• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog still working on TLoU Multiplayer - will give the team time to realise their ambition

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/naught...ltiplayer-project-in-short-were-working-on-it

Doesn't sound close to be honest?

While Naughty Dog may not have revealed any new details on the upcoming The Last of Us multiplayer project, it took the time on The Last of Us Day 2021 to ensure fans that it is actively working on it and that it will "reveal more when it's ready!"

Naughty Dog's Rochelle Snyder shared the news in a community update after thanking the fans and the team who have all collectively made The Last of Us into the success it has become. Jokingly, Naughty Dog then included this question as a fan would write;

"Yeah, that's lovely and great Naughty Dog, but what are you doing with The Last of Us right now?"

"In short, we’re working on it," Naughty Dog answered. "We see the community comments as many of you clamor for multiplayer and want updates. For now, we’ll say that we love what the team is developing and want to give them time to build out their ambitious project, we’ll reveal more when it’s ready!

"To that end, we’ve been busy growing our team inside the kennel since The Last of Us Part II launched and are currently in full swing of hiring for MP-related positions (hint hint), so if you or somebody you know qualifies for anything you see on our jobs page, apply!"

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Its going to be an open world PVP/battle royale type of game with hub base system in Destiny.

Seems to be big.

My assumption anyway.

Lupin25

If it’s truly a standalone project then:
  • Online cinematic multiplayer story for the main game.
  • To build upon Factions II, an open-world battle royale
  • PVP, team death match, or a multiplayer horde mode similar to World War Z.

I’m presuming and predicting the game to drop Spring 2023 with next year being so stacked. If not for the pandemic, 2022 would’ve probably been the goal.

Edit: With as big as ND is appearing to grow, I’d predict a main team working on a new IP, with the standalone MP title and The Last of Us Remake being lesser, but still, clearly important projects.

Since TLOU2 wrapped up just a little more than a year ago and a remake (likely) is on the way (to go along with TV adaptation), they’d probably want to allow the universe of TLOU to breath a bit, at least until the end of the gen.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I always thought they were already way into the development of this when the main game dropped. Wonder when we will see this in action.

Rac3r

Late PS3/PS4 gen I was obsessed with Factions, so this has pretty much been my most anticipated multiplayer game since TLOU2 was announced... almost 5 years ago. Sadly I've accepted this game wont be coming out anytime soon, and when it does, I doubt I'll have much time to play.

It sucks because competitive multiplayer games have gotten so stale. At this point I'm just praying that the new Warzone map is good or even fucking Halo.

Armorian

Banned
I'll translate it for you:

'We dont know what we're doing'

Naughty Dog:

1*snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png

John Wick

They need to hire more staff. This is getting a bit ridiculous that they still haven't finished it. Probably Sony's premier developer and they have trouble recruiting enough staff and retaining them. It's not like they are short of money to pay the extra devs.

Strange decision to wait so long to release this project. Seems like the hype/controversy surrounding TLOU2 came and went, and people have moved on to other games it seems...

ZywyPL

Banned
Given the development time and focus this project gets, it better ends up as being one of the next big thing like Fortnite, Minecraft, PUBG, Warzone, Destiny, SoT etc. that lasts for years with healthy/growing community. Because I cannot imagine it being dead after a month or two like previous ND's MP titles after all that time and effort, it better brings something new to the table that hasn't been done before, and it better be good while doing so.

Elios83

Hopefully they can move on ASAP from this and the TLOU remake because I'm really not interested. I fear that this gen I might not be interested in Naughty Dog's output until really late in the gen.
Give me a new IP or at least a new Uncharted conceived for PS5.

Godot25

Banned
I really wonder when the next "big" Naughty Dog game will release. They are making Factions multiplayer for a long time and on top of that they are making a remake of The Last of Us. Sounds to me, that next big project will be out at the end of PS5 generation (2026?). At best...

Last edited:

reksveks

I'm just curious if they are going to censor the entire pal version again just because of Germany and Australia.
I don't see graphical settings having much of any difference on performance so they could in theory query the users location and disable/enable using that but suspect they won't.

Kokoloko85

Maybe they are putting alot more effort into it and making it a stand alone game.

They only released TLOU2 last year so this might be 2 years away

Vick

Gold Member
Because I cannot imagine it being dead after a month or two like previous ND's MP titles after all that time and effort
Seems like a waste of time for something that'll have a dead player count in 6 months.
Did i wake up in an alternate reality or something?

People still play Factions after 8 years and do the same for the now 5 years old U4 Multi?

giphy.gif

Umbasaborne

Banned
Probably safe to assume this is way more than just tlou pt 2 mulitplayer now. And it will likely be sold as a full priced game

Business

Because I cannot imagine it being dead after a month or two like previous ND's MP titles after all that time and effort, it better brings something new to the table that hasn't been done before, and it better be good while doing so.

Factions was well alive for years. What are you talking about?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Take your time. There is no shortage of games for PlayStation. Just take your time and make something great. No need to copy paste the usual MP stuff from other games; give us something awesome.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Hiring for GAAS title could literally mean the game is coming out next week...or in 2024. No one has any idea really.

Salz01

It’s disappointing they still have nothing to show. I feel like they don’t know what they are doing or they are probably all burned out. Plus with the focus on the HBO show, which I could care less about, they might be all stretched too thin. I miss Naughty Dog of old.

yurinka

Were there rumours that this got rebooted last year or something?
No. Druckmann said they originally were making a multiplayer game mode for TLOU2. But as happened with Lost Legacy, it's scope and ambition became too big so they decided it was better to move it to a separate, standalone game and to release TLOU2 without multiplayer.

I feel like they don’t know what they are doing or they are probably all burned out. Plus with the focus on the HBO show, which I could care less about, they might be all stretched too thin. I miss Naughty Dog of old.
Their multiplayer modes for TLOU1 and Uncharted were great. It's a studio that released several GOTY games, and their most recent one was released last year and it's the most awarded game ever. They obviously know what they are doing. They only need some time to develop their stuff, like any other team.

Or who knows, maybe they are waiting to have the PS5 version of TLOU2 and the TLOU1 remake ready to announce the 3 projects at the same time as part of a hypothetical TLOU2 Director's Cut. Or who knows, maybe they have it ready to show it but are waiting to show it in a later event once they have more consoles in the stores (Game Awards or PSX Experience in December maybe?)

So ND is working on: A tv show, A remake, an online game. All from same IP. And also a remaster.

So exciting
1522325846-jesusopti.png

-They are not making a TV show. Only their co-director, director and writer co-wrote it and will direct at least one episode, other people is making the TV show.
-The remake is being made by the Sony Visual Arts Service Group team that did open a 2nd Sony studio in San Diego.
-The remaster is being made by Iron Galaxy.

-They released the most awarded game ever last year.
-Instead of releasing a MP game mode for that game as they did with their previous games, they are expanding it into a standalone game (during some time with help from Bend, these two studios always help each other).
-They overview, provide material and support the remaster and the remake.
-The remake was pitched to be bundled with the PS5 version of TLOU2, so pretty likely ND is making a PS5 version of TLOU2/it's Director's Cut
-They were making an Uncharted spin-off (with help from Bend until Bend got their new IP greenlighted) that we don't know if got canned or not when Bend left the project.
-They made some TLOU3 preproduction, at least Druckmann wrote the main story just in case they decide to develop it in the future.
-They have been rumored to be working on a new IP, but I assume it only would have been preproduction and they will wait to release some of their current products before moving it to full production.
-The codirectors of the studio mentioned they're interested to continue working with Uncharted, TLOU and making new IPs.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Factions was well alive for years. What are you talking about?

UC2-4 didn't have long legs, to say very politely, whereas TLoU while indeed stick for longer than any UC title before, wasn't a smash hit either, nothing industry shaking. It has it's dedicated die-hard fanbase like all games do, but that's about it. And Factions was a MP mode that was just thrown there into the game, whereas F2 seems like a dedicated, standalone project that takes even longer to develop than the SP campaign, so I really expect it to perform much better than for example Grounded with 5M userbase or SoT with 15M, otherwise it'll be nothing but a wasted time and money.

Last edited:
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/naught...ltiplayer-project-in-short-were-working-on-it

Doesn't sound close to be honest?

While Naughty Dog may not have revealed any new details on the upcoming The Last of Us multiplayer project, it took the time on The Last of Us Day 2021 to ensure fans that it is actively working on it and that it will "reveal more when it's ready!"

Naughty Dog's Rochelle Snyder shared the news in a community update after thanking the fans and the team who have all collectively made The Last of Us into the success it has become. Jokingly, Naughty Dog then included this question as a fan would write;

"Yeah, that's lovely and great Naughty Dog, but what are you doing with The Last of Us right now?"

"In short, we’re working on it," Naughty Dog answered. "We see the community comments as many of you clamor for multiplayer and want updates. For now, we’ll say that we love what the team is developing and want to give them time to build out their ambitious project, we’ll reveal more when it’s ready!

"To that end, we’ve been busy growing our team inside the kennel since The Last of Us Part II launched and are currently in full swing of hiring for MP-related positions (hint hint), so if you or somebody you know qualifies for anything you see on our jobs page, apply!"
🤔What she says is terribly vague...the question asked is "What are you doing with The Last Of Us right now" they don't ask about The Multiplayer, but about the whole franchise and the answer is just as broad ...oh we see the community asking for MP blah blah..but we love what they're working on! Huh? That didn't really address anything related to "Multiplayer" the way it reads.

Top Bottom