• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a monitor for my console gaming

Hey guys/gals, what the title says, basically, I need a monitor for my console gaming (series X), thing is, I don't know where to start...looking at the prices, a 4K one that also features HDMI 2.1 for that sweet 120Hz gaming costs the same - if not more than a normal 4K Tv ffs.
I don't want to break the bank, if I'm to spend 800-1000+€ for a monitor I might as well go for a 4K tv, thing is, I don't know how many inches to go for (60cm desk) and whether is 4K is overkill - is 1440p good enough for that viewing distance ? Does the XSX support that resolution ? Does it support 1440p at 120Hz ? What about HDR ? I'm completely lost here lads, care to lend a hand ?
My budget is +/- 400 eurotrons, what are my choices ?

Thanks in advance, cheers

Shtef

Xbox supports 1440p but it will not have hdr, that is reserved only for 4k resolution.
Monitor you are looking with all this fearures is very expensive (you could buy tv for that price).
For 400 euros you will not find monitor will all that.
Maybe look for 42" oled? But that is around 1000 euros or more.

42" C2 OLED. it's got everything you need: 4K, 120Hz, VRR, HDR.

you could probably find a good deal on it right now with all this black friday shite and this would be the best time to buy because it won't get any cheaper between now and the C3 models in a few months.

if that's out your budget then i suppose you could go with a 1440p 144hz monitor. the HDR will be shit or non existent. 4k is a waste unless you have a 28, 32, 40, 42" display. a 27" 1440p monitor will be perfect. if you do get a monitor just make sure it has VRR (likely it will if it's 144hz) and just know that the speakers on monitors are usually trash.

i have a 27" 1440p 144hz VRR (gsync) monitor that i use on PC. works perfectly fine for me but the speakers suck. i use speakers plugged into my PC though so it's not a problem. if i'm playing my switch or ps4 on the monitor then i need to use the speakers built in and they aren't great. i was thinking of buying a series x to use with this monitor but the thought of using these speakers is putting me off. whenever i get a console i'll be hooking it up to my CX OLED unless i decide to replace my PC Monitor with a 42" OLED but 42" on my desk is really big. i had a 32" monitor and that was huge.

Last edited:
What's the use case for a PC monitor on a low end games console exactly?

Would you not just be better off getting a bog standard TV with modern features on the cheap?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah 4k 120hz monitors are inflated price wise. I went with a Series S/ex2510 for the that reason (y)

Banjo64

cumsessed
What's the use case for a PC monitor on a low end games console exactly?

Would you not just be better off getting a bog standard TV with modern features on the cheap?
As stated; no VRR, no 120hz, monitor IPS panels are better than shitty TV VA panels. Also for me I needed a small 25 inch display for a small desk whilst most cheapo TVs start in the 32 inch range. Lower input latency, less power consumption, tilt/swivel rather than fixed base - the benefits of a monitor are numerous.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As stated; no VRR, no 120hz, monitor IPS panels are better than shitty TV VA panels. Also for me I needed a small 25 inch display for a small desk whilst most cheapo TVs start in the 32 inch range. Lower input latency, less power consumption, tilt/swivel rather than fixed base - the benefits of a monitor are numerous.

Freesync via monitors does work on the Series consoles and some brands even support the PS5. It's a win there too.

edit: I might have misread what you meant.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have dual LG 27GP950 on my desk and I really enjoy them for console gaming even if they are edge lit IPS panels

They can get decently bright which is what I need for this desk plus it is quite fast

The HDR is not great but I also do not have to worry about burn in

hinch7

42" C2 OLED. it's got everything you need: 4K, 120Hz, VRR, HDR.

you could probably find a good deal on it right now with all this black friday shite and this would be the best time to buy because it won't get any cheaper between now and the C3 models in a few months.

if that's out your budget then i suppose you could go with a 1440p 144hz monitor. the HDR will be shit or non existent. 4k is a waste unless you have a 28, 32, 40, 42" display. a 27" 1440p monitor will be perfect. if you do get a monitor just make sure it has VRR (likely it will if it's 144hz) and just know that the speakers on monitors are usually trash.

i have a 27" 1440p 144hz VRR (gsync) monitor that i use on PC. works perfectly fine for me but the speakers suck. i use speakers plugged into my PC though so it's not a problem. if i'm playing my switch or ps4 on the monitor then i need to use the speakers built in and they aren't great. i was thinking of buying a series x to use with this monitor but the thought of using these speakers is putting me off. whenever i get a console i'll be hooking it up to my CX OLED unless i decide to replace my PC Monitor with a 42" OLED but 42" on my desk is really big. i had a 32" monitor and that was huge.
Yeah C2 is the way to go if you can handle the size (no pun intended) and have the desk space. Usually on offer too

If thats too large then there are other really good 4K monitors out there for under 1K.

Just look to get a 4K monitor with HDMI 2.1 and you should be golden for consoles. I don't think you can get a proper HDR monitor at $400 Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa . Most 144hz+ 4K monitors are around the $500 mark and use IPS panels. The Gigabyte M32U is good at $520 but HDR is going to be bad. The Samsung Neo G7 is great if you want proper HDR at 32" @$800 - Out of stock though at Newegg and outside OP's budget.

Last edited:
Ok guys, here's the whole deal :
i would have gone for a 4K TV but...we already have one in the household*, the reason i'm searching for a monitor is because i need something small-ish (inches-wise) to fit on my desk in my studio.
Now, up until 1 year ago i did my gaming on my trusted 46-inch Panny plasma but after relocating to a different country i had to let her go, thing is, after all these years i still haven't experienced higher than 1080p resolutions, HDR and all the cool things that the new consoles are capable of, i want to see what the fuss is all about.

There was a Xiaomi 32 inch monitor on sale the other day but...it was ultra-wide so that was a no-go for console(s) since you either have to strech the whole screen, or, live with black bars if you want to display at a 16:9 resolution /aspect ratio and besides that, there was no HDMI 2.1 etc.

Unfortunately, the prices for that kind of monitor (4K/HDMI 2.1, high nits for a good HDR effect etc) are very high, like some of you mentioned , i could always go for an LG C2 or whatever but i just don't have that kind of money to burn right now - and Black Friday over here in Pizza & mozzarella land are a joke (even on Amazon) so that's out of the picture, again, i'm looking to spend about 400 euros max so i guess my only real choice is to go for a 27 inch 1440p one with shitty peak brightness , correct ?
Right now, i have my XSX connected to a 10-year old LG 22 inch monitor and...i just really need something bigger gents.
Shall i just forget all the technical mumbo jumbo and just go for something bigger (32inches) ? After all, size does matter in the end (that's what she said).
Also : curved or not ?

Thanks

* The 4K TV sits in my living room obviously and it's being used for "general purposes®" aka, so that my girlfriend can keep watching her shows

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Ok guys, here's the whole deal :
i would have gone for a 4K TV but...we already have one in the household*, the reason i'm searching for a monitor is because i need something small-ish (inches-wise) to fit on my desk in my studio.
Now, up until 1 year ago i did my gaming on my trusted 46-inch Panny plasma but after relocating to a different country i had to let her go, thing is, after all these years i still haven't experienced higher than 1080p resolutions, HDR and all the cool things that the new consoles are capable of, i want to see what the fuss is all about.

There was a Xiaomi 32 inch monitor on sale the other day but...it was ultra-wide so that was a no-go for console(s) since you either have to strech the whole screen, or, live with black bars if you want to display at a 16:9 resolution /aspect ratio and besides that, there was no HDMI 2.1 etc.

Unfortunately, the prices for that kind of monitor (4K/HDMI 2.1, high nits for a good HDR effect etc) are very high, like some of you mentioned , i could always go for an LG C2 or whatever but i just don't have that kind of money to burn right now - and Black Friday over here in Pizza & mozzarella land are a joke (even on Amazon) so that's out of the picture, again, i'm looking to spend about 400 euros max so i guess my only real choice is to go for a 27 inch 1440p one with shitty peak brightness , correct ?
Right now, i have my XSX connected to a 10-year old LG 22 inch monitor and...i just really need something bigger gents.
Shall i just forget all the technical mumbo jumbo and just go for something bigger (32inches) ? After all, size does matter in the end (that's what she said).
Also : curved or not ?

Thanks

* The 4K TV sits in my living room obviously and it's being used for "general purposes®" aka, so that my girlfriend can keep watching quality shows like big brother, The voice etc etc.

Thanks man but over here the price varies from 700+ € - 900+€, if i was in the US of A i would have bought it in a heartbeat ;)

New monitors announced:

LG OLED 27" 1440p HDR VRR HDMI 2.1
Asus MiniLed 32" 4K HDR VRR HDMI 2.1

So more stuff should happen in 2023 in the monitor gaming space. I've been eye balling C2 42" OLED but I was worried it would be too big for my desk for my PS5.

Now that PS5 has 1440p VRR support in BETA software I will wait a bit and see what happens. It's nice to see a change from LED/IPS screens in monitor gaming space.

What do you think guys?

Haven't seen any pricing besides that LG 27" OLED monitor and at least it's in the same price range as C2- maybe priced a bit lower.

Dunno about Asus MiniLed - if it will be more expensive it will be out from my list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom