• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASCAR Racer Proves Video Game ‘Wall-Riding’ Works In The Real World

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The move had his fellow competitors shaking their heads — some in wonderment and others in disagreement — and a packed house at the historic track rising with a disbelieving cheer of approval. For Chastain, he was still trying to wrap his own head around how a maneuver his brother, Chad, had used on him in a NASCAR game from 2005 for the Nintendo GameCube had somehow worked in real life.

“I never thought about it. Our prep this week, it never crosses my mind,” said Chastain, who ended up fifth after clocking a 100.483-mph lap with his full-send move. “I’ve done a lot of sim work this week, a lot of iRacing, a lot of stuff, laps here virtually. Never once did it cross my mind or ever try it. I want to make that clear. The last time would have been a long time ago before I was even thinking about being a NASCAR driver …”

“I thought, why not? That’s a motto that some buddies and I have back home. We live by ‘why not?’ To apply that to the Cup Series in this scenario, there are rules. There are a lot of rules out here.

I didn’t know how it would all work out. I didn’t know if the physics would work to make it around the corner, but it did. I’m sure glad it did.”

Chastain will now race for his first championship next Sunday (3 p.m. ET, NBC, Peacock, MRN, SiriusXM), facing off against Joey Logano, Chase Elliott and Martinsville race winner Christopher Bell. The whirlwind turn of events comes in just his first year with the Trackhouse Racing bunch, which debuted just last season as a one-car effort.

Justin Marks, who signed on Pitbull as a co-owner when the team launched, said he was going to break down barriers in the stock-car world. Perhaps this was an interpretation of what he meant. Fortunately, the outside retaining wall and Turn 4 crossover gate held.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...ies-2022-playoffs-ross-chastain-martinsville/

Who says video games don't help you in life?
1633090530832.jpg

FNOIskAakAAUtv-

Obligatory xD

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Racing driver Ross Chastain has stunned the NASCAR world by pulling off a move you’d only expect possible in a video game. In the final lap of the 500-lap race, Chastain forced himself into the outside wall and stepped on the accelerator, going from 10th to 5th place in the final two turns and making his way into the NASCAR Cup Series title race and eliminating his opponent Denny Hamlin by 0.73 seconds.

If you’ve ever played a racing video game, you may be aware of the term ‘wall-riding’. Essentially it’s a controversial move where you purposely use the walls on the boundaries of the track to exploit the game’s unrealistic physics and power ahead of your opponents – what Chastain seems to have done in real life.

In a post-race interview, Chastain himself admitted the move was inspired by his days playing ‘NASCAR 2005’ on the Gamecube with his brother as a kid. He said of wall-riding that “you could get away with it” in the game, but that he “never knew if it would actually work” in an actual race – turns out the physics aren’t so unrealistic, given he was able to pull it off.

The move could have been incredibly dangerous, though, and the NASCAR driver admitted that he “let go of the wheel and hoped he wouldn’t catch the turn four access gate or something crazy,” which could have been game over.

Chastain’s move is bound to spark controversy, and we wonder how many other racers will attempt the move now that he’s shown it can be done successfully. Will NASCAR think up a deterrent for wall-riding, or will it become accepted as part of the game?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can't imagine anyone actually cares about or enjoys NASCAR. I mean, I know there are people who do, but I just can't for my life imagine it.

That might have nothing to do with this thread, I just had to get it off my chest.

Patrick S.

Banned
I can't imagine anyone actually cares about or enjoys NASCAR. I mean, I know there are people who do, but I just can't for my life imagine it.

That might have nothing to do with this thread, I just had to get it off my chest.
Watch this video about Dale Earnhardt and tell me this sport has no excitement or doesn’t create huge stars:

NASCAR sucks now but in the 90s it was unbelievably good. I recently started watching the 1993 season and am up to mid-1997 and it has been a blast. Really wish I watched it live back then (though it was on almost every week since my dad was into it, I just rarely sat down and watched it) because there is so much going on in the background between races that you don't get only watching them. I tried looking for scans of magazines or newspapers so I could read them along with watching but there just isn't a lot of stuff out there... I was surprised that archive.org has basically zero racing magazines from the 90s.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
NASCAR sucks now but in the 90s it was unbelievably good. I recently started watching the 1993 season and am up to mid-1997 and it has been a blast. Really wish I watched it live back then (though it was on almost every week since my dad was into it, I just rarely sat down and watched it) because there is so much going on in the background between races that you don't get only watching them. I tried looking for scans of magazines or newspapers so I could read them along with watching but there just isn't a lot of stuff out there... I was surprised that archive.org has basically zero racing magazines from the 90s.

I'm not really a motorsport fan at all to be honest, but at least in most other ones the cars turn in different directions, lol.

Crayon

That's a super sketchy move, I love it. The problem is houw stable is a 160 mph car when it's leaning on a wall. Who knows how your aero would work and who knows how much weight is being supported by the wall or how much damage it's going to cause etc.

He got away with it so I approve lol but seems super sketch to me.

I'm not really a motorsport fan at all to be honest, but at least in most other ones the cars turn in different directions, lol.
You definitely have to get in the mindset of NASCAR, I think for someone to ever get in to it they have to 1) pick a driver and follow them 2) learn a bit about just how "primitive" the cars are and how much skill there actually is keeping those things on the track. If you watch assuming that the cars are trivial to drive because they are sticking onto the track like an F1 car it will absolutely feel boring and uninteresting. I think the new cars have a lot more down force though.

Not trying to sell you on it or anything, just thinking out loud.

Patrick S.

Banned
You definitely have to get in the mindset of NASCAR, I think for someone to ever get in to it they have to 1) pick a driver and follow them 2) learn a bit about just how "primitive" the cars are and how much skill there actually is keeping those things on the track. If you watch assuming that the cars are trivial to drive because they are sticking onto the track like an F1 car it will absolutely feel boring and uninteresting. I think the new cars have a lot more down force though.

Not trying to sell you on it or anything, just thinking out loud.
It also helps to have seen Days of Thunder as a kid :)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Lasha

Nascar races around a quarter of its season on circuit tracks though. Oval racing has more action because drivers have multiple lines to select when going through the track. Circuit courses have one racing line and tend to be quite narrow. Oval racers can pass more easily and the leader of a race changes much more often than in circuit races. Formula 1 is the extreme of circuit racing where races are mostly decided in the lab and pit lane.

OT, drivers in Nascar attempt to wall ride somewhat frequently. The move seldom works because the loss of speed from hitting the wall almost always offsets the additional turning force the wall provides. The manuever is really only suited for a final turn since the car is likely to be undrivable afterwards.

bender

What time is it?

My dad used to record the events and just fast forward the tape to the crashes

Dural

That was one of the best things I've ever seen in NASCAR, Chastain just got himself a fan. Wanna bet that NASCAR is going to make that move illegal by next season?

Nascar races around a quarter of its season on circuit tracks though. Oval racing has more action because drivers have multiple lines to select when going through the track. Circuit courses have one racing line and tend to be quite narrow. Oval racers can pass more easily and the leader of a race changes much more often than in circuit races. Formula 1 is the extreme of circuit racing where races are mostly decided in the lab and pit lane.

OT, drivers in Nascar attempt to wall ride somewhat frequently. The move seldom works because the loss of speed from hitting the wall almost always offsets the additional turning force the wall provides. The manuever is really only suited for a final turn since the car is likely to be undrivable afterwards.

Thank you, so sick of people that have never watched or driven an oval course talk shit about it. If it's so fucking easy, why don't circuit racers just come to NASCAR and dominate and rake in the cash?

Lasha

That was one of the best things I've ever seen in NASCAR, Chastain just got himself a fan. Wanna bet that NASCAR is going to make that move illegal by next season?

Thank you, so sick of people that have never watched or driven an oval course talk shit about it. If it's so fucking easy, why don't circuit racers just come to NASCAR and dominate and rake in the cash?

I actually enjoy oval racing much more than circuit. I've probably done 500-600 hours in iRacing in various competitions. Endurance racing being the only exception since the major races are a different class of event entirely.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Well, NASCAR or the the team could make it illegal. Although, it'd be great to see him start the 2023 season and use this underdog on the final lap in every other race.

Likewise, I've heard people say, "what's so hard about driving in 'circles (which I believe they mean ovals)'?" Goodness, we're talking about a car that has to be piloted, can top 200 MPH, some tracks (Bristol, Talladega, Charlotte, Daytona et al) have had some brutal banks and yet some have had severe injuries during qualifications alone. Most tenured drivers started racing carts around 5-years old and few without that tenure are even allowed on those circuits. Just to get to the cup series a driver could spend 10-year or more working the smaller NASCAR circuits. The few younger drivers that make it there is because they were particularly skilled.

Hugare

Entered this thread expecting a car going sideways with 4 wheels on the wall, Mirror Edge wall running style

Reality is often disappointing

Trogdor1123

Go to a race. It is crazy fun… in many ways

I thought someone already did this in the 90's by incident because one of their right tires got screwed up.

Either way I'd rather watch airplanes race on the ground than watch NASCAR.

20cent

Banned

And that video proves that you don't even need skills ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom