• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help, setup for kids - Switch vs. XSS

Get him a Quest 2. Kids love VR.

We have a PS5 and Series X at home, relatively OK gaming PC, Switch, Quest 2. Kid plays the Quest 2 far more than the others, appears to be having the most fun when he plays.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Seriously, go for the SWITCH for your young kids and let them enjoy and see them SMILE with the outstanding collection of Nintendo games and their world.
Mario Odyssey Dancing GIF
Nintendo Switch GIF
Video Game GIF by Fall Guys

This is not even a competition here, 100% forget the XSX, it's really a bad value for kids.

If you want good value - Xbox

If you want to get robbed on game prices - Switch.
WORST ADVICE EVER.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

You're not thinking straight, THEY ARE KIDS.

Last edited:

ksdixon

I'd stick with XBSS until July, then re-eveluate the landscape then. By then: are there extra deals on further GPUlt, or has that logitek android GP streaming device fallen in price, etc.

ksdixon

- Pad is huge, I think my kids will have difficulty playing it (3-year old for sure)
Unless I got duped earlier today on Twitter, MS are bringing back their best controller, the 360 pad for new consoles. It was hella small compared to anything after or before it.

- Probably second pad needed, so 50€
Both XB and Switch have controller backwards compatability with XB1 and Wii pads. Could probably pickup 2nd pad quite cheaply

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
XSS for the instant giant library of game sim Game Pass and parental controls, and less for them to destroy.

plip.plop

PowerA makes a nano controller.
Here's a picture for a comparison of the standard controller. The one drawback (for some people) it's a wired controller.
BnbgQXr.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
OP don’t listen to the Series S crowd. For a 3 and 5 year old Nintendo box Xbox all over the ring for fun. Game Pass might get crap brainless 4/10 games like Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol but trust me, you want your children to experience games like Mario & Zelda if you want them to appreciate gaming.

plip.plop

OP don’t listen to the Series S crowd. For a 3 and 5 year old Nintendo box Xbox all over the ring for fun. Game Pass might get crap brainless 4/10 games like Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol but trust me, you want your children to experience games like Mario & Zelda if you want them to appreciate gaming.
But the series S can do emulation. so they would be able to experience those games and more.

Banjo64

cumsessed
But the series S can do emulation. so they would be able to experience those games and more.
Whilst that’s a valid comment, expecting a 3 and 5 year old to be able to load and navigate Retroarch is in unreasonable expectation. The Series S is also incapable of emulating the Wii U or Switch, so you won’t be getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, BotW, Tears of the Kingdom, Smash Ultimate or Mario Odyssey, which are at the pinnacle of their respective franchises.

The question I have is what games are available on Xbox that are must have quality games for a 3 and 5 year old? And I can’t think of a single one that’s not on Switch.

ive got a 5 and 3 yr old.

i'd say go switch. they absolutely love playing the kirby demo (2 levels) on it. i'm sure theyd like other games as well, but i severely restrict what they play and how much.

considering getting the full kirby game for myself to play which would open up more levels for them than the demo..... also considering animal crossing, and yoshi.

also, nintendo online seems like a no brainer since it opens up access to a lot of the old games for kids to check out for funzies.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Xss with gamepass. Absolute no brainer. They can jump around from game to game.

As a longtime dad... I disagree with this one strongly. I'd say that "they can jump around from game to game" is exactly what you're trying to strongly avoid with a system purchase, possibly above all other considerations.

Jumping around from one game to another with little investment is what you get on platforms like the iPad--it's basically the perfect recipe for kids to do absolutely nothing but download new shiny items all day and never get past the very first serious challenge they encounter.

The key thing you want to develop as a parent is long-term investment in things, robust endurance when a game gets hard, and the exact opposite of a disposable attitude towards media and content. Make them want serious games that have lengthy value (eg. BOTW, perfect for kids since it has higher tiers of things to do as they get better), let them ask for specific games or save up for them, then have them experience gratitude towards the ones they actually own. None of this games-as-mindless-netflix nonsense that unfortunately is part of the same brain melt happening on all platforms to the current generation.

Topher

Gold Member

I tend to agree. I've got young nieces and nephews and watching the having a ball playing Smash Brothers at my brothers house tells me Nintendo is the way to go at that age.

lachesis

3 and 5 years old?
I'd say Wii, if you can find it super cheap. Or 3DS, if you can find it super cheap.

It think they may be too young for XSS and even Switch. It's pretty hefty to handle. Not sure of durability of Switch screen or whatnot.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As a longtime dad... I disagree with this one strongly. I'd say that "they can jump around from game to game" is exactly what you're trying to strongly avoid with a system purchase, possibly above all other considerations.

Jumping around from one game to another with little investment is what you get on platforms like the iPad--it's basically the perfect recipe for kids to do absolutely nothing but download new shiny items all day and never get past the very first serious challenge they encounter.

The key thing you want to develop as a parent is long-term investment in things, robust endurance when a game gets hard, and the exact opposite of a disposable attitude towards media and content. Make them want serious games that have lengthy value (eg. BOTW, perfect for kids since it has higher tiers of things to do as they get better), let them ask for specific games or save up for them, then have them experience gratitude towards the ones they actually own. None of this games-as-mindless-netflix nonsense that unfortunately is part of the same brain melt happening on all platforms to the current generation.

Interesting take. Maybe I worded it incorrectly. More content for the money I should say but I agree with your point.

SirTerry-T

I'd be more inclined to give them each a kiddie version of the kindle fire HD pad or something. Plus...knowing what me and my brother were like as young kids (similar age gap to your kids) that Switch wouldn't last five minutes as we fought tooth and nail over who gets to play it undocked :)

Ah....the joys of parenting, glad mine have grown up (a bit). ;)

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I'm sure someone already said get MQ2 and resident evil but I would advise against. You should hold for Callisto Protocol.

Other than that you should go with xbox here. Gamepass should be the driving force here. My kids have download everything off of PS plus even if it's only for 10 minutes.

Yeah you can buy a quality switch game but kids need a variety. Most of them have ADD anyway.

Top Bottom