• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 and SEGA Genesis games coming to Nintendo Switch Online

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Hahahahahahahaha, months and months of stupid people asking Nintendo why they aren't releasing other console game on switch and being mad they don't want their money, now suddenly everyone has a problem on paying for it, lol. Yeah Nintendo, milk dry the wallets of those hypocrites that bought your system in the first place.

Love that the amazing N64 controller is back, love you King.

RAIDEN1

Such "meh" additions though....Genesis ports have been done to death else-where so this is not bringing anything new to the table, N64 wise will it have Golden Eye and Wave-Race? And F-Zero 64 is likely about as good as it gets for a F-Zero game appearing on the switch

BlackTron

If i could connect that N64 controller to a PC then i'm sold.

I still haven't found the correct analog stick and sensitivity settings that will make me repeat my F-Zero X records i did on the real N64.

Yeah I have like 1 billion ways to play N64 games at my disposal but still have a 64 under the TV. It stings because many of them look much, much better played on the Wii, but then the GC controller is a poor substitute for N64...I have to choose graphics or controls. At this point I would rather take an N64 controller for Wii tbh lol.

engstra

While a virtual console like on the Wii would've been the most ideal solution I still think this is pretty cool and will probably mean I will end up getting a subscription. I bought an N64 a few years ago but my collection isn't big as cartridges are fucking expensive. Many of the games they're offering in the service would otherwise cost as much as new games or even more in the case of Paper Mario for example. So in that sense it's pretty good value and being able to play online against friends is pretty cool. As long as it's not a huge spike in pricing I'm in.
The one concern I have is how many games and how regularly they'll be added. The games they've announced coming at a later stage are good but I hope that that won't be it for a long time. From what I've heard the NES and SNES offerings have been a bit meh?

jaysius

Banned
Nintendo: see trends that subscription models are hot
Nintendo: panics to figure out what they have that they're willing to let go in a subscription model
Nintendo: realizes they have a fuck ton of old roms and nostalgia is IN in a big way and that it's fans are thirsty for content due to the way they're drip feeding it on the Switch.
Nintendo: "Instead of allowing people to pay ONCE for an old rom, we'll make sure they pay FOREVER for the access to them, we'll have a large release AT FIRST then release D-tier games throughout the year."
Nintendo: laughs in money

Last edited:

nkarafo

Yeah I have like 1 billion ways to play N64 games at my disposal but still have a 64 under the TV. It stings because many of them look much, much better played on the Wii, but then the GC controller is a poor substitute for N64...I have to choose graphics or controls. At this point I would rather take an N64 controller for Wii tbh lol.
Ι have a cable/adapter that can connect N64 controllers on the Wii, so you can play N64 VC games with it.

Unfortunately, i live in Europe so Nintendo decided i deserve their un-optimised PAL trash. So even though i have the controls i want and the 480p graphics, i don't have the correct versions of the games.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
LOL @ the salt.

So tell me, you were all bitchin’ that NSO cost “too much” (lol) and was useless anyway, now you’d want extras for the same price like you‘d be happy to subscribe just to play F-Zero X? Yup, you totally would :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I guess it’d be completely wasted to remind people that at the price VC games were going for on the Wii, you’d end up spending more than yearly subscriptions to NSO ’til the time Switch is replaced by something else if you were able to just buy the games. If this new tier is $/€ 30 a year, that’s 3 N64 games on the old VC. The math is easy enough.

€50 for those controllers though, that’s highway robbery.
The N64 analogue stick is still better than anything anyone has used in the last 20 years, but that’s too much to ask. And LOL at the same price for the Mega Drive/Genesis pad.

I’m curious to see how the emulation performs. The Banjo games on XBox aren’t pretty with their original jerky framerate.

BlackTron

Ι have a cable/adapter that can connect N64 controllers on the Wii, so you can play N64 VC games with it.

Unfortunately, i live in Europe so Nintendo decided i deserve their un-optimised PAL trash. So even though i have the controls i want and the 480p graphics, i don't have the correct versions of the games.

How is the performance compared to N64? I'm a little wary of trying to recreate an OG hardware experience by daisy chaining my controller first through an adapter, then through the Wiimote, then through its bluetooth to the console...

jigglet

Banned
For my demographic (90's kid with too much disposable income), a subscription service is actually the wrong approach. Hear me out:

Subscription service: pay a monthly fee for games I'd never even play? Get the fuck out of here.

À la carte: buy a bunch of VC games I'd never play? Fuck yes, where do I put my credit card?

(even though it sounds like I'm joking, it's the actual truth, the obligation of getting my money's worth from a monthly service is too much pressure, but if I could buy them I would, even though I know I'm not going to play them...I have an epic backlog as proof)

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Nintendo 64 is the best Nintendo console so this is great news.
Now we just need Game Boy games, i would love to play Super Mario Land 2 again. Great game.

nkarafo

How is the performance compared to N64? I'm a little wary of trying to recreate an OG hardware experience by daisy chaining my controller first through an adapter, then through the Wiimote, then through its bluetooth to the console...
IIRC, the adapter cable connects to the Gamecube ports. I remember the N64 controller working fine with it but it's a long time ago.

BlackTron

IIRC, the adapter cable connects to the Gamecube ports. I remember the N64 controller working fine with it but it's a long time ago.

Raphnet currently sells an adapter that plugs into the wiimote and emulates a classic controller. But this is now, that was then 🤷‍♂️

BlackTron

Thanks but no thanks at the N64 controller. You have to be that stupid to not know their analog not only sucks but tires easly. They are really poor shit quality.

Now about the games...well, can't say I'm surprised. Hope they get some kinda of upgrade, N64 games are cool stuff for me.

This is a common misconception. Does the N64 stick suck because it wears out too easily? YES.

Does it suck because it's a poor instrument? NO. It's the best damn stick on any controller since the 90's.

nkarafo

Raphnet currently sells an adapter that plugs into the wiimote and emulates a classic controller. But this is now, that was then 🤷‍♂️
Found mine

TTHtyww.jpg

Plugs to the Gamecube port and has a N64 port on the other side. In between there's a circuit covered with some rubber. Don't remember where i got it from though.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This allows them to have more control over when these titles come off of nso due to licensing, it also means they arent forced to honor any purchases going forward. I think it sucks but it is what it is

That's not the real reason for doing this, they are just after the big carrot of re-occurring subscription revenue.

On the one hand it's cool they're getting MegaDrive games in there. On the other hand, why does SEGA keep pretending Saturn and Dreamcast don't exist? Also it's kind of ridiculous MD & N64 games are their own tier.

The controllers look kind of neat tho. Probably overpriced though like a lot of Nintendo's stuff tbh.

Just so you know this is what a N64 controller cost back in the day when adjusted for inflation.

Also, it's a great controller.

Eh, it was fine for 3D platformers, FPS and racing games. Every other genre? Not the most optimal design. I remember playing Clayfighters 63 1/3 and Killer Instinct Gold on that thing and it felt more awkward compared to playing SF 2 Champion Edition on my (standard) Genesis controller...although that was probably more awkward in retrospect because Punches & Kicks had to be switched through (this did not matter to little kid me at the time).

But compared to the PS1 controller? N64 controller almost always routinely felt like it lost out in all genres besides the three I mentioned.

Sweet. Sega's offering the same 16-Bit games they've repackaged for every console since the Dreamcast. Can't wait to buy Sonic 2 and Flicky again. Much better than releasing those arcade games like Shadow Dancer and Revenge of Death Adder that never got proper home ports.

Yeah this is what pisses me off about Sega when it comes to supporting their legacy stuff. It's like they hard cut-off at the MegaDrive but for me a lot of my favorite Sega games (1P exclusives, 3P exclusives, best home versions etc.) were AFTER the MegaDrive/Genesis era, or for platforms like Mega CD that barely get any love from them, or some of the more obscure System-32 games (Outrunners) that have yet to see any proper re-release.

They just let those games languish while porting Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage.....1.......for the millionth time. Where the hell is the Saturn Mini, Sega?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
This is a common misconception. Does the N64 stick suck because it wears out too easily? YES.

Does it suck because it's a poor instrument? NO. It's the best damn stick on any controller since the 90's.

Sorry, you have to bring a absurdly strong proof to convince me. As a user and lover of N64, your statement couldn't be more wrong. It was a pain to play Mario 64, let alone Zelda because the analog weared so damn easly. And we had 1 controller for EACH brother(I have 2 more brothers) and all of them act the same way. In order to play normally we had to try playing diagonally.

If you had used GC controller, I would totally agree. But N64? Cheesuz christ I can't even believe someone would call that piece of crap a good thing, sorry but thats a big NOPE.

Well, if you don't like it....don't pay the sub :)

Good for Nintendo, they value their IPs and history.

People these days want everything for free, go play it on a emulator then.

Day 1!, also want 4 n64 controllers!!!
I don't care for the N64 stuff, but this is only a handful of games. For the Genesis stuff, it can be obtained at reasonable prices elsewhere for a couple of dollars (one time payment).
shopping

Nintendo has serious nerves putting that kind of thing behind an expensive subscription service... Their service makes GamePass look like a steal!

imagine Sony making u pay extra to play psx on ps+/PSNow
imagine Microsoft starting to ask money for BC ontop of XBL/Gamepass

Imagine Nintendo actually doing that and people cheering for it.
This right here. I can imagine a lot, but never imagined Nintendo was so miserable. Genesis games. Genesis games they already sell in their own digital store, 50 in a collection for $15 (I bought that collection on PS4 for $10). This is nothing. No value. Nothing. I paid 2 cents for each game in that collection, and I already owned a similar collection back on PS3. And they think they're adding value that people will pay a (pricier) subscription to get access to that? Oh and subscribers have the "privilege" to be able to buy a N64 and Genesis wireless controller. Wow. $50 for a piece of plastic a Chinese factory makes that shit for 10 cents. Laughable.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This right here. I can imagine a lot, but never imagined Nintendo was so miserable. Genesis games. Genesis games they already sell in their own digital store, 50 in a collection for $15 (I bought that collection on PS4 for $10). This is nothing. No value. Nothing. I paid 2 cents for each game in that collection, and I already owned a similar collection back on PS3. And they think they're adding value that people will pay a (pricier) subscription to get access to that? Oh and subscribers have the "privilege" to be able to buy a N64 and Genesis wireless controller. Wow. $50 for a piece of plastic a Chinese factory makes that shit for 10 cents. Laughable.

Well said. At this point it's cheaper and downright better to get an Series S and ignore Nintendo for the time being. Pretty fucking sad the way Nintendo is raping it's very brand I grew up loving so much

Last edited:

HF2014

The sad thing is everybody would pay 10$ per games they really want and actualy own them. No way im going to sub for that…

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

This... cannot be. Not in 2021.
Why would they bother with downloading 2 different ROMs off the internet for the same game, in a world where anyone remotely interested in this service obviously understands English?
They can’t do that. They can’t.

(Padme: ...they can’t, right?)

Preach.

Tried Banjo-Tooie and Jet Force Gemini in Rare Replay. The first-person aiming sections are borderline impossible without the N64 stick.

Including these at an additional cost is a bit insulting.
Why?
Up until yesterday, people were bitching about NSO being useless. N64 and Genesis ROMs don’t make it suddenly more ”useful”. And Nintendo were going to up the price anyway, so they did the right thing upping it only for the people who are actually interested in this feature. Imagine if they increased the price for everyone - now those people would be bitching even more. At least now they can still (not) subscribe for €20 a year, and those who only use the service to play online don’t have to pay more if they’re not interested in retro games.

It goes to show that Nintendo isn’t the island some people believe. They read forums and social. They know what you’re bitching about. And they’re sooo happy to troll you all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MacReady13

I love it BUT, I'll say it again as it bears repeating- Why can we not purchase these games instead of having them tied to a FUCKING SUB SERVICE? Again, if this is what the future of gaming is going to become then they can all fuck right off with this shit! I want to be able to purchase these games and play them offline whenever and wherever I am! Isn't that supposed to be the joy of portability?

Lunarorbit

This is another reason why I have no problem pirating Nintendo games. I jail broke my nes classic. This is just BS at this point on their part.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
He just told you that it can work outside of the subscription. lol
And why would you even believe that?
Well, I didn't sat he lied or anything, just that it would've been misinformation from my part.

Well for once, because it's Nintendo. Who would've thought that someone would expand their online sub by making an additional online sub?

Isn't the controller missing two buttons and a stick for being a true joy con? Thats gotta limit them somehow in most games.

BlackTron

I love it BUT, I'll say it again as it bears repeating- Why can we not purchase these games instead of having them tied to a FUCKING SUB SERVICE? Again, if this is what the future of gaming is going to become then they can all fuck right off with this shit! I want to be able to purchase these games and play them offline whenever and wherever I am! Isn't that supposed to be the joy of portability?

Nintendo is more interested in the joy of your money. FOREVER.

Basically, they knew that if they set up a VC on Switch for all the same stuff to get bought AGAIN, people would start to call BS on how they have to rebuy the same old game over and over. Mass market is accustomed to phones now. Where you buy a game once and it's on your account forever. If Nintendo did that, they could never sell you SMB1 again. This is like their worst nightmare of all time. The idea that everyone be given access to a game, and it never goes away, even when you move on from old hardware. They are more afraid of that, than Jennifer Scheurle is of someone having receipts.

So, how to monetize all the IP without giving away the store? Subscription service. I'm not so sure I'm gonna bite...the saving grace is online, but then that's canceled out from the fact that it's only like 8 games...I'm more interested in the controller. If you can use it on other devices. If it doesn't work properly with the 35th Mario collection they can go fuck themselves I'm done lol.

Now you know why it was timed by the way...to give more value to the subscription service being the only way to buy access to SM64. I wish they could have at least done the same for Ocarina of Time and do a similar thing for Zelda 35 but instead we get the opportunity to buy SS for 60 bucks. OOT only if they can tap your bank account monthly.

In short, they are whoring out their shit which they always have done but it's getting to an extreme level and really annoying. I really need Metroid Dread to kick me in the balls and reaffirm that Nintendo is the dominant one in this relationship because MEH.

Top Bottom