• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My new Midnight Black DualSense has a tiny flaw but it annoys the heck out of me.

I got a midnight black DualSense for my birthday and the thumb sticks do not move smoothly. When I try to make small precise movements by moving them slowly, they sort of stick/creak like there’s not enough lubrication applied to them.

This is my third replacement and they have all done the same thing.

My original 2 white DualSenses do not have this issue. I took apart both the white and black controllers and noticed the white one has orange stick mechanisms and the black one has green mechanisms.

So I’m pretty good at taking apart small electronics so I tried to put the white logic board into the black controller. It doesn’t work because the ribbon cable for the touch pad is a different size. Ugh.

So my question is, does anyone else have this issue or is it something that will get better with time/wear? I love the look of the midnight black and I don’t wanna return it, especially since it was a birthday present. I just really wish the sticks moved smoothly and not jerky/sticky/creaky. It’s fine if I make quick movements though but not every situation has me moving the sticks quickly.

Anyone else have to deal with this at all? I wish there were a way to get a black DualSense with the same stick mechanisms as the white one. 🙁

cormack12

Gold Member
ktRa2p3-lx-l8SszucGeyT23dMI=.gif

Fake

Thank god my Midnight Black Dualsense not show this problem.

On the other hand will be my third Dualshock 4.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sounds like this is an issue with the midnight black batch of controllers or maybe all of them.

Not much you can do, you could swap ot for a white one I suppose.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I still can't get over how expensive controllers are. $75 is like half the price of a good keyboard, and $15 over the cost of a game. Compared to 20 years ago when a game was $50 and a controller was $30.

I ended up returning it since I have 2 perfect white DualSense controllers. Got them neat launch. No drift and no squeaky sticks.

Tschumi

I got a midnight black DualSense for my birthday and the thumb sticks do not move smoothly. When I try to make small precise movements by moving them slowly, they sort of stick/creak like there’s not enough lubrication applied to them.

My original 2 white DualSenses do not have this issue. I took apart both the white and black controllers and noticed the white one has orange stick mechanisms and the black one has green mechanisms.

So I’m pretty good at taking apart small electronics so I tried to put the white logic board into the black controller. It doesn’t work because the ribbon cable for the touch pad is a different size. Ugh.

So my question is, does anyone else have this issue or is it something that will get better with time/wear? I love the look of the midnight black and I don’t wanna return it, especially since it was a birthday present. I just really wish the sticks moved smoothly and not jerky/sticky/creaky. It’s fine if I make quick movements though but not every situation has me moving the sticks quickly.

Anyone else have to deal with this at all? I wish there were a way to get a black DualSense with the same stick mechanisms as the white one. 🙁
I have precisely the same problem, it's getting less pronounced as i use it more but it's there and it's annoying.

Not enough to bother me though.

Still, playing Kena elicited a Lot of creaks early doors.

boomcrab

I know this sounds like a dumb idea but I bet after you use it for awhile itll adjust. Sometimes you have to 'break them in'

LordOfChaos

Hmm yeah, I noticed one of the sticks was slightly crusty like you describe, like the movement in one direction wasn't lubricated like the other 7 directions (4/each joystick)

Sucks to be detail oriented and a gamer for sure, a lot of the stuff just isn't built with like, an Apple attention to detail. I also don't like how it still wears rings into the stick of the joystick, my Wii U gamepad or 360 controller don't do that. Dualsense is still my favorite overall mind, minor gripes.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just bought one a couple days ago and it hasn’t arrived yet. I don’t expect to be disappointed. I wasn’t disappointed until I saw the thread.

Yeah had it on one of the cherry red ones…thought it just needed to be worn in but it didn’t get better so I returned and swapped it

Guy at local eb has a huge cupboard of defective dual sense controllers so it’s not a one off…Sonys build quality is shit

Top Bottom