• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My take on The Matrix Ressurections. (This thread is Spoilers made flesh)

Majukun

there is a pandemic of curmudgeons. i swear some people -want- to be miserable. i liked this movie, they knew they couldn’t top the first one so they went in another direction. it feels like two movies in one sometimes. i give them credit for going perpendicular instead of parallel. it’s more a movie about the matrix movies and less a matrix movie itself.
I was compleely fine with them going into another direction, and after the trailer i was convinced that is what they were going to do, and my fear was that they took it too far, going too meta, to abstaract, too strange.

in the end the movie suffered instead not from having too many ideas, but from having too few..he has some interesting points that doesn't explore near enough, and the rest is a boring story and boring action

y'all telling me they had one job and they fuck it up :( ?
yup

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Just set sails to international waters to have a watch myself.

It's a bizarre film.
I won't say that the story is terrible. Like I few other have said, First quarter/half is interesting and was an entertaining take. Later half is dull.
The film has absolutely no style or character to it. It's just really flat the entire way through.
No real breathing room to take in what was going on. In the first film you would get scenes with the Oracle with a load of explanation or riddles. But the film would be paced for you to contemplate it a little before the next event happens.
Cinematography is wank.
Action is pointless. A fucking Matrix film with no good fight choreography. If you're wanting to see this film for the martial arts then I recommend you don't.
Didn't really get chance to see or learn about the new characters. I remember one being called Bug? I couldn't describe them if I had a gun to my head.

I remember scenes/ moments from the trilogy that always stayed with me.
1st- Trinity bullet time kick at the start of the film. Loads of bits actually.
2nd- Neo fighting randoms in the manor. Smiths fight in the park.
3rd- Smith punch to Neos face.

I'm not a fan of the 2nd or 3rd films but at least I can remember them. Their was nothing to take from this film as someone who just enjoys cinema. If someone told me this was actually a fan project, I would believe them.
I'd defiantly give it a watch if your a fan of the Matrix but i doubt many people will walk away with an interesting discussion about it after.

That credits remix......Put a bullet in my head plz.

I will say there is one scene in the movie that I actually enjoyed a lot. Well, it's just one part of a scene really. When the Matrix starts literally throwing NPCs at Neo. I laughed so hard when the first one jumped out the window as his wife screamed in horror. It's so ridiculous I couldn't help but love that moment.

Too bad it's only 20 seconds of a 2 and a half hour film...

Griffon

OK, I can read between the lines on that one.

Is it at least worth seeing in the theater due to phenomenal stunts and action? Otherwise I'm watch it at home on HBO.
The action was pretty bad. The camera is all over the place trying to hide the bad choreography. You never have clear and clean shots. This is no Matrix, and even less John Wick.

This film was so pitiful, and they had to use a metric fuckton of B-rolls from the old movies.

The only relevant part of it all is how the movie downright spells out that warner bros wanted a sequel not matter if Washowsky wanted to work on it or not.
The whole movie feels cheap and rushed out for a quick paycheck.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Even though i hated the film, i'm still a fan of the orig trilogy, and i take no comfort from this as this certainly spells the end of the franchise.

Depends on how many HBO Max subscribers were pulled in. That’s where these companies are looking for returns these days. HBO Max has well in excess of 70 million subscribers now, at over ten bucks a month. If Resurrections adds a few more million, they won’t care that much about box office receipts.

If you weren't sure the movie is just one big parody, the ending credit song closes the case.

My god, just when I thought the cringe couldn't get any stronger, they started playing that godawful cover.
...and then came the post credit scene... the f*cking Catrix, really?!

dead-shoot-myself.gif

My god, just when I thought the cringe couldn't get any stronger, they started playing that godawful cover.
...and then came the post credit scene... the f*cking Catrix, really?!

dead-shoot-myself.gif

The braindead NPCs at Warner Bros whose job is to trivialize all that is good in the world continuing their routine of throwing shit at the wall after Matrix 4? Baudrillard would be proud to come up with that gag.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Honestly? Easily better than Revolutions. Maybe on a par with Reloaded. The Wake Up cover at the end didn’t leave the best taste in my mouth, but as far as what they could do with where 3 left off and starting a new trilogy? It was fine.

The original just can’t be topped and if you’re not expecting anything to do that, then it’s fine. Looked fantastic in Dolby vision

Outlier

Just got home from watching it. I think this is all intentional to prevent a sequel.

I don't like the movie, but i also don't hate it.

Pros:

Only three of us in the theater and the one other guy walked out and never came back, 25% in.

The entire movie seems to bordering on parody of the series lore, scene/action directing, and films in general.

Cons:

Pretty much the fact that I was seeing all of the above, as they were happening.

The movie is a small scaled commentary on the movies and society. I like it for that, but I disliked that this was the experience I got.

I'm just so mixed on it. I think it's telling the audience that it wants to be left alone.

skneogaf

I don't mind where the film ends up but there were definitely yikes moments throughout three quarters of the movie.

SegaShack

I thought the movie was great and was super clever. I loved the way the story was set up too. It felt like a smart way to actually expand a story instead of doing a hollywood retread.

Saw Spiderman last week and it was like a bad SNL sketch full of jokes the whole time. Matrix actually takes very big risks and chances.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Way to butcher the legacy of one of the best movies ever made. I wonder if it was intentional?
How did it butcher the legacy?

I'm not seeing a single person on here explain anything. I can go straight into detail everything wrong about tlj with ease. Yet nobody here can say why this was bad.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm not seeing a single person on here explain anything. I can go straight into detail everything wrong about tlj with ease. Yet nobody here can say why this was bad.
For me, they clearly didn't know if this was a reboot or a sequel, so they made both, but no vision where to go or what to say.

I'm not even going into details about how how the world building is just atrocious and all the self/meta references added in for no reason at all, often feeling like it was a parody of itself. Lana Wachowski was again way too much worried about saying things about the real world then to make a good story. Way too much cheap virtue signaling instead of writing layered characters.

I do need another re-watch or two before coming to final conclusion, but this movie left a bitter taste in my mouth.

bitter-beer-face-gif-keystone-light-lager-beer-commercial.gif

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

For me, they clearly didn't know if this was a reboot or a sequel, so they made both, but no vision where to go or what to say.

I'm not even going into details about how how the world building is just atrocious and all the self/meta references added in for no reason at all, often feeling like it was a parody of itself. Lana Wachowski was again way too much worried about saying things about the real world then to make a good story. Way too much cheap virtue signaling instead of writing layered characters.

I do need another re-watch or two before coming to final conclusion, but this movie left a bitter taste in my mouth.

bitter-beer-face-gif-keystone-light-lager-beer-commercial.gif
I like how you made us think you actually were gonna say something but immediately resorted to even openly admitting that you're not going to

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Basically this movie is a mess in tone, no style whatsoever, no story that make sense or has anything to say, sound design is just shit, characters are worthless (only ok one is Bugs). This is Fifty Shades of grey level bad, but that one at least is sexy, but Matrix Resurrections is just sad and a complete waste of 2h - 30min.

3/10 , would watch again.

Cleared_Hot

Basically this movie is a mess in tone, no style whatsoever, no story that make sense or has anything to say, sound design is just shit, characters are worthless (only ok one is Bugs). This is Fifty Shades of grey level bad, but that one at least is sexy, but Matrix Resurrections is just sad and a complete waste of 2h - 30min.

3/10 , would watch again.
And nobody wanting to understand why it'd bad is going to be satisfied by your review. And you said it has nothing to say making me feel like you didn't even watch it

SJRB

Gold Member
When Neo meets Morpheus in the toilet stall and Neo says "this can't be real", how the FUCK do they not have Morpheus say "What is real? How do you define 'real'?"

No let's have budget Morpheus dunk on legend Morpheus for his sense of drama and giggle like a bitch after saying "at laaaast" three times.

SoQPz9L.png

Zero hits by the SWAT guy, lmao.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
And nobody wanting to understand why it'd bad is going to be satisfied by your review. And you said it has nothing to say making me feel like you didn't even watch it
I'm going by what the movies have shown and if others wish to see it differently, that's fine too. Backing it up with "This is now what the director says" isn't going to fly with me because they have contradicted themselves enough on the IP over time and even if you pay attention to the movies that came before you see it undermined.

I wished we had a small reset and a fresh springboard for a new trilogy with fresh ideas and action, but this unfortunately was a woeful showing. Just imagine if the Merovingian showed up as an antagonist again and not just some rot tooth hobo shouting incomprehensible nonsense.

I'm happy for those that enjoyed it and see it in a different light. I just wish they had fleshed out things. One second Neo can't fly and he's then suddenly flying again without issue as part of the new Dynamic Duo.

Am I understanding right that the Doctor/Analyst program persuaded the robot overlords from the 3rd film that he's the better architect than the Architect, with nothing to back that up, but because hes got Neo's body he had some sort of leverage? Then the Analyst purged loads of old programs that didn't suit his purpose for his new Matrix. Except for the Mirv hobo and his minions for some reason? Who fail in fights against "normal" redpill takers? What happened to everyone but The One running from agents and these hunter/bodyguard programs of old?
I was hoping for so much more.
And the post credit scene....🤢

SiteSeer

How did it butcher the legacy?

i guess people expected something like matrix 1. but let’s get real, keanu and carrie-ann are in their 50s. they’re not gonna jump around and do choreography for 20 or 30 year olds. i’m glad they took a risk and went off the reservation so to speak. they tried something different, they can’t reinvent bullet-time so they went after the story telling instead and made it a meta-narrative about itself. it wasn’t a great movie but it’s not as bad as some people make it out to be. just my 2c.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What does one have to do with the other? They’re making Dune 2
It's not complicated. Rather than pay for dune part 2 right after/during p1, they instead chose to throw 100+ mill at this instead.

Think about it, with the year or so dune pt1 delay would could have had dune pt2 RIGHT NOW instead of Matrix 4.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It's not complicated. Rather than pay for dune part 2 right after/during p1, they instead chose to throw 100+ mill at this instead.

Think about it, with the year or so dune pt1 delay would could have had dune pt2 RIGHT NOW instead of Matrix 4.

No, I still don’t see the connection between two totally separate franchises. If they were waiting to see how Dune was received to green light part 2, what does a Matrix movie have to do with that?

I mean I suppose it’s possible they were somehow linked but it seems like unadulterated conjecture. It seems like Dune part 2 hinged on part 1’s success as it was green lit a month before The Matrix came out

Am I understanding right that the Doctor/Analyst program persuaded the robot overlords from the 3rd film that he's the better architect than the Architect, with nothing to back that up, but because hes got Neo's body he had some sort of leverage?

After the Revolutions truce, the Analyst worked hard and figured out a way to maximise the energy output of the remaining bluepills. This is done by fine tuning the nightmarish social media landscape with the help of bots and trivial media that nudge people towards their worst excesses, while also tormenting them at night. The bots saturate the world so 1. it's not as empty as the power plant would indicate and 2. batteries are not wasted when an Agent jumps from person to person. The Analyst's Matrixes incorporate the anomaly that is Neo instead of rejecting it like the Architect's. Trinity is essential for the control of the anomaly (fits right in with the ending choice of Reloaded).

Just imagine if the Merovingian showed up as an antagonist again and not just some rot tooth hobo shouting incomprehensible nonsense.

He was a trafficker of information. The current Matrix makes obtaining information trivial, so he's useless and couldn't adapt. He's probably more right than he knows when he blames Neo for coming up with modern methods of communication and interaction, since Neo is directly contributing to parts of the Matrix.

So, in this new Matrix the original trilogy is a videogame. Yet every time they show the "game" it's just scenes from the old movies. They never show gameplay or what kind of game it is. We just know that it was "mindblowing" and a huge success. Was it a FMV game?

I know this is nitpicking. But it bothered me a lot. I think the original matrix being a book or even, why not, movies would've been better.

Tschumi

If you weren't sure the movie is just one big parody, the ending credit song closes the case.

i actually thought she did a good enough job of delivering the lyrics, it was just undermined by the (favourite tschumi word) eszats nature of the whole setup, and the fact that they either didn't have the rights or didn't have the credit time to fit in the music instrumentals.

I mean the OG wake up was pretty chopped up too, but at least it had all the instrumentation

So, in this new Matrix the original trilogy is a videogame. Yet every time they show the "game" it's just scenes from the old movies. They never show gameplay or what kind of game it is. We just know that it was "mindblowing" and a huge success. Was it a FMV game?

I know this is nitpicking. But it bothered me a lot. I think the original matrix being a book or even, why not, movies would've been better.
where'd u get that from?

it's not a game, that's just the narrative blondie from how i boned your beaver made up to confuse neo

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I did not enjoy this film lol

Good lord, the writing. Forget getting hit over the head, this film tried to bludgeon me to death. So many lines had me rolling my eyes.
This film lacks all the grace and stylish confidence of the original film, and arguably the rest of the original trilogy. The random comedic beats were rather awkward.
The action was mostly serviceable, but there was zero tension throughout any of the action sequences. A few scenes were kind of goofy even.

Some of the performances were outright laughable. Jada Pinkett Smith in aged makeup with that old lady voice, what the hell was that? lol
Neil Patrick Harris as the antagonist just didn't work here imo. I couldn't take him seriously as a threat whatsoever. The characterization here was rather lame compared to the Architect.

Agent Smith was such a non-factor and completely out of character, he came off as more smarmy than menacing.
Not having Hugo Weaving reprise his role was a mistake imo. I did not enjoy the characterization of his replacement.

Discount Morpheus was terrible, and the constant call backs in the form of B-roll only reaffirmed that.
Dude didn't hold a candle to the screen presence Lawrence Fishburne commanded in those films.

Speaking of those sporadic callbacks using b-roll from the original trilogy. They used it so often it came off as cheap and navel gazing.
'I know you're trying to watch this film, but wouldn't you much rather watch these older, better films?'

In a way, I can sort of appreciate what they were attempting with the meta-narratives and whatnot, but it was all so sloppy. No grace, no edge, and none of that stylish confidence of the first film.
I already had low expectations going in, as I never saw the point of even making another Matrix film, and I feel vindicated for the most part, but also still disappointed tbh.
Unlike the first film and the Animatrix, I don't have much interest in rewatching Resurrections.

Last edited:

Mohonky

So for the first 40min or so I was like really, people didn't like this movie?

Then as it went on it, from the point of trying to get Trinity back, it just went downhill in a big way.

I really don't understand some of the character choices. Agent Smith was basically a slap in the face to Hugo Weaving. He absolutely owned that role of Smith and the new Smith is......I can't even begin to describe him. It very much seemed like a joke character.

Then there's the Analyst. So at one point he can slow down time to prevent Neo from doing anything and seems unstoppable, except for when he can't with Smith for some reason, then he can't with Neo and Trinity either.....for reasons.

Of course then there is the whole Neo and Trinity thing. So the pair of them together become....super man and woman? I dunno, it's just so fucking corny. In the Matrix they just become gods for whatever reason.

The actual story was going really really well; I thought it was interesting the way it was leaning into this civil war between the machines, some sentients defecting to humans, the way we were seemingly going to get a lot more about the real, machine world conflict and what was happening but then the it's like they said nope, sorry, and after that we went straight back into the Matrix for 1.5hrs of complete nonsensical cheese.

The whole movie feels like 2 distinct parts that isn't sure if it's a parody, super hero movie or philosophical drama.

I was left thinking 'man....how did they stuff that up?' and then the Rage Against the Machine cover started and I was like....no.....fucking....way. Urgh

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This post contain spoilers:

I can't believe this is happening. Matrix is dead, and the coup de grace comes from one of the two original directors.

It lacks scale, grandeur, iconic scenes, phrases that make you think and the fights are not impressive at all.
The movie spend an hour telling you that sequels/reboot sucks, that this is a bad idea and then does exactly what it criticizes, WTF?!?

You can find one or two good ideas, but they are completely drown into the rest of the movie.
Morpheus saying "At laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast" 50 times was annoying, in fact it's almost like they wanted to disrespect his character.
Io is a joke, apart from a few large shot the city feels empty, we never see a big crowd of people celebrating his arrival or... idk, but SOMETHING! I mean look at THAT!!
Also fuck Niobe, you should be on your knees in front of Neo, not acting like a little bitch.

When and how does Smith and Neo made an arrangement?? Why Smith is agreeing?? *it's magic, shut up* is the answer. THIS is Smith, he would NEVER compromise.
It's sad because the first third is not bad, but then everything falls apart.

And ManaByte ManaByte you said Trinity wasn't the one at the end of Matrix 4 but you clearly got it wrong, what happened? Was the ending edited on early screening?
Legit question as the other stuff I quickly read on your posts - I didn't want to spoil the movie - was right.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
They fucked it up. There is no way around it. The entire movie felt forced and the lack of fight scenes, or long shots during action scenes in general, sucked.
The flying manta robot got on my nerves. They looked too clean when in the real world and Nyobi was so cringe. I don't like the reasons for the lack of Smith or Morpheus, they are iconic roles at this point. Bargain Bin Smith & Morpheus can't even exist in the same atmosphere as the originals.

I really wanted to like this one, but I can't. The only thing I even cared about was when Trinity and Neo basically reunited. It was a little nostalgic. Also, the lack of access points

I felt the machines giving this "Analyst" a shot of doing it's own Matrix... was very shallow and not well thought-out... The reason for Smith being there was also fucking paper thin... To keep an eye on Neo?? My sister myself and my GF all watched this, they fell asleep, I watched till the end. Let that shit sink in. ( I wanted to see it from start to finish, no matter what)

Edit: KyoZz KyoZz
Trinity isn't the one, she appears to be one PART of the One, so he wasn't wrong or right, imo. Heck, we could both be wrong, but that's my take.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

I think what's most disappointing about this film is that the concept is really interesting, it just failed to deliver on that in any way. Can you imagine if Denis Villenueve had directed this film? Fuck.

UncleMeat

Just finished it; pretty boring and stupid. The action and kung fu were terrible and the cgi looked tacky. Can't really say much else that hasn't already been said.

The RATM cover compared to the original is a pretty good analogy for this film and the original.

Also, self aware programs or redpills can self project their chosen image of themselves inside the matrix, so HoboMerv and homeless Minions have decided to look that way and play those characters 🤔 what a load of bollocks 😂

Top Bottom