• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name some games that get hated way too much

Mondai

Gold Member
Pokemon Sword/Shield: Are they the best Pokemon games ever? No, but they are still really good games (to me at least), they get too much hate , while it sucks that there is DLC, I don't really care at this point.

Kingdom Come Deliverance: Its super janky but its one of the most immersive games for me, I like the fact that you start out as a nobody and you slowly build yourself up.

Dead Space 3: It is the worst game in the series, but its still one of my favorite Co-Op experiences.

Dark Souls 2 gets a lottt of hate but I think its the 2nd best game in the series and the most replayable one.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Pokemon Sword/Shield: Are they the best Pokemon games ever? No, but they are still really good games (to me at least), they get too much hate , while it sucks that there is DLC, I don't really care at this point.

Kingdom Come Deliverance: Its super janky but its one of the most immersive games for me, I like the fact that you start out as a nobody and you slowly build yourself up.

Dead Space 3: It is the worst game in the series, but its still one of my favorite Co-Op experiences.

Dark Souls 2 gets a lottt of hate but I think its the 2nd best game in the series and the most replayable one.

Wait outside of media outlets and some very specific forums, where the hell is Kingdom come deliverance getting hate? I mean maybe at launch, that thing was pretty much broken and hardly any PC's could run it, but they turned it around.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Who hates on this game? Show yourself and face my wrath

Also Halo 5

Saber

Gold Member
Lmao, Pokemon Sword and Shield got legitimate criticized for a bunch of lies and very outdated visuals. It deserved every criticism, regardless of being fun or not. If people likes to be made of fools, thats on them. The fact that you don't care made this even more silly.

I also never heard of such hate for Kingdom Come. Not my cup of tea, but never saw any hate around here.

Now a game that gets way too much hate out of nothing is Days Gone. And I'm not saying this game is great...but theres something in the deep layers of this game that triggers people.

Last edited:

Mondai

Gold Member
Lmao, Pokemon Sword and Shield got legitimate criticized for a bunch of lies and very outdated visuals. It deserved every criticism, regardless of being fun or not. If people likes to be made of fools, thats on them. The fact that you don't care made this even more silly.

I also never heard of such hate for Kingdom Come. Not my cup of tea, but never saw any hate around here.

Now a game that gets way too much hate out of nothing is Days Gone. And I'm not saying this game is great...but theres something in the deep layers of this game that triggers people.
It just my opinion :) , Pokemon Sword/Shield are good , people just bitch too much.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Aside from KC: D, all those games in the OP deserve all the hate they could get. Low and cheap ass efforts to milk on the success of previous entries.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness was one of the first PS2 games I got for the system and, despite it being universally panned, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it the best in the series? Not by a long shot. Did it deserve the hate? Hell no.

legacy24

The Outer Worlds: Yes this isn't a big triple A rpg but I'm still having fun playing it, there's some genuinely good writing and good quests sprinkled throughout the game. Having this on gamepass is also a huge plus I wouldn't pay full price for this game but if u can get it for cheap and like space rpgs it's worth a try.

DonJorginho

Banned
this is so hilarious to me. so if i just ignore that there's nothing to do in the game it's a good game?
There were good things to do in the game, just not enough of them, the raids were fun, just not enough of them.

The gameplay carried a lack of content as the gameplay itself was fun.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
To add to the topic: Dragon's Dogma. Lots of people marked it as shit just for being a 7/10, which I guess must be because the game feels rushed and lacks content. But I don't know, the content the game actually has is the most fun I've had in a game like this. Really great gameplay and nice exploration.

I respectfully disagree :)
That's fair. I was just really disappointed with both DS3 and DS2... Dead Space 3 and Dark Souls 2, specially the later. I mean, yeah, they are nice enough games on their own, but compared to what cane before they really fell short.

Never cared too much about Pokemon tbh.

Last edited:

ToxicWeeb

Banned
unUJ6Nf.jpg

It's alright. It has many flaws but it's far from being an awful game. With a few tweaks it could've been great.

SCB3

I can't disagree, Pokemon SwSh brought a lot of people back and Legends is looking amazing, I've gotten more into Pokemon since I took a break between Ruby/Sapphire and Sun/Moon, so keeping up with them since then has been great, I've add more that the DP remakes get too much hate as well, I loved them, the only reason I stopped this week is that I don't see the point of the post game since Shield has all the legendaries anyway.

KC:D gets shit on for not being "Woke" despite being set in Medievel Eastern Europe ffs

Dead Space 3 is a fantastic game without MTX, its worth replaying imo

With Souls I feel like everyones first is their favorite, for me that happened to be Dark Souls 2 as well, I got more into 1 after and the lore is better in 1, but 2 is a lot of fun

As for mine:

Marvels Avengers - The SP game is really good and a blast, not Guardians good(my GotY last year) but a fun 12 hours, the Endgame is fun for a while, but after 50 hours in, I'm kinda done, Black Panther and Spiderman reinvigorated me for a while, but meh

Destiny 2 - it gets tarred with the brush that its predatory or costs too much, but the way I see it, the Expansions cost about the same as a new game, a bit cheaper and I get a lot of playtime out of it, and not forced playtime either, I am genuinally having fun, yet I see FF14 and WoW seem to get away with charging for its expansions and it never gets mentioned

Call of Duty - I don't understand the hatred they get, to me its a fun 10 hour blast of good Hollywood action and a good, fun MP casually, I played a lot of Vanguard and was not seeing what others were hating about it, the MTX are non intrusive and tbh I've unlocked most of the stuff for 1 gun, 1 gun, and theres a lot more to go if I wanted to do that

STARSBarry

Gold Member
unUJ6Nf.jpg

It's alright. It has many flaws but it's far from being an awful game. With a few tweaks it could've been great.

I mean... I dont remember it being hated in the community, I remember it more being a dislike... its one of those less is more deals.

Everything Resident Evil 0 adds detracts from Resident Evil, the more you try and explain everything the less intresting it is, quite franky if Resident Evil needed a prequel, it wasent this one. Its one of the reasons I disliked Doom Eternal compared to Doom 2016, the game never stopped trying to explain every little thing, and the more you found out about Doom Guy and where his powers came from, the less intresting the character became..

Game play was intresting though, trying to manage two separate characters and their inventory, ammo, health etc was an experiment. Until Resident Evil 5 it wasent used again.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
TLoU2. I swear the hatred is some inside joke I'm not in on because this game is mind-bogglingly good. I legit don't understand how you can't be blown away by it. It's significantly better than the first game at literally everything.

It's the plot and characters that I absolutely hated and I imagine it's the same for a lot of people. Everything else is great, but it's primarily a narrative-focused game which is why it was so divisive, not because the core game itself is bad (although I'd still say it's overrated as a package).

Guilty_AI

Cyberpunk 2077. I can understand complaints about bugs or old-console performance, but the game is legitimately good. Can't understand people who say theres nothing to do in the game when the world is drowning in unique side-quests, gigs, etc; everywhere, with their own narratives, voice-lines, level design and so on. The complaints about it being 'edgy' make no sense either, its rather emotional a lot of the time. The overall level and mission design is also a punch above the stuff you usually see in these kind of games, definitely miles ahead GTA, which it often gets compared to in those meme youtube videos focusing on pointless, inconsequential details.
Also, Night City's enviroment is amazing, and something you'll be hard pressed to find in any other open world game with the way it looks and "feels", the verticality, all the nooks and crannies, etc. Closest one would probably be Sleeping Dogs i think.

TLoU2. I swear the hatred is some inside joke I'm not in on because this game is mind-bogglingly good. I legit don't understand how you can't be blown away by it. It's significantly better than the first game at literally everything.
Its cause the narrative is big dummy dumb-dumb

Last edited:

Fbh

Agreed on Dead Space 3, it's not a good Dead Space sequel but it's a really fun coop shooter
Bioshock infinite? yeah it didn't live up to its potential but I still think it's a fun game in a cool setting and with an interesting story.

I thought the story wasn't as good as the first, and the bad pacing and inflated runtime really hurt my enjoyment. Also no multiplayer which was great in 1.
I mean I don't hate the game but it's still prefer the original.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Destiny - probably the best co-op multiplayer game on last-gen. Feature-rich 6 player raids and a totally new (at the time) take on the FPS genre.

First year was a bumpy road - but all who kept playing through year 3 know how much content this game had.

Sadly Destiny 2 went on another path in pursuit of more money, introducing season passes and annual deletion of content.

Sakura

Cyberpunk. I played it on PC at launch and it was a good game.
I understand the game has (had?) tons of bugs and performance issues on last gen consoles, but the game itself was legitimately good.
Then again, I don't follow pre-launch stuff, so I didn't really have any specific expectations going in. Maybe people had just hyped themselves too much.

Concern

RDR 2 I never knew it was so "bad" till I read posts on here trashing the game. Besides the sluggish controls, its one of the best open world games out. Might be Rockstar's peak imo.

GTAIV same as well. Actually my favorite gta story and physics were top notch.

On another note. It looks like I'm really gonna have to play Kingdom Come judging by the posts here.

Swift_Star

Banned
Kingdom hearts get hated way too much specially by people who has no intention of playing the game, don’t like anime and jrpg. It’s really annoying. I don’t go out of my way to shit on fps or asscreed. But some people can’t handle themselves and have to make unpleasant comments that adds nothing to the discussion. It’s really annoying in that other place where people talks about gaming writing as if they know shit about it

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Kingdom hearts get hated way too much specially by people who has no intention of playing the game, don’t like anime and jrpg. It’s really annoying. I don’t go out of my way to shit on fps or asscreed. But some people can’t handle themselves and have to make unpleasant comments that adds nothing to the discussion. It’s really annoying in that other place where people talks about gaming writing as if they know shit about it

I think you just have an actual persecution complex here, because most of those people have played Kingdom Hearts which is why their making fun of it. You can't make fun of Darkness, darkness, light, heart, darkness, Friendship, BEES!!! plot unless you at least have attempted to wade through it.

Two was definitely the best of the bunch though, however it started the trend of having you play side games on other handheld systems to get actual important story beats, because the main game your playing forgot to include any.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's hard to tell which games get too much hate because "too much" can't really be quantified. Criticism of any game is justified to an extent. Not everyone likes every game.

GTA IV. A crime game set in NYC is supposed to be dark and gritty.

TLOU2. Even if you hated the story the actual gameplay was a huge step up from the first one.
I don't see as much criticism for the dark and gritty nature of GTA IV as much as I see criticism for the hamfisted way that the game portrays Niko trying to navigate the grimy landscape while balancing the "normal" double life he's leading. There's a reason the bowling meme exists. The dark parts are the part Rockstar got right, IMO.

For TLOU2 the actual gameplay was great. The thing I see criticism for most often is the story and I think that criticism is actually valid. Especially the way it ended. But that's a matter of personal tastes. I don't think not liking it is the same as hating it. It's the best game I didn't like. But I certainly didn't hate it.

Swift_Star

Banned

I think you just have an actual persecution complex here, because most of those people have played Kingdom Hearts which is why their making fun of it. You can't make fun of Darkness, darkness, light, heart, darkness, Friendship, BEES!!! plot unless you at least have attempted to wade through it.

Two was definitely the best of the bunch though, however it started the trend of having you play side games on other handheld systems to get actual important story beats, because the main game your playing forgot to include any.
How is persecution complex if every single KH thread is filled with vitriol? And nowadays you don’t need to buy handhelds, the whole series is available on one single package usually for less than $30 on sales.

Last edited:
unUJ6Nf.jpg

Praise the sun indeed. This, so much.

To all the people in NeoGAF threads that keep bitching/whining about wanting a "fixed camera" Resident Evil... Well, this here is a fixed camera Resident Evil. And in my opinion, a pretty damn good one. A couple of missteps away from being a masterpiece, actually.

But the community reaction -- which more importantly was reflected in the sales -- was partially what led to the demise of fixed camera Resident Evil games.

GymWolf

Most of the games listed in this topic deserve the criticism and they are not really hated outside of forums.

If they were really hated, you would think that ubisoft could fix their shitty combat systems or rockstar would fix their ps1 tier mission design just to name 2 examples from this topic.

Top Bottom