• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Near-perfect dinosaur feathers found preserved in amber with fossil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
was there just puddles of tree resin everywhere back then? everything is always preserved in amber ice or stone.

Gravidee

Time to crack this thing open!

368879.jpg

I hope one of these days we get an actual small dinosaur body encased in amber.

Wow Satan is really upping his game, planting "fossils" that confirm current science fads.
If I was Satan, I would do shit like that all the time. I would be "very long con" Satan, where it takes millions of years to truly appreciate my handiwork but once you get it you get it.

I would also convince straight people to say "yaaas"

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Wow Satan is really upping his game, planting "fossils" that confirm current science fads.

more like god is testing our faith again. anyone who believes that the raptor jesus rode into jerusalem had feathers will surely never see heaven.

Bait title. These are prehistoric birds, so "dinosaurs" in the broadest sense.

oh hush.

so is it known if the colors were preserved? or have they faded to the grey/silver that they mention? that's kind of the most interesting thing to me about these discoveries, since we were always just given depictions of prehistoric animals being grey or green.

Fritz

If I was Satan, I would do shit like that all the time. I would be "very long con" Satan, where it takes millions of years to truly appreciate my handiwork but once you get it you get it.

I would also convince straight people to say "yaaas"

Kinda like a writer on Arrested Development? I like

Wake me when they find PERFECT dino feathers... None of this "near" shit. We've accepted mediocrity as a country and it's sickening.

Concept17

A T-Rex that moves around and twitches like a chicken is incredibly more frightening than the old T-Rex. Just imagine it seeing you, cocking its head sideways, and chasing you.

Fuck that.

mantidor

We are lucky modern birds aren't bigger than us, for any smaller creature they must be terrifying.

Hell, geese are terrifying enough already and they aren't bigger.

T_8171e4_5566466.jpg

This is a recreation of what it looked like.

God this is so unappealing. A large part of the wonder of dinosaurs is the thought of these huge and dangerous creatures roaming the earth that really have no parallel to modern animals. You paint them as giant chickens and the wonder is gone. I'm not amazed by a giant chicken, I'm thinking about how much meat I could fit on the grill.

Toxi

Banned
God this is so unappealing. A large part of the wonder of dinosaurs is the thought of these huge and dangerous creatures roaming the earth that really have no parallel to modern animals. You paint them as giant chickens and the wonder is gone. I'm not amazed by a giant chicken, I'm thinking about how much meat I could fit on the grill.
That Tyrannosaurus reconstruction is joking. It almost certainly had feathers, but not nearly that thick of a layer, considering the warm climate of late Cretaceous North America.

Also, a large part of the wonder of non-avian dinosaurs is that they were real animals. They were not monsters or demons, they were beautiful diverse creatures that really existed and fed and slept and bred and sickened and grew old and died. Seeing a Tyrannosaurus as just a scary set of jaws is like seeing a lion as just a scary set of jaws; it's missing all the wonderful stuff beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom