• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My take on The Matrix Ressurections. (This thread is Spoilers made flesh)

Doczu

I don't like replying with quoting but just as a general thing can we critique something more interesting than mask politics? Ty brohanZ
With how meta and shit the movie is we can start talking about mask politics and somehow connect it to the movie and it will be a better and more in depth conversation than about anything this 2.5h piece of turd was.

Last edited:

Tschumi

With how meta and shit the movie is we can start talking about mask politics and somehow connect it to the movie and it will be a better and more in depth conversation than about anything this 2.5h piece of turd was.
if u can actually do that, and actually make connections without jerking off on politicised don't-think-for-yourself twitter catchphrases, then u might be right... i think anti maskers are [redacted] so i'd rather my thread not become home to their hooting

anyway masks are unambiguous and not political, so that's why they're just in the film, because they're a reality of today.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
i wonder why WB agreed to go ahead with this. i mean it's cool of them that they asked the original creators if they have an idea for a sequel but as soon as they read the script they should have aborted the mission and give it to someone else. now they ruined an IP with an amazing potential for more movies and games. well done WB.
Was it actually a case of “we want the money, you can help steer it or we can go ahead without you…”? I mean, the Wachowskis were so into it they could get only one of the two to commit to it.

Thaedolus

Honestly I think the worst offense is they made Trinity use her womyn powers of true love’s kiss to revive Neo after he fails and dies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I didn't like previous sequels and I heard so much crap about this one, from its cinematography to the choreography and story, I thought I would hate it. It's not so profound or thought provoking but I don't get the hate it gets (but keep frothing folks, it's funny to watch), it's good and fun. Maybe it needed to be longer than one movie to better explain and pace some stuff is all. Up until it rushes to the end or maybe shows a little lack of purpose (like maybe they should have hinted they know of Trinity's importance to the whole The One deal beyond just being Neo's love before having a crew so eager to go on a suicide mission for her moments after saying it's impossible and explain the current machine factions/man dynamics better to show why it even matters, why they even have to go in The Matrix at all again, if they are among the people who want to live in real life instead and are allowed to do so) there's little there to even dislike and a lot to fangasm over in a good way similar to MGS2. I like how self aware it is in the first half and think the action scenes are great as they are and it's a good thing they didn't just retread bullet time and cryptic oracles to show most of it in full speed and full view. It's ace. I like the resemblance to Dark City's plot when it comes to Tiffany as well, that is one of my favorite movies ever and this doesn't feel like a cheap knock off (well, like The Matrix didn't feel like a Dark City knock off either despite the very very similar themes etc.).

Edit: I didn't even realize it was Doogie Howser M.D. playing the villain, I thought the actor just looked a bit like him but his delivery and everything was spot on to the point I didn't ever assume it was him, I guess the guy has better range than I gave him credit for, he plays the part just as he should.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I've read some people saying that the Analyst was a comic relief character, which kinda boggles my mind because I didn't interpret it that way but can 100% see what they mean, not in the least because of the casting of NPH.

So what's your take on the Analyst?

Denton

This film sure is divisive, huh. Just like the sequels. Personally, I went in the cinema fully expecting to be served another trash shitting all over the original films, like I got with Terminator DF, Last Jedi, Prometheuses or Witcherflix.

And yet...and yet it was actually pretty inventive yet respectful sequel. Yes the action was nowhere near as well shot. But narratively, it worked really well for me. It was a metanarrative on the previous films, filmmaking in general, our current world, it was a love story, heist movie, and a bonafide sequel to Revolutions that shows what happened after. It was great.

That said, I really think it strongly beneffited from cinema's big screen and enhanced atmosphere. I rewatched the beginning at home later and it loses some of its magic when on TV.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I've read some people saying that the Analyst was a comic relief character, which kinda boggles my mind because I didn't interpret it that way but can 100% see what they mean, not in the least because of the casting of NPH.

it's in my OP.

Hate him.

And I think people are being wilful when they try to say this is satirical... I think it was wry and winking but how i stoned your crow actor was not satire.

Doczu

So, extra thoughts after another day of thinking.

- new Morpheus is a joke and his behaviour in belittling every iconic scene with og Morpheus is just weak and borderline insulting the fanbase

- Smith shouldn't exist. He has been destroyed by the machines through Neo and them keeping him alive would be the most idiotic thing to do. Was it explained how he survived?

- New Smith is an insult to OG Smith, with how he talks about himself and how he calls Neo "Tom"

- the Analyst is a good concept, but he fails in execution. Sorry, but NPH was not a good cast.

- the idea of "stealing" Neo's body and pluging him back in to the Matrix would be contradictionary to the peace "treaty" Neo made with the machines. Finding out he still lives in the Matrix would surely make things go south.

- this really looks like an attempt to de-value the IP so much thst WB stops thinking about sewuels.

Last edited:

Tschumi

- the idea of "stealing" Neo's body and pluging him back in to the Matrix would be contradictionary to the peace "treaty" Neo made with the machines. Finding out he still lives in the Matrix would surely make things go south.
i was TOTALLy thinking this for the first half of the film

i was like 'Neo is reluctant because part of him knows that leaving this matrix could be breaking the treaty with the machines' or something, i thought that the ship crew were callous rebels and i genuinely thought that would be like half of the plot lol,.....

but NOOOOOOOOOOOO how i humped your otter just... well it's all in my OP

Kenpachii

Finished it, fast forwarded it in some fight scenes

Movie is unwatchable
- Absolute dog shit acting and cast at the start of the movie, hard to get through it
- Movie feels nothing like the old matrix movies, nobody had chemistry in the movie even for a second. The only actors in the movie that where good where the old actors and those come in way to late in my opinion and are simple to old.
- Fight scenes where terrible, honestly no soul at all.
- New Morpheus was dog shit, what a absolute joke of a character assassination.
- Story is dull boring and overstays, at no point in time do you feel like u care.
- Outfits are ridicilous nothing like the sleek designs and actually designs that make sense as the older movies had. This just feels like some cosplay event.
- Movie has no soul in general, specially the "lets make matrix 4 shit at the start was just absolutely mindboggling bad".
- Neo is practically useless, does nothing in the movie, same goes for trinity.
- Smith actor was dog shit, steroid agents where dog shit.
- Story is a hot pile of dog shit.

I can go on for a while, its just that bad, what a colossal waste of time and disappointment from start to end.

1/5, its as bad as the ghostbuster 2016 movie.

I constantly wanted to just stop the movie, its that interesting. but i forced myself through the garbage but even then i had to fast forwards it at 2x speed in fight scenes because they where just that bad.

Honestly i already had this feeling for longer with movies in general, it almost feels like movie industry is devolving and are simple not capable to make good movies anymore.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
So, extra thoughts after another day of thinking.

- new Morpheus is a joke and his behaviour in belittling every iconic scene with og Morpheus is just weak and borderline insulting the fanbase

- Smith shouldn't exist. He has been destroyed by the machines through Neo and them keeping him alive would be the most idiotic thing to do. Was it explained how he survived?

- New Smith is an insult to OG Smith, with how he talks about himself and how he calls Neo "Tom"

- the Analyst is a good concept, but he fails in execution. Sorry, but NPH was not a good cast.

- this really looks like an attempt to de-value the IP so much thst WB stops thinking about sewuels.

What is the deal with the machines suddenly fighting against each other causing another war, anyway? The movie takes 80 minutes to reach that core explanation of what is even happening and spends one, ONE line on it and that's there suddenly was limited energy so a part of the machines disagreed and seperated? You know, as if the machines acted on emotions?

Which is just the dumbest thing if you think about it. You're telling me a machine hivemind, 100+ year after Artificial General Intelligence is created, a cognitive force so vast and so far beyond the reaches of human intellect and understanding it supercedes any human brain by several orders of magnitute, the most intelligent being in the universe, and suddenly this hivemind gets into a hissifit with itself?

It's just the laziest way to create another conflict.

Halcyon

Might be the worst movie I've ever watched. Everything I hate about new cinema remakes. Makes Rise of Skywalker or whatever look like a decent movie. Feels like I'm watching mental illness in movie form.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
i actually thought she did a good enough job of delivering the lyrics, it was just undermined by the (favourite tschumi word) eszats nature of the whole setup, and the fact that they either didn't have the rights or didn't have the credit time to fit in the music instrumentals.

I assume your favorite world is actuall erszats?

it's not a game, that's just the narrative blondie from how i boned your beaver made up to confuse neo

In the new Matrix, the old Matrix is contained as a game.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Christ. Keanu and Moss still have no chemistry after 20 years. That and they look like siblings. Did a single person die? Besides the divebomb npcs anyway.

Vestal

Gold Member
Such a frustrating movie to watch..

The good:
The story: Really liked the mind fuck they were going for. The way it was weaved it is made for a good movie.. Just not this one :/
Casting: I thought the casting was pretty good, and returning characters worked well.

The bad:
Pacing: Movie felt slow as molasses at times, and the "big finish" was anything but that. It felt that they were trying to recapture the magic of the original Matrix, but ended up with a big wet fart.
Acting: Acting was all over the place and at times just wooden. The need to create dialog with inanimate objects made for some really bad sequences.. Keanu felt out of place in a lot of those instances.

The ugly:

Cinematography.. WHAT A TRAIN WRECK. The movie felt cheap as hell visually. The lack of "green effect" made this like any other dull action popcorn flick. I guess the green helped give the Matrix world a feel of something different.
Lighting: Horrible lighting, especially during fight scenes.
Fight Choreography: Fights felt slow, and lacked the OOMMMPPPHHH you felt in the original films. Moving most of the combat to just hand to hand, instead of using weapons was really detrimental to the overall feel and pacing of fights.

The unforgivable
Lack of slowdown/speedup during fight scenes.. One of the things that made the Matrix fight scenes and action scenes stand out was the use of Slowmo/Speedup during the movies to differentiate the Agents/Neo/Scions from the rest of the population.. Looking at the fights and all those punches and kicks being so slow... UGH what a waste

End of the day.. You didn't feel the rekindling of Neo/Trinity's power. You didn't have that moment like in the original where everything just clicked for Neo. The moment we got, felt underwhelming.

All in all, I am willing to give a possible sequel a chance.. But they need a new director, and they need to rethink the entire way this movie was shot.

JayK47

Overall I thought it was decent. I felt it left with a better ending than the 3rd movie. I think Carrie Anne Moss still looks amazing for her age and better than Keanu Reeves. I always thought she was sexy and a great Trinity. I did not notice them trying to hide anything with her body. She was no pregnant Wonder Woman or anything. I liked the parts with Neil Patrick Harris. He is a great actor and made the movie better in my opinion. The movie is no more necessary than the 2nd and 3rd movies and since they botched the landing, this movie softens the blow. I wish this was made before COVID so we would not see any idiots in masks. There are some things I thought were dumb, like the masks, the shit Rage Against the Machine cover, and the poor action scenes. I hated the CGI in the 2nd and 3rd movie and pretty much every scene in every movie with CGI. The original movie was great because the action scenes used sets, proper guns with blanks, actual debris flying around, actual contact during fights, etc. There were a few scenes in this movie where you could tell they added the mussle flash with CGI after the fact and it looks so fake. Looks more like kids playing with guns and arguing over who shot who since there is nothing but their imagination for effects.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I actually liked the movie, but mostly because I expected nothing and felt like it was "pretty good" (not great). Everyone in here complaining about masks being worn in the movie but I don't think my brain even registered it because that's just how my life has been personally for the last two years, 8+ hours a day.

The only thing that really bothered me was the casting of Smith. This movie, and especially the scenes with him in it, would have had a lot more gravity with Hugo Weaving. Without him, they should have just left the Smith character out completely.

Also it was weird that Christina Ricci got top billing in this and she was literally only in one scene and had I think a single line of dialog.

SiteSeer

just a random tidbit but the wachowskis are affirmed kubrick fans and they name dropped kubrick’s first film ‘fear and desire’. that is all.

trikster40

Just finished watching it. Was it a bad movie? No, nowhere near as bad as some reviews would lead you to believe. Did it need to be made? Nope, not at all. It does absolutely nothing for the franchise. No point at all other than, ooh lol, it doesn’t have to be us or them, it can be us AND them.

Solid 5/10, middle of the road, put it in my watched column, type of movie.

LoneWolf&Subs

Neo Member
This movie felt like a possible 90’s “Matrix: The Animated Series”. Even right down to the machine buddies.

Oh, and I did not like it whatsoever. I don’t know who was truly responsible for the original Matrix, but it’s clear the Wachowski’s were guided a lot by the assistant directing team on their ambitious film.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Holy shit.

There's a guy wearing an N95 Matrix mask IN THE MOVIE.

Thanks for saving me $15.00.

Snowflake much?

Also you are probably smart, because that movie. I am currently watching it and holy shit, is this some sort of parody of Matrix movies. Feels like some romantic comedy...

Majukun

it ends up being comic relief but definitely it's not what it was from the begnnng of the move, in fact the first part pf the movie hypes it up as some kind of all powerful entity NEO is not "ready for"..but ends up doing very little of actually manacing

Majukun

What is the deal with the machines suddenly fighting against each other causing another war, anyway? The movie takes 80 minutes to reach that core explanation of what is even happening and spends one, ONE line on it and that's there suddenly was limited energy so a part of the machines disagreed and seperated? You know, as if the machines acted on emotions?

Which is just the dumbest thing if you think about it. You're telling me a machine hivemind, 100+ year after Artificial General Intelligence is created, a cognitive force so vast and so far beyond the reaches of human intellect and understanding it supercedes any human brain by several orders of magnitute, the most intelligent being in the universe, and suddenly this hivemind gets into a hissifit with itself?

It's just the laziest way to create another conflict.
as far as i understand, it's NEO's little revolution that made so that some machnes became more sentient.
It's not that outrageos of a development when in the trilogy fucking programs had emotions.

the issue is that it's nowhere explored enough..like you said one line and t's over...

and the worst part is that the motivation for the main bad guy is just money, and the motivation for neo is just "love"..they straight up went for lowest common denominator shit..no more fighting for humanity and deep philosophical question..just a guy that want to make a mint and neo that wants his waifu back

Tschumi

as far as i understand, it's NEO's little revolution that made so that some machnes became more sentient.
It's not that outrageos of a development when in the trilogy fucking programs had emotions.

the issue is that it's nowhere explored enough..like you said one line and t's over...

and the worst part is that the motivation for the main bad guy is just money, and the motivation for neo is just "love"..they straight up went for lowest common denominator shit..no more fighting for humanity and deep philosophical question..just a guy that want to make a mint and neo that wants his waifu back
I think the machine civil war came about because of resource scarcity

Diddy X

From the trailers you can tell it's shit, i'm gonna watch it anyways, I'm curious.

15 min in, wtf is this? feels like one of those youtube movies, everything is terrible, why did they make this???? Not even by reading reviEws I expected something this bad lol, I don't even want to keep watching, so bad.

Last edited:

Jsisto

It was fine. Not the greatest ever, but I enjoyed it. A perfectly decent movie. I feel like everyone just looks for a reason to hate things nowadays. It feels like a speedrun competition to see who can stop watching it fastest. Cmon Now. It’s a two and a half hour movie. Yea you may end up hating it by the end, but people giving up on it after 15 minutes when next to nothing has happened yet plotwise says it all.

Edit: A far better sequel than Rise of Skywalker!

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
it ends up being comic relief but definitely it's not what it was from the begnnng of the move, in fact the first part pf the movie hypes it up as some kind of all powerful entity NEO is not "ready for"..but ends up doing very little of actually manacing

Neo as he was, full of self doubt and without a mastery of any of his old abilities, definitely was not a match for The Analyst. It was only after reconnecting with Trinity that he was able to slowly get back to his full potential, with Trinity reaching hers for the first time. THAT'S when The Analyst became a joke. But he was very much holding all of the cards until that point.

Diddy X

It was fine. Not the greatest ever, but I enjoyed it. A perfectly decent movie. I feel like everyone just looks for a reason to hate things nowadays. It feels like a speedrun competition to see who can stop watching it fastest. Cmon Now. It’s a two and a half hour movie. Yea you may end up hating it by the end, but people giving up on it after 15 minutes when next to nothing has happened yet plotwise says it all.

Edit: A far better sequel than Rise of Skywalker!

After only 15 minutes I can already see there was something wrong with the production of this movie, maybe low budget or it was rushed idk, it's evident in every shot you can see the low quality, the dialogue and acting are BAD, it seems like a parody at times.

I know I'll get the "haters gona hate" reply and I respect if you liked it but I see pretty clear there is something wrong with this movie, we're gonna eventually get to know.

Jsisto

After only 15 minutes I can already see there was something wrong with the production of this movie, maybe low budget or it was rushed idk, it's evident in every shot you can see the low quality, the dialogue and acting are BAD, it seems like a parody at times.

I know I'll get the "haters gona hate" reply and I respect if you liked it but I see pretty clear there is something wrong with this movie, we're gonna eventually get to know.
Im sure there were some issues with production, no doubt. Like I said, I didn’t love the movie, and certainly had some issues with it. The new Smith was pretty bad, and while I think certain machines defecting to help the humans is a good idea, they way they were depicted(kinda cuddly versions of machines?) was really unnecessary. I just feel like with most things on the internet, legitimate criticisms get overly exaggerated and everyone piles on in perpetuity and all of a sudden it’s “a hot dumpster fire” or “the worst movie of 2021”. It’s all so exhausting. Didn’t mean to pick on your comment specifically. I’m just so tired of the negativity that’s so dominant in any discourse. Maybe that’s a sign I should see myself out of this thread. 😂

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Im sure there were some issues with production, no doubt. Like I said, I didn’t love the movie, and certainly had some issues with it. The new Smith was pretty bad, and while I think certain machines defecting to help the humans is a good idea, they way they were depicted(kinda cuddly versions of machines?) was really unnecessary. I just feel like with most things on the internet, legitimate criticisms get overly exaggerated and everyone piles on in perpetuity and all of a sudden it’s “a hot dumpster fire” or “the worst movie of 2021”. It’s all so exhausting. Didn’t mean to pick on your comment specifically. I’m just so tired of the negativity that’s so dominant in any discourse. Maybe that’s a sign I should see myself out of this thread. 😂

I agree with what was said earlier about it all being clickbaity, too. The usual group of youtube personalities are decrying the film already, and the videos are basically all titled the same, and it's just obvious race to hit the publish/upload button. These are people who got big on being loud, boisterous and negative with things like The Last Jedi, Ghostbusters 2016, and The Masters of the Universe, but I find your credibility is endangered if you can never find a redeeming factor in ANYTHING. I'm not saying taste is objective, and I don't like these people because they didn't like my favorite thing or my new toy, but it just seems parodic at this point.

If everything is terrible, maybe you're jaded and the problem. I've seen this film being compared to utter, checkbox ticking, agenda riding garbage and I legitimately can't for the life of me see the resemblance. People online using the term "woke," and it's like...do you even know why you're saying this? What's woke about it? Did you just hear a buzzword?

This is coming from someone who has gone on the record for thinking TLOU2 was more concerned with pandering than with well paced cohesive writing. Someone who has gone on record stating that The Last Jedi's lack of focus and coherency led to a two and a half hours of legit anime B team filler arc nonsense because we can't A. Have a pink haired strong female presence and B. Write her worth a damn. This isn't me waving a million pride flags and forking over my entire life savings to Hollywood. I just legit don't get it this time.

ShadowLag

I agree with what was said earlier about it all being clickbaity, too. The usual group of youtube personalities are decrying the film already, and the videos are basically all titled the same, and it's just obvious race to hit the publish/upload button. These are people who got big on being loud, boisterous and negative with things like The Last Jedi, Ghostbusters 2016, and The Masters of the Universe, but I find your credibility is endangered if you can never find a redeeming factor in ANYTHING. I'm not saying taste is objective, and I don't like these people because they didn't like my favorite thing or my new toy, but it just seems parodic at this point.

If everything is terrible, maybe you're jaded and the problem. I've seen this film being compared to utter, checkbox ticking, agenda riding garbage and I legitimately can't for the life of me see the resemblance. People online using the term "woke," and it's like...do you even know why you're saying this? What's woke about it? Did you just hear a buzzword?

This is coming from someone who has gone on the record for thinking TLOU2 was more concerned with pandering than with well paced cohesive writing. Someone who has gone on record stating that The Last Jedi's lack of focus and coherency led to a two and a half hours of legit anime B team filler arc nonsense because we can't A. Have a pink haired strong female presence and B. Write her worth a damn. This isn't me waving a million pride flags and forking over my entire life savings to Hollywood. I just legit don't get it this time.

Pretty much this for me too, I'm someone who identifies and avoids pandering/"wokeness" and agendas very quickly, and I hated TLOU2 (not because of that stuff though, ironically, I just thought it was a trash game with a bad story and incredible graphics).

I have a few individuals and groups on YouTube that I praise for calling out the BS in the entertainment industry on a regular basis, and I side with them 90% of the time. But here? They're all completely utterly wrong on this film, and it's incredibly weird.

Myself and two others went to see this in theaters. I'm a big Matrix nerd, I love all 3 original movies, and thought even the Animatrix was pretty rad. I get the details of the story. The other two that were with me needed me to fill them in on all the particulars of the series, although they've both seen the previous movies, they just needed a refresher. All three of us have the same views on the flaming trash heap Hollywood and the world in general have become, and we were all ready to groan and moan about some BS agenda getting shoved down our throats.

The result? No agenda, no BS. Just a movie about Neo and Trinity coming back to life. Everything was explained properly and wrapped up in a way that says "hey we're alive again, maybe some new movies in the future". All 3 of us loved it.

The action choreography was definitely a huge step down from the original movies, even if the action itself was really awesome. Several scenes were rushed through to try and quickly explain where things are going next, when they should've let them breathe a bit more so you don't blink and go "why are we here again?", but I feel like a couple more months in editing would've fixed that. The content was just fine, the production was rushed - I guess I was able to forgive that, because it wasn't entirely the point of the movie for me.

As for people thinking that the movie was disrespecting characters and their legacies, nah. The movie knows that YOU already know how things work, and the characters already know that their buddies also already know how things work - so they're gonna crack some jokes and be a little tired of explaining it all again. It's all about jogging Neo's memory, who clearly has already regained some of it before the movie even starts. Morpheus isn't even Morpheus here, he's just a program written by Neo who's subconsciously trying to understand his past that's creeping back into his mind.

Neo is still the one, he just, ya know, KINDA DIED. Then he had his body frankensteined by some robots and then gets plugged back in with a full memory wipe and a shitty new depressing life that apparently looped or something for 60 years. You can't just have him come back out and be flying instantly and kicking mega ass within the short amount of time the movie covers, it would feel cheap and rushed. The dude's gotta find a reason to live again after being dead, losing everything, and enslaved to madness. Trinity is the key, and she heals him while gaining some powers of her own in the process. I couldn't think of a better way to bring them back.

Should WB/Wachowski have brought the pair back? That's a subjective call, everyone's gonna have their own opinion on whether or not that's where a new Matrix sequel should go, but I liked it. I get it if some don't.

PS. Bugs is amazing and needed more screen time. Make a Bugs spinoff, WB! I want to see her redpill moment and subsequent ass kicking endeavours.

Jsisto

Great points. I feel like a lot of times people see negative coverage, a negative review or commentary by an internet personality, and are conditioned to feel a certain way about a piece of media before even seeing it. And you see everyone agreeing with that, and subconsciously you want to be part of the in crowd, so the pile on continues. Obviously sometimes it’s justified, but it’s a really dangerous cycle that a lot of people need to break out of, and just learn to enjoy things….or not enjoy them, on their own merits.

Yea Bugs was great! Definitely the best supporting character and they’d be wise to do more with the character. Cute as hell, too.

Top Bottom