• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Unbound - The DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Criterion is BACK!

JackMcGunns

Or, for better context, imagine a 5ft 8in/173cm basketball player having comparable and often better dunk statistics than a 6ft 8in/207cm player over a considerable number of dunk contests, despite the 20% height differential in favor of the taller player, and in a competition where spectators often assume height is the major indicator for performance.

Just as the smaller player would have people praising them based on what they've been able to achieve with little, you could understand why PS5 players would celebrate the console's relative performance against "more powerful" Series X.

Unfortunately this analogy has nothing to do with this comparison... or reality for that matter since as of today, games on Series X are consistently starting to stand out ahead of PS5, showing a resolution advantage when all else equal, or a framerate advantage when going for an open framerate, give or take an exception here or there. This is despite the PS5 being the dominant and favored console by both consumers and developers, leading to it being the baseline console for developers.

Back to this comparison though, when you have a game that's doing more, yet still is able to hit 60fps almost all the time with only occasional drops that the developer chose as being good enough, especially since the same enthusiast who care about being on the top graphics also have the top displays with VRR making the few drops moot anyway. Series X is superior for anyone playing on HDMI 2.1 and VRR which basically should be everyone that's concerned with these minute differences to begin with.

80 MC score already with just 10 reviews has me concerned for this game, as more reviews come in. It looks good (most areas) and form this it seems to perform good, now will the best selling racing franchise be able to lock-in a quality score?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I feel like I see this on almost every single review I watch for xbox. Why aren't companies just decreasing the resolution a bit with games that have DRS (like this one)? I don't understand.

I'm guessing it's because the performance bottleneck isn't due to resolution but something else.

80 MC score already with just 10 reviews has me concerned for this game, as more reviews come in. It looks good (most areas) and form this it seems to perform good, now will the best selling racing franchise be able to lock-in a quality score?

Is this a joke?

//DEVIL//

I feel like I see this on almost every single review I watch for xbox. Why aren't companies just decreasing the resolution a bit with games that have DRS (like this one)? I don't understand.
I always ask myself the same thing. Like I think it's an MS requirement to push for 4k resolution so they brag about native 4k or / in the case of future Xbox consoles, these things iron themselves out by default since the series X plus or whatever would be called has more power ?

Because I do remember MS had the same strategy with the Xbox one with uncapped resolution and frames, and it turned out MS had an advantage of the series S/X ( some games performed better on PS4 pro than Xbox one X because of higher resolution on Xbox compared to the ps4 pro, but by later generations of hardware, the PS5 still play those games at lower resolution while Xbox got them locked 4k.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Blue Team:

rocky balboa win GIF by Rocky

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

80 is a respectable score, but yeah only 10 critics have reviewed it so far, that is the weirder thing.

Looks like most of the gaming press doesn't care about this game.

Opencritic has a better 82% with 13 critical reviews.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I always ask myself the same thing. Like I think it's an MS requirement to push for 4k resolution so they brag about native 4k or / in the case of future Xbox consoles, these things iron themselves out by default since the series X plus or whatever would be called has more power ?

Because I do remember MS had the same strategy with the Xbox one with uncapped resolution and frames, and it turned out MS had an advantage of the series S/X ( some games performed better on PS4 pro than Xbox one X because of higher resolution on Xbox compared to the ps4 pro, but by later generations of hardware, the PS5 still play those games at lower resolution while Xbox got them locked 4k.
t10JTWm.jpeg

80 is a respectable score, but yeah only 10 critics have reviewed it so far, that is the weirder thing.

Looks like most of the gaming press doesn't care about this game.

Opencritic has a better 82% with 13 critical reviews.

Either that or also likely, a delay in getting the reviews out.

Antwix

Yeah I do agree it might be somewhat of a brag. But seriously I don't understand when the game has DRS implemented. Like okay sure, make the top end of it 4k but why not drop the lower boundary a bit? If that was the case with future hardware revisions, the res would be at the upper bounds anyway. Who knows though. Just the way it is I guess.

Lysandros

Just as the smaller player would have people praising them based on what they've been able to achieve with little, you could understand why PS5 players would celebrate the console's relative performance against "more powerful" Series X.
See, while i understand to some degree, that's exactly the mindset that i am really frustrated by. This originates essentially from ignorance; lack of knowledge about respective architectures/specifications of the machines. It assumes that PS5 has "less", it is "lesser" to begin with and it's actually punching "above its weight" due platform preference, ease of development, etc etc. dismissing every hardware advantage that it has in the process beginning by its GPU. Even a fairly basic grasp/deep enough look into specifications should suffice to place these machines in equal footing overall and this is backed up by two years of real world data. But no, this is too painful of a fact to accept apparently, groundhog day continuing with each new release...

Last edited:

They spent a full year bragging about 12 TF RDNA 2 vs 9 TF RDNA 1.5

They don't want resolution parity with PS5 for sure....

But reality is PS5 is a more balanced console than Series X

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Another stupid Resolution bump, which will starve the bandwidth. Why is it still happening?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They spent a full year bragging about 12 TF RDNA 2 vs 9 TF RDNA 1.5

They don't want resolution parity with PS5 for sure....

But reality is PS5 is a more balanced console than Series X

a more balanced console would deliver 4k at 60 FPS and deliver what this gen was set out to do.

Neither console is balanced in reality. We also have to take a mean across multiple games to find balance.

Do every release from this year across multiple releases and developers and see where the balance lies. not just one game.

M1chl

I’m in no way technically minded, but maybe the PS5 just has a more flexible reconstruction technique. I only say this because it isn’t the first time this has been the case.
It's more of an issue, that basically the dev kit of Xbox is more powerful, thus if they run test, it appears that it can do more than retail console, this was a problem since X1X. Thus the higher resolution in retail.

Also as far as I know those games have same reconstruction, based on video alone, it's just about these test on dev kit. It's very patchable, but not many of those companies are sadly doing that. Because even if that sounds like a small number, it's a hundred thousands more pixels to render. Basically more than 12% of what is PS5 doing, which obviously don't have muscle to do so.

Markio128

It's more of an issue, that basically the dev kit of Xbox is more powerful, thus if they run test, it appears that it can do more than retail console, this was a problem since X1X. Thus the higher resolution in retail.

Also as far as I know those games have same reconstruction, based on video alone, it's just about these test on dev kit. It's very patchable, but not many of those companies are sadly doing that. Because even if that sounds like a small number, it's a hundred thousands more pixels to render. Basically more than 12% of what is PS5 doing, which obviously don't have muscle to do so.
I didn’t know that tbh. Maybe it’s on MS to provide updated dev kits that match the retail console.

M1chl

I didn’t know that tbh. Maybe it’s on MS to provide updated dev kits that match the retail console.
I worked on Kingdom Come: Deliverance, basically this what has been our experience there as well, but we caught it in QA. On those "stress test machines" which is just retail unit, without the ability to connect to public Xbox Live. I guess nobody cares about QA, after some master copy.

So for me it's pretty obvious which companies do their do-diligence right.

Markio128

I worked on Kingdom Come: Deliverance, basically this what has been our experience there as well, but we caught it in QA. On those "stress test machines" which is just retail unit, without the ability to connect to public Xbox Live. I guess nobody cares about QA, after some master copy.

So for me it's pretty obvious which companies do their do-diligence right.
Oh, cool - working on the game I mean. If it’s an known issue, you’d have thought that developers would have considered it by now.

Lysandros

I’m in no way technically minded, but maybe the PS5 just has a more flexible reconstruction technique. I only say this because it isn’t the first time this has been the case.
PS5 can 'in theory' have an advantage with these techniques, it has custom a ID buffer hardware just like the PS4 PRO (as confirmed by Guerilla), there is not an hardware equivalent in series consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom