• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I can't cope

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My mother is a breast cancer survivor. She was diagnosed when I was around 10, and was initially hesitant to undergo treatment but eventually did radiation. No chemo. She had her lymph nodes removes on one side which had cause lifelong complications, but she survived and has been cancer free for 30 years.

Treatment has improved quite a lot since then. It's always frightening to face down any mortal risk -- and that sort of thing has been weighing extra hard on all of us during a pandemic -- but try to focus on supporting her and remember that this probably won't kill her, it's just going to be hard for a while, but she'll get through.

Hi guys!

I wanted to update everyone

The cancer we thought metastasized in the bone was disregarded and misdiagnosed. Mum had 3 cancers in her left breast. One was quite large of a diameter of around 30mm. The cancer was isolated only in the breast and did not spread.

She had to get a mastectomy done with a full breast reconstruction using her belly fat. The operation was a great success! Next week we have an appointment to discuss if its necessary to start chemotherapy.

It has been a rough ride. I am extremely exhausted both mentally and physically. In fact I am getting tested for Lymphoma next week as I have been having a lot of night sweats and enlarged lymph nodes which is apparently not a good thing for a person my age ( 36) according to my doctor. Yet another thing we have to tackle!

But the main thing is my mother is recovering and hopefully will live a long and healthy life from here on forward.

I wanted to thank everyone for the love and support! You guys are amazing! God bless you all!

I'm really happy for you man. Every guy needs his mom, as long as possible. My mom will be passing soon, but she's at home with friends and family.

Cherish every moment you have together.

Hi guys!

I wanted to update everyone

The cancer we thought metastasized in the bone was disregarded and misdiagnosed. Mum had 3 cancers in her left breast. One was quite large of a diameter of around 30mm. The cancer was isolated only in the breast and did not spread.

She had to get a mastectomy done with a full breast reconstruction using her belly fat. The operation was a great success! Next week we have an appointment to discuss if its necessary to start chemotherapy.

It has been a rough ride. I am extremely exhausted both mentally and physically. In fact I am getting tested for Lymphoma next week as I have been having a lot of night sweats and enlarged lymph nodes which is apparently not a good thing for a person my age ( 36) according to my doctor. Yet another thing we have to tackle!

But the main thing is my mother is recovering and hopefully will live a long and healthy life from here on forward.

I wanted to thank everyone for the love and support! You guys are amazing! God bless you all!
Told you it was not the end and she would be fine! I'm glad to see she's recovering, mate. Be positive, you will be ok as well.

sleepnaught

So glad to hear your mom is doing better. I'm sure you'll be fine and before you know it, you and mom will be back to just living life again.

Good luck and good health to both of you.

Cleared_Hot

fuksakes lad, the fella just got a massive kick in the balls and hadnt come to terms with it and was venting in the only place he could, a little fucking sympathy and understanding for your fellow man goes a long way..

Also, glad to hear op's mum is at least on the right road, hang in there for her lad and i sincerely hope all works out
Plenty of you already fucking doing that open your eyes. No need to be a bitch because one dude was actually fucking honest. Besides he liked my post

Marvel

could never
Sending my love to the both of you. You sound like you have the same kinda relationship I have with my mum very close.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Sorry to hear it. There is hope though, i know plenty of women who survived breast cancer. I also worked at a assisted living facility that had many survivors well into their 80's. She will most likely have to get a mastectomy, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom