• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Ultra Rumble - Beta Gameplay

rubhen925

My friend got into the beta, so got a chance to try it out last night. It's basically a battle royale with the MHA series skin. As usual the beta timings are always terrible and start super late or super early for NA....

Bandai-Namco-Announces-MY-HERO-ULTRA-RUMBLE-Closed-Beta.jpg

Gameplay is like the usual fighting games they have. Can do some basic combos, and use 1 of 3 special attacks. No ultimate moves though. Seems limited. Each character has a special ability. For example. Deku can lift injured team mates and run away, All might can jump away to safety, and Bakugo can dart across using his gauntlets. It's a team based BR, 3 player teams, and that too a total of 8 teams in a match. You can spawn in different regions in the training center that they got their hero licenses in the anime. That's what the arena seems to resemble. Each area has different themes, fire, water, rock, mountain, etc.

Combat is a bit dodgy due to the connections. Half the time, punches don't connect, or your ranged attacks miss even when aiming directly at them. You don't even have a damn dedicated block button. You have to get shield potions which auto block attacks till the shield meter drains out.... Items can range from health potions, shield potions, and one use items that can give speed boosts, healing regen, defense, attack boosts, and also leveling up your special moves for stronger and faster attacks.

If you get knocked down, you have 20 seconds to auto revive, but if you lose your red bar as well then it's permanent KO. Doesn't matter if you win or lose, you still get coins and stuff that you can use to buy at the shop for mostly it seems to be clothing. There's really nothing else you can use the currency for. You also get tickets to roll for loot boxes. Again mostly quotes, banner cards and clothes. All Aesthetic.

In the Beta there are 12 characters to use, 8 heroes, and 4 villains. Each feels different which is nice i guess. All Might, Todoroki, and Dabi are quite good. But a balanced team of one attacker, healer, and defender is probably the best way to go about it. Playing with randoms is a nightmare atm. People going into different areas by themselves, or just standing in a corner waiting it out...

I played the game on the PS5, PS4 version through backwards compatibility. Didn't run into any performance issues.

I'm still iffy about it, but atleast it's a lot more fun that playing that atrocious Dragon Ball Breakers game also published by Bandai lol.

Here's some gameplay I managed to record. I edited out the loadings and pointless running around and gathering as much as I could.

Last edited:
Top Bottom