• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My kids just spent half thier day in Lockdown

Kagey K

Banned
This is the first time a possible school shooter came close to us.

They have had to stay home before because of possible threats to the school, but this was the first time where they were already there and then it happened.

I can't even try to explain the surge of emotions I got when my daughter first texted me that they were locked down and it wasn't a drill.

Thankfully the person didn't ever get inside the school and after 3 hours it was all over, but I couldn't imagine going through this every day as you send your kids to get educated.

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear that man, sounds like a nightmare scenario to live through as a parent and I'm thankful that nothing worse happened to your children or anyone else at that school beyond the fear of being placed in lockdown for that duration.

As someone from the UK it still seems so crazy to me that these things happen in the US and they remain a regular enough occurrence across the country, I really hope gun laws get the changes desperately needed to reduce these horrific tragedies from occurring.

Wishing you and your family all the blessings possible.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear that man, sounds like a nightmare scenario to live through as a parent and I'm thankful that nothing worse happened to your children or anyone else at that school beyond the fear of being placed in lockdown for that duration.

As someone from the UK it still seems so crazy to me that these things happen in the US and they remain a regular enough occurrence across the country, I really hope gun laws get the changes desperately needed to reduce these horrific tragedies from occurring.

Wishing you and your family all the blessings possible.
I'm not even in the US. I'm in Canada, and a small town at that& to try to avoid this shit.

TBH I don't even know why I posted this thread other than to vent and try to let some of exhaust off.

Regardless both my kids made it home safe, other than some mental exhaustion.

Hearing my 14 year old say I thought this was my last day on earth hit me hard though.

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm not even in the US. I'm in Canada, and a small town at that& to try to avoid this shit.

TBH I don't even know why I posted this thread other than to vent and try to let some of exhaust off.

Regardless both my kids made it home safe, other than some mental exhaustion.

Hearing my 14 year old say I thought this was my last day on earth hit me hard though.
Jesus really? Damn forgive my naivety, never really hear about it happening in Canada over on our news channels here.

Venting is important and necessary, I'd always recommend it over bottling things up, especially here where our site is mostly filled with great understanding people.

That's hard to hear bud, I'm sorry again that you guys had to go through that, hopefully one day this won't be something that plagues modern society.

Kagey K

Banned
Jesus really? Damn forgive my naivety, never really hear about it happening in Canada over on our news channels here.

Venting is important and necessary, I'd always recommend it over bottling things up, especially here where our site is mostly filled with great understanding people.

That's hard to hear bud, I'm sorry again that you guys had to go through that, hopefully one day this won't be something that plagues modern society.
It doesnt really happen in Canada because all you can really own is a shotgun or a hunting rifle so you are going to maybe hit 2 people and then get run over as you are reloading.

It doesnt take the fear our though when the possibility was your 2 kids could get hit from those initial shots.

Thanks for your support though, and I hope you never have to go through it.

Cyberpunkd

It doesnt really happen in Canada because all you can really own is a shotgun or a hunting rifle so you are going to maybe hit 2 people and then get run over as you are reloading.

It doesnt take the fear our though when the possibility was your 2 kids could get hit from those initial shots.

Thanks for your support though, and I hope you never have to go through it.
Always bizarre hearing stories like this. In France there is constant security presence but everyone just chills and feels safe seeing real soldiers patrolling.

Tams

Always bizarre hearing stories like this. In France there is constant security presence but everyone just chills and feels safe seeing real soldiers patrolling.
It's still pretty fucked up that you need soldiers patrolling though.

In the UK there are some armed police on patrol, but really only near Parliament and at airports.

Cyberpunkd

In the UK there are some armed police on patrol, but really only near Parliament and at airports.
Don't know the details, maybe there are linked to some joined actions with the police or "community outreach"? They were walking over the weekend in the park, which is probably the last place you would stage a terror attack (wide area, people far apart, etc.).

Star-Lord

Growing up in Ireland, there was always a heavy police presence in and around the school grounds. You get used to it after a while.

Tams

I'm assuming you're old enough to know of the troubles? If so, then you know that regardless of whether they're police or soldiers, it was still a damn fucking scary time to be a kid going to school.
Never said it wasn't. That wasn't my point, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Last edited:
1-format43.jpg

We have these boys walking around the main railstation. Similarly equipped cops are seen in front of some synagogues too. Feels more weird than safe, but it is what it is.

Cyberpunkd

1-format43.jpg

We have these boys walking around the main railstation. Similarly equipped cops are seen in front of some synagogues too. Feels more weird than safe, but it is what it is.
Yeah same here, apparently people are saying regulations forbid them from keeping the guns loaded. Obviously they can probably load in seconds, but still :)

When my oldest was in 7th grade I got that dreaded text. "Dad, we are in lockdown, someone on campus with gun." She and some other kids had barricaded themselves in the kitchen with the cafeteria staff.

Turns out the gun in question was a Civil War era muzzle loader that a history teacher had bought in as part of his lesson plan. The teach had gotten permission from admin beforehand, but you can hardly blame someone for calling the fuzz when they saw someone hauling a long rifle case across campus in this day and age.

I was impressed with the police response, cops in full tac were all over the school. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah, when I went to pick up my 3 year old from daycare the teacher was in the middle of talking about what to do if a bad person came to school. Each kid was taking turns saying what to do…made me sad that this is the world they’re growing up in. I never once imagined my school getting shot up until columbine…

Last edited:

Mistake

In high school, I had two classes with one guy who brought a gun. They found it in his locker. After we got a school officer there weren’t any more incidents. Plenty of reasons to home school your kid, this being one of them.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

KLaKjnd.jpg

honestly I feel much safer with trained soldiers around moreso than the poorly trainer power tripping goobers we call policemen who coward as soon as shit goes down.

spawn

My daughter will be starting public school next year. It's all really crazy to think about. When I was in school these things happened, but it seems like they're happening more frequently lately

Top Bottom