• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: 'Rick and Morty' co-creator Justin Roiland (and Squanch Games Founder/CEO) faces felony domestic violence charges

Gambit2483

How will Phil respond with High on Life being a staple title for Gamepass?
They're not going to pull the game, if that's what you are suggesting.

I don't think he really needs to say anything. Didn't the Developers cut ties with Justin? If anything they could put out a statement regarding their decision and just move forward

Gambit2483

slander to someone who is innocent doesn’t make it ok no matter how bad the accusations are.

Y’all are like a bunch of mothers trying to protect everyone and throwing innocent people under the cultural bus to ruin their lives just in case doesn’t make it ok.

I’m sorry your feelings are hurt but this never ends well if all accusations are taken as truth.
Those tweets he posted aren't mere "accusations". Are they a crime? No, but neither is sexting a minor, but it's still morally wrong by societies standards and will absolutely come with some form of reprimanding and consequences.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Those tweets he posted aren't mere "accusations". Are they a crime? No, but neither is sexting a minor, but it's still morally wrong by societies standards and will absolutely come with some form of reprimanding and consequences.

. . .err, I'm pretty sure this isn't true - at least between an adult and a minor.

Scotty W

Gold Member
If he was sending this stuff to girls over the years why has it taken so long to be exposed.
I don’t know much about this guy, but I recall seeing a video of him recording Rick. He seems like an alcoholic with a world of temptations around him who kinda wants to destroy himself.

Gambit2483

. . .err, I'm pretty sure this isn't true - at least between an adult and a minor.
Maybe the more extreme stuff but I'm talking about the flirting that goes on.

This is why they conduct stings for entrapment because it's not technically a crime until the adult actually meets up with the minor because then you can use "intent to commit a crime" to arrest them. Just texting is not a crime per se

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Was that sexting? As I noted before it looks like someone doing a "bit" for laughs with a friend.

And I'm sorry, but intent should be kinda everything with something like this. Why rush to the worst possible interpretation?

I'm not defending Roiling by pointing this, just saying part of being SERIOUS about holding public individuals to task about their conduct is having a sense of proportionality about their transgressions. The felony charges levied against the guy are the issue that should be being focussed on - not this sideshow.

And it has to be said "evidence" like this (which is at best, divorced from context), isn't conclusive of anything but bad taste and worse judgement. Its also presented publicly for unspecified reasons, which should be of concern because I imagine if this was found to be something "leaked" by the prosecution for the criminal charges... say hello to a mistrial.

Xenon

Dude is going to trial for 2 major felonies...

This isn't some random Twitter accusation or something. DA's don't just charge for this shit on a whim as things tend to be hard to prove.

Exactly you never see things going to kyle that have no business going to court.

Banned
Dude is going to trial for 2 major felonies...

This isn't some random Twitter accusation or something. DA's don't just charge for this shit on a whim as things tend to be hard to prove.

the issue is that the studio and channel knew about these charges for 2 years.
they only act now after the online outcry.

that's clearly just done to cover their asses and not because they actually wanted to get rid of him for what he was going on trial for.

so it's the clearly fake virtue signaling shit that's annoying. if they truly cared they would have fired him 2 years ago, not only after people actually started writing headlines about it.
they didn't care, they only care about public perception.

Gambit2483

Was that sexting? As I noted before it looks like someone doing a "bit" for laughs with a friend.

And I'm sorry, but intent should be kinda everything with something like this. Why rush to the worst possible interpretation?

I'm not defending Roiling by pointing this, just saying part of being SERIOUS about holding public individuals to task about their conduct is having a sense of proportionality about their transgressions. The felony charges levied against the guy are the issue that should be being focussed on - not this sideshow.

And it has to be said "evidence" like this (which is at best, divorced from context), isn't conclusive of anything but bad taste and worse judgement. Its also presented publicly for unspecified reasons, which should be of concern because I imagine if this was found to be something "leaked" by the prosecution for the criminal charges... say hello to a mistrial.
I didn't say he was sexting, just that what he posted and other examples of sexting aren't exactly crimes.

Also it appears as though he's being doing this with multiple minors so hopefully it's just him being an ass online and not a precursor to something...more/worse.

The felony charges are obviously more important to his freedom, no one us arguing against that but it's probably the Twitter child abuse texts leaking that ultimately got him fired. Adult Swim doesn't want anything to do with him just in case these disgusting tweets aren't the worst of it.

Last edited:

th4tguy

It’s crazy how people can actually come in here and defend this guy, criticizing the companies that have stopped doing business him.
The fact of the matter is Justin Roiland is bad for business. He is in the news for pretty negative things and this makes companies associated with him look bad by association. They have every right to go their separate ways.
As for squanch, it is Justin’s company. He chose to leave it on his own as to not negatively hurt its business while he is going through this.
How is anyone going to get pissed at CN for doing what Justin himself is doing?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I didn't say he was sexting, just that what he posted and other examples of sexting aren't exactly crimes.

Also it appears as though he's being doing this with multiple minors so hopefully it's just him being an ass online and not a precursor to something...more/worse.

The felony charges are obviously more important to his freedom, no one us arguing against that but it's probably the Twitter child abuse texts leaking that ultimately got him fired. Adult Swim doesn't want anything to do with him just in case these disgusting tweets aren't the worst of it.

. . .cmon man. What is with this "Oh gosh I hope it isn't as bad as it looks" perspective? This is almost surely going to come out and be as bad as it looks.

Gambit2483

. . .cmon man. What is with this "Oh gosh I hope it isn't as bad as it looks" perspective? This is almost surely going to come out and be as bad as it looks.

😂

Good ficking lord. If I say "blue" some areshole on here tells me, "no red!"

If I say "red" another arsehole jumps out yo say, "no blue!"

I'm done responding to this thread.

NahaNago

A lost job can be given back. People distances from you can return if you've been cleared. The only thing linking them to a crime if they are innocent will be their innocence in relation to it. Most of the damage is capable of being undone entirely. Any holdouts who swear up and down the guy is guilty regardless weren't worth keeping around you anyway.

There are some cases where you get cleared but the public still hages you like with Casey Anthony. But you can argue she did suspicious things even if she wasn't found guilty and the nature of the crime would've resulted in that anyway.

Theres no way to know if the suspect is being protected, but you can guarantee potential victims are being protected. The alternative is to be completely up om the air, and for what exactly? The name will likely come out during the trial anyway, and of the person is guilty then the publication trust in the system is potentially undermined further given you could agree their duty and entire purpose of existing is to contribute to the protection and safety of the public society they operate in, not to simply protect one person.
You've still lost your job and the stink of the accusation will still stick. Would anyone really go back to a job that dropped you because of an accusation?

Even if you get cleared, your life and that of your family could still be devastated. Don't forget about all of the drama will go through and all of the trauma they will have from this.

You are still under the assumption that he is guilty and so are saving potential victims. You don't know that you are saving anyone. The face can be shown after the verdict if he is guilty. The name will come out like you said. It's not like everyone around that person won't know what is happening so I'm sure it will spread. What you want sounds like a burning the witch to protect society.

Last edited:
You've still lost your job and the stink of the accusation will still stick. Would anyone really go back to a job that dropped you because of an accusation?
I wouldn't go back to a job (or a set of people) if I got dropped over baseless accusations.

Fake people / jobs are the worst set of associates imaginable. They threw you to the wall, and basically demonstrated their lack of care.

I'd never go back to those type of people.

Toons

Banned

Even if you get cleared, your life and that of your family could still be devastated. Don't forget about all of the drama will go through and all of the trauma they will have from this.

You are still under the assumption that he is guilty and so are saving potential victims. You don't know that you are saving anyone. The face can be shown after the verdict if he is guilty. The name will come out like you said. It's not like everyone around that person won't know what is happening so I'm sure it will spread. What you want sounds like a burning the witch to protect society.

Burning, no. Temporary separation for the sake of others yes. If a person shows symptoms of an illness we quarantine them. They may turn out not to have it anyway but quarantine can prevent spread to others just in case. Same rationale.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Burning, no. Temporary separation for the sake of others yes. If a person shows symptoms of an illness we quarantine them. They may turn out not to have it anyway but quarantine can prevent spread to others just in case. Same rationale.
Oh like saying someone has leprosy in the past and sending them to a lepers colony and pretty much dooming them for the rest of their life with the stigma of leprosy even if they didn't even have it. Same rationale.

It’s crazy how people can actually come in here and defend this guy, criticizing the companies that have stopped doing business him.
The fact of the matter is Justin Roiland is bad for business. He is in the news for pretty negative things and this makes companies associated with him look bad by association. They have every right to go their separate ways.
As for squanch, it is Justin’s company. He chose to leave it on his own as to not negatively hurt its business while he is going through this.
How is anyone going to get pissed at CN for doing what Justin himself is doing?
People have a bad habit of defending the worst people standing on their weird own ideology. I love R&M, Sad that Hulu will probably cut ties so well never see the end of the wall, and High on Life was superb, but I blame no company for cutting ties, especially after his especially weird messages with the 16 year old girl. That's indefensible to me. Not screaming lock him up as it isn't a crime but that man deserves no platform.
How will Phil respond with High on Life being a staple title for Gamepass?
Why would he? Games out, just don't help fund a sequel...sucks because the game was a massive hit, but can't be out here funding a wife abusing pedo.

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
Oh like saying someone has leprosy in the past and sending them to a lepers colony and pretty much dooming them for the rest of their life with the stigma of leprosy even if they didn't even have it. Same rationale.
No, because back then leprosy didn't have a cure lol.

Im talking about a situation where one can return to their life afterwards and the citizens have been protected from any potential threat.

TheOtherGuy

Neo Member
There is a thin line between cancel culture and punishing creeps.

I think his firing was the latter. He's been flirting with pedophilia and grooming apparently and that where i draw the line. After those messages came out i dont need to see the end of his trial to be honest.

I wish they cancelled the show tbh since he is both rick and morty (and a lot more). S06 was pretty awsome and they would be ending it on a high note. But i guess that show is too big to fail now.

Anyway, have fun grooming 16 years old justin. Tuh tuh!

Topher

Gold Member

Matthew Broderick GIF

TheOtherGuy

Neo Member
Jesus Christ dude. Wtf!?

Cursing hanson and protecting the pedos on that show has to be the biggest red flag ever.

Is hollywood just a gathering place for pedos and rapist? Cuz it sure feels like it.

How was this conversation normal 11 years ago?
"Oh he's just being edgy" - Some asshat fan of someone who did something shitty.

Soosa

Banned
Jesus Christ dude. Wtf!?

Cursing hanson and protecting the pedos on that show has to be the biggest red flag ever.

Is hollywood just a gathering place for pedos and rapist? Cuz it sure feels like it.

How was this conversation normal 11 years ago?
Havent seen The show, but pedophiles dont like teens, they like young children.

If someone says that "14y old whom look like older looks hot to me" doesnt make them pedo, if said woman is truly well developed and looks like 16-18 years old and maybe they dont know their age.

From biological standpoint, when female shows signs of being ready to carry a child, men can start to chase them.

Nowadays it can be hard to know if someone is 16 or 20, with all The makeup and faster growing. And 16 is legal age on many western countries.

Now to like children, like 0-12 year old, that is being pedo.

ikbalCO

Havent seen The show, but pedophiles dont like teens, they like young children.

If someone says that "14y old whom look like older looks hot to me" doesnt make them pedo, if said woman is truly well developed and looks like 16-18 years old and maybe they dont know their age.

From biological standpoint, when female shows signs of being ready to carry a child, men can start to chase them.

Nowadays it can be hard to know if someone is 16 or 20, with all The makeup and faster growing. And 16 is legal age on many western countries.

Now to like children, like 0-12 year old, that is being pedo.
What the hell is this post bro?

You cant reduce pedophilia to physical attractions and be done with it.

Its never only on paper. It is a predatory behaviour from an adult towards a person that can not protect themselves, do not know any better and open to manipulations. Obviously aggressors always are adults and victims are always children and teenagers. But suggesting if they are fully developed its not as bad would open doors for a world of chaos in the future.

Regardless ive never called him a pedo but he has been flirting with the idea apparently which makes him a giant and a dangerous creep.

Last edited:

NahaNago

No, because back then leprosy didn't have a cure lol.

Im talking about a situation where one can return to their life afterwards and the citizens have been protected from any potential threat.
I said the person was accused of having leprosy.

That person could always return to the life they had afterwards if the symptoms they had cleared up but the damage to that person is already done.

This is like publicly banning someone from your store for the potential threat of them stealing your products just because someone accused them of being a thief. It can be cleared up that you got the wrong person, but it doesn't remove the shame and embarrassment of the public banning.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You cant reduce pedophilia to physical attractions and be done with it.

Its never only on paper. It is a predatory behaviour from an adult towards a person that can not protect themselves, do not know any better and open to manipulations
Ehh no, let's not go redefine the word based on your feelings, it's why so many people use it wrong (and get others in trouble for nothing); friend of mine said he felt like a pedo because he made out with a girl 9 years younger than him, she was 20....pedo means pre-pubescent (so the complete absence of secondary sexual characteristics) and philia means preference, and not in the sense that you prefer burgers over pizza and still like pizza, but like a sexual preference, so you only like burgers.
It's a very clear defined attraction scientifically, and it's also what every law around the world uses to determine if something was an 'act of pedophilia', not whatever headcanon you just came up with.

ikbalCO

Ehh no, let's not go redefine the word based on your feelings, it's why so many people use it wrong (and get others in trouble for nothing); friend of mine said he felt like a pedo because he made out with a girl 9 years younger than him, she was 20....pedo means pre-pubescent (so the complete absence of secondary sexual characteristics) and philia means preference, and not in the sense that you prefer burgers over pizza and still like pizza, but like a sexual preference, so you only like burgers.
It's a very clear defined attraction scientifically, and it's also what every law around the world uses to determine if something was an 'act of pedophilia', not whatever headcanon you just came up with.
Ok. I stand corrected.

But still let not excuse predatoru behaviours with dictionary definitions.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I wish they cancelled the show tbh since he is both rick and morty (and a lot more). S06 was pretty awsome and they would be ending it on a high note. But i guess that show is too big to fail now.

Anyway, have fun grooming 16 years old justin. Tuh tuh!
I thought that too, but apparently he has had no involvement in the last four seasons other than voice acting, and even that was recorded separately from other actors. It seems like they've been quarantining him for a while because he's a sex pest and a legal liability.

So with that in mind, why not keep it going. I am sure you can find other people to do the voices without it even sounding different, like they did for Cleveland in Family Guy or Missy in Big Mouth.

SF Kosmo

He wasn't fired for the thing he is on trial for though.

He was fired for the dozens of documented cases of him talking sexually to underage girls that they became aware of.

They're not going to say that in a statement, and many outlets won't even report about it because of the potential libel, so they just reference the charges but that isn't the real reason.

phant0m

He wasn't fired for the thing he is on trial for though.

He was fired for the dozens of documented cases of him talking sexually to underage girls that they became aware of.

They're not going to say that in a statement, and many outlets won't even report about it because of the potential libel, so they just reference the charges but that isn't the real reason.

Yup. Honestly I couldn't really give a shit about the DV thing. They're often very complicated and media reporting is one-sided. Let the courts figure it out, and if he's convicted then do as you need. He's getting cancelled because of the pretty fucking disgusting stuff he DM'd to underage girls. Honestly the only thing that sorta bothers me is why those girls came forward now. The receipts I've seen aren't recent, they're from 2014 and 2015. Roiland isn't recently famous. Why didn't they come out when the MeToo movement exploded in 2017/2018 or the many years since? Were they just waiting for someone to press charges against him? At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, he did what he did but I do find it curious.

"But just saying that stuff isn't illegal! nO cRiMe HeRe BoYs!"

Who fucking gives a shit? It's entirely gross behavior and any company, brand, or co-worker that no longer wants to be associated with him because of it is free to do so. You don't have to commit a crime to be fired. Also, I don't know about where you guys work, but if I got felony charges put against me my employer would drop me faster than you could even say "cancel culture". Maybe, at best, I'd be put on leave w/o pay until it's resolved.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Yup. Honestly I couldn't really give a shit about the DV thing. They're often very complicated and media reporting is one-sided. Let the courts figure it out, and if he's convicted then do as you need. He's getting cancelled because of the pretty fucking disgusting stuff he DM'd to underage girls.

"But just saying that stuff isn't illegal! nO cRiMe HeRe BoYs!"

Who fucking gives a shit? It's entirely gross behavior and any company, brand, or co-worker that no longer wants to be associated with him because of it is free to do so. You don't have to commit a crime to be fired. Also, I don't know about where you guys work, but if I got felony charges put against me my employer would drop me faster than you could even say "cancel culture". Maybe, at best, I'd be put on leave w/o pay until it's resolved.
An old interview leaked where he basically talks about being attracted to underage girls and grooming, "but I always wait until they're 18 to do anything." It's entirely gross behavior. Legality isn't the point.

ZehDon

... Who fucking gives a shit? It's entirely gross behavior and any company, brand, or co-worker that no longer wants to be associated with him because of it is free to do so. You don't have to commit a crime to be fired.
Exactly. I think some of the push back here is just the knee-jerk defence that's built up from "cancel culture" stuff, where other people have had their careers tanked due to baseless allegations. Companies are free to disengage with whomever for whatever, but, people have gotten used to the outrage that comes from people being dropped for basically nothing at the behest of social media clowns. So, a bit of the old "throwing the baby out with the water" applies here - people are treating Roiland like Depp in the name of "fuck cancel culture". In this case, any company that wants nothing to do with Roiland is free to drop him. And I gotta say, after reading some of his messages to underage girls, I'd be more than done with him too.

Top Bottom