• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nadella estimates that Microsoft has invested a total of $100B in Bing and admits that 'Google' is the most common search query

Kilau

003.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Google could claim to be the only search engine, bing is that neighbor that doesn’t do their yard work.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The thing is, in a lot of ways, Bing is a better search engine. Google is not what it used to be, and it is very censored on political/controversial topics. I think there is a "comfort" that people have in using Google, in that Google search results are the default, and if they dont use Google, they are missing something. And this was true when Bing came out, but it's really not anymore. It is the opposite if anything.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I use bing for rewards and now they have the AI stuff built into it, it's actually pretty good.

But, inexplicably, I will sometimes search for something and not get anything useful, so do the same thing in Google and it just works immediately.

To some degree, catching up to the data that Google have is the kind of task that presumably costs billions, but I wonder if it can be caught.

Similarly, I read that China's extreme data gathering means they have so much data to exploit, that it should make their AI endeavours world leading.

Mistake

I use bing for rewards and now they have the AI stuff built into it, it's actually pretty good.

But, inexplicably, I will sometimes search for something and not get anything useful, so do the same thing in Google and it just works immediately.

To some degree, catching up to the data that Google have is the kind of task that presumably costs billions, but I wonder if it can be caught.

Similarly, I read that China's extreme data gathering means they have so much data to exploit, that it should make their AI endeavours world leading.
Nah, china internet is filtered and full of shitty ads. Any AI they come up with will be worse than chat gpt with its programmed biases.

Or, ya know, they'll just take an existing one and call it something else

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I use Bing because they bribe me with MS points that turn into Gamepass (more of them burning money on it)

But there have been countless times I flip through 3-4 pages of results that have jack shit to do with anything I’m looking for then I go to Google and it finds it top result.

Hey MS maybe if you spent 1 billion on making it work instead of on bribing people then you wouldn’t have to bribe people.

Google is like Apple - what they made may not have been the first, it may no longer be all that innovative, but it just works. And it works super well. If it wasn’t working well I would start using something else. I can tell the difference when I’ve accidentally used bing or yahoo a few times. And all the other additions like flights, shopping, etc. I’ve started using versus the traditional websites like Priceline/orbitz.

Google is just damn good at what they do. Yes Google is making money and getting my data. But I’m also finding what I was looking for. And if I’m being tricked, I can’t tell

Last edited:

Kadve

Bing's image search is way, way better than googles but its mostly the same thing otherwise.

HoodWinked

FUCK SEO, google has gotten progressive worse. Its why now when you actually want the right result you have to put reddit at the end of your search query.

But also fuck the project manager at Google that turned image search into complete dogshit. No one gives two fucks about google lens.

Tams

I've used Bing for years now.

The results used to be pretty bad, but they've improved a lot. Images was the first to get better. I switched to DuckDuckGo and Escosia for a while, but learnt that they just use Bing anyway, just with added social fluff.

Since ChatGPT came out, I've used that (sometimes via Bing Chat) for a lot of queries, especially ones that aren't critical.

Halcyon

I actually strongly dislike googles search algorithm anymore. If the query is not something about a product or a purchase and is about information, the serp is garbage. Either it's terrible blog content or it's shit mainstream news. I mostly use it to find reddit posts on things although I also generally don't like reddit. *old man yells at cloud*

Roxkis_ii

I use Bing every once in a while and always end up going back to Google. The results are just better for my searches.

It's pretty telling when they have to bribe people to use Bing...

winjer

Gold Member
I have been using DuckDuckGo for a few years now. Also tried Brave search, but I prefer the Duck.
For the most part it has been very reliable. Rarely do I have to search of anything on Google.
Google search has been getting noticeably worse. And Youtube search is absolute trash, to the point of being borderline unusable.

Z O N E

I switched to Bing YEARS ago after Google became absolute garbage.

Plus, the Microsoft Rewards is the cherry on top. Think I made a previous post how I got a lot of stuff through the points.

Also, pays off Game Pass Ultimate for me too. So, no brainer.

Top Bottom