• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Necromunda: Hired Gun - Gameplay Overview Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Necromunda: Hired Gun takes you on a deep dive in new Gameplay Overview Trailer

Necromunda: Hired Gun, the fast-paced FPS by the small, passionate team at Streum On Studio, hits PC and consoles on June 1st. Welcome to the gritty, violent hive city of Necromunda, a place where anything goes - for the right price. As a bounty hunter in this utopia of violence, get ready to use the many tools in your deadly arsenal to see through each contract. Watch today’s new Gameplay Overview Trailer for a deep dive into Hired Gun’s various zones, weapons and perks, cyber-augmented Mastiff included!

Pick your contracts, hunt your targets, reap the rewards

Introduce yourself at Martyr’s End, the hub of all the action, contracts, and factions in your little corner of Necromunda. Select your contract, prepare your loadout and track down your target across one of the several dark and twisted areas of the Hive. Nothing comes easy in Hired Gun, fighting and even trailing targets will put the best bounty hunters to the test. Use your grappling hook and wall running abilities to close in on your prey across rotting agri-farms, industrious chemlabs and ancient strongholds. Then, assisted by your loyal Mastiff, unleash a ballet of destruction to complete your contract in style before returning to Martyr’s End for a celebratory drink and a round of upgrading your weapons and armor.

Upgrade and augment your arsenal to take on the Hive’s toughest contracts

From a signature power knife to rocket launchers and graviton gun, everything can be useful to make a living within the ever-growing conflict between factions in the Hive. After each action-intensive mission, take the time to exchange loot and rewards for cyber-augments to yourself, your arsenal and your dog. Grow in power and soon enough, become your target’s unstoppable worst nightmare.

The indie fast-paced FPS arrives June 1st, 2021 on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. Pre-order Necromunda: Hired Gun now and get the Hunter’s Bounty Pack to bring the Underhive to hell in style with a unique knife, stub cannon, and outfit skin, as well as a new look for your mastiff’s toy. Physical copies for consoles will release June 30th.

Kadve

I'm still trying to figure out what you do in this game though. You're bounty hunter sure, but why should i care? It feels like there is no story in the game whatsoever from these trailers.

Guilty_AI

1fc.png

Guilty_AI

I'm still trying to figure out what you do in this game though. You're bounty hunter sure, but why should i care? It feels like there is no story in the game whatsoever from these trailers.
Its not like every game needs to be story driven though.

Kadve

Its not like every game needs to be story driven though.
Yea but what is the goal of the game? You collect bounties and then what? I can understand if it was multiplayer focused ala something like sea of thieves but it sounds like its just you playing.

Guilty_AI

Yea but what is the goal of the game? You collect bounties and then what? I can understand if it was multiplayer focused ala something like sea of thieves but it sounds like its just you playing.
Well:

LLRLwB9.png

So, finish the main campaign and fully upgrade your character i assume?

Last edited:

Barakov

So you're a bounty hunter instead of a Emperor-sniffing space marine, you have a cyber murder dog, all the guns, wallrunning and a bunch of things to shoot?

I'm in.

Upgrade your dog? I'm in.

Jokes aside it looks really well made and appears to handle like a cross between DOOM and Titanfall. I'll perhaps give it a run based on how the shooting feels. I just hope it's lite-RPG and not full of menus and loot collects, which tends to turn me off if it's heavy RPG.

Denton

Has anyone played this? It is in the Humble Choice.

I tried it and it looks great...but I have an issue with it - its default FoV (field of view) is too high (yes, you read that right, usually if there is a problem with it in games, it's that it is too low, but not here).

The default value is lowest it can be set to, and when I tried to lower it via ini file, game just ignores it.

Any ideas?

And also, any impressions, did anyone play it?

I would also like to boost Denton Denton 's question. I've got a wild hair up my ass for a 40k shooter waiting for Darktide, and want to know if they fixed the launch issues with this game.

Is it worth the $40, or should I wait for a sale?

winjer

Gold Member
I started playing it yesterday, and only have 2.5 hours of play. But here is my experience on PC.
One thing is very clear, this is an indie game, with an indie budget. If someone expects a AAA experience with super detailed cuteness, animations, writing and story, you will be disappointed.

Combat is fun and intense. But level design could be better.
Graphics are good, there have been a few moments were I stopped to jut appreciate the scale of these industrial levels. And it seems they put a lot of attention to detail, regarding fidelity to the 40K aesthetic.
But NPC models are a bit weak, especially because of lackluster animations.
Had a bit of stutter here and there, but nothing constant. I'm using DX12.
Performance is decent, and it improves with DLSS. I had no crashes.
I had one bug, that forced me to restart a checkpoint. Asides from that, nothing special.
Story is a bit of a mess. Probably because I know almost nothing of the 40K universe.
So when NPCs start spouting weird names and concepts, it becomes a muddle.
Voice acting is terrible. Almost so bad, it's good for a laugh.

I can't say it's worth 40$. But if you are getting it on the Humble bundle it's probably worth it. Mostly because it comes with many other games bundled with it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I started playing it yesterday, and only have 2.5 hours of play. But here is my experience on PC.
One thing is very clear, this is an indie game, with an indie budget. If someone expects a AAA experience with super detailed cuteness, animations, writing and story, you will be disappointed.

Graphics are good, there have been a few moments were I stopped to jut appreciate the scale of these industrial levels. And it seems they put a lot of attention to detail, regarding fidelity to the 40K aesthetic.
I had one bug, that forced me to restart a checkpoint. Asides from that, nothing special.
Story is a bit of a mess. Probably because I know almost nothing of the 40K universe.

I can't say it's worth 40$. But if you are getting it on the Humble bundle it's probably worth it. Mostly because it comes with many other games bundled with it.

What humble bundle? I only see two. One incredibly shitty Pride month one and a lego game one.

Duchess

I played it a little while ago. Got about two hours in and that was enough for me. Thought it was pretty shite, if I'm honestly.

The main issue for me was that the AI behaves like Quake bots from the late 90s - they run around like their arses are on fire, shooting their weapons constantly, even when losing line of sight to their target.

FrozenFlame

Do you get to permanently keep these games?
Yeap.

Anyway, for me it's being quite the mediocre experience. I didn't understood the complains from the recent reviews on Steam but I've tried doing some side missions and it's really punishing, dunno if I have to purchase better weapons (enemies are bullet sponge and hit hard). I'll go back to the main missions until I get tired of it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeap.

Anyway, for me it's being quite the mediocre experience. I didn't understood the complains from the recent reviews on Steam but I've tried doing some side missions and it's really punishing, dunno if I have to purchase better weapons (enemies are bullet sponge and hit hard). I'll go back to the main missions until I get tired of it.

Thanks! I love Warhammer and even have fun with the worst games in the franchise. The previous games from this particular developer are SUPER jank, but you can feel thep assion they had.

Reactions: Isa

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I hated the movement in the game. Felt weird to me. Yeah JANK is what would I use to describe it actually.

Reactions: Isa

Braag

I have around 5 hours on the game and agree with most of these points.
It's a fast paced doom like shooter with gory finishers and all but it's a janky version of Doom 2016 or Eternal.
Shadow Warrior 3 has a similar combat but is a lot more polished and smoother than Necromunda. But what makes Necromunda fun is the setting and the Warhammer 40k weapons.

Denton

30$ would have been the perfect price point.
I mean I bought it few days ago for 8 bucks and got bunch of other games with it.

Anyway, no ideas about the FOV?

I suspect some of the "movement jankiness" that people report comes from the high FOV. It is really unusual compared to other games and doesn't feel great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom