• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My take on The Matrix Ressurections. (This thread is Spoilers made flesh)

Tschumi

A yt living in toyko had watched it days ago, and he gave it a 2 out 10.
... apparently the first 3 movies were just games made by neo, he added npcs using people of his dev. studio like discount agent smith, discount fishburne etc. Robots have a civil war, red vs blue and ....https://youtu.be/tQWCUu-tTz0
You know your spoiler was bs made up by How I Beef'd Your Sandwich, right? (I live in Nagoya for ze record, by YT are you saying I'm white? What has my ethnicity and living location have to do with what i wrote?)

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
You know your spoiler was bs made up by How I Beef'd Your Sandwich, right? (I live in Nagoya for ze record, by YT are you saying I'm white? What had my race and living location have to do with what i wrote?)
Huh? Samwich? Race? White?
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society
Tired Scarlett Johansson GIF by Focus Features
is xmas season ...
Christmas Eve Running GIF by MOODMAN

Just linked to a YT (YTer) review from 6 days ago. //confused

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I really liked it. Very self conscious. I liked how the programs acted more human this time around, vain like the social media they mimicked. I also got a huge laugh at how they poke fun at modern comic movies at the end there. The entire final five minutes or so is satire.

I'll have deeper thoughts later but it feels like a 4/5 right now

Just finished watching it….my god what a fucking soulless shit show that was

I give that they were trying to sorta parody the originals as part of the storyline but the movie felt like one soundstage moved onto the next

none of the great fight choreography of the first movies….none of the character building ….just one long shit show

the best part of that movie was Neil Patrick Harris as he played his part like a parody but the rest…..my god this is gonna get torn to shreds

and that horrible ratm cover at the end…..fuck

I will say one positive
The swarm mode and bomb mode …cool idea would of been much better in the first movies…could u imagine the freeway chase with that in it

Last edited:
Copypasta of my thoughts:

I never expected "The Matrix Resurrections" to be a good movie - and it definitely isn't! The plot and stakes are threadbare, new and retconned characters are kinda fun but ultimately unnecessary, the action is shot and choreographed in a very underwhelming way, and it has whatever hideous, artifically digital look that seems to plague every modern WB movie outside of Dune and Mad Max- like, what the fuck do those producers insist on smearing on the cameras that make everything on screen look so awful and fake?

But it's definitely a heart-felt project for Wachowski- what made me ultimately makes the movie endear to me is the theme of the love of art and craft in a cynical, corporate media landscape- it may go WAY overboard on the metaness of it all, but it's the saving grace of the movie and justifies the return to the franchise.

So, yeah, I dunno. You probably know of you're going to like it or not before you watch it. As far as member-berry cinema goes, I'll take this over what Disney is doing to Star Wars or whatever the fuck they're starting to do with Marvel.

"Resurrections" isn't a good movie, but at least it's a *MOVIE*, and not a product.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Oh boy. What a load of horseshit.

Starts off quite well with all the idiotic, batshit meta fiction stuff, but just descends into a load of nostalgia bating, ‘memberberry crap, and some of the worst action direction I’ve ever seen. Yet another boring retread sequel with no new ideas, to add to the pile.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
They didn't even bother giving both the Matrix and the real world a distinct style or color palette.

I mean, that's like Matrix 101.

The visual style of this movie is "we've seen The Matrix 20 years ago and what we vaguely remember is people with funky hair and sunglasses walking in slow motion".

The action seems to be…
Let’s setup a gunfight or fight scene….let’s then throw everyone in the movie into the frame so you cant see what the fuck is going on

the only real clean fight scene was with smith but it started off in a Batman tv series sorta way and then blended into a weak rehash of the first film

none of the clever shots….none of the Pacing ..
Revolutions is a masterpiece compared to this and it was the worst of the original trilogy

RNG

Just finished watching it, man this movie sucked. Basically 'member this? 'member that? I'd rather watch Reloaded and Revolutions over this. The first one will always remain a masterpiece to me.

Not my Smith, not my Morpheus.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
i think this movie was a lot better then the 3rd
way worse then the first,

about the same level as 2.

Agreed. Only thing I really hated was the COVID masks on the train fight and how they made the exiles into the Lost Boys from Hook and the Merovingian into Robin Williams from Jumanji.

I lIked the actual sci-fi of it. The synths and humans on the same ship and the idea of bringing a program into the real world.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Agreed. Only thing I really hated was the COVID masks on the train fight and how they made the exiles into the Lost Boys from Hook and the Merovingian into Robin Williams from Jumanji.

I lIked the actual sci-fi of it. The synths and humans on the same ship and the idea of bringing a program into the real world.
I know right?
it added cool lore. But yeah flawed.
I can see them making better one in the future. Not a shitshow imo

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think I loved the first part…. When he was confused. And the general idea is fine but a bit absurd.
it certainly didn’t feel like over 2 hours. And everything is nicely explained. But it’s still stupid and unnecessary… but I can’t say I did not very enjoyed the nostalgia trip.
I think it might’ve been brilliant… or a total joke. Not sure how I feel.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Saw it today, didn't have much hope after the trailers, but turns out it was much worse than I expected. It's one of those movies which you watch once and don't see a single reason to ever watch it again.

This movie just doesn't make any sense, the plot is simply terrible, Neo and Trinity roles are played well and that's the only good thing about the movie, there's literally not a single jaw-dropping, memorable moment/fight scene, there's barely any action to begin with, which is suppose to be THE selling point of Matrix movies.

One thing I liked tho is how they used bullet time adains Neo, such a simple yet brilliant idea by the Architect,but then again, the execution suched hard as in one shot the the Architect walks normally while everything is in slo-me, while in otheres he stutters like crazy, you can tell they lacked the budget to make it properly everytime the effect occurs, so while the idea isneat it's visually easly the movie's weakest part.

I'm finishing watching the OG Matrix on Netflix as I write this, and man, what a fucking masterpiece, not a single minute of the movie has aged, one of the greates moves of all times, sad to see that the franchise has fallen THAT low.

Last edited:
i think this movie was a lot better then the 3rd
way worse then the first,

about the same level as 2.
2 had some interesting ideas
  • The Burlyman Brawl
  • The highway chase

The zion parts were the crap part of the movie and the movie at times went to far into itself when it should of just kept it above board like they did with the first one
as soon as smith jumped into the real world is where it started to go down hill

It should of just been kept in the matrix in and in the ship....they should of just blown zion up and have them trying to survive on the outside

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They really should have just got full Wes Craven’s New Nightmare and had all the actors playing themselves in the ‘real’ world, giving the machines the perfect way to stop Neo and co. believing who they really are. Having ‘Keanu Reeves’ slowly begin to understand that one of his most famous roles was who he actually is in reality would have been a blast.

They kinda half-assed the meta aspect of the story and dropped it halfway through. Disappointing.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have so many questions, lol.

How can you take both Morpheus and Smith, arguably some of the most iconic characters of the trilogy and in cinema history in the last two decades, replace them with two completely new actors and have them behave nothing like themselves?

Both characters could've been anyone, really. There's literally no reason they had to be Morpheus and Smith, because they're not. They don't behave the same, don't talk the same, don't have the mannerisms and completely lack the screen presence or gravitas.

When "Morpheus" jazz-danced through the Construct I wanted to unplug myself IRL. And then "Smith" kept calling Neo "Tom" instead of the traditional "Mr. Anderson". I don't even understand how you botch something so trivial.

You know how in Revelations Smith infiltrates Bane's mind? And then Bane's speech, mannerisms, everything is literally Smith in another human skin.. That shit was unnerving as fuck and incredibly well done.

I just don't get it, man. This movie treats the trilogy with so much contempt and disdain it feels like a joke. First hour of this movie is basically fourth wall breaking dunking on the first movie, "look at how edgy and cringe we were back then".

Best part of this movie is budget Jeff Gerstman.

Also - not a single night club/rave, what the fuck is up with that?

There is not a single cool moment in this entire movie. Literally none.

Last edited:

lucius

I still watching it on HBO/MAX app but I can’t get to run in Dolby Vision even though it says it supports DV and Atmos, I watched many movies on this TV in Dolby Vision anyone else run into this ?

One thing I liked tho is how they used bullet time adains Neo, such a simple yet brilliant idea by the Architect,but then again, the execution suched hard as in one shot the the Architect walks normally while everything is in slo-me, while in otheres he stutters like crazy, you can tell they lacked the budget to make it properly everytime the effect occurs, so while the idea isneat it's visually easly the movie's weakest part.

That was shot with stereo cameras running at different framerates and blended in a single frame. IMO it nails that nightmare sensation that he was talking about, of needing to move faster.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Pros
I like that they adressed whatvthe Ai's were doing
I liked the social commentary and hidden messages

Cons
Felt a bit all over the place, lacked focus, its seems like it was attempting many things, some elements maybe went a bit to far.

Other thoughts

It sometimes felt like a parody trying to address every matrix pop culture and meme there is, im still confused to weather this is brilliant or they went to far.

The cameras used made it look like a tv show rather then a movie, but was this by design, after all the matrix in this is new, and the image display is a representative of this new matrix? Maybe, but if that is the case I wish they used more traditional film cameras in the real world sections.

I really dont know how I feel about this, I kinda like it.

I feel like one movie is not long enough to really explain all the plot elements it has.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Seems to be HBO max so I’ll try to watch it tonight. Was never a big fan of the movies so not expecting much.

But it's definitely a heart-felt project for Wachowski- what made me ultimately makes the movie endear to me is the theme of the love of art and craft in a cynical, corporate media landscape- "Resurrections" isn't a good movie, but at least it's a *MOVIE*, and not a product.
You'd think if they put so much 'heart' into this movie, they would produce something better than this complete turd.
The movie's atrocious overall quality speaks more volumes about artistic death in corporate Hollywood than the puddle-deep metacommentary found within it.

As it stands, It's not even a good product, even the director has nothing of substance to say about it!

Judging by the reactions here, I'm glad I didn't go see this in theaters out of boredom. I knew it wasn't going to be good, but god damn, this movie is getting brutalized. I guess I will check it out at some point on streaming services just to see how bad it is.

xandaca

I genuinely enjoyed the first third of this. Some of the ideas that were being played with, such as nostalgia/memory being its own kind of Matrix and one people willingly enter into and allow themselves to be controlled by, had a lot of potential and gave new context to the fact Neo's journey to enlightenment across the OT was complete, but he was forcibly brought back (by the machines and Warner Bros) and controlled by his devotion to the woman he remembered loving. It wasn't anything nearly as inspired as the Architect (yes, I like the Architect) flipping the entire 'One' narrative around at the end of Reloaded, but it had enough behind it to justify a new movie. Unfortunately, the movie ended up doing nothing with those ideas, kept feeding off nostalgia without recontextualising it, and reintroducing old characters with no justification or consistency with how they previously behaved. The Merovingian turns up looking bedraggled and his entire role is to shout nonsense over a fight scene, then leave. Ostensibly he's showing how powerful programs escaped the purge of the previous Matrix into Neo's (which I feel I don't quite understand), but Smith was already there for that, and bringing the Exiles with him just added bodies into a scene which would have been stronger to focus exclusively on Neo vs Smith standing off again, even if that, too, ultimately contributed nothing (and Smith is nothing like old Smith, and there's no apparent reason for him still to exist).

It was all in pieces by the time it got to Neo drawing his power from Trinity, which makes a tenuous sort of sense on the surface - Neo's ability to break from the One's path was always predicated on his unique love for Trinity - but seemingly forgets what the function of the 'One' was in the previous films, as is also the case in suggesting that the One is somehow tied to how the machines draw power from humans (rather than just giving the most independent and rebellious human minds an outlet through which they can be released in a controlled manner without destabilising the system as a whole). I like the entire original trilogy, if sometimes more in concept than execution, and really wanted to like this, but the longer it went on, the more it felt like a meandering, tiresome mess. The editing was also terrible for the action scenes: the great thing about the OT is how the action scenes and actors were so well choreographed and trained that the Wachowskis could let their camera just watch the performers do their thing - The Chateau fight scene might be my favourite action scene of the noughties for that very reason - rather than having to constantly cut around bad technique and staging as is often the case in Hollywood fight scenes. Resurrections had non-stop cutting during the action, and it was frankly depressing: I suspect it might have been because a lot of fight scenes involved multiple protagonists fighting off a crowd, another terrible idea.

Anyway, TLDR, I really, really wanted to like this and it introduced ideas in the first half to at the very least justify its existence in a series which did not need and had no narrative space for another entry. Unfortunately, it did nothing with those ideas and ended up a complete shambles. Wachowski movies are always at least interesting on some level because their ideas and philosophies are so vivid, if absurd at least as often as brilliant, but even on that score, this felt very much like Lana putting something together with no great passion, driven more by a studio ultimatum (as suggested in the movie itself, amusingly) than a need to tell this story and a vision behind it. Having so many of the Sense8 cast showing up was quite amusing, though, if distracting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom