• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Unbound | Review Thread

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
hs5cFY3.jpg
Hoooly shit, is that really in there? Thats me never buying a copy if it is

Disgusting :messenger_tears_of_joy:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game is around 80 on MC which I believe is better than most NFS games going back the 360 era. Looks like this new style of racing graphics is a good change.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Its not real life, its a video game. Yall taking stuff way too serious. That character is clearly meant to say ridiculous stuff on purpose.
I get that but it's grating, dumbed down and boderline infantile in a way. If it was a one off it would be easier to see it for what it was but this shite seems to be in most medium today

Theres only so much one can stomach without reaching for the sick bag.

IDK why but I've always, and I mean always, liked these Need for Speed/Street style games. I've been looking for something like it for a little bit. I gave Horizon a shot, but it just didn't click for me... but this does. Is it campy, yes. Is it corny, yes... but so are Fast & the Furious movies and ppl love those LOL Currently enjoying the game. It looks good and plays well.

JayK47

Haha. Nice. That price is more reasonable. Definitely not worth $70. And $70 doesn't even get you all content. Palace Edition?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well at least this means it'll come to EA Play / Game Pass rather quick.

That's nice.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

EA will wait a little bit for the sales wave to end and completely drop off and then it will be included in EA Play. I give it 5-6 months max. In less then a year from now it will most likely be on Gamepass and/or Plus.

Last edited:

stn

I bought it. I'm expecting the story and dialogue to be typical garbage but I don't mind because I skip all of that shit anyway. "Yo bro" dialogue is just stupid, lolz. Still, its to be expected.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I honestly think the cartoony effects and characters probably put people off.
They're doing sooo much right but missing the mark every time.
Nobody cares about avatars in theses games
Stop including them
If ya gonna do a story do through first person prospective.
Street racing is a social event
And sorry woke muthafuckers girls come dressed to impress and that the biggest stand out at those events illegal or not.
And if you can't include flag girls then you have no right making a street racing game full stop.
Music needs to be a mix-up of rock and hip-hop.
Seriously just play the early 2000's NFS & watch the original 3 Fast & Furious and copy it.
And don't adjust it for modern audiences because there is no such audience.

TrebleShot

Porsche unleashed is infinitely better than bloomin pro street!

also the best review is out

Haha love this guy so funny and dry. Been watching for a while.

Absolutely cracking up at the song.

Of course he’s spot on , don’t think I can continue playing it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Umbasaborne

Banned
I take back everything positive i said about this game. The driving is great, the races are challenging but fair. What is not fair are the cops. Im at heat level 5 and it is literally impossible for me to do a race or go back to the garage. The second i move i have like 18 helicopters on me. I turned the difficulty down to easy to at least try and get back to the garage but nope, got busted, lost 30k. I deleted this piece of shit from my xbox. Its amazing how badly they knee capped their own games with the story and overbearing police. Im okay with challenging cop chases, but it shouldnt make it LITERALLY impossible for me to progress the game.

EDMIX

Bomba ?

Already dropped to $44.99 just days after release.

FjVixHCUAAAdatP

EA, Ubisoft etc generally have theses types of sales, price drops etc after release.

We've seen games that broke records drop in price, we've seen games that didn't drop in price.

So.....unless they are literally coming out and saying this is based on some "bomba" it sounds pretty normal on how they do games after release during fall.

Folks said the same thing about Watchdogs 3 going on sale, yet literally disregarding AC Valhalla went on sale too..its now the best selling AC title in history and the second most profitable Ubisoft title in history....as in the majority of some publishers games go on sale during the fall, unless they are putting out some statement regarding low sales on why its discounted, its merely you assuming or forcing a narrative when if you look closely, that is how this publisher has generally released AAA games.

Red Dead Redemption 2 literally went on sales within weeks of its release.

So I don't really care for this whole spicy hot take of trying to force an narrative and this would be much more of a interesting take if they've never done this before or something.

So yea, if you wait a few weeks, many...many publishers discount, have sales on titles regardless of how they did.

You going to tell me RDR2 bombed? AC Valhalla? Persona 5 on Switch? I mean....its not a good metric the last NFS also went on sale shortly after release...like you know, must EA games, Ubisoft, Sony, Sega etc. That isn't some practice only exclusive to a game failing and folks need to stop trying to force that narrative based on a sale...

I take back everything positive i said about this game. The driving is great, the races are challenging but fair. What is not fair are the cops. Im at heat level 5 and it is literally impossible for me to do a race or go back to the garage. The second i move i have like 18 helicopters on me. I turned the difficulty down to easy to at least try and get back to the garage but nope, got busted, lost 30k. I deleted this piece of shit from my xbox. Its amazing how badly they knee capped their own games with the story and overbearing police. Im okay with challenging cop chases, but it shouldnt make it LITERALLY impossible for me to progress the game.

This is how I deal with cops in this game:

First, you need the accessory device that makes cops take 2x as long to spot you. 2nd, until you get that device bank early before you get high heat. You may need to do some planning because it costs 32k.

If you are caught in a high heat chase, there are several places the cops cant get you: meet up tunnel in the gravel pit/quarry, elevated train tracks and a parking lot near the 1st meetup spot. Even if you do get to one of these places, a lot of time at level 5 heat there are so many cops around that will spot you really quickly, which is why you need the accessory.

You can lose helicopters by turning off your engine

You can take out a cop most of the time by ramming them before they see you.

Finally, I use the accessory that refills your health 3x for obvious reasons.

RaZoR No1

The game is easier than you think
Never mess with lower class cars with high heat cops except you know how to handle them.
You cannot outdrive them in lower class as soon you reach heat 3.
The helicopter can not see you (if not in an active pursuit), if you turn off your engine ( hold B or O to turn off the car)
Some tricks to avoid or loose the cops:
Drive into water, you wont loose any health but they are wrecked,
use the dam tunnel, they get wrecked if they are too high on the wall.
The SWAT cars are weak againt sudden turns / handbrake manouvers.
In the city jump onto the rails and just wait there, if a cop follow you up, jump down and repeat.
Just wait until the pursuit is over.

Auxilary Item help handling the cops too.
Impact reduce and Repair Kit were my standard setup.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just refunded this fucking piece of fucking shit.

Never seen so many glitches this game going ham legit.

Me paying full price for this shit whahah

Game didnt even fucking launch normally had to edit .exe. To play a 73 euro day 1 release 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Thief1987

Smells like a success
Matt Webster, VP and GM of Criterion, has left the studio. Webster has been with Criterion for over 23 years, and has been working for EA since 1990. He was part of the initial team responsible for the first FIFA game.

Also departing is executive producer Pete Lake, who first joined Criterion back in 1996 as an artist. He leaves alongside senior technical director Andrei Shires, a 16-year Criterion veteran. Head of studio development Alan McDairmant is also moving on after 17 years with EA, while Steve Uphill, head of content, leaves following his latest 10-year stint with the developer. All five have left to "explore new opportunities outside of EA", and comes after the release of Need for Speed Unbound.

NinjaBoiX

The music is pretty awful, but it’s a fun racer! Shame the drifting model isn’t great; the handling feels just fine, great even, but why does the drifting feel like you’ve dropped an anchor in the tarmac?

I’ll play it properly when it hits EA Play in 6 months time.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Can we just get an NFS in similar fashion to 3 or High Stakes? Open world sucks and so does their music! Get ROM Di Prisco back!
Hot Pursuit 2010/Remastered is probably the closest we have to a more modern NFS game like that. This is also why it's my favorite NFS game of the last 20+ years. I really miss racing games with an atmosphere and style of those early NFS games...

Banned
I actually started playing it properly (only looked into it briefly when the gamepass trial first dropped)

and damn, I really love it so far.
the driving model is kinda weird, super arcady and you have to get used to the drifting (which is adjustable a bit) and how to use your nitro properly, but after a while it really clicks and feels nice.

I love how the game is structured. I really like the risk/reward aspects of betting, staying out for as long as possible to gain more money for the big qualifier match at the end of the week, and starting really expensive races and winning big.

after playing mostly the Forza Horizon games for so long it's such a breath of fresh air to actually have a proper campaign where you have to manage your money, strategically upgrade your car and work towards getting better cars.

the dialog is pretty bad, it always has been tho in NfS games, so I don't get bothered by that... although the german dub is horrendous and there's no in-game option to change the language -_-

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
I actually started playing it properly (only looked into it briefly when the gamepass trial first dropped)

and damn, I really love it so far.
the driving model is kinda weird, super arcady and you have to get used to the drifting (which is adjustable a bit) and how to use your nitro properly, but after a while it really clicks and feels nice.

I love how the game is structured. I really like the risk/reward aspects of betting, staying out for as long as possible to gain more money for the big qualifier match at the end of the week, and starting really expensive races and winning big.

after playing mostly the Forza Horizon games for so long it's such a breath of fresh air to actually have a proper campaign where you have to manage your money, strategically upgrade your car and work towards getting better cars.

the dialog is pretty bad, it always has been tho in NfS games, so I don't get bothered by that... although the german dub is horrendous and there's no in-game option to change the language -_-

You can chose in-game languages?

Orta

Banned
not sure if I understand what you mean to say here... but no, like I said there's no language selected in the game.
I would need to change my whole system to English which is a hassle

Sorry, I meant are there language options so cut scenes etc feature different languages, French, German and so on.

It would make the game more tolerable if I didn't have to listen to the cringy English acting!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sorry, I meant are there language options so cut scenes etc feature different languages, French, German and so on.

It would make the game more tolerable if I didn't have to listen to the cringy English acting!
Yeah, I would just make it Japanese language audio and turn off the subtitles, so I can spare myself from this pain 😄 Ignorance is bliss.

Banned

the german one is worse, believe me

Top Bottom