• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA has plan in place to return to play. Woj - "The NBA's back."

According to The Athletic's Shams Charania, the NBA has set July 31 as the target date for its return. The NBA's Board of Governors is expected to vote to approve commissioner Adam Silver's recommendation on a format for resuming the season on Thursday, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. As of right now, 22 teams are expected to be invited to Orlando. Those 22 will include the 16 current playoff teams as well as the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns and Washington Wizards.

Once there, the remaining teams would begin a truncated regular season of eight total games per team, per Wojnarowski. Charania reports that it would include a play-in tournament for the eighth seeds in each conference. Those tournaments would only come in to play if the No. 9 seed finishes the shortened regular season within four games of No. 8. If that is the case, the No. 9 seed would have to beat the No. 8 seed twice in a row in order to earn their conference's final playoff spot. The plan also calls for the NBA Draft Lottery and combine to be held in August.

Among health precautions that are expected to be proposed are:

• No showering at arenas. Players would shower at their hotels.
  • Bench players would sit in spread out rows, and inactive players would watch from the stands.
  • Players could not bring guests to Orlando until the playoffs.
This plan would give the NBA roughly two more months to finish organizing its Disney proposal and get its players back up to speed physically with both individual workouts and a second training camp at practice facilities. Teams participating in whatever format the concluded regular season and playoffs take would then travel to Orlando and quarantine before basketball could begin again.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Why the wait, if NBA started tomorrow you could kill half the riots.

We already know that gathering in large groups at the 1000's is not an issue. Just say the basketball games are protest for George Floyd and fill up the stadiums. You can give everyone a pre broken piece of glass and a brick to make it authentic.

Setzer

Glad it's back but July 31st? C'mon now, you guys can get back sooner than that. There's no reason they couldn't resume play by the end of this month if an agreement is reached tomorrow.

kunonabi

I don't know why they're jumping through all these hoops. Just say the games will be in memory of George Floyd and everyone will forget about covid and endorse large groups of people gathering to watch people throw things.

MadAnon

Should've cancelled the season. Games in empty arena? No, thanks. Players themselves will quickly realise how dull it is.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
tenor.gif

They should just cancel the season tbh. I see this having an effect on next seasons scheduling as well. We would be gearing up for the NBA finals now if things were normal.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Hahahahahaha fuck yeah dude, the 8 worst teams in the league don’t even get an invite to play. No hate against them, but fuck em for playing such sorry basketball

Cant wait to see if the LAL have strengthened since then with the two months rest. They had a lot of banged up players, and of course AD being rested is an enormous deal

If I ever get a chance to go to another Laker game

Moogle11

Banned
They should just cancel the season tbh. I see this having an effect on next seasons scheduling as well. We would be gearing up for the NBA finals now if things were normal.

Next season's schedule is likely to be impacted by the predicted resurgence of the virus in late fall through winter anyway. Better to finish this one out since I imagine the next one won't start until spring anyway.

In any case, I'm glad to be getting some sports back. Have watched some Bundesliga, but hard to care since I really only follow EPL and MLS for soccer and most the matches I've watched haven't been close. Will be nice to get those leagues back soon and NBA and hopefully MLB can work something out. Video games and watching sports are my two main hobbies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Forget all this safety bullshit and just start back up like normal. It's beyond clear at this point that no one actually cared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droxcy

Stoked to see my Lakers bring one home this year! Really hoping we can with our team we’re well rounded people just need to know their place and execute.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Stoked to see my Lakers bring one home this year! Really hoping we can with our team we’re well rounded people just need to know their place and execute.
A healthy AD and rested LeBron = Only the Clippers pose a threat now

If LAL can defeat the Clippers in a series, it’s as good as set. Houston may be tough as well. Denver. Even Mavs I would not want to see in playoffs. But I think it’s going to be a great showing for Lakers

Droxcy

A healthy AD and rested LeBron = Only the Clippers pose a threat now

If LAL can defeat the Clippers in a series, it’s as good as set. Houston may be tough as well. Denver. Even Mavs I would not want to see in playoffs. But I think it’s going to be a great showing for Lakers

Going to be an insane match up. These two months everyone’s been working these are going to be some intense matches for sure!

natjjohn

July 31st start is kind of a joke to be so late. Another two months of waiting basically. Get the show started vs even more and more waiting.

Ragnarok

I'm sorry but crowning an NBA champ to a team that doesn't have to go on the road and win in a hostile environment is bullshit and fraudulent. Nothing but a cash grab. Basketball more than any other sport needs a crowd.

I'm sorry but crowning an NBA champ to a team that doesn't have to go on the road and win in a hostile environment is bullshit and fraudulent. Nothing but a cash grab. Basketball more than any other sport needs a crowd.
i think football would need the crowds most, but yeah i see ur point

JLMC469

Banned

What about the possibility of Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving returning to the Nets? Or Philly having a healthy Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid?

I’m not complaining though. But I am going to miss the crowds.

Cutty Flam

Banned
All teams face the exact same challenge lmao. Fraudulent? Far from it. You think The crowd affects the game that significantly? You’re kidding yourself

Last edited:

Ownage

WTF. Wave 2 of COVID-19 is gonna be horrifically worse than what we've seen so far. And people are consciously marching back to "normal" life? If people choose to make such poor decisions, let Darwin sort them out.

WTF. Wave 2 of COVID-19 is gonna be horrifically worse than what we've seen so far. And people are consciously marching back to "normal" life? If people choose to make such poor decisions, let Darwin sort them out.

People have already been out huddled together by the thousands shoulder to shoulder every day for over a week now. The cats already out of the bag.

The media is trying to put it back in but it's too late.

Last edited:

Ragnarok

i think football would need the crowds most, but yeah i see ur point

Both football and basketball have significant home field advantage during the playoffs. I just think it's more important in the NBA because the crowds are literally right on top of the court. It's way more intimate.

What about the possibility of Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving returning to the Nets? Or Philly having a healthy Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid?

Don't give a shit about whiny crybabies like Embiid and Simmons. They'll never win anything. Durant and Irving coming back would be interesting but I really dislike both of those players and think they're bitch made millenial fuck bois.

All teams face the exact same challenge lmao. Fraudulent? Far from it. You think The crowd affects the game that significantly? You’re kidding yourself

I think you're REALLY underestimating how playoff pressure can be amplified under a raucous crowd. I know people looove to think of their athletes as emotionless automatons but history is littered with evidence proving that players choke and succumb to that pressure. You're removing that completely without the crowd. It's nothing more than a fucking pickup game down at the Mickey Mouse sponsored BioDome now. It's lame as fuck.

Also, just to add some statistical flavor, home field advantage increases from a 60% win rate in the regular season to 65% win rate in the playoffs. All that human drama just evaporates now. But let me guess...you're a Lakers fan. So whatever fraudulent bullshit Lebron can pull out of his ass in these shitty fucking "playoffs" counts.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Ragnarok Ragnarok the fans make a difference, but your perspective is way off imo. The players aren't going to be playing any less hard because there will be no fans to cheer and motivate them. They're still going to play hard as fuck if not harder than ever because they are all rested and probably stronger than before the quarantine. Plus we get to hear the players since there will be no crowd, which I'm excited about. You're calling it a pickup game, but you're 100% wrong. When the playoffs start, it will be a playoff game. You must not not know how much goes into their preparation to simply call it "a pickup game" lol

Fans can sway an outcome because they can shift the energy, the mood, etc. But these players are all in for one reason and that is to win. Nothing's going to change that. I'm a big time Lakers fan but I'll tell you straight, I'm no fan of LeBron James on any high level. I severely dislike his approach to the game and have always thought him to be extremely overrated. But now that he's a Laker, I just sit back and observe. My favorite player on the roster is probably Avery Bradley

Cutty Flam

Banned

I don't think Durant will play. He's focused on his healthy this season. It's the smart choice. He destroyed his Achilles, he needs all the rest and strengthening he can get. Better to sit out until next season and be in full confidence of his ability to play 100% and not have a single doubt in his mind. It's almost been a year. But sometimes these injuries take even longer. He's going to have to go all out, let's keep in mind, I bet at the moment, he's likely running but even making it to sprinting activity is a major accomplishment. He's going to have to do start and stops for potentially 40+ minutes each game. I would bet all my savings if I could that he's not returning this season

Ragnarok

Ragnarok Ragnarok the fans make a difference, but your perspective is way off imo. The players aren't going to be playing any less hard because there will be no fans to cheer and motivate them. They're still going to play hard as fuck if not harder than ever because they are all rested and probably stronger than before the quarantine. Plus we get to hear the players since there will be no crowd, which I'm excited about. You're calling it a pickup game, but you're 100% wrong. When the playoffs start, it will be a playoff game. You must not not know how much goes into their preparation to simply call it "a pickup game" lol

Fans can sway an outcome because they can shift the energy, the mood, etc. But these players are all in for one reason and that is to win. Nothing's going to change that. I'm a big time Lakers fan but I'll tell you straight, I'm no fan of LeBron James on any high level. I severely dislike his approach to the game and have always thought him to be extremely overrated. But now that he's a Laker, I just sit back and observe. My favorite player on the roster is probably Avery Bradley

Lol fuckin called it. Lakers fan defending this trash. Sorry bruh enjoy the asterisk.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Lol fuckin called it. Lakers fan defending this trash. Sorry bruh enjoy the asterisk.
You don’t have a single thing to say against my argument lmao. There is no asterisk. That’s the most imbecilic argument you can make. Every team has to face the exact same hurdles

Ragnarok

My point is that playing with no traveling and no crowd isnt a fucking hurdle, hence the asterisk. But keep pretending this stupid shit counts. Hope Goofy presents Lebron with a clown trophy for this clown tournament.

Cutty Flam

Banned
My point is that playing with no traveling and no crowd isnt a fucking hurdle, hence the asterisk. But keep pretending this stupid shit counts. Hope Goofy presents Lebron with a clown trophy for this clown tournament.
Reading comprehension, not even once....

I never said it was a hurdle. I said, all teams have the exact same circumstances in the playoffs. They are rested. They are healthy. They have to compete at the same arena and besides the crowds being gone, this is the same league, playing the same amount of playoff games I can assume, so whoever wins this year is champion regardless of whatever baseless nonsense you wish to continue with. There is no ‘asterisk’ because everything is hard fought in earned in the playoffs. Do you understand now?

And one last time dude, I’m not even a fan of LeBron lol. He’s on the team I love and I can barely even root for the guy lmao

Tell me man, Ragnarok Ragnarok , let’s see what you think. Why is this season going to be counted as less / asterisk in your opinion?

Cutty Flam

Banned
There’s no guarantee Lakers win btw. We’re a tough team, but there are several teams in the league that are not playing around. The Clippers, it pains me to say, are a legitimate threat. Nuggets can surprise, I think they can reach the WCF definitely. Mavs might be able to upset a round. Celtics are tough, Bucks are really tough, Can’t count out Raptors just yet. Houston you cannot count out at all

Lakers are not going to have an easy time at all

Top Bottom