• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog hires Fortnite battle pass expert as it builds The Last of Us multiplayer

bitbydeath

Sounds like they’re taking this very seriously.
Fortnite arguably has the best F2P implementation out there.

Howard announced the move on Twitter(opens in new tab), posting a picture of himself at the Naughty Dog office in Santa Monica, CA with the message "hell yeah!" As noted by TheGamer(opens in new tab), Howard's LinkedIn page(opens in new tab)notes that he's joined Naughty Dog as a principal monetization designer starting in November 2022.
While Howard joins Naughty Dog from Ubisoft Stockholm, his most notable credits are from the seven years he spent working at Epic, where he "helped form the core of battle pass progression strategy" and worked on 12 seasons of content through that system. He also helped introduce battle pass progression to Rocket League and Fall Guys.
https://www.gamesradar.com/naughty-...pert-as-it-builds-the-last-of-us-multiplayer/

tommib

The Last of Us All Stars

I’ll probably never touch it but I’ll do anything to subsidise Bluepoint and Housemarque titles.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
ffxiv-final.gif

MiguelItUp

I hate battle passes, I would rather paid DLC packs at this point.
I can understand that, but it's an unfortunate successful norm for free to play games, so it makes sense. People playing the largest F2P games now have this expectation of expecting a battle pass of some form. So if it isn't there, some players may feel like it's lacking as it's become such a common thing. Not to mention BPs also help move money even further.

I don't know what to expect with this game at all, maybe it'll be neat. But I'm not going to allow myself to get excited or intrigued by some art and ideas. We'll see gameplay soon enough.

Wonder if there will be dance emotes, lol.

Last edited:
Sheesh, looks like they're going jam pack this thing with micro-transactions, and juice out as much money as they can.
as opposed to what, giving it away free?

I’d rather this be a 70 dollar game with season passes but people will complain if they do that too and say they are dumb for not going f2p when every other multiplayer game aside from COD is.

No matter what people are gonna complain about the way sony monetizes this game at this point.

Last edited:

A.Romero

The only reason this game exists it's because F2P.

Everyone with the means should be trying to get a piece of that cake. Sony would be stupid if they left that money on the table.

GHG

Gold Member
Sounds like it's going to be everything I hate about modern multiplayer games - battlepasses, microtransactions, "seasons" and all that crap.

Couldn't be any less interested in this. This sort of thing is really not what I purchased my PS5 for.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see more of this. I hope they have a ton of survival mode aspects. I wonder how will this compete with state of decay 3.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm most curious about how they alter the grounded fundamentals of the franchise toward what multiplayer format seems to require

kyliethicc

Naughty Dog and Fortnite in the same sentence. Remember this moment folks, this is where Playstation went downhill.
They've been studying it for a while since they started this game. Its the market leader in this space, top 3 at least.

"When I first started working on this multiplayer project, I had a very superficial opinion of Fortnite as something that was a mere toy for tweens, a passing fad that was only popular because of Drake. How wrong I was! Fortnite is truly inspiring, not just as a multiplayer game but as a game period. Epic takes incredible creative risks every season, coming up with new ways to totally transform the game, and they seem anything but short of new ideas. I've been especially impressed with the interactive "concert" events they created: a multiplayer, interactive, limited time musical event? Doesn't get much more innovative than that! Now if I could only learn to build..."

Anthony Newman, Game Director, The Last of Us Online

bitbydeath

Sounds like it's going to be everything I hate about modern multiplayer games - battlepasses, microtransactions, "seasons" and all that crap.

Couldn't be any less interested in this. This sort of thing is really not what I purchased my PS5 for.
There’s no better multiplayer system, even back when Warhawk was around, the devs struggled with how to expand their offerings, the only option without F2P is by splitting the community up into who buys what DLC package.

F2P means you can pay as little or as much as you want and get continued support, new / larger maps that everyone can play for free.

I don't think Last of Us multiplayer has the broad appeal they are hoping for. It's like how Rockstar had such big plans for RDR Online and to make gazillions of GTA Online bucks with it and nobody cared, and it's already long dead.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Cool thing about battle/season passes are that all maps/weapons are free and it's only cosmetic stuff that's in em' - that goes for the most succesful F2P games tho'. If Sony wants to join the failing roster of F2P, they'll just have to put maps and weapons in battle passes.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So you'd rather pay for new content instead of getting it for free?

Cosmetics are optional and doesn't affect the game.

Getting free maps and whatnot does.

Same…I miss Battlefield Premium and COD Season Passes. The days when we knew what we were gonna get, and didn’t have to force ourselves to play a shit ton in a week to unlock things.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Free to play might make them some cash but it brings in all the trash every time. If anything, I would want a game to have an intentionally high, one-time paid barrier to entry so that you don't have a million random idiots and minors flooding it.

tmlDan

I am super pumped about this, after hearing about COD paying full price for an expansion rather than a new game im really hoping this will become my new F2P main game.

OW2, Apex, and Fortnite are still in rotation based on mood.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
fortnite MTX is fine, rarely people complain about the practice, as much as I hate GaaS, i guess this is consider good news for now for the fans.

Hestar69

battlepasas "expert" cool so TLOU will have non stop Marvel and star wars costumes EVERY season.. Seriously,So sick of fortnite having marvel and now star wars trash is back. ADD NEW STUFF.

Thirty7ven

Banned
As far as I know if you wanna hit the big leagues in these online games you gotta go hard on stupid shit so good luck.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s a bit worrisome, sounds like it’ll be MTX galore.

We’ll see I guess. But an MTX filled slot machine is not really what I thought Naught Dog of all devs would end up doing.

zkorejo

Yay I guess. I think the battlepass system might go out of fashion in 10 years, which is what seems like it will stay in development for.

Gotta make remakes and remasters and tv shows and movies and board games and toilet paper before getting to factions.

Top Bottom