• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Near-perfect dinosaur feathers found preserved in amber with fossil

Status
Not open for further replies.
God this is so unappealing. A large part of the wonder of dinosaurs is the thought of these huge and dangerous creatures roaming the earth that really have no parallel to modern animals. You paint them as giant chickens and the wonder is gone. I'm not amazed by a giant chicken, I'm thinking about how much meat I could fit on the grill.

A Rex covered in feathers doesn't suddenly become a cuddly herbivore, you know? Like, it's still a creature that absolutely has no modern equivalent, in ANY way

There's something terrifying, in its own way, about "friendlier" looking creatures that would just as soon tear you apart.

jstripes

Banned
A Rex covered in feathers doesn't suddenly become a cuddly herbivore, you know? Like, it's still a creature that absolutely has no modern equivalent, in ANY way

There's something terrifying, in its own way, about "friendlier" looking creatures that would just as soon tear you apart.

kINeaVz.png

Now before you get into a PopSci huff about how "IN MY DAY DINOSAURS DIDN'T HAVE FEATHER BAHUMBUG", this is specifically a sample of a dinosaur of the avialae, a clade of flying dinosaurs. But still, yes, your childhood is still dead. ;)

Wait, flying dinosaurs? I didn't even know these existed!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not a dinosaur, just a close relative like crocodiles.

Its a big flying scaley beast from prehistoric times so close enough. A lot of "dinosaurs" aren't technically dinosaurs but all things considered what the word means in this day and age they're dinosaurs.

Toxi

Banned
Its a big flying scaley beast from prehistoric times so close enough. A lot of "dinosaurs" aren't technically dinosaurs but all things considered what the word means in this day and age they're dinosaurs.
Dinosaur refers to a specific clade of animals. Pterosaurs not included.

Pterosaurs were more fuzzy than scaley, though some certainly were big.

witton-pterosaurs-large.jpg

That Tyrannosaurus reconstruction is joking. It almost certainly had feathers, but not nearly that thick of a layer, considering the warm climate of late Cretaceous North America.

Also, a large part of the wonder of non-avian dinosaurs is that they were real animals. They were not monsters or demons, they were beautiful diverse creatures that really existed and fed and slept and bred and sickened and grew old and died. Seeing a Tyrannosaurus as just a scary set of jaws is like seeing a lion as just a scary set of jaws; it's missing all the wonderful stuff beyond that.

The danger and scare factor is what gets people excited not the study of their actual lives. People want to see lions jumping on the back of a zebra and ripping it up, not seeing them lay around all day napping. The prime shark week shows are sharks tearing shit up attacking, not migrating patterns and sleeping while moving. Crocodiles? It's all about them destroying wildebeest.

Im talking about the general public and not enthusiasts. The people making the Jurrassic Park movies know this which is why giant naked lizards are here to stay.

That Tyrannosaurus reconstruction is joking. It almost certainly had feathers, but not nearly that thick of a layer, considering the warm climate of late Cretaceous North America.

Also, a large part of the wonder of non-avian dinosaurs is that they were real animals. They were not monsters or demons, they were beautiful diverse creatures that really existed and fed and slept and bred and sickened and grew old and died. Seeing a Tyrannosaurus as just a scary set of jaws is like seeing a lion as just a scary set of jaws; it's missing all the wonderful stuff beyond that.

My man. Beautifully put.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can't wait for Jurassic Park: Revisited.

"Cheep cheep CHEEEP!"

They keep the T Rex inside a giant mock up of a parakeet cage people keep in their houses and its got a giant water bottle hanging from the side and a big foodbowl full of what looks like "bird seed' but it turns out its hamsters.

No lol. "Dinosaur" is a specific classification. You can't just use it as a broader classification just because some people don't have a complete grasp on what species are in it. Especially when you're trying to give a specific example.

It's no different than calling a whale a "fish" or gorillas "monkeys" just because "Whatever. Close enough. That's what most people think of them as."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom