• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann: Next big Naughty Dog game being worked on – "We're already into our next Project"

Musilla

- The Last Of Us Online is their next one game to be released, lots of info "coming later in the year"
- Naughty Dog has restructured to be able to develop multiple games at the same time (be it new IPs, sequels or both).
- The studio now has a large team of producers, game directors and writers that allow them to be more organized.
- The next big thing after TLOU Online is already into development and although he acknowledges the fan request for a TLOU Part 3, the next project has already been chosen and it's something that the whole studio chose because it's something that will keep everyone excited for years to come.
- TLOU Online is the first TLOU project that he was "just" producing/overseeing", as he wasn't its main director or writer.

Musilla

I listened and re-listened and the "Not TLOU3" is really not that clear to me.
Yeah, I read the news in another place and it said that it was not TLOU3

Here his exact words
"I know the fans really want The Last of Us Part III---I hear about it all the time---and all I can say is that we're already into our next project. So the decision has already been made. I can't say what it is, but that's the process we went through---that there was a lot of consideration of different things, and we picked the thing we're most excited for."

He literally never says it's not Part 3.

Do people even listen?

All he said is he knows fans want Part 3.

And that they've already started there next project which was the project they where most excited by.

So could be Part 3 or might be something else but he literally never said it's not Part 3.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Here his exact words
"I know the fans really want The Last of Us Part III---I hear about it all the time---and all I can say is that we're already into our next project. So the decision has already been made. I can't say what it is, but that's the process we went through---that there was a lot of consideration of different things, and we picked the thing we're most excited for."
Yeah this. It could be anything really and the above could hold true. Mind you I hope we get a new IP after TLOU Online and TLOU3 to end the generation.

Here his exact words
Thanks for quoting. That in no way confirms or denies it being TLOU III, so the thread title is misleading

He knows how to PR. People will read his words and interpret it however they want

Last edited:
I could care less about TLOU3. However Naughty Dog are one of Playstation's most prized studios, and for good reason. They've consistently broken new ground in gaming visuals and story telling. I'd love for them to move onto something new, something very different. There was rumours of a fantasy IP, which would be very exciting, it'll really put the ND team to test, especially when it comes to gameplay mechanics, combat design and likely open-world design, whilst also being a visual benchmark.

I love the Last of Us franchise and loved Part 2. But please, it won’t hurt to give us a new IP BEFORE another entry in the series. Especially with factions coming out. It can wait. Shoot, I wouldn’t mind getting it after season 2 of the series. If their team is as big as they’re implying. Make both games simultaneously and release the new IP after factions.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I believe it's one or two things.

1. A new IP that will release in the next few years and then TLOU3 goes into full production.
2. It's Last of Us Part III.

Please don't ever work on Uncharted again, I don't wanna see Drake's skull being crushed by Nadine or some new strong female character

Just keep focusing on TLOU sequels or a new IP, but Uncharted is better left alone for its own good
I agree. I'm replaying Uncharted 4 right now, and it's fun, but I gotta say, climbing "puzzles" were played out by the end of Uncharted 2. It's not engaging gameplay anymore (or maybe it never really was)

YukiOnna

Please don't ever work on Uncharted again, I don't wanna see Drake's skull being crushed by Nadine or some new strong female character

Just keep focusing on TLOU sequels or a new IP, but Uncharted is better left alone for its own good
Thankfully, they said they moved on from Uncharted IIRC. I hope a new Uncharted game is under San Diego or whatever studio the rumor mill is for.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's going to be TLOU3 guys. Craig Mazin said that the tv show wont finish the story before the game which means the game is coming out in the next 2-3 years. It will probably take them 2 years to do season 2 and another year or so to do season 3 which is supposedly going to cover TLOU2. My guess is that by the time season 3 comes out in 2026, we would have TLOU3 out already and season 3 will cover some events from that game.

He also said Naughty Dog's been restructured in a way to allow them to work on multiple games, we're most likely getting TLOU3 along with a new IP this gen.

Obviously this is the Ideal scenario.

The only issue is they need to get Part 3 out before or within a few months of the release of Season 3 of the show which will wrap up part 2.

So they are working on a clock here as if there is a Part 3 it needs to come out soon enough that it can also be adapted

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Or 3. It's both.

And both are being developed at same time or close to one another. Don't forget, they're not working on 1 thing at a time. They have multiple teams within the studio.

I do think TLOU3 is technically in development, but maybe not in full production. Last of Us Part II went into full production after Lost Legacy in 2017, but the preproduction started in 2014.

Sony probably wants to release the game before season and I think there's enough time to release it before then.

skneogaf

It will probably be a scenario like game of thrones where the TV show comes out before the game so playing the 3rd game will be worse.

I do think TLOU3 is technically in development, but maybe not in full production. Last of Us Part II went into full production after Lost Legacy in 2017, but the preproduction started in 2014.

Sony probably wants to release the game before season and I think there's enough time to release it before then.
I doubt that you will see TLOU 3 anytime soon. If anything you'll see at end of PS5 life cycle in the same year as PS6 is coming out sometime in 2028 or 2029. TLOU came out in 2013, same year as PS4 was releasing for the PS3 in the summer. TLOU 2 came out in summer of 2020 in same year as PS5 was releasing a fee months later. The same will be for TLOU 3.

Last edited:
I like how ND moves on to another franchise after 2 or 3 games on the current one.
Make no bones about it, it is a risk.
Uncharted was a top of the food chain game, and the easy solution for ND would have been to do another one, yet they took the risk to do TLOU.
It will be really interesting to see what they come up with next.

skit_data

Hopefully Factions will launching this year or early next year at the least. It’s been almost 3 years since TLOU came out. It should be ready fairly soon unless they completely scrapped everything and started all over close to the release of TLOU2.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm not a big Naughty Dog fan but I acknowledge their talent and am super curious to see how they operate with multiple full blown teams. I do wonder if this next project has anything to do with Druckmann's comments about taking inspiration from FromSoft's games. Where they may want to make something that does environmental story telling, the way games like Elden Ring do, instead of what has become ND's signature cinematic storytelling.

There was a time talk of the next Naughty Dog game would get me all excited......but those days are gone.

Me too! Which is really sad, they used to be my favorite go to dev, but now it feels a lot like Neil Druckmann is just pushing for a narrative or something.

SSfox

Don't care about a 3rd TLOU, to me franchise ended with first game. If the next ND game is new IP then it's great news and it's what Studio needed imo.

If only would be same for Rockstar, but those lowtier devs are blocked to GTA forever it seems

Top Bottom