• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My wife just got offered a job that force us to move to a place that is half the size of our current place, but our income would go up by a lot.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Pretty much the thread title. My wife and I, (me for our own property and my wife as both co-owner of our property and a manager for a management company) work in property management, but our property isn't pulling in the income that we want from it right now. I raised the rent on our tenants since we finally can, but we honestly need to move out if we want this property to be really producing some revenue. That being said, our current "unit" that we live in on our owned property is pretty big for our needs. We've got about 2000 livable square footage and four bed rooms, and as a result I have a 15000 dollar home gym set up in my garage that would make any gym rat jelly, so we live comfortably, but money could be less tight for sure. We drive more than I'd like, gas is crazy expensive, and I don't much like the city that we own our property in.

Enter my wife's new management opportunity. She's been offered an incredibly easy job, (it's a sixteen unit property, if you've worked in management then you know that this isn't even twenty hours of work a week), with a compensation of a free two bed room apartment and a thousand a month, which would allow us to rent out our four bed room here and move out of it, and for a four bed room in this area we can easily get 1900 a month. It's also in a far more metropolitan area where literally everything we need, (coffee shops, groceries, entertainment, storage, parks, school, physical therapists, dentist, doctor, you name it), is in walking distance, so we'd be saving massive amounts on gas costs and wear and tear on the vehicle. We would effectively be making far more every month, but my beautiful home gym would be no more, and I shutter to imagine my gorgeous training equipment languishing in a storage unit.

We also agreed that we were done with apartment living for any number of obvious reasons, but we'll just say I like to enjoy my music and games loud, I have a nine year old who likes drumming, (as do I), and playing keyboard, and my wife tends to scream during certain.....activities, when she feels free, which I kind of dig. If we were back in apartments we're effectively subject to all the same bullshit that we hated about that, even though she'd be the manager and it's a very small property, so I imagine it wouldn't be that bad, and a few thousand more a month is a nice cushion to the blow. There's also work life balance to consider, she wouldn't be working very much at this job at all, of course we still need to manage our own property here, but it's pretty damn easy to be honest.

All in all, between both properties and between the two of us, we'd be splitting around 20 to 30 hours a week of work right down the middle, and we'd be pulling in upwards of 6 grand a month with no living expenses at all, (utilities are paid as well), if she were to take this job, but our living space would be cut in half and we'd be losing our home gym that we absolutely adore and we'd back in apartments again. So my question to you Gaffers, if you survived this diatribe thus far, is simple. You're now my wife, (and you're looking goddamn good too by the way), and I wanna know what you'd do in this situation. Do you take the job for the extra money and accept the hit to life comforts? Or, alternatively, do you say fuck the money, I need to own and I need to be able to do what I want, when I want, as loud as I want, on my property? Just looking for view points here, thanks for your time Gaffers who now happen to be my wife and are about to get it later tonight when they put on that stringy thing I like.

EDIT: FUCK! Just noticed the stupid typo in the title that makes me sound like a caveman lol. Uh......it's early and I haven't had but one cup of coffee, no judgment allowed.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Money could be less tight…

Has a gym worth 15 000$…

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

Living space is only worth it if you spend a lot of time at home, otherwise it’s a place you sleep. Cutting on the space may allow you to look outside for activities.

Tschumi

Easy as hell decision, downsize and take it as a chance to freshen up ur life approach... marie kondo yawself

ps. ur 'home gym'... that's a hard thing to let go of but maybe this ultility-free 6k a month can go towards a membership in ur urban area

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you can afford a 15k gym, I would assume that you can live pretty comfortable right now, so it would be a matter of getting *more* money. But giving up a place you are very happy in without a necessity to do so, just to get more excess money seems like a bad trade for me.

KAL2006

Banned
Go out and make more money while you are young and healthy, you can always come back to this house and retire. As for home gym, it is nice to have but I'm sure a gym membership that's walking distance a way isn't that bad.

Relativ9

Almost everyone I know has way too much useless shit, clutter, and poorly utilized/inefficient space. In pretty much all situations (for western people) downsizing is usually a good choice if an option. The only way I ever recommend upsizing is if the new property comes with a lot of land around it (cause privacy and growing your own food is awesome) but as far as square meter inside your house/apartment, people need drastically less space than they think to be comfortable.

Last edited:
If you can afford a 15k gym, I would assume that you can live pretty comfortable right now, so it would be a matter of getting *more* money. But giving up a place you are very happy in without a necessity to do so, just to get more excess money seems like a bad trade for me.
Yeah I'm feeling this way as well.

If money is more important to you, then sure. But it seems like to me you have quite the setup for where you are in life now, and this move and change of life feels unnecessary other than the desire for more money.

If you're struggling financially, this make sense.

But with a kid at that age, a nice house with a gym in a living area I'm assuming is safe and sound for raising a family, moving to an apartment sounds quite the weird change.

Alas. Not sure how any of us can help then talk you through this, so do let us know how else we could help you come to a conclusion.

Bigger place is just more space to clean, costs more for power,, etc. I'm a big fan of downsizing. I currently rent a cavernous 2500 sq ft house and it's ridiculously oversized for what I need.
But I got it for dirt cheap (uhh, in the current rental market) and the location couldn't be better.

Quasicat

I can see positives for both, but it really comes down to the priorities of you and your spouse. You like your gym, you like being loud, you don’t want apartment life; that sounds like heaven to me. On the other hand, you could make more money, have more convenience, and move to place you may like more. If it were me, I would stay put, but money really is not that big of a deal for me (I’m a public educator, family of four, single income family). As long as we can live and make our bills, that’s all my wife and I need, but you may be different.
On a side note: I couldn’t imagine making $6000 a month, after taxes. I make less than half of that and things are decent. Things could always be less tight, but you need to do what makes you happy.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
To do what, run laps? Americans, man, it's wild over there.
You forgot about my daughter, but it's a fair point still. For what it's worth, we never really wanted that much space, we just kind of fell into it. If I'm being honest, the wife hates it because it's too much to clean. We have a bedroom that we simply don't use at all, it's essentially a storage room, which I hate as someone who doesn't care for waste.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You forgot about my daughter, but it's a fair point still. For what it's worth, we never really wanted that much space, we just kind of fell into it. If I'm being honest, the wife hates it because it's too much to clean. We have a bedroom that we simply don't use at all, it's essentially a storage room, which I hate as someone who doesn't care for waste.

Dunno how I missed that, kids each take up a chunk of space just to run around in. But yeah, 2k is huge, we nearly bought 1.4 in the UK and it felt gigantic for two of us.

Keihart

Well you can either look at it as "i'll have half the living space" or as i recommend "will i have enough living space?", after all, if you double your income and work less, you might also be able to save up more and also enjoy more and better free time.

I can easily see the pros to having excess money, i have a hard time seeing the pros to having excess living space, what you don't use usually becomes more of a burden than advantage. Usually ends up being more shit to clean up and keep tidy.

Urban

OP There is a old saying :

Its not important where you were born. It only matters where you get full.

Last edited:
America is a big place.

OP: IMO quality of life is everything. I do not mind living in small places, but my neighborhood needs to be safe, and my job can't be a pain in my ass. Would the move make your life better overall, once you factor in the money, the area, etc?

Seems like y'all are noisy. Can't do that when you're living on top of other people. That would be a big factor for me. I have to live my life.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Money > Space.

Because if you make more money and then intelligently invest it you can turn around in some years and buy all the space you will ever need.

Hey those guns and Big Macs gotta go somewhere man.

Last edited:

8bitpill

Gold Member
Lets start with this, complaining about gas prices is a joke. It fluctuates and these prices were similar to just two summers ago and eight years ago, it was much higher. I get it if you're driving a 4x4 or some kind of off terrain, but you can always change that and we now have the luxury of electric vehicles. I have a 2019 VW SUV and it gets 400 miles to the tank.

What you're asking about. Honestly, I would stay put. Eight years ago, my wife and I decided to move to Maine (best decision we made). We lived in Philadelphia and she owned her home. When we moved here and she sold her place, we went back to renting and it was rough. First one was a unit with others in the building and that only lasted a year before we knew we had to rent a house. Renting a house on the island we lived on for eight years was rough to find but we found one, and it came with a lousy landlord but it worked for the years we were there.

Her and I started a print business in 2009 and are comfortable. We figured out that Maine is where we were staying (after the first year we moved here) and two years ago started looking to buy, bought a house last year and honestly would never go back to renting even if the opportunity arises that we move our business to a area where it would grow ten times more.

Giving a little insight and how this relates. Moving to a major metropolitan area really isn't worth it. You will most likely be happier where you are. I grew up in the city and moving out was one of the best feelings. My wife and I honestly wouldn't have had our child if it wasn't for moving out of Phila.

I have plenty of friends that have had kids in cities in the past half a decade and have all been moving out.

I get the pull for more income, but if you three are living comfortably and the things you want stay where you are. Living in the city comes with way more expenses, if you're just worried about gas prices being lowered due to everything being within a mile or so, it won't offset the cost of everything else. You might find you're paying more for other daily life expenses.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Getting some very interesting replies, and quite a diversity of thought on the subject here. That's what I was going for really, just different view points and things to consider, it's kind of interesting seeing how other people perceive a subject and examine it from different angles before making a decision, so I really appreciate all of the replies from everyone, seriously.

I completely forgot to mention that I have two cats and a 46 pound dog as well, and I'm trying to factor that into the decision. There's a lot of things to consider, and I don't know that either choice is the "right choice", they're just different. Thanks again for the opinions folks.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Lets start with this, complaining about gas prices is a joke. It fluctuates and these prices were similar to just two summers ago and eight years ago, it was much higher. I get it if you're driving a 4x4 or some kind of off terrain, but you can always change that and we now have the luxury of electric vehicles. I have a 2019 VW SUV and it gets 400 miles to the tank.

What you're asking about. Honestly, I would stay put. Eight years ago, my wife and I decided to move to Maine (best decision we made). We lived in Philadelphia and she owned her home. When we moved here and she sold her place, we went back to renting and it was rough. First one was a unit with others in the building and that only lasted a year before we knew we had to rent a house. Renting a house on the island we lived on for eight years was rough to find but we found one, and it came with a lousy landlord but it worked for the years we were there.

Her and I started a print business in 2009 and are comfortable. We figured out that Maine is where we were staying (after the first year we moved here) and two years ago started looking to buy, bought a house last year and honestly would never go back to renting even if the opportunity arises that we move our business to a area where it would grow ten times more.

Giving a little insight and how this relates. Moving to a major metropolitan area really isn't worth it. You will most likely be happier where you are. I grew up in the city and moving out was one of the best feelings. My wife and I honestly wouldn't have had our child if it wasn't for moving out of Phila.

I have plenty of friends that have had kids in cities in the past half a decade and have all been moving out.

I get the pull for more income, but if you three are living comfortably and the things you want stay where you are. Living in the city comes with way more expenses, if you're just worried about gas prices being lowered due to everything being within a mile or so, it won't offset the cost of everything else. You might find you're paying more for other daily life expenses.
This is an EXTREMELY insightful post, and very thoughtful. I really, really wanna thank you for sharing your experience and giving me other things to consider, seriously. I appreciate your time brother.

Keihart

If you are going from house to apartment and you like to make noise, don't bother.
Living in apartments means being a little considerate of your neighbors, even with all the soundproofing on the world if you run or blast speakers, neighbors will notice and probably not take kindly.

8bitpill

Gold Member
This is an EXTREMELY insightful post, and very thoughtful. I really, really wanna thank you for sharing your experience and giving me other things to consider, seriously. I appreciate your time brother.
It read similar to what my wife did when we moved but in reverse. I had my concerns back then because our company just really started doing well right before we moved and I thought "I'm moving to a bridge island in Maine, how is the company going to do moving out of a major city." Well it did better here, because I was more laid back, and those city problems that didn't need to be there weren't on our minds.

The grass is always greener, but possibly scale back to to get that extra income that would come with a move. Just a couple years and nothing serious just maybe the little expandable buys.

On the other hand, you know, happy wife happy life. Since you have a child that also factors in, how do they feel about it?

I'm sure as a unit, you and your wife will make the best decision.

poodaddy

Gold Member
It read similar to what my wife did when we moved but in reverse. I had my concerns back then because our company just really started doing well right before we moved and I thought "I'm moving to a bridge island in Maine, how is the company going to do moving out of a major city." Well it did better here, because I was more laid back, and those city problems that didn't need to be there weren't on our minds.

The grass is always greener, but possibly scale back to to get that extra income that would come with a move. Just a couple years and nothing serious just maybe the little expandable buys.

On the other hand, you know, happy wife happy life. Since you have a child that also factors in, how do they feel about it?

I'm sure as a unit, you and your wife will make the best decision.
The wife and daughter are leaning towards it, but my wife is possibly more of a gym rat than I am, and she is beside herself about us not having the home gym any more, so that alone is kind of causing it to be almost a deal breaker for her. She really likes the idea of more money though, and my daughter loves the area that we would be moving to, as it's much more "fun" than the area we currently live in. More of a night life, stuff to do, things of that nature. Shit that doesn't really matter much to me, as I've got more games, books, and movies than I'll be able to finish in this life time, but the wife and daughter like getting out and doing shit much much more than I do.

The thing is with scaling back is that my wife is, (and this isn't me talking shit, these are her exact words), unwilling to compromise on our biggest expense, which is easily food. She's a foodie, and she just has to have the healthiest food imaginable. Her tastes are.....refined I'll say, to be kind, and to be unkind they're simply very very expensive. I love the woman very literally more than my life, but she's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. This particular area we'd be moving to has a lot of the ritzier restaurants that she loves in walking distance, as well as the trendy coffee shop type places that she likes to frequent. I feel like, ultimately, we may not end up too far ahead just because of how close we'll be to all the things she loves spending money on.....but then again she's already spending money on all that shit now, it's just that we have to drive to get there.

I don't know man. It's still a tough decision. To be honest, I am happy here, that is true, but you're very right that a happy wife makes a happy life. The thing is, though my wife has metropolitan tastes, she really REALLY likes her privacy, and she is ultimately, when she's in "at home" mode anyway, someone who really likes being removed from society in many regards. She's a dichotomy of a woman. My daughter is also somewhat complicated, as she loves her current school district and doesn't wanna leave it, but she's also excited by the prospect of living in this new area as she loves it lol. Fuck man, the more I think about it the tougher it seems.

8bitpill

Gold Member
The wife and daughter are leaning towards it, but my wife is possibly more of a gym rat than I am, and she is beside herself about us not having the home gym any more, so that alone is kind of causing it to be almost a deal breaker for her. She really likes the idea of more money though, and my daughter loves the area that we would be moving to, as it's much more "fun" than the area we currently live in. More of a night life, stuff to do, things of that nature. Shit that doesn't really matter much to me, as I've got more games, books, and movies than I'll be able to finish in this life time, but the wife and daughter like getting out and doing shit much much more than I do.

The thing is with scaling back is that my wife is, (and this isn't me talking shit, these are her exact words), unwilling to compromise on our biggest expense, which is easily food. She's a foodie, and she just has to have the healthiest food imaginable. Her tastes are.....refined I'll say, to be kind, and to be unkind they're simply very very expensive. I love the woman very literally more than my life, but she's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. This particular area we'd be moving to has a lot of the ritzier restaurants that she loves in walking distance, as well as the trendy coffee shop type places that she likes to frequent. I feel like, ultimately, we may not end up too far ahead just because of how close we'll be to all the things she loves spending money on.....but then again she's already spending money on all that shit now, it's just that we have to drive to get there.

I don't know man. It's still a tough decision. To be honest, I am happy here, that is true, but you're very right that a happy wife makes a happy life. The thing is, though my wife has metropolitan tastes, she really REALLY likes her privacy, and she is ultimately, when she's in "at home" mode anyway, someone who really likes being removed from society in many regards. She's a dichotomy of a woman. My daughter is also somewhat complicated, as she loves her current school district and doesn't wanna leave it, but she's also excited by the prospect of living in this new area as she loves it lol. Fuck man, the more I think about it the tougher it seems.
This is a tough one. Especially when it comes to your daughter. I have a daughter, she is about to be five and honestly, I bend of backwards to make sure she is smiling and loved. You have a child and in my personal parenthood, 90% of my focus from the day we knew we were having a child has been her.

I think I read you mention you would be renting the house you currently own if you move, is this correct? If so, it makes it easier. You could move and have the possibility to move back. Give it a couple of years see how you like it, if it isn't a fit, move back.

I don't know this for certain, but a educated guess with moving into a city you would most likely break even with expenses. It's expensive and that is only going to go up over the next couple of years. You dont have to say where you're moving but if it was one of the cities hit with rioting from last year, you will also be paying into taxes because all across the country right now, taxes are going up due to properties being priced higher due to the market. The riots in major hub cities are pretty much putting the cost for repair within those taxes.

Well at least the expenses is food and not materialistic. Eating well is one of the better things you can do for yourself.

If you have options and won't be locked into something, I would say try it out. Just be aware, of the signs of city stress.

poodaddy

Gold Member
This is a tough one. Especially when it comes to your daughter. I have a daughter, she is about to be five and honestly, I bend of backwards to make sure she is smiling and loved. You have a child and in my personal parenthood, 90% of my focus from the day we knew we were having a child has been her.

I think I read you mention you would be renting the house you currently own if you move, is this correct? If so, it makes it easier. You could move and have the possibility to move back. Give it a couple of years see how you like it, if it isn't a fit, move back.

I don't know this for certain, but a educated guess with moving into a city you would most likely break even with expenses. It's expensive and that is only going to go up over the next couple of years. You dont have to say where you're moving but if it was one of the cities hit with rioting from last year, you will also be paying into taxes because all across the country right now, taxes are going up due to properties being priced higher due to the market. The riots in major hub cities are pretty much putting the cost for repair within those taxes.

Well at least the expenses is food and not materialistic. Eating well is one of the better things you can do for yourself.

If you have options and won't be locked into something, I would say try it out. Just be aware, of the signs of city stress.
I'm gonna DM you, as I feel I need to be more specific. Gimme a few minutes. Thanks again brethren.

SegaShack

Apartments suck. You yourself said you like being in a home better. More income to be unhappy or compromise isn't worth it unless you cant meet your current living expenses.

Stay where you are.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Stay where you are, sell the gym to make money "less tight" and in future think before you splurge.
I didn't splurge, I paid for that gym equipment over the course of eight years, not sure what would make you think otherwise. I'm not still in debt for it, and my affairs are well in hand, by less tight I simply mean afford more of the things my family likes without thinking about expenses so much.

In the future, think before you post.

lem0n

You'll never know if it's the right move unless you give it a go. The positive side is if you're keeping the home to rent you can always come back if it's not your cup of tea. Thing is, with a kid, your hobbies/activities and how you've gotten used to living with no "wall neighbors" you all will need to adjust your way of living a LOT.

Ikutachi

Bigger place is just more space to clean, costs more for power,, etc. I'm a big fan of downsizing. I currently rent a cavernous 2500 sq ft house and it's ridiculously oversized for what I need.
But I got it for dirt cheap (uhh, in the current rental market) and the location couldn't be better.
Are you married with a kid and a 46 pound dog? That changes things.

Marlenus

Pretty much the thread title. My wife and I, (me for our own property and my wife as both co-owner of our property and a manager for a management company) work in property management, but our property isn't pulling in the income that we want from it right now. I raised the rent on our tenants since we finally can, but we honestly need to move out if we want this property to be really producing some revenue. That being said, our current "unit" that we live in on our owned property is pretty big for our needs. We've got about 2000 livable square footage and four bed rooms, and as a result I have a 15000 dollar home gym set up in my garage that would make any gym rat jelly, so we live comfortably, but money could be less tight for sure. We drive more than I'd like, gas is crazy expensive, and I don't much like the city that we own our property in.

Enter my wife's new management opportunity. She's been offered an incredibly easy job, (it's a sixteen unit property, if you've worked in management then you know that this isn't even twenty hours of work a week), with a compensation of a free two bed room apartment and a thousand a month, which would allow us to rent out our four bed room here and move out of it, and for a four bed room in this area we can easily get 1900 a month. It's also in a far more metropolitan area where literally everything we need, (coffee shops, groceries, entertainment, storage, parks, school, physical therapists, dentist, doctor, you name it), is in walking distance, so we'd be saving massive amounts on gas costs and wear and tear on the vehicle. We would effectively be making far more every month, but my beautiful home gym would be no more, and I shutter to imagine my gorgeous training equipment languishing in a storage unit.

We also agreed that we were done with apartment living for any number of obvious reasons, but we'll just say I like to enjoy my music and games loud, I have a nine year old who likes drumming, (as do I), and playing keyboard, and my wife tends to scream during certain.....activities, when she feels free, which I kind of dig. If we were back in apartments we're effectively subject to all the same bullshit that we hated about that, even though she'd be the manager and it's a very small property, so I imagine it wouldn't be that bad, and a few thousand more a month is a nice cushion to the blow. There's also work life balance to consider, she wouldn't be working very much at this job at all, of course we still need to manage our own property here, but it's pretty damn easy to be honest.

All in all, between both properties and between the two of us, we'd be splitting around 20 to 30 hours a week of work right down the middle, and we'd be pulling in upwards of 6 grand a month with no living expenses at all, (utilities are paid as well), if she were to take this job, but our living space would be cut in half and we'd be losing our home gym that we absolutely adore and we'd back in apartments again. So my question to you Gaffers, if you survived this diatribe thus far, is simple. You're now my wife, (and you're looking goddamn good too by the way), and I wanna know what you'd do in this situation. Do you take the job for the extra money and accept the hit to life comforts? Or, alternatively, do you say fuck the money, I need to own and I need to be able to do what I want, when I want, as loud as I want, on my property? Just looking for view points here, thanks for your time Gaffers who now happen to be my wife and are about to get it later tonight when they put on that stringy thing I like.

EDIT: FUCK! Just noticed the stupid typo in the title that makes me sound like a caveman lol. Uh......it's early and I haven't had but one cup of coffee, no judgment allowed.

Can't you sub let the 2 bed she gets and find a rental close by and see how the figures work out?

poodaddy

Gold Member
Can't you sub let the 2 bed she gets and find a rental close by and see how the figures work out?
I don't think that would work as the apartment manager office is inside the two bedroom apartment that's part of the compensation, otherwise I'd definitely think that'd be a good deal. Good thinking though certainly.

Kenpachii

Get somebody to clean your house for you. after a certain sized house there is no way in hell u can clean it yourself without going completely nuts and u should calculate the price in with the monthly cost.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Get somebody to clean your house for you. after a certain sized house there is no way in hell u can clean it yourself without going completely nuts.
Ya know, I've mentioned this to my wife.....it didn't go well. For some reason she takes me mentioning that we could use help cleaning as an insinuation that she can't do it. She gets quite mad at it. I've learned not to bring it up :/.

For what it's worth, I agree, and a weekly cleaner really isn't that expensive, but it's out of the question unfortunately.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Take the chance, the money and live in smaller space. Then use the money for other stuff that fills up your life like traveling

Maximusz

I didn't splurge, I paid for that gym equipment over the course of eight years, not sure what would make you think otherwise. I'm not still in debt for it, and my affairs are well in hand, by less tight I simply mean afford more of the things my family likes without thinking about expenses so much.

In the future, think before you post.
Awww...I am sorry I hit a nerve. Clearly, your "affairs are well in hand". So, you went for a gym against "things your family likes". You do you bro.

Personally I wouldn't want apartment living with a 9 year old and a wife. If you wanted to sacrifice for a few years to save some bank I see the merit of making the move, again personally speaking I'd only do that temporarily. If you're comfortable now then I wouldn't bother uprooting and adjust plus invest from your base as is.

Also chat to your wife, she may have strong feelings one way or another.

Top Bottom