• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 HDD is dying

Pretty much common signs: clicking noise when its booting up, takes up to two minutes sometimes to start up and almost always I get a message how my PS4 wasnt turned off properly and restorung database. So I thought to send it out for repairs until i saw how retard freindly it was to swap out a HDD. So my question is which HDD did you guys put afterwards or maybe even better which one is it exactly in the PS4 Pro because im not trying to improve it with an SSD or anything like that, I want to make sure it works like day one and ill sell it pretty soon because im buying a PS5.

I wish changing thumb sticks on the PS4 controller was as retard-friendly because when I saw how many things i need to open and solder, i went NOPE.

Thx guys. Yeah I have PS+ so saves are no problem. I dont mind reinstalling again some games as pretty much all of them I finished, they are just hanging there to be removed until I need more space.

Duchess

Would an external drive work here? I'm thinking that if you got an external drive as a solution, then if you choose to get a PS5 later down the line, you could simply just connect up the external drive with all your PS4 games on it and continue?

Would an external drive work here? I'm thinking that if you got an external drive as a solution, then if you choose to get a PS5 later down the line, you could simply just connect up the external drive with all your PS4 games on it and continue?
If I planed to keep it, yes. But I do want to get rid of my Pro first. And its not a good sales pitch to say, ey the internal one is dying but heres an extra external and you should be fine :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my Pro is in the same boat. I'm not getting clicking noises, but I get a shitload of error messages and frequent game crashes to blue screens with error codes.
Figured I'd just upgrade to a ps5, but finding one has still been impossible.

MaDBrute

Banned
Pretty much common signs: clicking noise when its booting up, takes up to two minutes sometimes to start up and almost always I get a message how my PS4 wasnt turned off properly and restorung database. So I thought to send it out for repairs until i saw how retard freindly it was to swap out a HDD. So my question is which HDD did you guys put afterwards or maybe even better which one is it exactly in the PS4 Pro because im not trying to improve it with an SSD or anything like that, I want to make sure it works like day one and ill sell it pretty soon because im buying a PS5.

I wish changing thumb sticks on the PS4 controller was as retard-friendly because when I saw how many things i need to open and solder, i went NOPE.
You can order parts for controller if you got drift. No need to solder. Qxgaming got parts.

Last edited:
get WD Blue 2.5" drive.

You can order parts for controller if you got drift. No need to solder. Qxgaming got parts.
to fix drift you need to replace the pots and they are soldered on. you can use a heat gun to get it off but you need to solder it back on. other than that you're looking at buying a whole new PCB with the pots pre installed.

Last edited:

MaDBrute

Banned
get WD Blue 2.5" drive.

to fix drift you need to replace the pots and they are soldered on. you can use a heat gun to get it off but you need to solder it back on. other than that you're looking at buying a whole new PCB with the pots pre installed.
You can replace the insides, you need 'tumbstick sensor wheel'.

Last edited:

Hmm but I watched the videos on YT, you literally ahve to take everything out by the time you get to the sticks. But i remember there were 2 solder spots that needed to be removed. Either way its a much bigger pain in the ass thing than literally unscrewing 5 screws and fitting the new hdd in a simple slot.

Depending how damaged your drive is, you may not be able to run the backup procedure.

3-Backup-and-Restore.png

On an external USB drive (3.5inch drives are much faster than 2.5 inch ones) -- You can borrow the external drive!

prod_5043165114

Buy a laptop HDD/SDD to put inside the PS4
wd-blue-3d-nand-sata-ssd-500gb-front.png

Replace the internal drive (No soldering, I promise--but you need a screwdriver)

ps4-harddisk.jpg

Restore your backup
7-Start-Restore.png

MaDBrute

Banned
Hmm but I watched the videos on YT, you literally ahve to take everything out by the time you get to the sticks. But i remember there were 2 solder spots that needed to be removed. Either way its a much bigger pain in the ass thing than literally unscrewing 5 screws and fitting the new hdd in a simple slot.
Ohh fuck yeah, assembling it is even worse then taking it apart.
I bought the cheapest shit possible when my hdd broke

Last edited:
Top Bottom