• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystic Ryan | The Problem With A 2022 PlayStation Showcase: What They Can, And Can't Show.

mortal

Gold Member

Mystic Ryan shares his arguments on why people shouldn't expect much in the way of PS5 1st party offerings from a PlayStation Showcase if it were to happen this year.
I think he makes some good points that make me reconsider my expectations.

Given the transitory stage many PlayStation Studios find themselves in at the moment, a hypothetical showcase in August or September could be likely framed as 'what's coming to PlayStation (PS4 +PS5)',
rather than a proper PS5 showcase with a strong 1st party presence that many of us would much rather have.

What do you guys think? Would you still want a PlayStation showcase this year, even if it were mostly cross-gen and light on Sony 1st party exclusives?
Personally, I wouldn't even mind if Sony didn't do one this year and just waited until next year until their studios have more titles to properly show off and more release dates to announce.

SlimySnake SlimySnake has been saying similar stuff for a while now. Everyone's in the beginning or middle of years long projects. The math just isn't there really.

But I don't have any expectations so we'll see what happens.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Are they still selling out of every single batch of consoles they make? Then they have very little reason to worry about pushing more announcements out yet. The PS5 will coast on God of War for months on end, especially if/when it goes toe-to-toe with Elden Ring in GOTY discussions.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Didn't Jim Ryan say that PlayStation has two unannounced Live Service games expected to release before March 2023?

Last edited:
Any of the big three can show whatever they feel like, when they feel like.

We f*cking waited for nearly a decade for FF Versus XIII, we always forget and forgive.

Hunnybun

I think it's bollocks. There's obviously plenty to show of GOW, and there must be at least enough for a decent demo of Spider-Man 2. That's probably enough for a headline.

Then there also MUST be enough to show a decent demo of Forspoken, and Final Fantasy XVI, and probably some more of FFVII Rebirth.

I don't see any reason they couldn't show a demo of RE4, either, given that it's out in well under a year.

And then we also know that there must be enough for a good blowout of PSVR2.

So the claim that they don't have enough seems highly spurious to me.

What seems odd is the timing: such a show would've been perfect for June. They could've shown the reveals they had at that last State of Play, plus announced TLOU Remake, plus the talk about Factions, plus all that stuff above. It would've been perfect timing and packed with content and barely have scratched the surface of what their own studios were working on.

So if they were going to have a showcase, I just don't understand why they didn't have one back then. I suspect that they just would rather not have them at all anymore, and that in fact we won't get anything in September, or any other time.

NickFire

I don't know. I feel like we've had years of news reports about adding devs, new devs, yada yada yada. I know they have changed their approach a bit and prefer to show games closer to launch. But if Sony wanted to start showing future games, they certainly must have a lot in the pipeline to talk about.

Sony has games coming up next year.

VR2 and its launch lineup + release date, MLB, more Spider-Man 2, the rumored Horizon DLC, FFXVI, FFVII Rebirth, Wolverine (unlikely though), 3rd party deals, indies + "and one last thing before we go" with a final announcement. This would already be an amazing conference.

Just because they don't have more games announced doesn't mean they can't announce them. They still have 2 Gaas titles to announce and release until March 2023 as well.

I don’t really agree.

Firewalk multiplayer game should be at least ready to be shown, GG’s multiplayer game has been in production since 2019, Twisted Metal was supposed to come out next year with the show, even if it doesnt it can still be teased, GoW, Spider-Man 2, Call of The Mountain…

Helldivers 2 should be near complete, and whatever 3rd party deals they have….you don’t need to debut 12 games at once, you give updates on a couple of games shown last year, and debut 3-4 more coming out 2023-2024

People have to remember that Sony rarely announce a big game and release it in the same year or the next year and by big game i mean anything that isnt a remaster or remake.

I think there is still an average gap of two years between announcement and release

Edit—-

Nevermind watched the video and we mostly agree

Last edited:

Elios83

Nah I disagree.
Last year they were far more unprepared for a full event, basically Insomniac saved the day with Spiderman 2 and Wolverine (both games coming out 2023 and later) and the final GOW trailer.
If events were only about games coming soon Microsoft shouldn't have done the last few E3 conferences at all for example.

This year I see it like the 2020 showcase, they have the opportunity to start talking about games coming out in 2023-2024. There's the whole PSVR2 launch lineup to unveil, they apparently have two unannounced gaas games coming out soon. They also need to showcase something more about God of War which is going to be the biggest exclusive of the holiday season and then there's also room for third party games and stuff already announced coming out next year (Harry Potter, Forspoken, RE4:R)

Last edited:
giphy.gif

mortal

Gold Member
We f*cking waited for nearly a decade for FF Versus XIII, we always forget and forgive.
Nah I've learned my lesson after that. Anything game with Nomura heading it I'm immediately cautious of until it releases lol

I think it's bollocks. There's obviously plenty to show of GOW, and there must be at least enough for a decent demo of Spider-Man 2. That's probably enough for a headline.
That's the thing though, GOW Ragnarok could just as easily have its own State of Play deep dive and wouldn't need an entire showcase for another preview of the game.
As far as Spider-Man 2 is concerned, I suppose we could see it were if it were to happen. Although considering that it's targeted for 2023 it seems just as likely, if not more so, that we won't see gameplay until next year with a release date attached ( assuming no delays of course.)

Then there also MUST be enough to show a decent demo of Forspoken, and Final Fantasy XVI, and probably some more of FFVII Rebirth.

I don't see any reason they couldn't show a demo of RE4, either, given that it's out in well under a year.
None of these are necessarily their titles, which is the premise here. Aside from maybe PSVR2, PlayStation Studios themselves won't have much to show for PS5.

Forpsoken already had multiple trailers and previews, so there isn't really much more to glean imo. It's already been delayed a second time, so what would be the point of showing it off yet again at a showcase this year?
FFXVI seems very likely, given the team alluded to another update this fall. Although as Ryan mentioned in the video, it could just easily be at TGS 2022. So a PlayStation showcase is not a necessity for us to receive a new trailer.
Same goes for RE4 remake. It's also a Japanese title, so TGS is just a viable of venue for another update.
Although I wouldn't expect anything from FFVII Rebirth so soon.

What seems odd is the timing: such a show would've been perfect for June. They could've shown the reveals they had at that last State of Play, plus announced TLOU Remake, plus the talk about Factions, plus all that stuff above. It would've been perfect timing and packed with content and barely have scratched the surface of what their own studios were working on.

So if they were going to have a showcase, I just don't understand why they didn't have one back then. I suspect that they just would rather not have them at all anymore, and that in fact we won't get anything in September, or any other time.
TLOU remake is out at the start of September, so if a showcase were to happen it would have to be this month, wouldn't it?
Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in showcasing as people would already be playing it by then. Would be a waste of a slot tbh.

I doubt we'll be see anything substantial from Factions until next year. If Naughty Dog had anything ready to showcase, they would've done so when when Druckmann discussed it at the last State of Play. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine a few months would make a difference.
Sony is no longer operating on the same time frames everyone has grown accustomed to and many of us are still stuck in that E3 season paradigm, so it's gotten harder to predict their moves since then.
I would much rather they cut back on showing off titles that are years out and focusing on tighter release windows that are several months to a year out.

Umbasaborne

Banned
They are too busy copying nintendo by being radio silent for as long as fucking possible. Cant stand modern sony, the brand was so much more exciting during the first few years of the ps4

mortal

Gold Member
I don't know. I feel like we've had years of news reports about adding devs, new devs, yada yada yada. I know they have changed their approach a bit and prefer to show games closer to launch. But if Sony wanted to start showing future games, they certainly must have a lot in the pipeline to talk about.
They have titles in the pipeline, no doubt. Whether enough of them are ready to justify an entire PlayStation showcase by next month is the question.

Sony has games coming up next year.

VR2 and its launch lineup + release date, MLB, more Spider-Man 2, the rumored Horizon DLC, FFXVI, FFVII Rebirth, Wolverine (unlikely though), 3rd party deals, indies + "and one last thing before we go" with a final announcement. This would already be an amazing conference.

Just because they don't have more games announced doesn't mean they can't announce them. They still have 2 Gaas titles to announce and release until March 2023 as well.
Sony have only 2 major titles releasing in the next half of this year. One of which releases in the next couple of weeks.
Aside from more PSVR2, most of that sounds more like wishful thinking on your part tbh. Then again, I could be wrong, and most/all of what you've mentioned does end up happening, but I have my doubts.
I can see more PC port announcements happening. Maybe a release date for TLOU remake PC port and an official announcement for the Returnal PC port?
sucks that we aren’t getting Factions info/teaser this year though. I still think they are waiting for the Bungie/service-game strategy to be formed before they release more info on it
Why, do you think they're implementing ideas and teams from Bungie to retool Factions?
It does sound plausible, given Bungie's experience in GasS and multiplayer titles.

I haven't watched the video, but I think reveals from Asobi, Pixelopus, Guerrilla, Firesprite and XDEV are pretty much a given, alongside news from SSM and Insomniac (Ragnarok and SM2).
Maybe, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're a given, with the exception of GOW Ragnarok.

Nah I disagree.
Last year they were far more unprepared for a full event, basically Insomniac saved the day with Spiderman 2 and Wolverine (both games coming out 2023 and later) and the final GOW trailer.
If events were only about games coming soon Microsoft shouldn't have done the last few E3 conferences at all for example.

This year I see it like the 2020 showcase, they have the opportunity to start talking about games coming out in 2023-2024. There's the whole PSVR2 launch lineup to unveil, they apparently have two unannounced gaas games coming out soon. They also need to showcase something more about God of War which is going to be the biggest exclusive of the holiday season and then there's also room for third party games and stuff already announced coming out next year (Harry Potter, Forspoken, RE4:R)
Sony's showcases have become less predictable and have been at different times since 2020.
They could be shifting their approach in how and when they decide to showcase their games, compared to Microsoft continuing to occupy that E3 time slot.

If they're shifting to showing titles with closer releases, I think that would be much more preferable than having another 2021 showcase with cinematic trailers ( in-engine or otherwise) of 1st party games that are 2-3 years out like they did with Spider-Man 2 & Wolverine.
Not to say they won't have anything whatsoever, but I think it would leave many wanting more.
A PlayStation showcase should have a strong 1st party presence imo, and State of Plays are better suited for showcasing their 3rd party support for PS4 & PS5.

They are too busy copying nintendo by being radio silent for as long as fucking possible. Cant stand modern sony, the brand was so much more exciting during the first few years of the ps4
I don't think I hate Nintendo's approach as much as I used to tbh.
At least with Nintendo, the titles they announce will often release within the next 2 quarters of that year. So the perceived wait is dramatically shorter.
Although they aren't exactly perfect (BOTW2, Bayonetta 3) their practice is still preferable to the industry standard imo

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reminder: You need about 2 or 3 big budget exclusives at your showcase surrounded by 3rd party games and smaller indie projects to be considered acceptable.

Hunnybun

Nah I've learned my lesson after that. Anything game with Nomura heading it I'm immediately cautious of until it releases lol

That's the thing though, GOW Ragnarok could just as easily have its own State of Play deep dive and wouldn't need an entire showcase for another preview of the game.
As far as Spider-Man 2 is concerned, I suppose we could see it were if it were to happen. Although considering that it's targeted for 2023 it seems just as likely, if not more so, that we won't see gameplay until next year with a release date attached ( assuming no delays of course.)

None of these are necessarily their titles, which is the premise here. Aside from maybe PSVR2, PlayStation Studios themselves won't have much to show for PS5.

Forpsoken already had multiple trailers and previews, so there isn't really much more to glean imo. It's already been delayed a second time, so what would be the point of showing it off yet again at a showcase this year?
FFXVI seems very likely, given the team alluded to another update this fall. Although as Ryan mentioned in the video, it could just easily be at TGS 2022. So a PlayStation showcase is not a necessity for us to receive a new trailer.
Same goes for RE4 remake. It's also a Japanese title, so TGS is just a viable of venue for another update.
Although I wouldn't expect anything from FFVII Rebirth so soon.

TLOU remake is out at the start of September, so if a showcase were to happen it would have to be this month, wouldn't it?
Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in showcasing as people would already be playing it by then. Would be a waste of a slot tbh.

I doubt we'll be see anything substantial from Factions until next year. If Naughty Dog had anything ready to showcase, they would've done so when when Druckmann discussed it at the last State of Play. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine a few months would make a difference.
Sony is no longer operating on the same time frames everyone has grown accustomed to and many of us are still stuck in that E3 season paradigm, so it's gotten harder to predict their moves since then.
I would much rather they cut back on showing off titles that are years out and focusing on tighter release windows that are several months to a year out.

You know you should really wait till you've read to the end of someone's post before you start replying to the earlier parts of it.

I think almost everything you wrote was either entirely irrelevant or at least irrelevant in light of something I'd later go on to write.

Why, do you think they're implementing ideas and teams from Bungie to retool Factions?
It does sound plausible, given Bungie's experience in GasS and multiplayer titles.

I think the Bungie acquisition was pivotal for their GAAS rollout/expansion. It only seems right for their biggest multiplayer game to stick the landing on launch.

as opposed to what, announcing their games 4-5 years in advance?

mortal

Gold Member
You know you should really wait till you've read to the end of someone's post before you start replying to the earlier parts of it.

I think almost everything you wrote was either entirely irrelevant or at least irrelevant in light of something I'd later go on to write.
lol I was just engaging in discussion with you since you decided to take the time to respond 🤷‍♂️
The fact that I even quoted and addressed your last sentence means I read your entire post, no?

Last edited:
sucks that we aren’t getting Factions info/teaser this year though. I still think they are waiting for the Bungie/service-game strategy to be formed before they release more info on it
I have a feeling that Sony is going to get a military FPS, and a game thats like Fortnite out of Bungie.

CamHostage

For sure it would not be great if they did a Microsoft 2020 conference (or worse, a Sony 2005 conference.) I like knowing products ahead of time and don't like this "Don't tell me about it until it's done or I'll be angry if anything changes," situation we're in now, but I still look at the past few Xbox conferences as pure carnival barker flimflam.

That's a better ask then that they do PlayStation Experience in December. There's little reason to have a Showcase in September when the business has to sell games this Christmas. (It could maybe help to sell PS5s, if somebody showed a game so exciting and/or so clearly only possible with the power of PS5 and current-gen, but PS5s aren't having trouble selling if they can put them on shelves.)

They could do State of Play for GoW, another for TLoU1, and wait until the end of the year for a big blow-out of Future of PlayStation. That would suuuuuuuuuuck after all the anticipation for a Sony event this summer, but it would make sense.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

I watch very often Mystic Ryans videos on YouTube liked his documentaries about the Playstation thumbs up and wish him well

Top Bottom