• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog isn’t ruling out making more Uncharted games, developer says

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The thing with Hennig's Uncharted 4, is that it would have probably sucked. Entire first half of the game without a single shot fired... that was her plan.

I guess she really took to heart the whole "Drake's mass murderer" nonsense spread by salty trolls and downright IMBECILES, unfortunately.
What's mad about that is the main complaint of the released Uncharted 4 is that there is too much walk and talk and not enough action. That has a bucket load more encounters and it gets snarky comments of a walking simulator. I'd love to have Hennig back at ND but I hope she is finally being properly utilised at Skydance after all the stalled starts at EA.

l
I mean.. we know Nadine is straight, and Chole was literally the protagonist's love interest.
These kind of arts are obviously not canon, and only made to entertain that peculiar crowd.

I guess Uncharted, the series known for the attractive and good-hearted straight alpha catholic caucasian super hero, is not exactly the ideal target for this kind of criticisms..

Chloe had a nice ass. In Uncharted 2, 3 and first phase of U4 Multiplayer.
They can be bi you know! I always took that christmas card as confirmation of what I already thought was going through the minds of the devs.

Yes I know it’s not explicitly in the game.

Tschumi

I have no. problem. with more uncharted, it's fantastic.

Should it involve Drake? Maybe not? Maybe he can be a slightly greying uni professor and his young teen son and their girlfriend have a sorta "It Takes Two" style adventure, steadily growing in age over a decade of releases?

Last edited:

TidusYuna

Always down for more uncharted. Wait til Cassie Drake finds out that her father is not only an explorer, but a closet gun nut mass murderer and her mom secretly likes it.

Cassie - "Daddy! You shot that man!"
Nathan - "He was bad man sweetheart, it was either him or us."

Cassie - "Dad! WTF! You just murdered all those men!"
Nathan - "Don't worry cupcake, these men were all bad, we're the good guys. They were looking for us."
Cassie - "Because YOU shot their friend!"

Cassie - "Dad! You just broke that man's neck, he was just standing there!"
Nathan - "He was guarding that entrance sweety, i'm in stealth mode, we don't want to give away our position. But hey, at least I didn't shoot him, that's gotta count for something right?"
Cassie - "Mom! Say something!"
Elena - "As long as your father includes both of us in on his adventures he can kill as many bad men as he likes."
Cassie - "Who are you people?"

Nathan - "You're up Cassie." *Hands Cassie the Desert Eagle*
Cassie - "Wha... What are you doing?"
Nathan - "You are hunting bad guys. Now go."
Cassie - "Go where?"
Nathan - "In the direction of bad guys."

Cassie - *whispers* "I found one."
Nathan - *whispers* "Why haven't you pulled the trigger Cassie? I didn't tell you to "Hold fire," Who am I, Kratos?"
Cassie - *whispers* "He could have a family or I could miss or something."
Nathan - *whispers* "Stop making this weird, if you miss, keep firing. Its not a bow and arrow. Your mom has the Ak-47 ready if he returns fire so just shoot already."
Cassie - *whispers* "But I don't want to kill another human being."
Elena - *Whispers* Lets call it a day Nate, she isn't ready. Lets go home."
Nathan - "Fine.."

Nathan - "We'll try again tomorrow. I'll tell you what Cassie, If you kill that bad guy, I'll get you a PS5 and a the new Crash Bandicoot when it comes out."
Cassie - "But Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard so Crash Bandicoot 5 might be exclusive to Xbox."
Nathan & Elena - "WHAT!"
Cassie - "Will you get me an Xbox Series X instead?"
Elena - "What do we do about this one Nate."
cassieuncharted4.jpg

Last edited:
I hope they continue. I mean they're fun and entertaining, easily digestible "popcorn flick" games. I'd happily play more. In fact, the most recent TLL might be my favorite in the series. Keep 'em coming.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
There's no evidence for either side of the argument, but ironically people blindly take Naughty Dog's side without requiring evidence in favor of them as well.

The only facts are:
Amy Hennig left/ was forced out of Naughty Dog
Druckmann sees the opportunity to climb the corporate ladder by appealing to SJWs and Anita Sarkeesian
Suddenly all Naughty Dog's games become infested with woke narratives and FUN is not a priority anymore

Amy Hennig doesn't need to prove how competent she is as a writer to anybody, she already gave us Legacy of Kain and Uncharted as proof.
With TLOU2 and Uncharted 4, Druckmann just showed us that he's only good at climbing the corporate ladder, and if this trend of wokeism ever goes away, he'll be forgotten with it.
Okay I'll bite. Name 5 things wrong with TLOU:II that you take extreme issue with. Make them specific, saying "too woke" with no example is not specific.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

There's no evidence for either side of the argument, but ironically people blindly take Naughty Dog's side without requiring evidence in favor of them as well.

The only facts are:
Amy Hennig left/ was forced out of Naughty Dog
Druckmann sees the opportunity to climb the corporate ladder by appealing to SJWs and Anita Sarkeesian
Suddenly all Naughty Dog's games become infested with woke narratives and FUN is not a priority anymore

Amy Hennig doesn't need to prove how competent she is as a writer to anybody, she already gave us Legacy of Kain and Uncharted as proof.
With TLOU2 and Uncharted 4, Druckmann just showed us that he's only good at climbing the corporate ladder, and if this trend of wokeism ever goes away, he'll be forgotten with it.

The crucial hole in your argument is that Druckmann had just made TLOU, one of the best games ever made and one that wasn't woke at all.

I would love more Uncharted, one of my favourite series of all time. Loved all of them and plan on replaying them for the 9000th time.

I still don't understand how Neil has been pandering to SJWs. But hey, I loved his work on TLOU and Uncharted 4, and I couldn't give two shits about that SJW crap.

Hunnybun

I would love more Uncharted, one of my favourite series of all time. Loved all of them and plan on replaying them for the 9000th time.

I still don't understand how Neil has been pandering to SJWs. But hey, I loved his work on TLOU and Uncharted 4, and I couldn't give two shits about that SJW crap.

I mean I think there's bit of that there: the trans character in TLOU2, Abby and Nadine being these tanks of women who can apparently overpower any man, the mild sort of 'girl power' vibe of Lost Legacy. But it's nothing compared to something like Miles Morales, which is just painfully woke.

Also, I think Neil just comes across as a pretty decent guy, really. He's still friendly with Colin Moriarty, for example, which not only necessitates not being insanely PC, but is also quite brave, as crazy as that seems.

I mean I think there's bit of that there: the trans character in TLOU2, Abby and Nadine being these tanks of women who can apparently overpower any man, the mild sort of 'girl power' vibe of Lost Legacy. But it's nothing compared to something like Miles Morales, which is just painfully woke.

Also, I think Neil just comes across as a pretty decent guy, really. He's still friendly with Colin Moriarty, for example, which not only necessitates not being insanely PC, but is also quite brave, as crazy as that seems.
I actually don't see those things as being woke. He wanted to created a story, and those characters are part of the story, imo they don't feel forced or there just to pander to the woke culture. Lev was hunted because she did what she did, creating this possibility of her being at your side fighting against her own people, f.e. They became outcasts because of it, and then they met Abby. This makes sense and helps the story go forward. Abby is just a muscular girl, nothing wrong with it. She was clearly traumatised by her father's death and decided to hit the gym. The girl power vibe of Lost Legacy is just two friends that decided to tackle treasure hunting together as both have something to earn from it.

Miles Morales yeah, that one is more focused on being woke, but I don't like Spider Man and, even though I finished it, it's a trash game.

Not everything needs to be pandering, the creators have a story they want to tell. I respect that. If I don't like the game, it won't be because of pandering or not pandering.

sainraja

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I actually don't see those things as being woke. He wanted to created a story, and those characters are part of the story, imo they don't feel forced or there just to pander to the woke culture. Lev was hunted because she did what she did, creating this possibility of her being at your side fighting against her own people, f.e. They became outcasts because of it, and then they met Abby. This makes sense and helps the story go forward. Abby is just a muscular girl, nothing wrong with it. She was clearly traumatised by her father's death and decided to hit the gym. The girl power vibe of Lost Legacy is just two friends that decided to tackle treasure hunting together as both have something to earn from it.

Miles Morales yeah, that one is more focused on being woke, but I don't like Spider Man and, even though I finished it, it's a trash game.

Not everything needs to be pandering, the creators have a story they want to tell. I respect that. If I don't like the game, it won't be because of pandering or not pandering.

They don't necessarily feel forced but having a trans character in the world of TLOU, of all the things, imo was pretty blatantly political. But it wasn't forced down players' throats or anything. It was fine.

I think you could stand to be a bit more sceptical lol regarding writers' motivations. Characters don't just *happen* to be 'just a muscular girl', or an invulnerable black female mercenary, or a trans boy. These things aren't there by accident, and they're certainly not the only ways those stories could have been written.

But, like I say, it's fairly mild stuff really by modern gaming standards.

They don't necessarily feel forced but having a trans character in the world of TLOU, of all the things, imo was pretty blatantly political. But it wasn't forced down players' throats or anything. It was fine.

I think you could stand to be a bit more sceptical lol regarding writers' motivations. Characters don't just *happen* to be 'just a muscular girl', or an invulnerable black female mercenary, or a trans boy. These things aren't there by accident, and they're certainly not the only ways those stories could have been written.

But, like I say, it's fairly mild stuff really by modern gaming standards.
To be honest, I can see why people would see that it's political, I just choose not to (there's too much shit everyday happening, videogames are my relaxing time). Because I really just want to enjoy a game, especially a ND one, so I'm totally cool with it.

Trimesh

Banned
It's hard to put my finger on exactly why, but I just ended up quitting U4 and never getting back to it - it's still sitting there, but I have absolutely no urge to play it again. It obviously put me off so much that I never even bothered trying Lost Legacy. And this is coming from someone that really liked the previous Uncharted games.

Thinking about it, for me the PS4 was in general marred by sequels that I liked less than their predecessors.

YukiOnna

I'm a bit undecided but overall I just think it would be weird to have a happily married couple where one of them voluntarily goes off on thrill seeking and death defying adventures. It doesn't really scream having an important person in your life. So I think that was a problem.

I think Chloe might have been ok but they fucked it up. She's tough and independent and funny, and not completely selfish: she's basically heroic. But teaming her up with Nadine, a personality vacuum, and this nonsense of pretending she was Indian all along, even going so far as completely changing her appearance, I think has just kind of broken the character.

Personally I'm not too sure about a young Sully. For a start, I'm not sure I'd want it as a period piece. Also, I'm always a *bit* perturbed by having a protagonist who you literally *know* survives the story. I know that functionally we know that in these games the protagonist always wins, but I think you need that scope to suspend your disbelief. At the end of UC4 I had like 1% doubt that Nate wouldn't make it back to Elena. It's only 1% but that's where all the drama is. And I actually positively expected Sam not to make it.

So yeah - I think you need that hazard.
Oh I'm not talking about that, If I remember correctly, before they even had their daughter or she reached that age, they went on plenty of more official jobs and excavations which is what she finds. IMO there's plenty of stories they can weave with things going awry and they left that open to imagination.

On the opposite end, we know there's a lot Sully taught Nate and many events they had that took place when it was just the two of them. But I'm there for the adventure with Nate and his co partner. I know he has a conclusion, even if I didn't exactly agree with Neil and Bruce saying they felt they couldn't do any more with the character, so filling in the gaps here and there or him ending up on another serious adventure with the existing characters and not lying to Elaina about it is okay with me.

If they really want to retire Nate, then it's also better to just detach from the existing cast for me. Otherwise, at least feature him in a supporting role to make it feel like Uncharted.

El gallo

What’s the appeal of Uncharted anyway? It’s a corny boring looking white dude playing Indiana Jones. Didn’t we have Tomb Raider for that. Make something else.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
What’s the appeal of Uncharted anyway? It’s a corny boring looking white dude playing Indiana Jones. Didn’t we have Tomb Raider for that. Make something else.
Are be back to E3 2006?

Close to 50 million people found appeal in these games, they must be doing something good.

The later Tomb Raider games tried to copy from Uncharted success, but like a bootleg of sort, with worse stories, worst directing, worst acting, worst writing and infinitely worse gameplay mechanics.

However, Tomb Raider games are actually better as games, since their structure is much more appealing than Uncharted. To me at least.

Uncharted 4 is up there. The grappling hook opens up things a bit for sure.
And unmatched fluidity in aim-shoot-roll and cover system, unparalleled verticality compared to any of the games mentioned, etc. etc.

Takes such as those ones shouldn't even deserve replies, imo.

Worst shooting out of every TPS, with a shooting based Multiplayer lasting 6 years and still going.

john-krasinski-confused-look.gif

Are be back to E3 2006?

Close to 50 million people found appeal in these games, they must be doing something good.

The later Tomb Raider games tried to copy from Uncharted success, but like a bootleg of sort, with worse stories, worst directing, worst acting, worst writing and infinitely worse gameplay mechanics.

However, Tomb Raider games are actually better as games, since their structure is much more appealing than Uncharted. To me at least.

And unmatched fluidity in aim-shoot-roll and cover system, unparalleled verticality compared to any of the games mentioned, etc. etc.

Takes such as those ones shouldn't even deserve replies, imo.

Worst shooting out of every TPS, with a shooting based Multiplayer lasting 6 years and still going.

john-krasinski-confused-look.gif
Yeah, I agree. Uncharted 4 has some of the best gameplay ND has ever made. It's forgotten sometimes because of the slow pacing of the game demphasizing the action a little bit. But the controls are spot on and multiplayer was fun.

SLB1904

Banned
I want to see some building fallen with the power of ps5.

Another 90+ score.
Bring back the goat that saved the ps3

Loope

I'm confused how was she forced out when the writer of said forcing out article claimed it was all bullshit?

Listen, leave that rubbish "Cuckmann" shite at the door. People actively stop reading when they see that. No one wants to read the ramblings of a lunatic. I wrote my comment open ended specifically to give you enough rope, which you took in spades. Posters are dunking on you because you are talking absolute bollix.

Either provide genuine proof and not the subreddit message of an unknown user who obviously has no real proof. To make it easier, shit or get off the pot.
But why didn't you question the user that said she botched it? Do you seriously believe that a person with that experience, that created not only Uncharted but also Soul Reaver, would fuck it up to the point of being let go? I don't believe Druckmann forced her out either, but maybe he was trying to push something into UC4 that she didn't agree on and left. If i remember right, whe was not the only person to leave.

Aenima

Hope they keep making Uncharted games from time to time. I love the treasure hunting adventures and pretty much without uncharted we are stuck with Tomb Raider. But uncharted without Nathan Drake is not really the same thing. I enjoyed the Last Legacy with Chloe and Nadine, but Nathan charisma and dry jokes just make the journey much more entertaining.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
But why didn't you question the user that said she botched it? Do you seriously believe that a person with that experience, that created not only Uncharted but also Soul Reaver, would fuck it up to the point of being let go? I don't believe Druckmann forced her out either, but maybe he was trying to push something into UC4 that she didn't agree on and left. If i remember right, whe was not the only person to leave.
The second poster wasn't making up shit that was disproven by the author of the hit piece. It was obvious he was talking shit when he pulled out the Cuckmann and woke talking points.

Where there is no evidence to the contrary, people can speculate. I can't prove one way or the other what did happen but if rumours are contradicted by the author of that rumour then it should be called out.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sure. As long as they innovate, and do something different with the gameplay.

JMarcell

if they decide to make a new uncharted , they'll have to soft reboot it and make it a lot different, kinda like they did with god of war. If they do more of the same the game will most likely flop

Loope

The second poster wasn't making up shit that was disproven by the author of the hit piece. It was obvious he was talking shit when he pulled out the Cuckmann and woke talking points.

Where there is no evidence to the contrary, people can speculate. I can't prove one way or the other what did happen but if rumours are contradicted by the author of that rumour then it should be called out.
Ah ok. Because i didn't see the Cuckmann part, just you calling him out on what he said, when basically the opposite view is also really nebullous and to be honest it is grinding my gears people going: "she tried to launch a game after and it felt flat, so....."

No, it is not like that. We don't know what happened, Uncharted is her game as much as TLOU is Neil's. How the hell would someone react if you have people (allegedly) coming in and trying to dictate how you should run your game. It's not something that goes away just for leaving the company, aggravated by the fact that the people responsible for your departure are the ones finishing up the game. This type of shit haunts you for years.

I went on tangent there, sorry about that, but you're right, the woke shit, cuckmann etc. is agravating. I'm just now playing their games, i'm on UC2.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Ah ok. Because i didn't see the Cuckmann part, just you calling him out on what he said, when basically the opposite view is also really nebullous and to be honest it is grinding my gears people going: "she tried to launch a game after and it felt flat, so....."

No, it is not like that. We don't know what happened, Uncharted is her game as much as TLOU is Neil's. How the hell would someone react if you have people (allegedly) coming in and trying to dictate how you should run your game. It's not something that goes away just for leaving the company, aggravated by the fact that the people responsible for your departure are the ones finishing up the game. This type of shit haunts you for years.

I went on tangent there, sorry about that, but you're right, the woke shit, cuckmann etc. is agravating. I'm just now playing their games, i'm on UC2.
No bother. I'd love if ND allowed Amy to explain her vision for U4. Non of the behind the scenes stuff. Having half a game with no shooting (allegedly) is mental and I'd love to know how she planned to make that work.

Fbh

I'd rather have them finally working on some new IP's.
But if they keep Uncharted around I hope they try to improve on the formula instead of just making a polished version of more of the same with awful pacing, like Uncharted 4.

Put more actual puzzles in the game, and take out the crate pushing shit.
Finally turn traversal and platforming into an engaging part of the game instead of filler that feels like its on autopilot.
Keep the bigger areas but make them fun to explore and have worthwhile stuff to do and find in them.
Cut back walking and talking segments by half.
Put gameplay first, and story second, like the older entries.

Digity

It seems silly to not have a native Ps5 Uncharted. I'm surprised Sony didn't push for one, unless that's what all these collections are ramping up to perhaps.

Kumomeme

the upcoming Uncharted movie reception might gonna determine whether we gonna get more Uncharted games.

Last edited:
I loved the ending of U4 and wish they never make a new one and just leave it at that, perfect send off letter. They should do a new IP same as they did with TLOU.

YukiOnna

It seems silly to not have a native Ps5 Uncharted. I'm surprised Sony didn't push for one, unless that's what all these collections are ramping up to perhaps.
Founder Evan Wells also said the same thing here months before so it probably is in early development.

Top Bottom