• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Mixed Thoughts on XCloud. From a gamer who doesnt like the idea of streaming games, but wanted to try.

Beechos

I agree at the start most fast paced games were unplayable for me via xcloud. Now for the most part the input feels like im playing on my console. Since im a graphics whore the picture quality is the main thing that gets me. Xbox one and series games can drop down to blurry 360 type quality

tygertrip

Xbox cloud gaming doesn't totally suck. I like being able to jump into a game to try it without an install. it's responsive enough for most games. The main thing that annoys me is how bad it is at updating dark scenes. Whatever grid based algorithm they use gets really confused when dark and slightly dark intermingle.
I think that is where cloud gaming really excels... as a demo system. Turn-based games also. But imagine playing Quake 3 over the cloud, it would be a fucking joke! Only the most zoomery of zoomers would insist that would be acceptable, no matter the connection!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think that is where cloud gaming really excels... as a demo system. Turn-based games also. But imagine playing Quake 3 over the cloud, it would be a fucking joke! Only the most zoomery of zoomers would insist that would be acceptable, no matter the connection!
Anything that requires twitch accuracy has been frustrating to me. Not because of controller latency, though. Most of the games I've tried have been fine, even most action games. The problem is artifacting in the way the images update make FPS-type reticle aiming dicey, especially in dark scenes where the algorithm can't seem to tell the difference between the reticle and lighter areas of dark background textures. I've seen a lot of tearing when the algorithm just gives up and repaints the entire screen.

I can see that being a challenge for the cloud engineering team, at least based on how it looks like the screen updates on Xbox cloud gaming. It looks like the screen is laid out in a grid of small squares and it won't update squares that it doesn't think have changed. You can really see it on a dark scene where there's a light source that slightly lightens the scene. Squares will pop in as the engine detects changes and it is very noticeable.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Stuart360 Stuart360

Streaming is the future ? I would say part of it and mobile, PC, consoles will continue to be very popular which is great.(i will surprise many of you, but i always keep a good handheld with me... 🤫)

- People having cloud issue with 1GB internet > Stable connection is more important than speed.

- Was Xcloud free ? No.(you pay a sub...)
- Is Xcloud free right now ? Kinda, Fortnite is the first F2P playable without sub on the service.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
The best "streaming" game service right now is Geforce Now. It's amazing. It's damn near imperceptible to a native PC experience. If anyone has doubts, I'd highly suggest they try that. The rest of the industry just has to catch up to the standard that Nvidia has set and then they'll be converts.

It will never replace a local experience for me, but if I didn't have access to my hardware and felt the urge to play, playing on Geforce Now would easily hold me over.
Geforce Now is indeed amazing and the best streaming service "if" you already have compatible games and the expensive 3080 tier.

Nonetheless GFN isn't the best free cloud service. It has more games than rivals but it's a pretty unbalanced library.
As a Segaboy i was goddam excited to play Yakuza 6 at 60FPS (10fps on my local laptop), excited to play 60FPS RDR2 as well...
NOPE. Almost no Sega games on GFN (only 1 game), no RDR2 compatible...

People can piss on Google as much as they want but Stadia paid for an efficient library of japanese and western big publishers:
Dragon Engine games ? We have Judgment/VF5 on Stadia. We have RDR2 at 60FPS (still at 30 FPS on PS5) with no queue like the free GFN tier and unlimited game sessions...

Stadia had the best Cloud tech. Now it's the GFN3080 tier but what is the point if you cannot play the games you like ? No Sega games, no RDR2, no DQ11, no RE8... Icing on the cake, you pay 200 dollars a year for amazing graphics running... the old gen Fifa22. Fifa 22 next gen is only on PS5/Series X and... Stadia (with crossplay).

Yeah, GFN is great (and will be amazing soon with growing library) but it's not for everyone ATM.

Last edited:

tygertrip

Anything that requires twitch accuracy has been frustrating to me. Not because of controller latency, though. Most of the games I've tried have been fine, even most action games. The problem is artifacting in the way the images update make FPS-type reticle aiming dicey, especially in dark scenes where the algorithm can't seem to tell the difference between the reticle and lighter areas of dark background textures. I've seen a lot of tearing when the algorithm just gives up and repaints the entire screen.

I can see that being a challenge for the cloud engineering team, at least based on how it looks like the screen updates on Xbox cloud gaming. It looks like the screen is laid out in a grid of small squares and it won't update squares that it doesn't think have changed. You can really see it on a dark scene where there's a light source that slightly lightens the scene. Squares will pop in as the engine detects changes and it is very noticeable.
That would drive me nuts. I have an original hw steamlink, and only used it a couple of times because I couldn't tolerate the tiny bit of image degradation from local streaming. I'd never be able to stand streaming from a cloud!

Top Bottom