• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My journey taught me how dangerous high weight/barbell exercises are

JB1981

I fucked I up my lower back this afternoon when doing dead lift. I was using the normal weight, during the 3rd set I suddenly felt a sharp pain and dropped the weight. It’s so painful I can’t bend over even slightly

This is how I got a herniated disc at L5-S1. I sincerely hope this is not the case for you. Hopefully it's just a muscle.

Deadlifting is a potentially dangerous exercise and can fuck people up real good if they don't know what they're doing.

taybul

Yesterday at my gym there was someone benching 225lb. I had seen him do it before. I was preparing for my set and looked up and suddenly I saw bar pinning him to the bench on his stomach. Ran over and helped him out.

If you're doing anything crazy always prep for failure. He hadn't set the safety guards high enough to catch the bar.

I got a gym membership and honestly have no clue where to begin. I'm extremely lightweight and would just like to be light but strong
Might be worth looking into getting a trainer at the gym just to get the basic for some lifts. Or if you're daring, look on youtube for some guidance, but generally nothing beats having someone else check your form. I personally love exrx (http://www.exrx.net/) since they have gifs and guides for the full motion of a lot of lifts.

I fucked I up my lower back this afternoon when doing dead lift. I was using the normal weight, during the 3rd set I suddenly felt a sharp pain and dropped the weight. It's so painful I can't bend over even slightly

Yikes, sounds like a sprained muscle. One thing I've started doing in prepping for a deadlift set is ensuring my grip by lifting my arms while grasping the bar without actually lifting it. This locks my grip on the actual lift so nothing shifts or twists on the way up.

cHaotix8

Messed up a deadlift a few years back the first time I pulled 405 and sprained my back. That was a lesson that I only needed to get once. Now every rep I focus on form before all else, with plenty of lighter sets to get warmed up.

I've never suffered any lifting related injuries outside of that instance, and I've been lifting for roughly 8 years.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is how I got a herniated disc at L5-S1. I sincerely hope this is not the case for you. Hopefully it's just a muscle.

Deadlifting is a potentially dangerous exercise and can fuck people up real good if they don't know what they're doing.

truth... I see poor form so prevalent in deadlifting. :( Fortunately our gym

a) rarely deadlifts
b) virtually never maxes on deadlift
c) sticks mostly to low volume at "what feels right" weights

I do deadlift heavy, but I set my back every. single. rep. and if I feel my back/core go even the slightest most trivial amount, I'll drop the bar.

7 years of lifting without a deadlift injury.. sticking to this plan I should be able to go another 25 years without deadlift injury.

Messed up a deadlift a few years back the first time I pulled 405 and sprained my back. That was a lesson that I only needed to get once. Now every rep I focus on form before all else, with plenty of lighter sets to get warmed up.

I've never suffered any lifting related injuries outside of that instance, and I've been lifting for roughly 8 years.
my only injuries in 7 years of lifting were at two different points tearing each labrum. one was weird... I was squatting not even super heavy.. ~70-75% of my max.. and tear...

the other was less weird.. I was sore.. obviously there was inflammation or even a minute tear already.. and I pushed it... never fucking again.

so yeah, I've only ever come away with one injury where it's "hmm.... not really sure how that happened.." in 7 years.. I feel I am doing well on taking my lifting form seriously.

Grazzt

How to tell if it’s the muscle or the disk?
Edit: just googled, it says herniated disks usually cause leg or shoulder pain, not lower back pain. Guess it’s just sprained muscle

JB1981

How to tell if it’s the muscle or the disk?
Edit: just googled, it says herniated disks usually cause leg or shoulder pain, not lower back pain. Guess it’s just sprained muscle

Depends on the disc that's herniated. Shooting pain down the leg is one symptom but not the only one. If you have a low back disc issue it absolutely will cause localized back pain

Shit's dangerous when you don't use proper form and lift heavier than you can actually handle.

I miss the gym, I fucked my knee up at work just as I felt like I was making some really good progress (140KG squat, 100Kg bench). Ever since I had surgery on my knee cartilage it just hasn't been the same. Can't squat any more, can't deadlift. Can barely bench either. Feels bad.

Veelk

Banned
Just thought I'd chime in.

I just did some deadlifts about an hour ago and it caused me extreme pain in my lower back. I ended up deciding to go home because I was worried about injuring myself further.

The pain almost entirely faded by the time I got home, so I feel like I just missed the rest of my workout for nothing.

I think it's because I've been a lazy, fat piece of shit that sat in bed for the last several months, and now my body just needs to relearn to not be a lazy fat piece of shit. That and I think I need to do some core exercises so that I'm just overall stronger.

So I don't THINK it's a major problem, but if it keeps happening every time I try to deadlift, I'll go see a doctor about it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just thought I'd chime in.

I just did some deadlifts about an hour ago and it caused me extreme pain in my lower back. I ended up deciding to go home because I was worried about injuring myself further.

The pain almost entirely faded by the time I got home, so I feel like I just missed the rest of my workout for nothing.

I think it's because I've been a lazy, fat piece of shit that sat in bed for the last several months, and now my body just needs to relearn to not be a lazy fat piece of shit. That and I think I need to do some core exercises so that I'm just overall stronger.

So I don't THINK it's a major problem, but if it keeps happening every time I try to deadlift, I'll go see a doctor about it.

I say its better to punch out when youre unsure than risk aggravating your back even more. One day missed versus weeks or months.

Tuorom

Neo Member
Yea I am currently thinking about retiring the deadlift from my program, at least conventional. Sumo I seem to be able to tolerate because it is more glutes than lower back.
But fuck, I went this whole summer with a sore back from deadlifting (ego lifted), came back to school and started up again using way less weight and focusing on technique. My back pain disappeared! So I was like huh, maybe I can try for 315 again. Bad idea, my form buckled but being the stubborn fuck I am, I completed the rep. So now my back pain is....back.

I think I stop deadlifting and instead start using bulgarian split squats and glute-ham raises. We'll see how she goes.

Izayoi

Banned
I got hurt very badly lifting under the supervision of a so called "personal trainer". The bar for getting certified must be extremely low. He told me to go until failure, and to always do more reps than I thought I could.

One horrible SLAP tear, thousands of dollars in medical bills, and three years later, I can comfortably say that I will never lift above body weight ever again in my life.

Stay away from heavy weights unless you're working with a real professional - skip the personal trainer, and honestly, skip heavy weights unless you're a professional yourself. It is completely unnecessary - you can look great without benching four times your body weight.

The risk is not worth the reward. Don't be fooled by the cult-like communities online that are obsessed with dangerous and unnecessary exercise regimes.

The amount of injuries we see in clinic that are related to weight lifting is astonishing. Anecdotally, from an orthopedic standpoint, there is an outsized risk associated with weight lifting over all other sports. None of the injuries we see from other sports (outside of maybe American football) are as frequent or as severe as weight lifting ones.

jacjon

Neo Member
Yeah I have to agree, I tried a program my friend gave me from physiqz and it ended up getting me injured. But to be honest I think I just tried to just into things too quickly and i used too heavy of weight. I want to try again in the future but I'm going to start out much lighter.

I feel like most trainers don't know what they are talking about. Finds some one with a degree in physical education/ nutrition too many jar heads think lifting a crap ton of weights and eating powdered protein is the way to go. Now Im not saying Im super knowledgeable on the subject but I have some basic understanding on how NOT to hurt yourself. Pace your self, more reps and less weight when you start off. Cardio is important too. I mainly use the specialized machines at my university to minimize risk of lifting weight improperly. I could work on my diet personally its not the best but I at least take a mens multivitamin everyday to make sure my body gets the essential nutrients. I stay far away from bulk protein powder, stick to baked chicken and fish and you will do just fine. I want to be muscular and toned. Not the hulk. I see so many guys who look really strong but that muscle dose not look "toned" if you know what I mean. Looks like fat all because they wanted to gain as much weight as possible. Never thought that was a good look.

Last edited:
I got hurt very badly lifting under the supervision of a so called "personal trainer". The bar for getting certified must be extremely low. He told me to go until failure, and to always do more reps than I thought I could.

One horrible SLAP tear, thousands of dollars in medical bills, and three years later, I can comfortably say that I will never lift above body weight ever again in my life.

Stay away from heavy weights unless you're working with a real professional - skip the personal trainer, and honestly, skip heavy weights unless you're a professional yourself. It is completely unnecessary - you can look great without benching four times your body weight.

The risk is not worth the reward. Don't be fooled by the cult-like communities online that are obsessed with dangerous and unnecessary exercise regimes.

The amount of injuries we see in clinic that are related to weight lifting is astonishing. Anecdotally, from an orthopedic standpoint, there is an outsized risk associated with weight lifting over all other sports. None of the injuries we see from other sports (outside of maybe American football) are as frequent or as severe as weight lifting ones.
Yea he dose not know what the fuck he is talking about. If you want a legit trainer get someone with a actually degree in physical education or athletic training. Sorry you got scammed by that meat head.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Injuries are hard to project. Lifting weights is strategic, and it’s very important to have a good mindset which I think that particular trainer was trying to instill.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Man, you people have no perspective.

People injure themselves all the time. People develop chronic pain from sitting in front of a computer and typing.

Pain and injuries are a fact of life. On the balance, you're better off lifting than if you weren't.

EDIT: wtf at the necro bump.

Last edited:
I share your pain op and I spent years doing the wrong workouts with the biggest weights you could get rather than the ones that worked for me and my body.

I suffered back and ankle injuries which did nothing but set me back but I began to concentrate on the techniques rather than trying to beat my last bench press.

In the end I found comfort in the girl weight rack as I could do more reps...more full extensions and actually ended up more jacked than trying to work my way up the men’s weight rack.

This mixed with a good diet and cardio have given me a body I’ve never had and probably one that looks better than 80% of the bros hanging out in the weight area

Embrace the girly weights...they actually work better than you think

Edit..god damn necro bump

Last edited:
Top Bottom