• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My take on The Matrix Ressurections. (This thread is Spoilers made flesh)

clarky

Gold Member
Well i though it was absolutely fucking awful.

It fails on every level. The acting and direction terrible to say the least. The action simply poor, effects that somehow look worse than the original. The story played out like a reddit fan fiction wank post. The script, o my days, the script. My wife said on several occasions "this cant get any worse surely?" but to our constant surprise it actually did.

Will Smiths wife, what the fuck was that?, lol. Don't think she's on the short list for the Oscars this year.

pretty sure most of the original cast took one look at the script and said nah, we good thanks.

Its doesn't matter if you've got a message or cool arty metaphor about society to get out there if your film fails on every level and it was, quite frankly, unnecessary at best and boring at worst. For a Matrix movie that's a crime against humanity itself.

Glad some people got something out of it, but Jesus please don't make anymore.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I sat there at the end wondering why they made this and then I saw the stinger at the end of the credits. It was just the creator lashing out at WB who wants an old ip to start making money again. It was a movie that wanted to be satiric, but fell short in so many ways.

Watched this last night. I feel dirty for buying it. Barely worth a rental IMO. There are so many terrible things I find it hard to write about. I'll just dot point randomness out then -
  • The audio hits and misses. Some gunfire just sounds like balloons popping.
  • The stupidity of agents, heroes and action sequences. There is so much wrong with the action logically that suspension of disbelief is broken, jumped on and dumped in the trash. You'd need a lobotomy to believe half the action shit in this movie.
  • The visuals are nowhere near the levels of iconography or interest as the original trilogy. The attempts are there but they are shallow and faked.
  • The story is passable but not "revolutionary again" as the movie even self describes. It also is far too long in the tooth throughout creating a very boring and repetitive movie.
  • Above all the "cool" factor is just not present. It feels like visiting a relative you sort of like instead of letting loose with your best friend.
  • Things are explained through conversational composition rather than being shown to the audience. There's no overlay to what is happening and why e.g. we just got access to some sentinels that can easily get Neo for us, they're our friends now. Oh machines come into the real world now, we talked about that remember.
  • The action does not deliver anything close to the choreography, set pieces or sense of danger. It's very rudimentary and predictable.
  • The flashbacks from the original are just "we have editing at home" levels of shite. WTF is this? Here's snippets of a better movie, we'll keep reminding you how much better throughout.
  • The interesting elements from the trilogy are just left out to dry e.g. matrices would have been a more interesting story than what is present here, leading on from Neo accessing machines in the real world. Other elements such a "you can always be faster than them", nope bullet time freezes you.
  • Niobe backflipping on her "believe in NEO" to "lock him up".
  • The Matrix powering up speech felt like a scene out of Monsters Inc. Perhaps they should try laughter instead for that boost mode.
  • The music wasn't as memorable, iconic or blood pumping as the trilogy, especially the OG Matrix.
  • The execution of Trinity hovering just looked straight up silly.
  • The RATG cover at the end is awful.
  • A cat video joke? Really that's the perfect metaphor for the lack of creativity with Resurrections.
If I was to sum up my feeling during watching and after the movie in one GIF -

billy-madison-we-are-all-dumber-for-having-listened-gif.gif

Watched this last night. I feel dirty for buying it. Barely worth a rental IMO. There are so many terrible things I find it hard to write about. I'll just dot point randomness out then -
  • The audio hits and misses. Some gunfire just sounds like balloons popping.
  • The stupidity of agents, heroes and action sequences. There is so much wrong with the action logically that suspension of disbelief is broken, jumped on and dumped in the trash. You'd need a lobotomy to believe half the action shit in this movie.
  • The visuals are nowhere near the levels of iconography or interest as the original trilogy. The attempts are there but they are shallow and faked.
  • The story is passable but not "revolutionary again" as the movie even self describes. It also is far too long in the tooth throughout creating a very boring and repetitive movie.
  • Above all the "cool" factor is just not present. It feels like visiting a relative you sort of like instead of letting loose with your best friend.
  • Things are explained through conversational composition rather than being shown to the audience. There's no overlay to what is happening and why e.g. we just got access to some sentinels that can easily get Neo for us, they're our friends now. Oh machines come into the real world now, we talked about that remember.
  • The action does not deliver anything close to the choreography, set pieces or sense of danger. It's very rudimentary and predictable.
  • The flashbacks from the original are just "we have editing at home" levels of shite. WTF is this? Here's snippets of a better movie, we'll keep reminding you how much better throughout.
  • The interesting elements from the trilogy are just left out to dry e.g. matrices would have been a more interesting story than what is present here, leading on from Neo accessing machines in the real world. Other elements such a "you can always be faster than them", nope bullet time freezes you.
  • Niobe backflipping on her "believe in NEO" to "lock him up".
  • The Matrix powering up speech felt like a scene out of Monsters Inc. Perhaps they should try laughter instead for that boost mode.
  • The music wasn't as memorable, iconic or blood pumping as the trilogy, especially the OG Matrix.
  • The execution of Trinity hovering just looked straight up silly.
  • The RATG cover at the end is awful.
  • A cat video joke? Really that's the perfect metaphor for the lack of creativity with Resurrections.
If I was to sum up my feeling during watching and after the movie in one GIF -

billy-madison-we-are-all-dumber-for-having-listened-gif.gif

I haven't seen it yet, but I assume these will be my general thoughts

Last edited:
I FINALLY got around to watching this over the weekend. And have to say, I didn’t hate it!

I actually really liked the parts of the story where Anderson is just a troubled video game designer with delusions / hallucinations. Those parts of the movie felt far more 'real' to me than the Matrix parts which seems so clichéd and video game'y. Probably intentionally so.

I am sure others have made the comparison by now. But it was very much Total Recall for me. Some people are going to watch this and see it as just another dumb action movie. But I think the more interesting way to watch this is to understand that the Machine world is the fiction. The boring normal world where he is a designer addicted to pills, has an annoying boss, and is seeing a shrink: is the real world. The Matrix is just a projection of himself via his video game avatar. And people who play a lot of Video games should recognize the tropes.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I FINALLY got around to watching this over the weekend. And have to say, I didn’t hate it!

I actually really liked the parts of the story where Anderson is just a troubled video game designer with delusions / hallucinations. Those parts of the movie felt far more 'real' to me than the Matrix parts which seems so clichéd and video game'y. Probably intentionally so.

I am sure others have made the comparison by now. But it was very much Total Recall for me. Some people are going to watch this and see it as just another dumb action movie. But I think the more interesting way to watch this is to understand that the Machine world is the fiction. The boring normal world where he is a designer addicted to pills, has an annoying boss, and is seeing a shrink: is the real world. The Matrix is just a projection of himself via his video game avatar. And people who play a lot of Video games should recognize the tropes.
The low confidence depressed video game designer backstory is a way to make him seem a pathetic enough man to justify the retcon that is the main plot of the movie.

Coconutt

Watched this on HBO Max and glad I didn't pay to watch this in theaters, story was complete garbage and boring, fell asleep 45 minutes into the movie. Franchise should have stayed dead and gone.
not like this GIF

UnNamed

Banned
Matrix Resurrection was so full of nothing it was basically just the end of Matrix Reloaded. And even Reloaded had fillers here and there.

Wachowsky should release a new directors cut of Reloaded+Revolution and made one film from them.

GMCamaro

The first was really fun and entertaining. The other two were lame, in my opinion. I never bothered with any of the supplemental materials or the latest one.

Top Bottom