very well and many older titles have added it. GT7 is the most recent game I've played with it and it's used fantastically for both adaptive triggers and haptics.

I recently got the Series X and my very first impression is how bad the controller feels compared to the DualSense. Not only does it lack the features, but it just feels cheaper to me. From button noise, to the actual plastic and weight. The d-pad is stupid loud and the analogs hit the edge of the plastics too easily.
What older games have it? I just recently got a ps5 (after a 1.4 year wait of trying to get one), and only games I know with it is returnal, demon souls, astrobot, gt7, dying light 2, and gta5.

I really like it on gta5 the road and aiming are great. Returnal uses it to amazing effect too. It's definitely a game changer.

Swift_Star

Banned
such an overrated controller lol. most trigger effects are annoying as hell and like 2 games I played so far actually used them in a good way.
You’re only saying that because séries x controller doesn’t have these functions. Nobody is falling for this act.

Last edited:

Banned
You’re only saying that because séries x controller doesn’t have these functions. Nobody is falling for this act.

how about, stop projecting?

the controller is overrated as hell. the ergonomics aren't good, the buttons feel mushy and the features, while cool, are mostly used in really forgettable or bad ways.
it's only a small handful of games that actually use the triggers in any meaningful way. and the HD Rumble knockoff is completely hit or miss. in some games the vibration is just too weak due to the small motors.

Fanboys are always quick to call others fanboys. meanwhile I'm shitting on Microsoft each day, but that is of course ignored to fit the narrative :) I made a whole thread about why one of their biggest games is a piece of pure shit just recently...
but clearly I'm just saying this because the Xbox controller doesn't have the features! YOU GOT ME!

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
how about, stop projecting?

the controller is overrated as hell. the ergonomics aren't good, the buttons feel mushy and the features, while cool, are mostly used in really forgettable or bad ways.
it's only a small handful of games that actually use the triggers in any meaningful way. and the HD Rumble knockoff is completely hit or miss. in some games the vibration is just too weak due to the small motors.

Fanboys are always quick to call others fanboys. meanwhile I'm shitting on Microsoft each day, but that is of course ignored to fit the narrative :) I made a whole thread about why one of their biggest games is a piece of pure shit just recently...
but clearly I'm just saying this because the Xbox controller doesn't have the features! YOU GOT ME!
You’re not fooling anyone. Give up.

SeraphJan

Trying to go back to any previous gen all the way to PS1, their perceived loading time had never been this painful to me. Only cartridge in 16 bit era could be called smooth transition.

I do rock PC SSD for several years, but it was nothing like 9th gen console where they use tech such as DirectStorage (I forgot what the PS5 version was called)

RPS37

my favorite XSX feature is quick resume. It's quite a game changer for someone who only has small chunks of time to game and also juggles various games at once. The PS5 DualSense controller is also a favorite feature of mine since it makes even some multiplatform titles feel unique on the console. This is a great time for gaming imo. Can't wait for more people to get their hands on these systems.
Yeah. Quick Resume is wild.

Sentenza

Remember when up to a year ago consoles used to have slow-ass mechanical hard disks and in some games you basically needed to ask for a day off at work between loadings? But somehow "loading times weren't a big deal" for the same people?

Now console loyalists of each brand are battling for which console has the situational 2-seconds lead as if their lives depended on it.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
The best feature of these consoles is trying to find ways to hide them because of their bad design, between a it’s just a stupid black box and the “it was an alien who did it trust me” both are ugly to look at.

We deserve better looking consoles specially for those prices! There I said it!

K2D

Banned
1) Next gen exculsives

2) 1st party killer apps

(GT7 was here before the "only online single player" debacle)

3) This is waiting (AAAA games)

4) Repurchase your old games, again, because of:

5) Lack of backwards compability

Dream-Knife

Banned
next gen has barely even started and most of the games are crossgen so ssd loading speeds should be one of the biggest things right now. Plus since current gen games are going after 4k, 60fps , and raytracing, expect pretty much last gen games with those features. The ps6 and xbox one series x 2 should be where we actually see more of a jump in my opinion since it will most likely be only a big change to resolution to 8k versus the resolution increasing, doubling fps, and ray tracing.

I hope we stick to 4k for ps6 and xb1sx2.
2160p doesn't even make sense yet, even for the 3090ti.

But they will for sure go the 8k route. 8k tvs get more popular by the day. Bigger number and all.
The best feature of these consoles is trying to find ways to hide them because of their bad design, between a it’s just a stupid black box and the “it was an alien who did it trust me” both are ugly to look at.

Series X looks nice IMO. It's like two GameCubes.
PS5 is a weird choice. Especially when the PS4 pro looked so good.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
2160p doesn't even make sense yet, even for the 3090ti.

But they will for sure go the 8k route. 8k tvs get more popular by the day. Bigger number and all.

Series X looks nice IMO. It's like two GameCubes.
PS5 is a weird choice. Especially when the PS4 pro looked so good.
Series X kinda it’s ugly unless you see the cool exhaust with the green accent.
Yeah no idea how they went from PS4 - beautiful console to that thing!

Roberts

I think the biggest change is 60fps on pretty much every new game. That is a game changer for me. I used to be ok with 30 fps until I got XsX. Now I cant stand it. I would also include fps Boost for older games.

Loading is important too, obviously.

The third favorite new thing is auto-HDR.

sircaw

Banned
Loading times on the ps5 are incredible.

Saying that I really love the dual sense, the best controller I have used by a country mile.

I also really like the built-in mic, getting to use it to message friends, search on youtube etc is really something i never thought would be so important. Can't live with out it now, its like a little cherry on the Top

MikeM

My ranking:
1. FPS (60 and 120= yes).
2. Dualsense
3. Load times
4. FPS Boost

Overall, this gen has me impressed with the sheer refinement of the consoles. A lot of new, actually useable features really makes it stand out thus far. Can’t wait to see what performance boosts primitive/mesh shaders brings to gaming.

Topher

Gold Member
Remember when up to a year ago consoles used to have slow-ass mechanical hard disks and in some games you basically needed to ask for a day off at work between loadings? But somehow "loading times weren't a big deal" for the same people?

Now console loyalists of each brand are battling for which console has the situational 2-seconds lead as if their lives depended on it.

It will be nice when we see advancements in IO come to PC games like we have on consoles, don't you think?

Last edited:

Beechos

Omg quick resume is a godsend this is the most inpressive thing to me. Quick resume allow me to bypass all those developer/splash screens and go straight into where i left off. Its like save states when using a emulator.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

3e87b313-21dd-452b-9f1e-09ecf2453542.png

Beside having the white colored plastic curse, I really like the compact design of the series s.

DaGwaphics

While graphic updates are always appreciated and the UE5 games will be a treat without question, I think QR has probably been the most impactful feature of the gen so far. After that the load times in general and fps patches and boosts.

ethomaz

Banned
I wonder if people finding the loading times around 2s in some games (most games have bad loading yet) amazing played games between 1990 to around 2000.

Most specifically all Nintendo consoles before GameCube or Sega consoles before Saturn.

NES, SNES Mega Drive, N64, etc all have instantâneos loading times or I should say no loading time?

I means seems really great to people that started to play after 2000.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Playing DBZ fighterz with my son is a lot more bearable. Now I can get my ass kicked a lot faster than before. It’s also harder to quit because the rematch option is too fast.

Topher

Gold Member
Playing DBZ fighterz with my son is a lot more bearable. Now I can get my ass kicked a lot faster than before. It’s also harder to quit because the rematch option is too fast.

Only game where I can beat my kids is StarCraft. So of course, they never want to play.

Batiman

Banned
Only game where I can beat my kids is StarCraft. So of course, they never want to play.
I’ve spent about 9 years letting him beat me at games now the little fucker shows no restraint beating my ass at everything besides shooters. He pretty much beat 80% of Elden ring while calling me a noob claiming I never beat one hard boss. Lol.

I’m getting old…

Sentenza

It will be nice when we see advancements in IO come to PC games like we have on consoles, don't you think?
Sure, It will like to erode another second or two here and there.

And they are coming, in fact.

But let's not pretend it's going to be the same order of magnitude as the previous generational jump.

Topher

Gold Member
Sure, It will like to erode another second or two here and there.

And they are coming, in fact.

But let's not pretend it's going to be the same order of magnitude as the previous generational jump.

From HDD to SDD? Of course not. Never implied that. But the difference between console and PC loading times right now is a bit more than you give it credit for. Halo Infinite campaign takes almost a minute to load on my PC (from Samsung 980 Pro drive) versus under twenty seconds on my XSX. Of course that isn't going to be the case for all games on XSX as they are not all optimized for Direct Storage and Velocity Architecture like Halo Infinite is. But consoles are still ahead of the game and PCs are playing catch up.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Can't say i really care much. Even today i still install games on my HDD with some few exceptions here and there.
Halo Infinite campaign takes almost a minute to load on my PC (from Samsung 980 Pro drive) versus under twenty seconds on my XSX.
uh, thats weird.

Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your game/pc?

Sentenza

From HDD to SDD? Of course not. Never implied that. But the difference between console and PC loading times right now is a bit more than you give it credit for. Halo Infinite campaign takes almost a minute to load on my PC (from Samsung 980 Pro drive) versus under twenty seconds on my XSX. Of course that isn't going to be the case for all games on XSX as they are not all optimized for Direct Storage and Velocity Architecture like Halo Infinite is. But consoles are still ahead of the game and PCs are playing catch up.
Ok, I just tested it:

I just uploaded it, so the high quality version has yet to process, but I don't think it's relevant for this test.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Can't say i really care much. Even today i still install games on my HDD with some few exceptions here and there.

uh, thats weird.

Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your game/pc?

Ok, I just tested it:

I just uploaded it, so the high quality version has yet to process, but I don't think it's relevant for this test.

Yeah, my test was wrong. This is a brand new build and a fresh install of Halo Infinite. I'm guessing the first time takes longer to process some stuff or something, but after seeing both of your posts I tried again and it was about the same.

So......yeah...

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Guilty_AI

Yeah, my test was wrong. This is a brand new build and a fresh install of Halo Infinite. I'm guessing the first time takes longer to process some stuff or something, but after seeing both of your posts I tried again and it was about the same.

So......yeah...

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office
If i'm not mistaken, MS games on PC do shader compilation on their first run (or after updates), at least thats how i remember from Forza Horizon 4.

Nah. It'll be something like 6k at 30fps upscaled to 8k. At the bottom end we'll have 4k upscaled to 8k just like we had 1080p upscaled to 4k on PS5 with Returnal.

8k TVs should be more common by the time the PS6 is out so expect Sony to want market the PS6 to go well with their new 8k Bravia line just like they did the PS5 with the 4k Bravias.
Ugh...I hope that not the case even though it makes perfect t sense. Sony will want to use 8k as a big feature. I have no desire to move on from 4k though. I just can't imagine 8k could be worth it. Can we get some amazing looking 4k games first? Even native 4k is hogging resources. Who knows though if I'll feel the same way 8 years from now. I hate when new games come out now still releasing at 1080p. It's OK if it's in addition to 4k but not when it's the highest it goes. Lots of remasters release this way still. Like square Enix remasters. They are not even with where the industry standard is its pathetic.

RAIDEN1

All well and good about the load times, but on the games front things haven't got better....with all the fancy tech we have now, there STILL isn't a racing game on these systems that can beat Burnout 3 released in 2004..

Neo_game

Yeah first time I experienced SSD it was eye opening. You can immediately notice it. CPU is the next big upgrade. I also think they need to invest more on controller for next gen as well. RAM upgrade was most disappointing.

Zeroing

Banned
3e87b313-21dd-452b-9f1e-09ecf2453542.png

Beside having the white colored plastic curse, I really like the compact design of the series s.
yeah although that design is clearly an influence from a Swiss designer products from the 60s

I dunno we either get crazy looking consoles or boring looking ones.

My old teacher used to say less is more but less is a bore.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I agree, the shorter loading times improved the experience. I disagree that the graphics are all that much better though.

I'll wait for a severe price drop, new system, or just stick with PC+Switch combo.

I completely agree. After having the Series X I just cannot go back to the PS4 Pro to play. The load times are so long that I just give up. Now I'm waiting for the right opportunity to finally get a PS5. In the meantime I will enjoy the load times, quick resume, and being able to play many games at 60 FPS, all of which are the biggest improvements for me

Quasicat

my favorite XSX feature is quick resume. It's quite a game changer for someone who only has small chunks of time to game and also juggles various games at once. The PS5 DualSense controller is also a favorite feature of mine since it makes even some multiplatform titles feel unique on the console. This is a great time for gaming imo. Can't wait for more people to get their hands on these systems.
This is something that I miss when playing PS5. Especially now that you can pin certain games permanently to Quick Resume. Hopefully Sony puts some indicator on the main menu showing which game is suspended like the PS4 does.

Personally, it's all things for me. New games, graphics, load time, unique features, etc. Having a higher overall baseline in hardware specs will move the games industry forward as a whole.

teezzy

Banned
i love console players acting like SSDs are some newfound discovery

I say this as someone who loves their Series X dearly fwiw

Quick resume is a beast

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m kind of indifferent towards my PS5, I’m enjoying the games but other than better loading times I’m experience with my PS5 is exactly as PS4, not much different honestly.

Top Bottom