• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nba 2k22 on pc will be based on the old-gen version

Brofist

Weird to think that Japanese publishers are taking PC more seriously than western publishers now.
It mostly seems like it’s the sports games only. The PC isn’t really the go to platform for sports games. And it makes sense if you think about it.

It’s a harder sell to sell sports games with tiny incremental yearly upgrades to PC gamers that can mod the game to update rosters and customize the game. They want full control on that. The way to to get around that is to release a version with a vague “next-gen” feature with a nicely marketed gimmicky name and make people playing the version without it feel like they are missing out on something.

Futaleufu

Games like Doom 3, Crysis and The Witcher 2 had graphical settings that were impossible to run on PCs at the time...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

?

Anyway as others have pointed out - EA/2K have been doing this for 3 gens now - PC always lags several years before getting 'nexgen' version.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
2K did this with NBA 2k14 as well. PC got the 360/ps3 version while PS4/XB1 had the 'next-gen' shit.

This is nothing new and you're talkin out your ass.

Lol, wasn't meant as a cut to you and your precious pc. The move away from full yearly updates for sports games on pc had been obvious, I can't be responsible for you being blind.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Survival crafting or simulation games works better on PC, otherwise everything else plays better on console.

UnNamed

Banned
Don't know why this discussion is focused on GPU.
Graphics can be scaled, it's not a problem if you have a range between an Intel 630 to a RTX 3090.

I think the problem is on CPU side and memory bus (HDD, etc). According to STEAM, only 12% of users have a 8core CPU.

2 years in a row now. The pc community is small for the game and it’s full of hackers so take2 probably sees no incentive to support the game on the platform since most people don’t buy into the micro-transactions.

Haggard

Banned
Not according to NeoGaf. Everybody on here has a super computer.
Which is probably actually somewhat true since internet boards are usually for enthusiasts who tend to go for enthusiast level hardware.

Last edited:

Miles708

I must confess that i somewhat enjoy pc master race still trying to justify all the salaries thrown out on promises.
Next-gen consoles early adopters are equally entertaining.

Keep drinking hype, people. Keep me entertained.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Lol, wasn't meant as a cut to you and your precious pc. The move away from full yearly updates for sports games on pc had been obvious, I can't be responsible for you being blind.

There hasn't been a 'move away' though. It's always been this way. The fact you've never noticed proves how blind you were.

hlm666

Didn't these sports games go missing in action from pc for years and only recently started to be released again? And it's a shock there's fuck all audience for it? I might just go and reinstall the current best selling playstation game on my pc (cyberpunk) and continue to forget that sports games are now just glorified slot machine rackets.

recursive

Did not expect this from both EA and Take2. I guess the high end PC adoption isnt as large enough at the moment.

Looking at the steam spy charts, I see that the RTX 20 and 30 series cards are roughly around 15% of the market.

The 5700 and 5700xt are very low at around 2% and I dont even see the new 6000 series cards from AMD. If I had to guess, there are around 20% of users with next gen cards. So 20-30 million? Surely that market is large enough for them to release a next gen SKU? Maybe PC gamers dont buy yearly sports titles?

I am still stuck with my 1080ti due to stock shortages. I am sure adoption of the 2k and 3k series would have been higher by now if they were more readily available.

FlyyGOD

Which is probably actually somewhat true since internet boards are usually for enthusiasts who tend to go for enthusiast level hardware.
Im sure the average of most people on this message board have a computer gpu that ranges from a 1060 to a 1080 with a few people with higher gpu's. Everyone here isn't rocking a 3080 TI as some would have you to think.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
and I'm sure Sony and other developers will implement it with their boatload of upcoming games on PC
You want him to have a heart attack???!
Let him believe that his plastic box is better than the other if that makes him feel better, also I hate to see the look of a broken dream in the eyes of a kid.

Wait, I can't see his eyes in fact !! S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE you don't know what your talking about, especially here.

S0ULZB0URNE

NBA 2K22 doesn't have anything to do with direct storage, and I'm sure Sony and other developers will implement it with their boatload of upcoming games on PC. So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?
I figured you wouldn't actually read what I posted in regards to reasons the PC would have port issues. I will gladly quote from it for you :)

"PC gamers who have been rocking the so solid state for an age… but equally could result in another round of console ports treating the poor PC like a last-gen device."

"there are still a whole lot of hard drives still out there in PC land. That means a lot of cross platform game developers will still be looking to target those spinning platters because of the broad HDD install base in PC gaming.

And that could hold back the PC being seen as a next-gen compatible gaming platform by devs targeting the lowest common tech denominator. That might see us getting the shitty end of the console port stick once again, with the PC versions being more akin to PS4 or Xbox One versions of a game rather than high-end PS5 or Series X iterations."

The article was written in 2019 and now in 2021 because of old storage tech still being supported on the PC we are seeing PC getting the worst end of the stick.

EA and Take 2 are among the top 3rd party developers and surely others will follow suit.
That's the bad news. The good news is Direct Storage can alleviate this issue IF 3rd party devs hop on board but how long until we see the fruits of this is another issue altogether.

EDIT: No boat load of Sony made Playstation games have been announced.
Continue to port beg.

Last edited:

Brofist

NBA 2K22 doesn't have anything to do with direct storage, and I'm sure Sony and other developers will implement it with their boatload of upcoming games on PC. So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make?
I'm sure yearly retread of sports game x requires the latest direct storage tech. /s

This is a decision on the corporate level plain and simple. No technical limitations here. Some ass in a board room is the limitation.

Last edited:
I figured you wouldn't actually read what I posted in regards to reasons the PC would have port issues. I will gladly quote from it for you :)

"PC gamers who have been rocking the so solid state for an age… but equally could result in another round of console ports treating the poor PC like a last-gen device."

"there are still a whole lot of hard drives still out there in PC land. That means a lot of cross platform game developers will still be looking to target those spinning platters because of the broad HDD install base in PC gaming.

And that could hold back the PC being seen as a next-gen compatible gaming platform by devs targeting the lowest common tech denominator. That might see us getting the shitty end of the console port stick once again, with the PC versions being more akin to PS4 or Xbox One versions of a game rather than high-end PS5 or Series X iterations."

The article was written in 2019 and now in 2021 because of old storage tech still being supported on the PC we are seeing PC getting the worst end of the stick.

EA and Take 2 are among the top 3rd party developers and surely others will follow suit.
That's the bad news. The good news is Direct Storage can alleviate this issue IF 3rd party devs hop on board but how long until we see the fruits of this is another issue altogether.

EDIT: No boat load of Sony made Playstation games have been announced.
Continue to port beg.
So... Out of curiosity, NBA 2K22 was using an older model on PC, because lack of direct storage? Would you say this is the best looking games of this generation on consoles in that case? Cause if you don't believe that, I'm not sure why you are trying to have a conversation with me? You've been beaten by your own logic.

And yes, there will be ps4/5 games on PC, whether it be before or after direct storage is implemented, regardless, they will be there. But they won't be that great on PC, only because the fact that they are going to be released on PC. But until they are announced, they are the best looking games ever.

No sarcasm either.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

So... Out of curiosity, NBA 2K22 was using an older model on PC, because lack of direct storage? Would you say this is the best looking games of this generation on consoles in that case? Cause if you don't believe that, I'm not sure why you are trying to have a conversation with me? You've been beaten by your own logic.

And yes, there will be ps4/5 games on PC, whether it be before or after direct storage is implemented, regardless, they will be there. But they won't be that great on PC, only because the fact that they are going to be released on PC. But until they are announced, they are the best looking games ever.

No sarcasm either.
The link I posted to you from 2019 predicted that PC ports would suffer due to ancient storage solutions still being supported and two years later the prediction they feared has come to fruition.

I do think direct storage support can help this situation but obviously that's a ways off as certain Publishers already are making last gen versions for upcoming games like the link I posted assumed.

Of course some PS4 and 3rd party PS5 games will come to PC.

If you continue to say Sony made PS5 exclusives are coming without any proof you are trolling.

So what is it?

The link I posted to you from 2019 predicted that PC ports would suffer due to ancient storage solutions still being supported and two years later the prediction they feared has come to fruition.

I do think direct storage support can help this situation but obviously that's a ways off as certain Publishers already are making last gen versions for upcoming games like the link I posted assumed.

Of course some PS4 and 3rd party PS5 games will come to PC.

If you continue to say Sony made PS5 exclusives are coming without any proof you are trolling.

So what is it?
Why would a ps4 game require direct storage lmfao!!!

Where did Sony say only ps4 games? They only said they will continue to release their library of games on PC. No mention of only ps4 or only 3rd party ps5 games like you keep trying to make others believe. If you for some weird reason think 1st party Sony games are NOT coming to PC, please provide a link, quote, etc. Cause I can guarantee they will be coming, and probably won't require direct storage. Maybe a few years out, they may require it for ps5 1st party games on PC, but NBA 2K22 is not one of them. It does NOT require direct storage.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Why would a ps4 game require direct storage lmfao!!!

Where did Sony say only ps4 games? They only said they will continue to release their library of games on PC. No mention of only ps4 or only 3rd party ps5 games like you keep trying to make others believe. If you for some weird reason think 1st party Sony games are NOT coming to PC, please provide a link, quote, etc. Cause I can guarantee they will be coming, and probably won't require direct storage. Maybe a few years out, they may require it for ps5 1st party games on PC, but NBA 2K22 is not one of them. It does NOT require direct storage.
Who said a PS4 game required Direct Storage?
You really don't understand YIKES!

Where did Sony say PS5 games?
The only actual Sony made games that have released for PC have been older last gen hand me downs and rumors of a even (drum roll) older game Uncharted 4.
Not a single indication of Sony doing anymore than the above in fact Jim Ryan said PS5 would have the most exclusives.
But you continue to lie and say otherwise.
Lying and port begging aint cool.

Who said a PS4 game required Direct Storage?
You really don't understand YIKES!

Where did Sony say PS5 games?
The only actual Sony made games that have released for PC have been older last gen hand me downs and rumors of a even (drum roll) older game Uncharted 4.
Not a single indication of Sony doing anymore than the above in fact Jim Ryan said PS5 would have the most exclusives.
But you continue to lie and say otherwise.
Lying and port begging aint cool.
Sony said they will keep releasing games on PC. Nothing about ps4 only, which you seem to be implying/lying about for some weird reason. Why do "the best game ever" always become hand me downs with you console warriors. That shit is cringey as hell, and makes you wonder what their motive is?

Console warriors consider games only released on ps5 + PC, as ps5 exclusives still, so nothing to disassemble my argument there.

Being a gate keeper for a corporation that doesn't care about you, but the money they can make is sad and desperate. Sony will continue to release all games to make more money, like they have been saying for the past year. Will be fun to shoot the debbie downers down again, time after time, as you've seen me so several times. Your time is ticking, and bookmarks are being made to laugh at your ridiculous claims (as always)

S0ULZB0URNE

Sony said they will keep releasing games on PC. Nothing about ps4 only, which you seem to be implying/lying about for some weird reason. Why do "the best game ever" always become hand me downs with you console warriors. That shit is cringey as hell, and makes you wonder what their motive is?

Console warriors consider games only released on ps5 + PC, as ps5 exclusives still, so nothing to disassemble my argument there.

Being a gate keeper for a corporation that doesn't care about you, but the money they can make is sad and desperate. Sony will continue to release all games to make more money, like they have been saying for the past year. Will be fun to shoot the debbie downers down again, time after time, as you've seen me so several times. Your time is ticking, and bookmarks are being made to laugh at your ridiculous claims (as always)
Sony said the PS5 would have the most exclusives out of any platform.
Again the only announced games for PC have been PS4 games and rumors of a even older UC4 coming eventually.

I consider XB having no exclusives because the games aren't exclusive to it's platform.
If Sony released it's PS5 games on the PC...they wouldn't be exclusive anymore.
I suggest looking the definition of the word exclusive.

You are the one claiming Sony is doing stuff they aren't without a single drop of evidence.

Last edited:
Sony said the PS5 would have the most exclusives out of any platform.
Again the only announced games for PC have been PS4 games and rumors of a even older UC4 coming eventually.

I consider XB having no exclusives because the games aren't exclusive to it's platform.
If Sony released it's PS5 games on the PC...they wouldn't be exclusive anymore.
I suggest looking the definition of the word exclusive.

You are the one claiming Sony is doing stuff they aren't without a single drop of evidence.
If Sony said they will release their library of games on PC, why would you only think it applies to ps4 only? There's no evidence you have provided to give even the slightest hint to think it's only ps4 games.

As a matter of fact, that's proof that it won't just be PS4 games. Their library of games consist of ps5 games too, am I right? Or do you care to provide some kinda evidence? Same with a correlation of direct storage and NBA 2K22.

We're not dumb, anyone remember "We believe in Generations?"

It's ok if you can't find the answer to either questions, as I didn't really expect you to.

S0ULZB0URNE

If Sony said they will release their library of games on PC, why would you only think it applies to ps4 only? There's no evidence you have provided to give even the slightest hint to think it's only ps4 games.

As a matter of fact, that's proof that it won't just be PS4 games. Their library of games consist of ps5 games too, am I right? Or do you care to provide some kinda evidence? Same with a correlation of direct storage and NBA 2K22.

We're not dumb, anyone remember "We believe in Generations?"

It's ok if you can't find the answer to either questions, as I didn't really expect you to.
Has Sony said a single mention of PS5 games coming to PC?
Can you name ONE Sony made PS5 game on or coming to PC?

You lie and port beg period!

I didn't say what you claimed about Direct Storage so their's nothing to answer.

Has Sony said a single mention of PS5 games coming to PC?
Can you name ONE Sony made PS5 game on or coming to PC?

You lie and port beg period!

I didn't say what you claimed about Direct Storage so their's nothing to answer.
So where did they say only ps4 games? You keep saying that with no reason to believe you, as there is no factual basis. It's not port begging when Sony themselves said their library of games will continue to release on PC. They reiterated it several times, and never once have I read anything about ps4 exclusives only.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be the warriors/gatekeeper for Sony, especially when they let the gates open themselves. Kinda makes your job... Pointless right?

I'll pm you if you don't want to publicly be wrong again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom