• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog next game is The Last of Us Part III

kingfish

Not reading 4 pages, haven't they explicitly stated their next game is a fantasy one and we've already seen some concept art?
No. They never explicitly stated that the next IP would a Fantasy IP, and the art that was circulating around was a personal work from one of ND's artists.

Madflavor

Where they gonna take the story? I mean...

They blew their load already by killing Joel in the first hour of Part 2. So the biggest emotional punch they could deliver is done and over with. Every character in TLOU2 was a miserable bag of dicks, and most of them are dead. What are they gonna do for Part 3? Have Ellie and Abby form an uneasy alliance while Ellie searches for Dinah, only for Dinah to die or some shit? And before you say they wouldn't do something that obvious, I predicted a long time ago that if they made a sequel they would kill Joel. Low and behold they certainly didn't wait long on that account. The story should've ended with Part 1.

ANIMAL1975

No thanks.
6aUDQZq.gif
Great post mate thanks, took the words out of my.... mouth

Reposting for everyone who missed it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No. They never explicitly stated that the next IP would a Fantasy IP, and the art that was circulating around was a personal work from one of ND's artists.

Fair play, was the last I heard. Still doubt they'll do TLOU3 personally but who knows.

Because studios (including film studios) often double down. I saw that they renewed the Quantum Leap reboot for a second season and that Rings of Power will get a second season too.

Also, the game is obviously not a huge flop - just a big underperformer in terms of sales.

WTF?!?

TLOU II didn't underperform at all. Stop relying on NeoGaf fanboys for your sales information.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Colour me unsurprised and equally estatic, both games are beyond incredible so yeah i'm happy to delve back into this world again

mortal

Gold Member
I don't hate this if it's true, but it's a shame Naughty Dog weren't working on a new IP next.
After more than a decade of bouncing between TLOU and Uncharted, it would've been great to see them explore a completely fresh concept this gen.

I figured Druckmann was set on making a third entry eventually, but I'd be surprised if it was this soon.
Between the TLOU remake, the show, the forthcoming Factions multiplayer, and now possibility of Part III on the horizon, I hope they don't end up burning people out from so much TLOU.

mxbison

This isn't a private message board...?

I mean....I reply to an other message and you're like "You don't know me!" lol

I wouldn't mind if Abby was a hot latina or anything, I just get annoyed by hypocrites and that's why I asked about the "cancel bullshit". Because people complain about cancel culture in one thread and then go "Why does that character have purple hair? I won't play that shit, they should fire the developers" 5 minutes later. Same thing.

I don't hate this if it's true, but it's a shame Naughty Dog weren't working on a new IP next.
After more than a decade of bouncing between TLOU and Uncharted, it would've been great to see them explore a completely fresh concept this gen.

I figured Druckmann was set on making a third entry eventually, but I'd be surprised if it was this soon.
Between the TLOU remake, the show, the forthcoming Factions multiplayer, and now possibility of Part III on the horizon, I hope they don't end up burning people out from so much TLOU.
The show will catch up to the games in 3-4 years if successful. They have that much time to catchup or they get lapped like George RR Martin. Honestly seems guaranteed to me that this is his next game, but who knows.

mortal

Gold Member
The show will catch up to the games in 3-4 years if successful. They have that much time to catchup or they get lapped like George RR Martin. Honestly seems guaranteed to me that this is his next game, but who knows.
I assume he wants the events of the series fresh in players' minds, if it does end up being his next game.
Although I tend to prefer a bit of distance to let players miss the world and its characters, especially for such a narrative heavy title.

Regardless, two things are certain, it will sell like crazy and the visual presentation will be top of class upon release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean like hating a game because of how the character looks? Or does it only work the other way?
It's video games, art, entertainment, etc.. People will have subjective views on what they like and don't like.

I don't always agree with said views, yes, it does get tiring to see every TLoU topic filled with the same broken records, but they reap what they sow.

I was only pushing back that his comment did not come from a place of "hating black people." That is a control tactic.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Where they gonna take the story? I mean...

They blew their load already by killing Joel in the first hour of Part 2. So the biggest emotional punch they could deliver is done and over with. Every character in TLOU2 was a miserable bag of dicks, and most of them are dead. What are they gonna do for Part 3? Have Ellie and Abby form an uneasy alliance while Ellie searches for Dinah, only for Dinah to die or some shit? And before you say they wouldn't do something that obvious, I predicted a long time ago that if they made a sequel they would kill Joel. Low and behold they certainly didn't wait long on that account. The story should've ended with Part 1.
Easily the first game theme was Love, and Second was Hate, this one could be Hope/Redemption. After the second game Ellie needs to find meaning in her life, maybe no sacrifice is needed and she just needs to accept the events that transpired, like Joel find her own reason for living and to fight for, and make peace with everything thats happened in her life to find redemption

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It is honestly so funny that people are complaining about them “milking” TLOU for a third game and then, in the same post, demanding a *SIXTH* Jak and Daxter game.

A Jak and Daxter game that no one would even buy, anyway.
But when was the last Jak and Daxter game? Really?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While I want to see TLOU end on a high note, the fact that this game is likely 3-4 years away means that we wont get a new ND IP until 2030 at best. 17 years after TLOU1.

In a 13 year stretch from 2001 to 2013, ND had released 3 new IPs.

Studio is so poorly run that Im surprised Evan Wells still has a job. Get rid of him and turn that studio into a 3 team studio releasing games every 3 years like COD does. Promote from within and turn lead designers into directors. Having Neil as the only creative director is hurting the studio. They hired the Lost Legacy director back from Crystal Dynamics but instead of giving him a new IP or even an Uncharted reboot, they had him slave away on a remake that did not touch a single line of dialogue and literally reused the same cutscenes. Imagine directing Lost Legacy and Avengers and then being forced to oversee a simple asset flip. They let the Uncharted 2 lead game designer walk. They let Bruce Straley walk. They botched Amy Henning's departure. Let the Uncharted 3 game director walk. So much talent left ND its insane that they were still able to make TLOU2 so high quality.

But it's clear that their output has taken a nosedive because its become a Neil Drunckman studio. Who knew ND stood for Neil Druckman.

Even if they made a new IP, I don't see ND abandoning their trademark cinematic story-based experience. In which case it doesn't matter to me what IP they work on. The formula has gotten stale.

Del_X

I'm fine with this. Would be cool kind of seeing a cure happen and society coming back as Ellie or whoever ages and feels like the world really has no place for them. Do outlaw shit along the way.

Last edited:

J3nga

Oh, I thought they mostly disbanded and any remaining employees were only working on remakes or remakes at this point
I assume people want to work there for that resume record for a couple of years maybe then just GTFO. Similar to when people work at Microsoft, Google, Amazon etc. just get that fancy record and move somewhere else.

Damn...give it a rest.......Horizon is petering out, GOW has run it's course, Uncharted doesn't need sequels and TLOU just needs to go away.

Try something new for gods sake!!
WE NEED FIRST PARTY FPS GAMES BACK!

Like fuck me imagine Resistance or a Killzone 2 esq reboot in Decima. I would fucking die.

lachesis

Looking back at their history of Naughty dog's games - Crash Bandicoot (PS1) to Jack/Dexter (PS2), to Uncharted to Last of Us... (PS3, 4 and 5) I think they have a knack for reading the trend of what people want in general - I would however loved to seem them to expand their dev talent to different genres, and do more experimental things than only sticking to the one genre for 3 generations - in shorter dev cycles too.

I mean, they are probably one of the larger 1st party dev for Sony, if not the largest (I could be wrong - maybe Bungee? SMS?) - would love to see more output.

tmlDan

I'm curious as to why people in this thread are okay with gears 10 and halo 15 or GT8 or GTA 10 or Mario 15 but when ND wants to make a LoU3 it's suddenly a problem?

I, too, want a new IP - but it's strange that they are set to different standards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom