• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 and SEGA Genesis games coming to Nintendo Switch Online

BlackTron

OK, but that’s too many “if”s and “I want thing”s.

You know what you‘re getting for your money here. Nothing is being hidden.

The point remains: subscribing to NSO for their retro games service, for the entirety of the Switch’s lifetime, would still cost less than buying all those games individually. Games you’ve probably bought at least once on VC in the last 15 years.

Here's the thing though, I don't want these games on Switch just to have it on the latest game system. I want them on Switch because it's the hardware that (finally) ticks every possible box making it an ideal place to consolidate old games. If you buy Aria of Sorrow on WiiU, you might buy it again just to get away from having to deal with its clunk to start the game. So I never got that version and stuck with the GBA cart. I got the new collection because now I have no-BS definitive versions of the games, playable on both TV and portable. On a system with a snappy UI and instant on/off sleep. For that reason I will probably NEVER buy these games again because "we got there". I never bought any of the millions of versions of Sonic 2 since Genesis, until the Switch version...same with Aladdin/Lion King. Just because I like amassing all my favorite titles in one place, with a seamless TV/portable transition. So if these Switch games do not stay tied to a Nintendo account that will work on their next hardware, I would just continue using Switch for these games. But I'm fine with that because I'm comfortable that Switch is good enough.

I have a lot of games on Wii VC from NES SNES and 64, that I wouldn't buy again on a console because there's no marginal benefit. The capability to play em on TV is already there. I would buy them again on Switch to tick EVERY box, max out convenience and get everything in one place with a portable option, but at that point, a future platform will have no value left to add to an old ass game. They know this and that's why we have the subscription service. If I got OOT on Switch it's the last time I ever buy it.

Neff

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: RNG
I really don’t know why there can’t be an option to buy these game separately. Also I’m still salty Nintendo didn’t have some sort of ambassador program to transfer WiiU VC purchases to the Switch. You’d think it would be the least they could for loyal customers, but nah Iwata died and now Nintendo is full on corporate profit margin nickel and dimers.

Goalus

I really don’t know why there can’t be an option to buy these game separately.
Because it looks like they have realized that it's becoming more and more difficult to sell you the same old games each console generation over and over again.
The solution is to not sell them at all - in this way the users (I won't be one of them) still have to pay over and over again for the same old games.

Here's the thing though, I don't want these games on Switch just to have it on the latest game system. I want them on Switch because it's the hardware that (finally) ticks every possible box making it an ideal place to consolidate old games. If you buy Aria of Sorrow on WiiU, you might buy it again just to get away from having to deal with its clunk to start the game. So I never got that version and stuck with the GBA cart. I got the new collection because now I have no-BS definitive versions of the games, playable on both TV and portable. On a system with a snappy UI and instant on/off sleep. For that reason I will probably NEVER buy these games again because "we got there". I never bought any of the millions of versions of Sonic 2 since Genesis, until the Switch version...same with Aladdin/Lion King. Just because I like amassing all my favorite titles in one place, with a seamless TV/portable transition. So if these Switch games do not stay tied to a Nintendo account that will work on their next hardware, I would just continue using Switch for these games. But I'm fine with that because I'm comfortable that Switch is good enough.

I have a lot of games on Wii VC from NES SNES and 64, that I wouldn't buy again on a console because there's no marginal benefit. The capability to play em on TV is already there. I would buy them again on Switch to tick EVERY box, max out convenience and get everything in one place with a portable option, but at that point, a future platform will have no value left to add to an old ass game. They know this and that's why we have the subscription service. If I got OOT on Switch it's the last time I ever buy it.
i want them because i never had a Wii U. or a Wii.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I think it sucks they will charge more for N64 and MD roms, when the pricing of the online already is a joke for what they offer there. I think the pads are expensive, but they look great to use them with PC emulators (I assume they will be USB+Bluetooth).
I got my subscription for £14 a year in the UK from cdkeys when it first launched. I think for that the service they offer is great. I get a ton of NES and SNES games to play in portable mode then cloud saves and the ability to play MK8D, Smash and Splatoon online. Never had an issue with lag admittedly I don’t play a ton of online.

If they were to up it officially to say £25 but I was able to get it for £20 on cdkeys then I think it’s still a great deal considering the price of N64 games on eBay etc and versus £50 a year for XBLG / PS Plus.

Last edited:

Rykan

Europe getting the PAL versions of these games at 50hz is such a Nintendo thing to do lol.
It isn't just them though. PS2 games on PS4/5 are also the 50hz versions. It's probably because they have already been rated and the language options are included.

Cutty Flam

Banned
N64.jpg

SegaShack

So glad I keep my old games and consoles. Seriously folks, never trust companies to do right with digitial rereleases.

Imagine the people that bought the same games on 3DS, Wii, and Wii U VC and now pay a monthly fee to access those games?

Last edited:

lucius

Also the genesis/mega drive collection was on sale recently on PS4 and Switch I got both versions it’s great, quick save/load good filters for console great lineup only Sonic 3 not being there bothers me because of some music thing.

GamePass, PS Now, PS+, EA Play, Nintendo Online, Games with Gold, etc. It's only going to pile up further.

I don't like this future. Sure, they each sound great on paper, but I can only play one game at a time. I just want to buy the games I want to play, when I want to play them.

There are tons of NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and several other old games I'd love to play on Switch. But, I'm not even given the option here. I get what Nintendo gives us or is willing to pay for from third-party publishers (which isn't much - where are you SquareEnix?).

Umbasaborne

Banned
Worth it alone for Banjo Kazooie finally being back on a Nintendo system where it belongs, IMO.

Clueless Movie Aww GIF by filmeditor
I dissagree. While ms hasnt done
Much in the way of new games. The xbox versions are the definitive versions of kazooie and tooie. Excellent quality of life changes and they run at 4k 60 fps. Thats more than nintendo would have done with those games. They wont even do it for their own re-releases

All I can say when I see this list is fuck you :messenger_beaming:

Meanwhile actual modders..

Nintendo has realized that they are “ nostalgia dealers”.

People buy there products because they have great memories growing up with them so Nintendo knows they don’t need to actually “enhance” anything for there products to sell.

The problem is people will keep buying everything so to Nintendo, it’s like “why would they waste money to improve anything lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Much in the way of new games. The xbox versions are the definitive versions of kazooie and tooie. Excellent quality of life changes and they run at 4k 60 fps. Thats more than nintendo would have done with those games. They wont even do it for their own re-releases
I know right?? ffs lets ignore the 4K remasters.. Rare bundle or the complete conkers bad fur day. Xbox did what nintendo never wanted to do.
and as the cherry on the shit sundae rent out FUCKING ROMS

Last edited:
I'm with many of you that this all took way too long, Nintendo are greedy assholes when they're winning, and that the expansion pack is complete bullshit. There's shit like the Anbernic devices, Retroid Pocket, etc (though the emulation can be dodgy at times). But all it's going to come down for me is the cost of this expansion pack. $20 a year for Nintendo Online isn't that bad if there's a handful of SNES/NES games you would've paid $5 for on the eShop. If this upgrade is going to be the value of what I would have paid for a handful of my favorite N64 games, then I'll buy it once for the year then drop my subscription once I'm done with them.

Yes, I am well aware that I'm accepting defeat from big Nintendo business money lovers. I know I'd no longer be able to play once I drop the sub, but that's what emulation is for. It's a risk to pay subs or buy digital anywhere with a risk of losing them forever.

Last edited:
It could be better, if Donkey Kong 64 and Road Rash 64 were there at launch I probably wouldn't be able to shut up. That would be a 10/10 launch lineup
id add Kirby 64, Banjo and Paper Mario, but hey atleast were getting those later on.... there's still a chance we get those two aswell.
All I can say when I see this list is fuck you :messenger_beaming:

Meanwhile actual modders..

to be fair, Nintendo wants to give us the games EXACTLY how they looked and played back in the N64 because it's easie-i mean in order to preserve the original experience.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I was always fond of the N64 graphics for most games. It may sound strange to hear this but the N64 OoT and MM look way better than the 3DS versions to me. They never needed to be cleaned up and the look made those games unique imo

Nozz-A-La

I was so sure they’d include Wave Race in the lineup, but no, and not even listed in their future releases. Where’s the Wave Race love?

Very happy to see Mario Tennis and Mario Golf though as I was disappointed by the latest versions.

BlackTron

I was always fond of the N64 graphics for most games. It may sound strange to hear this but the N64 OoT and MM look way better than the 3DS versions to me. They never needed to be cleaned up and the look made those games unique imo

I have the 3DS version of OOT and I only made it 2 dungeons in before putting it away forever. It came with the Zelda 3DS I had the chance to buy at a good price. But I found that didn't want to play this game on a tiny portable screen, with a control stick nub, with graphics bastardized by a third party company.

Link's animations are especially bad which I was reminded of watching a video today. But the original N64 game could use a few cleaned up textures, higher res and better anti aliasing. In other words it would be perfect if it got the treatment Mario 64 did for the 35th collection...I liked how the game was EXTREMELY faithful while cleaning up the really shitty textures, it's obvious with paintings on the wall.

I convinced myself it was safe to hope they would do a similar collection for Zelda 35...I'm an idiot.

Saber

Gold Member
It may sound strange to hear this but the N64 OoT and MM look way better than the 3DS versions to me.

Easy to believe in that when only a very very few characters models where reworked in the 3DS edition. This excluding the dumbfied boss decisions, changing in the bank locations, etc. It would be better for Nintendo to forget this was ever made. Still never progressed in the game past the first dungeon.

Oh yeah I already forgot the big brain excuse of meme, as if anyone is going through houses(or forums) yelling at people to stop having fun.

Like I aways said, if people like to swim in the mud because is fun who am I to say they're wrong? Go for it.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Last time I played Tooie, it wasn't 60fps. It's too painfully obvious on an OLED TV. Has there been a fps patch?

RPS37

I really wanted N64 games on the Switch, but I already can play many of the games on offer elsewhere.

Mario 64 in the anniversary bundle, Zelda OOT on my 3DS, Starfox on my 3DS, Banjo on my Xbox….

Cutty Flam

Banned
Easy to believe in that when only a very very few characters models where reworked in the 3DS edition. This excluding the dumbfied boss decisions, changing in the bank locations, etc. It would be better for Nintendo to forget this was ever made. Still never progressed in the game past the first dungeon.
I’ve never played the 3DS remakes but I did heat that they left out some things. You know you have a classic when the game is perfectly fine as is. That’s the case with a lot of N64 games. Like OoT, MM, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Super Mario 64 to name some. Nothing really to add because they’ve nearly been perfected as games already

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’m curious how the servers will handle the online play though, especially with Mario Kart 64 which will offer 4 players the chance to race against each other or play Battle on the four Battle courses

Saber

Gold Member
I’ve never played the 3DS remakes but I did heat that they left out some things. You know you have a classic when the game is perfectly fine as is. That’s the case with a lot of N64 games. Like OoT, MM, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Kazooie, Paper Mario, Super Mario 64 to name some. Nothing really to add because they’ve nearly been perfected as games already

During the gameplay, you get a strong feeling of weirdness and lazyness when you compare Link's models with other NPCs.

But it's a good thing you mentioned Bad Fur Day. Conker Live and Reloaded was a outstanding work, improving basically everything, every model, some funny and decent changes(like Conkers main weapon, cloth changing during movie scenarios).

Cutty Flam

Banned
Conker Live and Reloaded was a outstanding work, improving basically everything, every model, some funny and decent changes(like Conkers main weapon, cloth changing during movie scenarios).
I like what they did with that game. My brother played it one summer and it looked great so I asked for that as a gift for next year’s birthday gift and played it on the N64. I wish there was online still; never did get a chance to try it on his Xbox and tried a second time with Gamepass w/ the Rare Replay but it wasn’t available. Xbox did well by Rare, those were good versions of the games. I beat Banjo-Kazooie with 200/200 gamerscore on the Xbox and it was as much fun as I had remembered on the N64

blacktout

I was so sure they’d include Wave Race in the lineup, but no, and not even listed in their future releases. Where’s the Wave Race love?

This surprised me too. Wave Race and Pilotwings are probably the weirdest omissions as far as first party games are concerned. I guess they're probably going to try to keep a more consistent release schedule than with the NES and SNES services, since there has to be an incentive for people to remain subscribed to the expansion pack, so that meant withholding some of the no brainers at launch.

Top Bottom