• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog developer mentions "unannounced remake project" on LinkedIn

Hopefully not TLoU remake, because only one person asked for that.

It's definitely TLOU remake and TLOU Factions

The original game came out almost 10 years ago.

Not far behind the Demon's Souls remake.

I think people focus on the fact that the game was remastered on PS4, but honestly, I don't see that as a factor. It's easy enough to recreate the game with the LOU2 engine and give part 1 and part 2 a cohesive experience. Especially important when LOU2 underperformed and this gives new people a chance to play LOU2 when the show comes out which should bring in some more fans potentially.

I think The Last of Us is a brilliant game. It's absolutely sensational, in fact. So all this, "it's a movie game" crap from some gamers on YouTube tends to get annoying.

But a full on remake!?

Honestly, they should have just did a spin off with other characters, because if they knew ending Joel as a character was a stupid move, it was likely going to be accepted as a stupid move. And do they think this automatically makes it right? Troy Baker basically is the character. The same with Ashley Johnson as Ellie.

Lupin25

Whatever they release is going to be a spectacle.

I think The Last of Us is a brilliant game. It's absolutely sensational, in fact. So all this, "it's a movie game" crap from some gamers on YouTube tends to get annoying.

But a full on remake!?

Honestly, they should have just did a spin off with other characters, because if they knew ending Joel as a character was a stupid move, it was likely going to be accepted as a stupid move. And do they think this automatically makes it right? Troy Baker basically is the character. The same with Ashley Johnson as Ellie.

Lol TLOU is just being remade as a package together with TLOU P2. A Director’s Cut to help drive new sales and promote the upcoming show.

The most unnecessary remake of all time.

That other Sony studio that started this garbage project should be shut down, what a waste of time. Odds of this remake not being universally panned are very slim if they change anything.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Hopefully not TLoU remake, because only one person asked for that.
James Mcavoy Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

kyliethicc

The most unnecessary remake of all time.

That other Sony studio that started this garbage project should be shut down, what a waste of time. Odds of this remake not being universally panned are very slim if they change anything.
Visual Arts are the reason Sony’s games have cutscenes that look beautiful. They do all the mo-cap and a lot of the cinematic animation, character rigging for Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Bend, Sucker Punch, Kojima Productions, etc. Shut em down and say goodbye to a huge defining part of Sony 1st party. They’re the industry leading support team at Sony who are right now making you God of War Ragnarok, among others.

“Shut them down” lol smh

Last edited:
Visual Arts are the reason Sony’s games have cutscenes that look beautiful. They do all the mo-cap and a lot of the cinematic animation, character rigging for Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Bend, Sucker Punch, Kojima Productions, etc. Shut em down and say goodbye to a huge defining part of Sony 1st party.
I'll be damned, maybe they should stick to what they are good at instead of going rogue and developing nonsensical games no one asked for.

Now we have ND working on TLoU remake and then possibly another Uncharted... We'll be on PS7 by the time they get a new IP out.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Visual Arts are the reason Sony’s games have cutscenes that look beautiful. They do all the mo-cap and a lot of the cinematic animation, character rigging for Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac, Bend, Sucker Punch, Kojima Productions, etc. Shut em down and say goodbye to a huge defining part of Sony 1st party. They’re the industry leading support team at Sony who are right now making you God War Ragnarok, among others.

“Shut them down” lol smh
Yup Vasg is the biggest help for Sony's biggest games, ICE inside ND is also great on the tech side

kyliethicc

I'll be damned, maybe they should stick to what they are good at instead of going rogue and developing nonsensical games no one asked for.

Now we have ND working on TLoU remake and then possibly another Uncharted... We'll be on PS7 by the time they get a new IP out.
Well I’m sure you’ll be glad to know that Mike Mumbauer, who’s idea it was to remake TLOU, left Sony in 2020.

He ran VASG for 13 years. Went and made his own studio. Hired a bunch of Sony people.

An interview with him by Metroid ram davidjaffe davidjaffe

Well I’m sure you’ll be glad to know that Mike Mumbauer, who’s idea it was to remake TLOU, left Sony in 2020.

He ran VASG for 13 years. Went and made his own studio. Hired a bunch of Sony people.

An interview with him by Metroid ram davidjaffe davidjaffe

Good for him, doesn't change the fact that remaking TLoU was an awful idea.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A remake of The Last Of Us is possibly the most pointless thing I've ever heard in my life.

A remake of Uncharted is a much better idea, given how early in the Ps3's life cycle it was. It's clunky as shit, and I can see them wanting a redesign, especially given that the movie was (unfortunately) quite successful.

kyliethicc

Good for him, doesn't change the fact that remaking TLoU was an awful idea.

Long explanation on the origins of the TLOU remake:

Mumbauer said that by 2016 in Uncharted 4, his team at Sony Visual Arts had, in real time, in a game engine, visually surpassed the VFX that he had been doing on pre-rendered CG films like Beowulf back in 2007. He didn't want to just keep doing support, he had his own ideas and ambitions.

His started with an idea to make animated TV shows about PlayStation games using the same game engine, using the same characters and tech, and doing it all realtime in-engine. Could create more stories faster to connect between the games and could use the same actors, like Troy Baker could play Joel, instead of using a different actor. Same quality or higher as the game cutscenes. (He still wants to make this happen.)

That was his pitch. Use the game engines to create animated shows about PlayStation game IPs to expand the game worlds, tell more stories, and have it all look the same as the games, and also all narratively connect.

Issue was though, its not a proven idea, therefore too risky financially. He pitched it up the chain, but it didn't get green lit. He thinks people would like this idea, but it didn't get made.

He had built up a new bigger team in San Diego to try to make their own stuff, to not just be a support studio. The VASG team needed to grow the team because they were using the game engine, so they needed game devs. Programmers etc. They did some tests to show they were able to make their own stuff without the help of Naughty Dog or Santa Monica. They had "amazing" looking tests, but the problem was "now what?"

Meanwhile, VASG were also working on Amy Hennig's Star Wars game, but then that game got cancelled by EA, so he had to pivot the team to keep them working and not lose people.

The pivot was to do remakes. Shawn Layden was still head of Sony WWS. Layden was very interested in remakes of older PS games, like Crash. Layden wanted to do IP expansion. So Mumbauer pitched remaking older PS2 & PS3 games but using modern tech (instead of his idea of shows.) This pitch in some way was green lit. They began work on a game. He couldn't say exactly what is was they began, but its pretty obvious now.

Interview was before the TLOU remake leaked:

Jaffe - "So you guys were doing a remake?"

Mumbauer - "I... can't really say that, but I'm just telling you that's what I was chasing. I can't necessarily tell you that's... what I can tell you is that.. that team certainly worked The Last of Us Part II, they're credited on that right? You saw that. So the thing is, what I can tell you is that's what I was chasing because I believe that there was value in doing something like a remake of God of War at the visual fidelity of today, or like a remake of Uncharted 1 at the visual fidelity of today."

SteadyEvo

But a full on remake!?

It’s a fantastic game… that also happens to be a movie. I like to think of them as interactive movies. Not a bad thing imo

why are they remaking TLOU ? That game is perfect and still looks good for old game.

To tie in with the new HBO show. But I kinda agree; even the PS3 version still looks great, let alone the PS4 remaster. Maybe a new expansion built off TLOU2 tech with content tied in with the HBO Max show would've been a better option.

Regardless, the remake should still do very well.

Dorohedoro

Can't wait to play TLoU Remake on my PS4 Pro later this year.
On my base PS4. :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_ok:

A remake of The Last Of Us is possibly the most pointless thing I've ever heard in my life.

A remake of Uncharted is a much better idea, given how early in the Ps3's life cycle it was. It's clunky as shit, and I can see them wanting a redesign, especially given that the movie was (unfortunately) quite successful.
I read that a remake of Uncharted 1 was proposed but it was rejected because it was gonna be too big/expensive or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom