• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

need help deciding what headset to get for xbox series x

• Thread starter Deleted member 801069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I've spent entirely too much debating this on my own so I thought I would make a thread

hoping for some feedback

I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

SteelSeries 9x

a9x_buyimg_01.png__1920x1080_q100_crop-fit_optimize_subsampling-2.png

my biggest concern here is that I've heard some report issues with the fact that it uses the integrated xbox wireless to connect to the console. apparently there are issues with the connection dropping?

Penrose X
PenroseX_ProductShots_Web_3Q_800x.jpg

cons here are no (unpaid) reviews and I read on reddit a day or so ago that people who preordered received an email stating that there will be some new delays. not sure what that's about, but I was hoping to get this around xbox series x release date. not really sure if that's possible anymore

HS75 XB
-base-hs75-xb-wireless-config-Gallery-HS75-XB-01.png_1200Wx1200H

reviews seem decent, and I like that it comes with Dolby Atmos, but it seems like the 7x has it beat when it comes to comfort? which leads me to...

SteelSeries 7x
a7x_buyimg_01.jpg__1850x800_q100_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.jpg

this is where I'm currently leaning. doesn't use xbox integrated wireless unlike the 9x so that issue is gone, but it also doesn't have bluetooth which is kind of a bummer

Bang & Olufsen

355e4b0ed8a86718cd2468096b9b9190.jpg

not really sure why we have zero information on this one given that the xbox series x/s is going to be released in like 2 weeks. they announced the xbox partnership back in June. I've tried looking for more info about this online with no success.

anyways, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Any way you can try em on?

I'd just get the one that is most comfy
idk, is this an option at places like Best Buy, etc.?

I would imagine if it ever was an option, it prob isn't anymore due to covid?

teezzy

Banned
@peso

When I managed a GameStop we had some on display that you could put on your head and try out. Not sure what other stores do

Maybe check out online reviews. Go for whichever one people praise for how comfortable it is. In my experience, that will outweigh every other feature as long as you're not buying a set with the world's crappiest speakers and mic.

Some of those ear cups can be so stiff that they feel like they were designed for Fred Flintstone. Also they can squeeze your head too hard, etc. Doesn't matter how impressive the pseudo7.1 surround is at that point, you won't like wearing it

Get something that feels like a pillow on your skull, especially if you plan on using it a lot

My take, at least.

Good luck! :cool:

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
@peso

When I managed a GameStop we had some on display that you could put on your head and try out. Not sure what other stores do

Maybe check out online reviews. Go for whichever one people praise for how comfortable it is. In my experience, that will outweigh every other feature as long as you're not buying a set with the world's crappiest speakers and mic.

Some of those ear cups can be so stiff that they feel like they were designed for Fred Flintstone. Also they can squeeze your head too hard, etc. Doesn't matter how impressive the pseudo7.1 surround is at that point, you won't like wearing it

Get something that feels like a pillow on your skull, especially if you plan on using it a lot

My take, at least.

Good luck! :cool:
from what I've read, the SteelSeries pretty much excel when it comes to comfort due to their ski band thingy on top

thanks for the feedback :D

Rossco EZ

recently got the 9x after i asked for advice from members on here and can say it’s great! very comfortable and really light and it connects just like a controller. sound is very nice too and has a game/party chat sound slider so you can adjust without going into a party settings. also has bluetooth so you can connect to a phone if you like and use discord whilst gaming or even playing some music from your phone. battery life is good too i’ve used it a lot so far and it lasts a long time.

Last edited:
You should check the Audeze Penrose X ones

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
You should check the Audeze Penrose X ones

I mention it in the OP ;)

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
i have a pair coming from amazon i ordered yesterday, i tried them at a local PC store (CCL) and found the sound to be amazing and crystal clear...good bass and also the atmos works so well.

how’s the comfort?

Tranquil

I own a steel series because I really like the sound of over-ear headphones. But every set I've purchased including the steel series gives me a head ache after 30 minutes. In-ear seems to be the only type I can wear all day in comfort.

That said if you don't have any issues with comfort the steel series sounds great.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies man, so go for them, unfortunately they have been delayed until November 1st, but they’re worth the wait.

Audeze is a safe bet

I thought the Penrose for PS were delayed until Nov 1st and the Penrose X have an unknown delay window?

I thought the Penrose for PS were delayed until Nov 1st and the Penrose X have an unknown delay window?

afaik Penrose will start shipping next 26th of October while Penrose X will do around November 1st, actually this is what I got from HiFi Headphones:

We are sorry to inform you that the Audeze Penrose and Penrose X shipments have been delayed. Audeze have stated that the Penrose will ship to us on the 26th October, and the Penrose X on or around the 1st November.

Please note that the shipping time from Audeze to our warehouse is roughly 3-5 working days and we will dispatch the items as soon as possible to our customers. The above dates are subject to change should there be any further delays, in which case you will be informed via email.

Well, I knew about the delay, actually HiFi Headphones is the official distributor of Audeze in Europe, so I trust them. The Penroses were supposed to be released on September iirc, delays are a bummer but I guess we have to deal with them nowdays, actually I rather wait for them than getting a worse pair of headsets because of not being able to wait a few more weeks, I can live with that.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I knew about the delay, actually HiFi Headphones is the official distributor of Audeze in Europe, so I trust them. The Penroses were supposed to be released on September iirc, delays are a bummer but I guess we have to deal with them nowdays, actually I rather wait for them than getting a worse pair of headsets because of not being able to wait a few more weeks, I can live with that.
I agree. Kinda why I’m debating on just waiting for Bang & Olufsen to make their announcement

IDappa

I've spent entirely too much debating this on my own so I thought I would make a thread

hoping for some feedback

I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

SteelSeries 9x

a9x_buyimg_01.png__1920x1080_q100_crop-fit_optimize_subsampling-2.png

my biggest concern here is that I've heard some report issues with the fact that it uses the integrated xbox wireless to connect to the console. apparently there are issues with the connection dropping?

Penrose X
PenroseX_ProductShots_Web_3Q_800x.jpg

cons here are no (unpaid) reviews and I read on reddit a day or so ago that people who preordered received an email stating that there will be some new delays. not sure what that's about, but I was hoping to get this around xbox series x release date. not really sure if that's possible anymore

HS75 XB
-base-hs75-xb-wireless-config-Gallery-HS75-XB-01.png_1200Wx1200H

reviews seem decent, and I like that it comes with Dolby Atmos, but it seems like the 7x has it beat when it comes to comfort? which leads me to...

SteelSeries 7x
a7x_buyimg_01.jpg__1850x800_q100_crop-scale_optimize_subsampling-2.jpg

this is where I'm currently leaning. doesn't use xbox integrated wireless unlike the 9x so that issue is gone, but it also doesn't have bluetooth which is kind of a bummer

Bang & Olufsen

355e4b0ed8a86718cd2468096b9b9190.jpg

not really sure why we have zero information on this one given that the xbox series x/s is going to be released in like 2 weeks. they announced the xbox partnership back in June. I've tried looking for more info about this online with no success.

anyways, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
I've got the 9x and don't have any problems for what its worth. I have only had them for a few weeks but yeah no audio drop outs of any kind. I am very impressed with them especially with Dolby atmos, Bluetooth feature rocks also.

Last edited:

OutRun88

They all look like great options. As someone earlier mentioned, it is probably going to come down to fit.

Whenever I'm looking at getting a new pair of headphones I find (old) reviews from reviewers that say positive things about the sound profile and fit of my current headphones. Then I search their reviews of newer headphones in which those two things are pros yet again.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
If thats the case, then the Steelseries is the way to go.
hoping they get more in stock soon on their site so I can use a discount code

I think they have a different warranty if purchased directly from them too

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who preorder the penrose x get an updated shipping timeframe estimate?

Top Bottom