• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Announces Development Delay on TLoU MP (MP Dev Team 'Significantly Scaled Down,' Bloomberg Reports)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Naughty Dog has fallen they are no longer the crown jewel in Sonys Stable
Of course they are.

Whos better? Insomniac with PS4 looking, derivitive sequel Spider-Man 2?

SSM with 1 game every 6 years, and one IP in their entire history?

Guerilla? Amazing graphics but not as strong gameplay or story elements?

ND is the only studio thats guaranteed to knock it out the park no matter then genre, every time.

And they have the most IP, and were important since the PS1.

Elios83

I'm biased towards single player games but if this needs a total reboot I think the best way of proceeding is to focus on the single player new IP and then use the lessons learned with this game to turn it into the multiplayer mode of the eventual TLOU 3.

I've also noticed that ND in the tweet states they're going to have more news about their projects soon, hopefully soon means this year.

Last edited:
This thread is absolutely baffling to me. A top tier studio with pretty much a perfect track record delays a game and everyone is now calling the studio trash and poorly managed.

I feel like I am in a thread full of upset children who didn't get cake along with the ice cream because mom got called into work and the children are too spoiled and refuse to be understanding. This is a bit insane, and way blown out of proportion, you guys need to relax no offense.

I am sure a top tier studio knows what they are doing. There is a reason why they are top tier and you need to be a bit more trustworthy imo.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
This thread is absolutely baffling to me. A top tier studio with pretty much a perfect track record delays a game and everyone is now calling the studio trash and poorly managed.

I feel like I am in a thread full of upset children who didn't get cake along with the ice cream because mom got called into work and the children are too spoiled and refuse to be understanding. This is a bit insane, and way blown out of proportion, you guys need to relax no offense.

I am sure a top tier studio knows what they are doing. There is a reason why they are top tier and you need to be a bit more trustworthy imo.

Yeah. I get the disappointment of a delayed game. But when Naughty Dog goes from dropping bangers to dropping a sub-60 game, then we'll talk about "how they have fallen".

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Preach brother.

People laughing at him for speaking the truth is why devs and publishers will just continue to throw more GAAS trash at us. Bunch of spineless cowards unable to criticize.

The reason this game got delayed is because Bungie said it doesn't have enough loot/transactions and other vile shit they love. Nothing to do with the core gameplay.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
This looks like pure mismanagement and Sony has to be called out hard.

MS and Phil Spencer have been under fire for good reason but now it’s time to show the same energy with Sony and Jim Ryan because it’s starting to look like we’re getting maybe one game from ND this gen, enough is enough. Wanna be like this then don’t try to sell me a console on the promise.

StueyDuck

Ol baby dick weasel boy really has a hardon for busting naughty dog.

Did they refuse him an early copy at kotaku or something.

Bitch boy is quick to drag Rockstar or naughty dog.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
This looks like pure mismanagement and Sony has to be called out hard.

MS and Phil Spencer have been under fire for good reason but now it’s time to show the same energy with Sony and Jim Ryan because it’s starting to look like we’re getting maybe one game from ND this gen, enough is enough. Wanna be like this then don’t try to sell me a console on the promise.

Because of a lacking showcase and a delay? When the rest of the time they've been rocking?

jake-gyllenhaal-no-way.gif

FrankWza

well, i'd say it's just as likely that they 'didn't know how to'? that seemed to be bungie's take:
You're saying it like it's an insult that a highly respected studio can't make a GaaS game addictive enough. Like Martin Scorsese can't make a good real housewives of wherever the fuck.
Good! I'll take the masterpiece after masterpiece

Luipadre

Preach brother.

People laughing at him for speaking the truth is why devs and publishers will just continue to throw more GAAS trash at us. Bunch of spineless cowards unable to criticize.

The reason this game got delayed is because Bungie said it doesn't have enough loot/transactions and other vile shit they love. Nothing to do with the core gameplay.

This is what a passionate gamer looks like. I agree with everything he says. AAA gaming today is dogshit

Ozriel

M$FT
Ol baby dick weasel boy really has a hardon for busting naughty dog.

Did they refuse him an early copy at kotaku or something.

Bitch boy is quick to drag Rockstar or naughty dog.

His motivation is of no relevance.

What’s of relevance is the news he’s bringing, and his credentials for not making shit up for clout.

midnightAI

Of course they are.

Whos better? Insomniac with PS4 looking, derivitive sequel Spider-Man 2?

SSM with 1 game every 6 years, and one IP in their entire history?

Guerilla? Amazing graphics but not as strong gameplay or story elements?

ND is the only studio thats guaranteed to knock it out the park no matter then genre, every time.

And they have the most IP, and were important since the PS1.
Just ignore all the hyporbole in this thread, heck, ignore this thread, most of it (other than Naughty Dogs statement) is all rumour anyway

It's almost as bad as the Spider Man thread that suddenly it looks shit (it really doesn't). Ever since the 'average' showcase this whole place has gone bonkers

Ar¢tos

If they can't do Factions, at least port TLOU1 mp from ps3 and remaster the visuals.
Or is that beyond their abilities too?

Every development cycle on every project is different.
No developer is above development hell.

The game is clearly in development hell.

IMO, right now they're trying to figure out how to bail on this being a standalone game and adjust whatever narrative aspect they planned for it so that they can tack it onto The Last of Us 3.

sachos

Bro this GaaS shit is going to kill Playstation. Imagine they used all that time and money and devs to Remaster a new Jak collection. Make a new 8 hour Jak adventure. It would probably had taken way less time, money and devs and it would already be out making money. Making 200 million dollars games is hard? Devide your teams in smaller groups, give them 30 million and make them do nice 8hs single player adventures.

Varteras

Gold Member
Every development cycle on every project is different.
No developer is above development hell.

The game is clearly in development hell.

IMO, right now they're trying to figure out how to bail on this being a standalone game and adjust whatever narrative aspect they planned for it so that they can tack it onto The Last of Us 3.

Wanna bet on that?

If you win, I'll admit your dick is bigger.

If I win, I'll admit your dick is bigger.

Fabieter

So they shouldn't try to make Factions 2 the best most successful project than it can be?!

What the fuck are you even arguing?

It's not like bungie way is the only right way. Naughty dog might have striked gold without them since most of the fans just wanted fractions with last of us part 2 gameplay. This isnt promissing for their gaas games.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Bro this GaaS shit is going to kill Playstation. Imagine they used all that time and money and devs to Remaster a new Jak collection. Make a new 8 hour Jak adventure. It would probably had taken way less time, money and devs and it would already be out making money. Making 200 million dollars games is hard? Devide your teams in smaller groups, give them 30 million and make them do nice 8hs single player adventures.

Jak...

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is what a passionate gamer looks like. I agree with everything he says. AAA gaming today is dogshit

Lol overreacting nonsense. I don't care if he is a big PS fan. I'm also a big PS fan, but fuck off with this nonsense. This one show is not gonna change anything and somethimes i do get tired of these 3rd person action games. I love that PS is trying other types of genres without ditching singleplayer.

Personally, im pretty interested in Firewalks Concord.

Lol overreacting nonsense. I don't care if he is a big PS fan. I'm also a big PS fan, but fuck off with this nonsense. This one show is not gonna change anything and somethimes i do get tired of these 3rd person action games. I love that PS is trying other types of genres without ditching singleplayer.

he was an Xbox Fan

sainraja

^^ 100%. Gamers are pretty much children and simply don't want to grow up lol. People should at least wait for them to let them down before acting up.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Preach brother.

Oooof if that the way all sony multi games get reviewed by bungie. I also buy mtx in some games if I have the feeling the whole game don't feel like grind and gives me alot of shit without paying. I wouldn't pay money for a destiny like monetization.

It's not like bungie way is the only right way. Naughty dog might have striked gold without them since most of the fans just wanted fractions with last of us part 2 gameplay. This isnt promissing for their gaas games.

According to who?

You aren't qualified to make any assessment on what it takes to make a successful Live Serice game. Neither am I. And neither is Naughty Dog because they've never made one.

In fact, very few devs have succeeded in making a successful Live Service game. Bungie is one of the few who have, therefore theirs is a voice that should be listened to... whether you like it or not.

Oooof if that the way all sony multi games get reviewed by bungie. I also buy mtx in some games if I have the feeling the whole game don't feel like grind and gives me alot of shit without paying. I wouldn't pay money for a destiny like monetization.

I've played Destiny 2 since its launch. It's one of the few GaaS games whose monetization is the least egregious and least predatory. So i have no idea WTF you're talking about.

In fact, previous ND multiplayer games like U4 had far worse, far more objectionable, monetization than Destiny 2.

Yeah but they hadn't had a Showcase in years and this is all they had to show? "This is not actual gameplay "! Absolutely not good enough IMO, obviously we now know why ND wasn't there, they've been stuck with creating a MP game they don't really want to make for the last 3 years (last generation these guys were prolific with their releases). Then you have the rest of Sony first party who are all seemingly MIA, what up with that?

feynoob

Banned
I've played Destiny 2 since its launch. It's one of the few GaaS games whose monetization is the least egregious and least predatory. So i have no idea WTF you're talking about.

In fact, previous ND multiplayer games like U4 had far worse, far more objectionable, monetization than Destiny 2.
Having a full blown mtx in your game is the best way for people to steer away from your game.

Fabieter

According to who?

You aren't qualified to make any assessment on what it takes to make a successful Live Serice game. Neither am I. And neither is Naughty Dog because they've never made one.

In fact, very few devs have succeeded in making a successful Live Service game. Bungie is one of the few who have, therefore theirs is a voice that should be listened to... whether you like it or not.

Yea that doesn't mean that naughty dog didnt get people in with experience in games as a service. Guess what the hogwarts legacy devs never made a open world game before and knocked it out of the park. There are different takes to do stuff.

The only thing missing in destiny is a sub.

There is even a vaulting system where it takes away the access of paid content. I dont know a single other game where they do that.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
You've read the bloomberg report? Why scale down the team when it's still in production? That's hardly a sign of wanting to complete a project.

That does not imply they got stuck with a game they didn't want to make for 3 years. That implies they ran into an issue and scaled down to allocate people to other projects. You're making things up in your head.

That does not imply they got stuck with a game they didn't want to make for 3 years. That implies they ran into an issue and scaled down to allocate people to other projects. You're making things up in your head.
So when a studio runs into a development problem they usually take most of the team off that project do they? 🙄

Mattyp

Gold Member

They’ve never once released top tier multiplayer. D- at best, but pay to win that they love is apparently a lot harder to deliver on compared to beautiful set pieces of press X to shoot rails shit.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So when a studio runs into a development problem they usually take most of the team off that project do they? 🙄
The difference is that Naughty Dog is working on multiple projects. They took most devs off the multiplayer project years ago to finish the Last of Us Part II.

Varteras

Gold Member

Uh, yeah? When you have other projects and your current one has a major issue but is not canceled, if you end up with spare people you send them to other projects. The alternative being fire them or let them stand around and get paid.

Not sure where you've ever worked. But I've worked multiple jobs, especially construction, where that is exactly how we'd handle that situation. If the electricians can't do the job because something needs redone and it will take time, we'd send them to another job they CAN work on.

It's really not hard to grasp and doesn't require making things up.

You're saying it like it's an insult that a highly respected studio can't make a GaaS game addictive enough. Like Martin Scorsese can't make a good real housewives of wherever the fuck.
Good! I'll take the masterpiece after masterpiece
dude! look: saying a plumber doesn't know how to do electrical work isn't a friggin' insult, or a value judgment. no insult intended. i'm simply saying that they didn't know what they were doing in attempting to make a gaas game. you're right - it's not something they're familiar with, & yet they went ahead & were attempting to do it anyway, & they messed up. it's not an insult or a value judgment. it's simply a statement of fact...

not to mention: if scorcese ever did attempt & fail at making a good real housewives, wouldn't the real issue be not whether or not he was just too talented to succeed, but why the hell was he doing it in the first place? &, in this instance, you'd have to ask naughty dog...

Uh, yeah? When you have other projects and your current one has a major issue but is not canceled, if you end up with spare people you send them to other projects. The alternative being fire them or let them stand around and get paid.

Not sure where you've ever worked. But I've worked multiple jobs, especially construction, where that is exactly how we'd handle that situation. If the electricians can't do the job because something needs redone and it will take time, we'd send them to another job they CAN work on.

It's really not hard to grasp and doesn't require making things up.
Remind me not to hire you if I need work doing on my homes. If a team is struggling in any work environment you put more or better workers on the job, not less. Bit of common sense is it mate?

kaizenkko

I really don't understand why Sony decide to put one of their best studios to make a fucking gaas. They already bought Bungie and a lot of others studios who can make those games, let Naughty Dog do what they know.

Top Bottom