• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Announces Development Delay on TLoU MP (MP Dev Team 'Significantly Scaled Down,' Bloomberg Reports)

yurinka

Because I'm hoping it's been in development for a while haha
The name isn't development hell, it's called normal AAA game development. Even if they almost mean the same.

SMS have a worse output
Yes, because SSM had less development teams than ND and specially Insomniac. Now SSM is supposed to have 2 if it's true that Cory's new IP pitch from late 20218 was greenlighted and are working on it.

Factions being in development hell doesnt surprise me.
It has been delayed to make changes, which doesn't mean it's in development hell.

Seems that Bungie reviewed the game suggested some changes to increase its player engagement, which means to ensure its servers aren't almost empty soon after release. They know a thing or two about this, because Destiny 2 has now more active players than ever, at least in Steam.

So they delayed it to implement them. That's all.

Development beginning 3 years after shipping TLOU2 does. What were they doing the last three years? Herman? Hello?
Are you serious or joking? These 3 years they have been developing this game.

Last edited:
half baked bullshit GIF

yurinka

We believe in Generation shit
In that interview he never said that they weren't going to make crossgen games. In fact he said there that they were going to continue supporting PS4 several years after PS5 release because most players were going to take several years to make the jump.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

This was actually the type of response I was looking for 😂

No, but seriously how much does this spin off really matter, and how long will it really last before “servers are shutting down next month”?

Why are we okay with a $10 price hike on full games…and now separating the multiplayer that was included in the full game to begin with before?

It’s not okay, and the longer people support this trash, the more trash will fold the market…

If you need evidence, rewatch the PS showcase.

Ev1L AuRoN

As someone who doesn't give a flying f*ck about that game, It's hard for me to care, I much rather see what Naughty Dog do next.

feynoob

Banned
But it *is* the studios first live service game. Of all the criticism, this is the weirdest one.
Think of it like halo infinite f2p.
The MP mode was baked inside of the sp game. But since 343i decided to make it standalone, it failed badly.
If MS had someone like bungie, they would have advised them not to publish that game, and save some face.

Puscifer

The fact is, game quality DONT MATTER to sony.
Bungie said that they found out the game is DOES NOT HAVE ABILITY TO KEEP THE PLAYER COMING BACK.

It might be the best game in the world but if it's not making money for 3 fucking years with players constantly engaging... then it's not enough.
I am sick of this maximizing profits. Everything has to be played forever. Good game is not enough
Where did you read this?

All I know is this is going to be the longest we've gone without getting a new Naughty Dog game by a fair amount.
2013- TLOU
2016 - Uncharted 4
2017 - Uncharted Lost Legacy
2020 - TLOU2

2023 now which is 3 years which is the longest we went before without getting a new game and we don't even have footage of what's next. I'd be shocked if we play a new Naughty Dog game prior to 2025 as I'm betting that single player game started up not that long ago. Yes there was TLOU Part 1 but that was apparently being done by someone else and then given to Naughty Dog to finish up and it wasn't a new game anyway. Maybe Neil needs to focus more on his studio and less on making TV shows.

Arkane says hi.

So basically everything has to be homogenised according to Bungie vision.

Naughty Dog should be given a chance to develop its own method of player engagement and retention.

Say what you will about Redfall, I don't think it will have issues with retention and engagement once it's firing on all cylinders with constant slew of updates. It feels good to explore and play.

So basically everything has to be homogenised according to Bungie vision.

Naughty Dog should be given a chance to develop its own method of player engagement and retention.

Say what you will about Redfall, I don't think it will have issues with retention and engagement once it's firing on all cylinders with constant slew of updates. It feels good to explore and play.
play station is already suffering from homogeneity between their games.

I don't think this PS can create a new Multiplayer/GaaS genre-experience.

even studios with MP expertise are struggling (Overwatch)

mrmustard

Banned
Months ago it i read they planned something like 'cinematic experience between players'. I guess Bungie told them it has low replay value and no long-term motivation, but that's what Sony wants.

Me after reading the ND statement and me after reading the Tweet from William R. Aguilar:

DUD82TY.jpg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well I hope in this case that means if there were aggressive monetization schemes being implemented, they are being stripped out. Even if that requires a delay to do so, it's better than putting a game out there that just comes off as insanely greedy and gating the vast majority of good content behind additional paywalls.

Although it would still be emblematic IMO that Sony have jumped into GaaS too fast too quickly, it'd at least signify they are making efforts to correct the mistakes before they take root among the gaming public.
I think it might be the opposite, i.e., Naughty Dog would be going easy on monetization, while Bungie suggested more aggressive and long-term-sustainable monetization tactics.

Overall, I think it came down to post-launch support. Naughty Dog was never great at that, while Bungie really is. ND likely did not have solid plans for post-launch support, which could make this game like a Halo Infinite.

I don't see Sony abandoning this project anytime soon. This IP is too big now, and TLOU Online is most likely to be successful among all their other new GaaS initiatives.

They will reassess, come up with a solid post-launch roadmap with support from Bungie (most likely based on Seasons and Expansion story drops), and release this game in 2-3 years.

On the other hand, I think it'd be a good for Sony to reassess whether they want studios like ND, SSM, SP, and Insomniac to make these GaaS games. I don't think they should be making them. Let specialized teams handle those games. For instance, they could expand Firewalk or Bungie and ask them to make an MP game in the TLOU or Ghost of Tsushima universe. AAA game development now takes way too long to be able to afford experimentations and learnings.

Varteras

Gold Member
I think it might be the opposite, i.e., Naughty Dog would be going easy on monetization, while Bungie suggested more aggressive and long-term-sustainable monetization tactics.

Overall, I think it came down to post-launch support. Naughty Dog was never great at that, while Bungie really is. ND likely did not have solid plans for post-launch support, which could make this game like a Halo Infinite.

I don't see Sony abandoning this project anytime soon. This IP is too big now, and TLOU Online is most likely to be successful among all their other new GaaS initiatives.

They will reassess, come up with a solid post-launch roadmap with support from Bungie (most likely based on Seasons and Expansion story drops), and release this game in 2-3 years.

On the other hand, I think it'd be a good for Sony to reassess whether they want studios like ND, SSM, SP, and Insomniac to make these GaaS games. I don't think they should be making them. Let specialized teams handle those games. For instance, they could expand Firewalk or Bungie and ask them to make an MP game in the TLOU or Ghost of Tsushima universe. AAA game development now takes way too long to be able to afford experimentations and learnings.

While I personally would not want to try something that is outside of my studio's forte, without having another of our usual projects in the works simultaneously, I think it also comes down to what the studio really wanted to do. If they decided on their own that they really wanted to pursue this, so be it. If that's what they were passionate about, let them pursue it. Don't force them to work on something they don't want to or tell them they can't try something they really want to. That's how you lose talent. That's how you stagnate your teams. Sony shouldn't be going around telling these studios "no" to what they want to work on. But, they should advise against it if they feel it might not be a good idea. With the understanding that should they waste a bunch of time and money, there are consequences.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is just the hardcore bubble who hate anything GAAS. I do too

Casuals have had the complete opposite response to the showcase

What, can you show me this opposite response to the showcase please? Becuase all I've heard personally from people in work etc was it wasn't that great.

cripterion

Did I dream or I read an interview a couple months back that it was looking awesome and it was gonna rock our socks off?

Perrott

Gold Member
If Naughty Dog's next game turns out to be The Last Of Us Part III, slated for 2025-2026, then I bet this MP project would not be a standalone release anymore but bundled into TLOU3 ala GTA V/GTAO or RDR2/RDO style.

what hurts the most is that so much time and effort is being put not even into a traditional bombastic single player experience that ND are best at

their resources are being poured into a fucking live service game, i hate the new era of PlayStation
It's my opinion this project was forced on them by the powers that be to be something far bigger than the original MP component of TLOU2. They are not a MP developer and its pretty obvious their hearts not in this. Seems the SP game has been in development for a while with a smaller team so hopefully we'll see that at some point soon.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
While I personally would not want to try something that is outside of my studio's forte, without having another of our usual projects in the works simultaneously, I think it also comes down to what the studio really wanted to do. If they decided on their own that they really wanted to pursue this, so be it. If that's what they were passionate about, let them pursue it. Don't force them to work on something they don't want to or tell them they can't try something they really want to. That's how you lose talent. That's how you stagnate your teams. Sony shouldn't be going around telling these studios "no" to what they want to work on. But, they should advise against it if they feel it might not be a good idea. With the understanding that should they waste a bunch of time and money, there are consequences.
Yeah, that's a good point.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of making these studios "games factory" rather than creative outlets.

Yoboman

What, can you show me this opposite response to the showcase please? Becuase all I've heard personally from people in work etc was it wasn't that great.
Just go on TikTok. They all think Spiderman 2 is the best thing ever, MGS3 is an exclusive and love CG trailers. They also lose their minds over Friday Night At Freddy's and Destiny 2 expansion Cayde 6 6 return

This is how the more casual gamer is different to us

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If this where 343 this thread would be 1,437 pages of venom.

They should probably shut down naughty Dog over this.
Please share more terrible takes 😄. It's hilarious you're trying to paint as if Naughty Dog and 343i are of the same caliber.

Naughty Dog's last game was a 93 MC that won 322 GOTY awards from media and gamers, which became the record-holder for the most number of GOTY awards ever in history, and sold over 10 million copies in quick time.

Please share more terrible takes 😄. It's hilarious you're trying to paint as if Naughty Dog and 343i are of the same caliber.

Naughty Dog's last game was a 93 MC that won 322 GOTY awards from media and gamers, which became the record-holder for the most number of GOTY awards ever in history, and sold over 10 million copies in quick time.

I would challenge Naughty Dog to release a supposedly "work in progress" game and still win GAF GOTY.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Scrap factions for a tax write off and go back to what you do best.

Shouldve just released TLOU2 with a similar multiplayer mode to the first one.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

My god! Feature creep sucks, but this my friends will be our new future with Jimbo's GAAS love. The old Sony is gone. Welcome to the Xbox version of Playstation. I can't wait for Jim Ryan to get fired. ND will NEVER get those 3 lost years back.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Scrap factions for a tax write off and go back to what you do best.

Shouldve just released TLOU2 with a similar multiplayer mode to the first one.
In hindsight, yes. But they wanted to do something new and ambitious. Had it worked, they could have got a billion-dollar hit and lots of recurring revenue. That would have allowed them to expand their studio significantly and make pursue multiple projects simultaneously.

Very much like Respawn. Apex Legends was a hit, and look at them doing wonders now. Playing a leading role in EA's game catalog development, Star Wars Jedi, Jedi Survivor, and they have another unannounced Star Wars project in development.

EDMIX

I deadass would've taken a CG trailer over this crap

yea I don't know about all that.

MP titles, I feel maybe with an established IP like this, they should come in hot, show a trailer, then do a deep dive, announce the beta is that very day, announce release date or even shadow drop it as that did wonders for APEX.

If they are indeed in development hell, a CG trailer might hurt as its now hyping up something that has components that might be uncertain if they'll even launch with the game or something, so I think this is one of those things where its better to limit the info until they feel 100% sure, so when its shown, they can capitalize on that hype cause someone can play its beta or full game etc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It gets worse...

Apparently Bungie looked over a build of the game and reported back saying it looked dogshit 💀💀💀

Well thank god for Bungie then. That's $1 billion well spent. Now we wait 3 years to see a 30 second video of their next single player game. Which means we will go 6 or so years between their last game and "seeing" a video of their next game.

Top Bottom