• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Unbound | Review Thread

Markio128

70 GBP is ooooooooooooooof considering you can get it for 38 GBP on PC.

I don't know about PS5 but on PC if you subscribe to EA Play for 4 EUR you get 10 hours trail. That's how I'm playing
Exactly - I really only buy 1 full price game every couple of months, if that. The games that don’t quite hit the full price quality mark, I’ll get in a sale a few months later, a bit like the recent Midnight Suns and Callisto Protocol. I’m just not sure where NFSU sits at the moment. Usually anything 85%+ on MC is a safe day 1 buy for me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Exactly - I really only buy 1 full price game every couple of months, if that. The games that don’t quite hit the full price quality mark, I’ll get in a sale a few months later, a bit like the recent Midnight Suns and Callisto Protocol. I’m just not sure where NFSU sits at the moment. Usually anything 85%+ on MC is a safe day 1 buy for me.

As far as racing games go (and if you're willing to ignore all the cringe), this one is easily worth it.

This should also work on PS5, just try it out for 10 hours and see for yourself:

baphomet

Cool to see Brain Dead in the game. They've got some nice clothes and home stuff.

It's funny that they're obviously trying to get "cool" clothing in here and decided to go with Balmain. It's like their designers googled streetwear and didn't realize they were looking at pictures from 2016.

H . R . 2

When I started with NFS, I also wasn’t old enough to drive a car, which was a big part of why the game was attractive for me.

But maybe, they should split the NFS franchise again (like they did with NFS Shift back then). One for the TikToks and one for the people who loved the first games. Release them alternating like Forza Motorsport and Horizon do.
So you don’t disappoint anyone and have a more interesting racing game landscape.

What I would be interested in … is the way, Unbound presents itself, really the way, younger people want a racing game or is it more like “EA thinks this is how young people are”?
I wasn't talking about us the players, but the characters in the game. THEY are barely old enough to drive a car.
Yes, back then we were teenagers who weren't exactly racers either too
but we played a game with a story about 'ADULT' professional street racers
and it would , for some, be something to aspire to and for most, something authentic about driving they could enjoy .
nowadays though, you get a game full of braindead characters with only a youthful appearance who say cheesy dialogues
and that is supposed to appeal to the younger crowd? acting like the rich brats and gangsters they see on social media?

what I am 'driving' at is that I am certain teenagers would enjoy a mature story as much as we grandpas do. if not more.
but Fortnite and games like the recent NFSs are imitating kids in the hope of more profitability, rather than sticking to what made them special in the first place

P.S I am aware I sound like a senior citizen in my 30s

Last edited:
Fi-tD9NXkAE4J6X

Fi_8vfcXgAEDkKu

Fi_8vfdXEAkV3Zg
So... Need for Speed 2015?

Fbh

Can we just get an NFS in similar fashion to 3 or High Stakes? Open world sucks and so does their music! Get ROM Di Prisco back!

I want a high budget arcade racer which:
- Isn't open world and has cool tracks all over the world
- Has no "story" and constant "hello fellow kids" type dialog all the time.

Last NFS I liked was Hot Pursuit 2010 because of that. It doesn't take you all over the world but at least it's not open world and there's no story.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Last NFS I liked was Hot Pursuit 2010 because of that. It doesn't take you all over the world but at least it's not open world and there's no story.
Last one I liked was Hot Pursuit 2 in 2003. 2010 was alright but too much like burnout.

Reactions: Fbh

drotahorror

Can we just get an NFS in similar fashion to 3 or High Stakes? Open world sucks and so does their music! Get ROM Di Prisco back!

We got The Run and it did awful even though it was honestly pretty good and the closest we had to a traditional NFS since Hot Pursuit 2 (ps2 era obviously).

HP 2010 was open world imo. The whole world is connected and you can free roam it. If you want something that is very similar check out Rivals. Open world but condensed with long roads (like HP 2010), and has car abilities too (EMP, shockwave, Turbo, spike strips, etc).

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Was Need for Speed Hot Pursuit the odd one out of the series? It's a brilliant game but the few other entries I've played are all open world, hip-hop and story-line driven kinds of shite a world apart from HP.

RaZoR No1

Definitely best NFS since Ghost games started developing NFS games.
I know they dont exist anymore and the game was "developed" by Criterion Games, but you can still feel the ghost of Ghost Studio

The vibe, music, setting and the "cartoon effects" etc. are all personal choice, but they definitely improved the game.
It is like NFS Heat 2.0, improved where it matters. Physics are better, graphics are awesome (standing shoots are not often that "realistic" like on FH5, but the whole picture looks awesome, espacially driving nights)
The cops can be a pain in the ass, but if you know how to handle them, everything will be easier.
The story mode at least allows you to play on your own pace.
You don’t have to do all the races, just have enough for the qualifiers.

It was the best idea to skip last gen completely. The game really shine at night racing through the city in S class or higher. (playing on XSX)
Physics are not random like in the past and Grip racing makes sense and is viable again.

Again, if you liked/loved the direction NFS Heat went, you will love Unbound.

sendit

70 GBP is ooooooooooooooof considering you can get it for 38 GBP on PC.

I don't know about PS5 but on PC if you subscribe to EA Play for 4 EUR you get 10 hours trail. That's how I'm playing
If you’re on the PC and subscribe to EA Play Pro (99 USD a year) you get access to new game releases and everything else EA Play offers.

Last edited:

sendit

I take it you haven't? 2015 is still better looking than the two games that followed it. Tell me again how Unbound is a massive leap from this:

It's not, barely if any graphical upgrades at all. Playing Unbound on Ultra. The biggest difference between the two graphically is the ability to race in the day time.

It's weird that DF is hyping this game up as a graphical showcase.

Last edited:

JayK47

Is anybody playing and enjoying this? I plan to grab it once it has been out for a little while and is on sale. Steam reviews are doing fairly well.

Is anybody playing and enjoying this? I plan to grab it once it has been out for a little while and is on sale. Steam reviews are doing fairly well.
Yeah, really enjoying it, but ignoring the campaign as that’s where most of the garbage cringe stuff rears its head. Grinding the online mode and it plays fantastically. Hope they continue to build it out.

Orta

Banned
EA's Need for Speed Unbound has managed to chart an underwhelming 17th place in the multiformat charts - that's behind last year's Just Dance 2022 and the Lego Harry Potter Collection. UK sales data reveals the game's physical sales were down 64 percent on the series' previous entry, 2019's Need for Speed: Heat.

Bro, NOOOOOO! That's like, woah, wtf bro!!! All those haters, Yo!!!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
EA's Need for Speed Unbound has managed to chart an underwhelming 17th place in the multiformat charts - that's behind last year's Just Dance 2022 and the Lego Harry Potter Collection. UK sales data reveals the game's physical sales were down 64 percent on the series' previous entry, 2019's Need for Speed: Heat.

Good news. It will get discounted before my 10 hours trail runs out. 🫣

Rayderism

I can deal with the cringy cartoon-people cutscenes, but that horrible so-called music.......I can only assume that hip hop music is cheaper to license than normal music.

I figure many people are just getting sick of NFS in general as they stick to the stale open world crap and ghetto themes that only appeal to a small percentage of people. And the sales are reflecting that.

I've only played a few hours so far, but I really don't appreciate the gametime padding of making you drive to the race locations. Just let me fast travel there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
HP2010 was the perfect NFS game. We just need more like that. Of course at this point it is a pretty old game.

Umbasaborne

Banned

To be fair, they announced it with barely any fan fair like 6 weeks ago and were skittish to show off gameplay. Feels like the game barely had a marketing budget so idk what they expected

Markio128

I can deal with the cringy cartoon-people cutscenes, but that horrible so-called music.......I can only assume that hip hop music is cheaper to license than normal music.

I figure many people are just getting sick of NFS in general as they stick to the stale open world crap and ghetto themes that only appeal to a small percentage of people. And the sales are reflecting that.

I've only played a few hours so far, but I really don't appreciate the gametime padding of making you drive to the race locations. Just let me fast travel there.
There is a fast travel function - I think you press square on PS5 from the map/garage?

Roxkis_ii

I'm grabbing this game this weekend! I've been waiting on an arcade racer that uses duelsence features.

Also, people listen to the music in nfs games?
First thing I do is mute the music lol.
I do like ASOP Rocky, so I may give the soundtrack a few races before muting it lol.

R6Rider

Gold Member
To be fair, they announced it with barely any fan fair like 6 weeks ago and were skittish to show off gameplay. Feels like the game barely had a marketing budget so idk what they expected
Yeah the marketing around this game was fucking weird. Still is really. I haven't seen a single ad for it anywhere online.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah the marketing around this game was fucking weird. Still is really. I haven't seen a single ad for it anywhere online.
Which is strange because this is the best need for speed in years. Hopefully the positive critical reception gets them to start really marketing it. Its a great game that definitely deserves better than ea is giving it. Reminds me of titanfall 2 in that sense

Top Bottom