• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog next game is The Last of Us Part III

fart town usa

Gold Member
I cannot believe that Sony is still on this 'post-apocalyptic melodrama' kick. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I just can't be bothered. Happy for those who are excited for it, not trying to be hater.

edit- see that it might be a hoax. I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd releases. Entertainment companies love a franchise they can milk the shit out of.

So excited for RE4 in March. :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Last edited:

Hoddi

Not that I'd complain but I really don't see the point. Even for its faults, they already tied up the story.

I just get Terminator 3 vibes when thinking about it.

hinch7

Oof I hope not. After the second game I wouldn't mind the series getting buried for a while.

I'd much rather have a new Uncharted, or even better the new IP. Something way less depressing/draining.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Bring on the third. The first two are ready!
SXAcMvK.gif

ButchCat

They also leaked the plot:

"Around the time when Abby becomes fed up with Ellie's shenanigans she realizes her fav golf club is also a time machine and so she jumps to the Uncharted timeline conveniently right next to Drake's beach house, after being sneaky for a while she quickly becomes envious of Drake's 13 yr old daughter and develops daughter fever for Drake and so she quietly kills the daughter with you guessed it her golf club and proceeds by posing as the daughter, of course, old Drake isn't as sharp as he once was and doesn't suspect a thing despite the extra 300 lbs of muscle that towers over him. This is where you the player take control of Abby and spend 20hrs of juicing, pumping iron, lying and telling people you are natty, writing feminist blogs, and calling in sick from your Starbucks barista job by occasionally identifying as a talking lamp. "

Last edited:

3liteDragon

That's great & all but this would be okay as long as they put out a new IP this gen as well, I do remember they were casting a black male for a sci-fi IP like 2 years ago so maybe they're working on both. We'll see.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Not that I'd complain but I really don't see the point. Even for its faults, they already tied up the story.

I just get Terminator 3 vibes when thinking about it.
Yeah same. Me personally the only thing I could see myself being interested in playing this for would be playing as Joel during the downfall of society being the piece of crap Tess alluded too in PT 1. Where exactly do you go from here?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hope it’s more Abby story. I really liked her campaign.
That said, something new would be nice

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The only people still making those “jokes” at this point are pulling their mask down a little bit more than they should.

Well, you see, if we want to get all into other people's true and honest beliefs, haha, I've never had an issue with race or gender in my life. Not interacting with, working with, or befriending people of any kind of background, the sole criteria being they bring something unique/benefecial/challenging/otherwise worthwhile to my life. I'm not gonna say I don't see color or anything trite like that, but it's always been the content of a person's character above all else to me. I prefer a genuine asshole to a charming liar.

But that post was more a reflection of my thoughts about "The Message," and it's increasingly forced inclusion (ha) in basically everything. There's a difference between a serious, reflective piece of art or media and One that's just overtly violent, pessimistic, and subversive because Sony needed an award bait game. Yes, it's fucking Shakespeare compared to most other efforts in gaming, but the point will always remain: it's a fucking game. When Druckman said a game doesn't need to make you feel good, fair. When he said a game doesn't need to be fun, he flew in the face of the key principle of basically every one of my favorite devs, mostly from the Nintendo pool.

But yeah, I'll grab my cross and kerosene or whatever you think, hahaha

mckmas8808

Banned
That’s not hate, it’s sarcasm/satire.

Where's the joke though? What if the next protag was a black lesbian? What point would he be proving? I mean.........Riley was in the DLC and will be in the TV show.

The Last Of Us Dancing GIF by PlayStation

Plus, one of the best things about TLOU franchise is that it's not "fun" per say, yet it's still a great game.

Last edited:
I don't feel like this is true. I can't imagine ND just being stuck to the tlou for this many consecutive years

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/0...-the-last-of-us-3-outline-is-written-well-see

Naughty Dog creative director Neil Druckmann confirmed in a recent podcast episode for Script Apart that an outline for The Last of Us 3 exists thanks to combined efforts with Gross, but he was also very clear in stating that it is very much still just an outline at this stage. "I don't know how much I want to reveal. [Co-writer Halley Gross] and I did write an outline for a story that we're not making - but I hope one day can see the light of day - that explores a little bit about what happens after this game." Being very much up in in the air, he added, "We'll see."

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Where's the joke though? What if the next protag was a black lesbian? What point would he be proving? I mean.........Riley was in the DLC and will be in the TV show.

The "joke," is that they keep out doing themselves, and eventually it's going to become ridiculous. Think Dragon Ball or Gurren Lagen. Like, there's only so much you do to wow the target demographic with the same tricks. We'll have quadruple amputees as main protags, but not because of any purposeful or meaningful reason that came from the director's creative mind, but because we need to win the woke Olympics. If they stop spinning ANY of their plates without adding three more every couple of years, The whole thing will crash around them.

They've backed themselves into a corner becoming the hero of the under represented in gaming. Because ALL the eyes are on them, and for reasons that have fuck all to do with the quality or enjoyability of their actual games. If you can't find a joke there, I can't help you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Plus, one of the best things about TLOU franchise is that it's not "fun" per say, yet it's still a great game.
You know that I don't need an education on this developer or series. What he said was a harmless snarky comment, everyone is too hyper sensationalized to jump to the extreme finger pointing cancel bullshit.

Out of the 5 senses, common sense and sense of humor are the ones being vastly eroded and underutilized.

mckmas8808

Banned
You know that I don't need an education on this developer or series. What he said was a harmless snarky comment, everyone is too hyper sensationalized to jump to the extreme finger pointing cancel bullshit.

Out of the 5 senses, common sense and sense of humor are the ones being vastly eroded and underutilized.

Snarky comments hit a little differently when people are constantly tossing them at your people. There's nothing wrong with people that look like me. I honestly don't see how TLOU characters are part of the "woke" Olympics just to target demos.

For the life of me, I don't understand how people see it this way I swear. Like.....those types of people exist in the world. Big deal if they're the lead.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Snarky comments hit a little differently when people are constantly tossing them at your people. There's nothing wrong with people that look like me. I honestly don't see how TLOU characters are part of the "woke" Olympics just to target demos.

For the life of me, I don't understand how people see it this way I swear. Like.....those types of people exist in the world. Big deal if they're the lead.

You're still missing my point. It's passive Progressive shit that I have and have always had a problem with. Obviously, I can't and don't want to speak for anyone but myself, so if you have past incidents with others that had negative outcomes based solely on your appearance, yeah, that's fucked. But it's also not my fault that it happened, and it's not fair to color your automatic assumptions of me based on a filter based on other people's actions. Something to think about.

But my issue, as I said, is using this shit for award bait. For the invention of awards for accessibility and just corporate reach arounds and gaming tabloid articles and it's ALL. SO. TRITE. I definitely feel like there's something slimy somewhere in TLOU's DNA. I can't put my finger on it, but something just feels MANUFACTURED. Someone mentioned a mask earlier. Never forget these companies aren't full of bruhs and allies first, they're filled with people with analytics about the best way to make a shiny product that people will buy. They don't care about your representation. They care that it's HOT right now.

Same way no one gave a shit back when titties and skulls and fires were the shit and it was the attitude Era of gaming. This bullshit is all cyclical.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm all in for TLOUIII. This series needs to go out with a bang and finish what it started back in 2013 in the grand sheme of things. There's definitely huge potential for that narratively and when it comes to characters story arcs in TLOUIII. Can't wait to play it a the end of PS5 lifesycle. Hopefully they'll make gameplay even better and on a much grander scale (same goes for world exploration etc.).

As for new Uncharted. I can see what they can do after U4 and Lost Legacy narratively, but I just don't know if it's... needed at this point? Idk, I think new and next-gen Tomb Raider will scratch that itch pretty nicely, same goes for Indiana Jones game... probably.

Top Bottom