• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NBC News] Tsunami warning issued in Tonga after undersea volcano erupts | Entire US West Coast on Tsunami Warning

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Tsunami warning issued in Tonga after undersea volcano erupts​

The Pacific nation of Tonga issued a tsunami warning Saturday after an undersea volcano erupted.
Video posted to social media showed large waves washing ashore in coastal areas.
The Tonga Meteorological Services said a tsunami warning had been put in force for all of Tonga.
The eruption Saturday was the latest in a series of spectacular eruptions from the Hunga Tonga Hunga Ha’apai volcano.
A Twitter user identified as Dr. Faka’iloatonga Taumoefolau posted video showing waves crashing ashore.

“Can literally hear the volcano eruption, sounds pretty violent,” he wrote, adding in a later post, “Raining ash and tiny pebbles, darkness blanketing the sky.”
Earlier, the Matangi Tonga news site reported that scientists had observed massive explosions, thunder and lightning near the volcano after it started erupting early Friday.
The site said satellite images showed a 3 mile-wide plume of ash, steam and gas rising up into the air to about 12 miles.
More than 1,400 miles away in New Zealand, officials were warning of storm surges from the eruption.
The National Emergency Management Agency said some parts of New Zealand could expect “strong and unusual currents and unpredictable surges at the shore following a large volcanic eruption.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
For US that just means some killer surfing.

Thread title actually isn't accurate; an "advisory" was issues which just means "check out these waves bruv."

Strong currents and some waves, according to that ABC article:

A tsunami advisory means that a tsunami could produce strong currents or waves near the coastline. However, a tsunami advisory does not indicate a major tsunami event where water is actively entering coastal communities. In this circumstance, the tsunami is only dangerous to those in the water, or on the immediate beach -- like swimmers and boaters.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Geolocation for those interested:
to-02.png

Fbh

Scary stuff.

My sister and her family just started a roadtrip vacation yesterday and the town where they are staying at is being evacuated due to a tsunai alert all the way here in Chile. They say it's very unlikely the town will see any serious danger but authorities have decided to be extra careful (which they've been since they fucked up by not giving a warning after and earthquake 10 years ago which resulted in hundreds of deaths)

I've been hearing that the eruption was somewhere between 100-160mt, and frankly, it was a small eruption compared to what the Earth is capable of.

Humanity: "We're going to make an explosion so large we can't even find a strategic use for it."

Earth: "Hold my beer while I fart."

MastaKiiLA

In theory volcanos could just go wild and end all life on earth without notice right?
Yes. Volcanoes have already done as much in the past. You don't even need to have a volcano in your country. A cluster of volcanoes on the other side of the world could fuck up our lives for hundreds of years. It's so random.

In NZ here and didn't hear anything or maybe I did but didn't pay much attention to what it was.

Then again I'm sleeping through earthquakes all the time. Just last week there was a quake here in NZ. Woke up next morning to my phone notification of an earthquake at 2am in the morning lol.

Hope everyone in Tonga is ok. Scary stuff for a volcano to go apeshit that close to your home.

Last edited:
nvm it was uninhabited. Found an article from 2019 talking about how it formed in 2014 and could last anywhere between 6 and 30 years. The answer was 8 years. So if an island appears out of nowhere, don't start building just yet.

tonga-volcano.JPG

WTF, is that basically a new island because of the explosion?

That was taken in December

Take a look at how different it looked prior

It bulged, caved in, then exploded.

INTERACTIVE-Hunga-Tonga-Hunga-Haapai-1.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom