• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Music Suggestions

crozier

So I'm 40 and know next to nothing about music: a few radio stations here and there, some CDs in my 20's, but certainly nothing outside the mainstream. This thread was inspired by a post of mine a few days ago where I admitted an ignorance of music. Well, I have a soul in case that's called into question again, just for some reason unknown to me I was turned off of music at an early age. Now I need helping getting acquainted with it.

I just got a Spotify account, so I could use some help. Just list each genre you care about, and one artist as a suggestion. If you only had one artist to sell that genre, use that.

These are not my top favorites per se, but I created a new playlist a couple of weeks ago that I ended up liking a lot, so here's a couple of tracks taken from it to get you started:
Post-rock -- Forever Lost by God Is An Astronaut

Post-metal -- Campaign by Russian Circles

Shoegaze/alt rock -- Ritchie Sacramento by Mogwai

ShadowLag

I can't pass up another chance to post a Dream Theater video :messenger_beaming:

Progressive Rock / Metal: DREAM THEATER

There's also a side project band consisting of 3/4 of the members, called Liquid Tension Experiment, basically Dream Theater without vocals and a bit more raw:

MHubert

Edit: Some videos didn't embed so just posted the links

Here is a mix of some of the music I listen to atm - maybe you will like some of it:

Mon Laferte:

Newen Afrobeat:
youtube.com/watch?v=mFSRCG4DrmI

Thundercat:

Estas Tonne:

Sadistic Mika Band:

Andrew Bird:
youtube.com/watch?v=fUb7r3AjgHI&list=PLTvLM3ZDH4OZ54mxKRb-1SXubrJ6OjxvF&index=85&t=1s

Jenny & The Mexicats:
youtube.com/watch?v=yng5CTT8Ogk&list=PLTvLM3ZDH4OZ54mxKRb-1SXubrJ6OjxvF&index=76

Tinariwen:
youtube.com/watch?v=PItnw3Z7WgY&list=PLTvLM3ZDH4OZ54mxKRb-1SXubrJ6OjxvF&index=48&t=893s

Allegri:
youtube.com/watch?v=H3v9unphfi0&list=PLTvLM3ZDH4OZ54mxKRb-1SXubrJ6OjxvF&index=12

Natalia Lafourcade:

Last edited:

MHubert

Continued:

Maurice Durufle:

A. R. Rahman:
youtube.com/watch?v=pZy8115sNXM&list=PLTvLM3ZDH4OZ54mxKRb-1SXubrJ6OjxvF&index=36

Mastodon:

Zakir Hussain:

Zakir Hussain + John Mclaughlin:

Mariachi Flor De Toloache:

Last edited:

Mato

I love Bohren & Der Club of Gore. This is one of their earlier albums called Sunset Mission.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
After watching Edgar Wright's highly entertaining doc on the band, I've been digging into Sparks back catalogue and its glorious.

I guess Ron's relentless irony and self-awareness might grate on some people, but its so witty and fun.

Anyhoo... Try this gem from 1980.

And this more recent example, which really shows that the brothers Mael have both insane talent but durability as creative artists

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I also suggest Siriusmo. He is a pianist from Berlin who produces small electronic symphonies. One of my favorite producers and artist all around.
I don't know what it is but his sound goes under my skin and i get goosebumps from a lot of his compositions.

Last edited:

Tschumi

RECAPTURE THE ENERGY OF YOUR 20s AND CLIMB A MOUNTAIN AT A FAST TROT
:lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire:

:lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire: :lollipop_fire:
flame thrower fire GIF
flamethrower GIF
flamethrower GIF

riot GIF
Happy New Year Celebration GIF by Faith Holland
Celebration Sparkling GIF by DreamWorks Spirit
Fire Love GIF
crowd riot GIF

"Cause it's getting kind of quiet in my city's head
It takes a teenage riot to get me out of bed right now"​

Last edited:
Metal

rap

rave / techno / trance whatever

and since you're old bastard and might not like any of that i'll post this bonus

rock

Are you in your 30s-40s? These picks are some that I would choose and not much "new' in my playlists. Big metal fan of that era, also was in to classic rock at times too.

Dark Star

These girls know what they're doing. Very catchy rock music. Probably my favorite band of 2021.

Skating Polly is great too!

Another new female fronted band, more metal inspired. Courtney LaPlante is a fantastic vocalist, one of the best in the industry.

If you're into that 90's shoegaze sound, Lush, Slowdive and Ride are all excellent bands.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

I also suggest Siriusmo. He is a pianist from Berlin who produces small electronic symphonies. One of my favorite producers and artist all around.
I don't know what it is but his sound goes under my skin and i get goosebumps from a lot of his compositions.

Lovely bouncy, breezy stuff.
Thanks for making me aware of this artist. Ordered some albums just now, getting some early Royksopp vibes :)

RAÏSanÏa

Few flavours of melancholic pop rock. They're different enough by time and hairsplitting to be their own

Slightly outside the mainstream soft dark progressive rock with female vocals from the early 2000s
slow build into cresendo. Great album. Versatile for multiple styles of playlists from conversation, driving, study, burning one and sailing along.

Theme of that one goes well with a cut from Chevelle's latest

Throwing an old FrenchCanadian song in here for the tabernak of it

Outro

I am pretty eclectic but everything falls under "Indie"; someone posted Jungle earlier as electronic, but I'd put them in an indie category, which is really broad:

Best album of 2021 for me so far is Lord Huron's Long Lost, and they would be up there around #3 on bands I care about in indie music:

Last edited:

AJUMP23

The Joshua tree and auctung baby by U2 are amazing albums for a person of your age.
Also some sting, Bryan Adams, queen. All worth listening to.

RAÏSanÏa

Check out soundtrack playlists when you notice songs you like while watching series/movies

Last edited:
Top Bottom